Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Florida Betty posted:

How would this work? If they don't have access to a library, they certainly don't have the money to buy ebooks, they may not have internet access to get ebooks from the library (the availability of which is pretty lovely to begin with, even in the rich areas), and I doubt public domain books are really the kind of thing to get kids into reading.

Same way it works with laptops, which has been done a ton of times. Believe it or not, poor rear end kids don't just turn around and sell the computers most of the time.

A single copy of Windows and Office alone, disregarding the hardware, is (at retail price) like 300+ ebooks at full retail price, not even considering the amount of stuff most schools teach that is public domain... Of course since we're talking about digital media in every case here, it costs the company providing it, ohhhhh, approximately less than nothing. Amazon could unload refurb Kindles and probably come out close to even on tax breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

IRQ posted:

Same way it works with laptops, which has been done a ton of times. Believe it or not, poor rear end kids don't just turn around and sell the computers most of the time.

A single copy of Windows and Office alone, disregarding the hardware, is (at retail price) like 300+ ebooks at full retail price, not even considering the amount of stuff most schools teach that is public domain... Of course since we're talking about digital media in every case here, it costs the company providing it, ohhhhh, approximately less than nothing. Amazon could unload refurb Kindles and probably come out close to even on tax breaks.

Laptops are different. There is plenty of free software out there, and you can do a lot with a laptop even if you don't spend any extra money on software and peripherals. But ereaders are no use without ebooks. Yes, there are a ton of public domain ebooks available, and some of them are required reading for school, but that's not a lot. In my experience schools don't use a lot of public domain material, and certainly not enough to make ebook readers cost-effective. For this idea to work, ebooks would have to become much more easily available from libraries. But as it stands now, with certain publishers making ebook lending even more difficult and expensive than it already is, I can't see it being worth it at the moment.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shakespeare is free. A lot of other poo poo is too. Most of the mainstays of the English canon.

And even for books that are under copyright, it costs Amazon literally nothing to "print" them.

To claim that ebooks are bad for public education is just loving stupid.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

IRQ posted:

Shakespeare is free. A lot of other poo poo is too. Most of the mainstays of the English canon.

And even for books that are under copyright, it costs Amazon literally nothing to "print" them.

I'm not saying that ebooks are bad for public education. I'm saying it would be a waste of money to hand out ebook readers to kids with the expectation that it will cause them to read more. It would help some kids, certainly, kids who are already inclined to reading. But I don't think that handing out the collected works of Shakespeare and Jane Austen to a non-reading middle-schooler is going to do much.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Space Harrier posted:

Since Borders just filed for bankruptcy, it looks like Kobobooks is trying to do some damage control by offering 20% of the first book you purchase from them. I registered, and instantly received a coupon for 35%. Their store seems about as decent as any to me, from what I've browsed.

That's not the half of it: our local Borders is one of the ones closing, and they actually have the Kobo marked down to $79.99 for the liquidation sale (their new Borders price is $99.99, according to the website). If you've got one in your area being shuttered, it might be worth the trip.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

IRQ posted:

I don't think kids are going to care about an ebook reader, unless it's like an iPad with games. If they don't want to look at printed pages, why would they care about words on a b&w screen?

Shakespeare and "mainstays of the English canon" are exactly what the kids are not going to read. If we could easily give them YA like Harry Potter.. it might get some kids reading. I don't think this is cheaper then printed books. Checking ebooks out of a library website is still a pain.

Ebooks aren't bad for public education, but I don't think that spending money on readers will really mean we'll see a huge increase in readership among kids. We give kids laptops, because we live in the future, and its technology. But do they really make a difference in grades/studying? It's great that they have a mobile word processor so that they can do their homework while they watch TV, but I think a lot of these kids getting these free laptops are more concerned about getting instant messaging and Facebook working.

Regardless, I'm planning on getting a Kindle soon. It will be more convenient especially when I have to stand, during my bus commute to and from work.

I think it would be cool if the kids who actually put in effort, and care about reading get ebook readers. Not everybody though, that would be an enormous waste.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

EasyEW posted:

That's not the half of it: our local Borders is one of the ones closing, and they actually have the Kobo marked down to $79.99 for the liquidation sale (their new Borders price is $99.99, according to the website). If you've got one in your area being shuttered, it might be worth the trip.

Even at that price, I couldn't recommend the Kobo. A few months ago, my girlfriend was reviewing various e-readers for her job, and I was able to try out pretty much every one out there. The Kobo had by far the crappiest display and clunkiest design. That was before it bricked and she had to deal with some truly horrible customer service to get a replacement.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What's the easiest way to transfer a book from Kindle for PC to an actual kindle, without using the USB cable?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Anyone with a Sony care to comment on the backlight/brightness display feature in terms of battery life or whatever? I've been using a current-generation Kindle for a while now but do so much reading in the dark that it's really starting to bug me.

Lamps and external backlights are not always available and are bulky, respectively, and in any case both disturb anyone sleeping next to you.

Edit: Thoughts on the translation dictionary would be welcome as well. If it's smooth enough to use as a resource for language learning it would be loving incredible.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 27, 2011

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's the easiest way to transfer a book from Kindle for PC to an actual kindle, without using the USB cable?

If it's a book you've bought from Amazon, you can just download it on your Kindle by syncing and checking for items - they're tied to the Amazon account rather than the device. If it doesn't download immediately it'll be in your Archived items.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Leovinus posted:

If it's a book you've bought from Amazon, you can just download it on your Kindle by syncing and checking for items - they're tied to the Amazon account rather than the device. If it doesn't download immediately it'll be in your Archived items.

Yeah, that's why it's complicated, it's a book I've downloaded from manybooks.net but that isn't in the kindle store. Also, for some reason my windows 7 desktop is incompatible with the kindle USB cable and won't show the kindle in My computer (even with a replacement USB cable). I can transfer books by copying them to a usb drive, then to a second computer running windows XP, then from that computer to my kindle, but that's a royal pain.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yeah, that's why it's complicated, it's a book I've downloaded from manybooks.net but that isn't in the kindle store. Also, for some reason my windows 7 desktop is incompatible with the kindle USB cable and won't show the kindle in My computer (even with a replacement USB cable). I can transfer books by copying them to a usb drive, then to a second computer running windows XP, then from that computer to my kindle, but that's a royal pain.

Well, there's not really any other option AFAIK. The Kindle USB cable is a standard microUSB cable, though, so it's unlikely that your PC is incompatible with the cable itself.

Are you plugging it directly into one of your PC's USB ports? If you're plugging into a hub it's possible that it's not reading the Kindle because of power concerns. Try plugging the kindle directly into the back of the PC using one of the direct-to-motherboard USB slots.

Otherwise it's likely that the Kindle USB driver installed incorrectly on the first plug-in. Not sure how you'd go about fixing that, though. Reinstalling Windows would fix it but there's probably a better option I don't know about which isn't just nuking your whole PC.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Leovinus posted:

Well, there's not really any other option AFAIK. The Kindle USB cable is a standard microUSB cable, though, so it's unlikely that your PC is incompatible with the cable itself.

Are you plugging it directly into one of your PC's USB ports? If you're plugging into a hub it's possible that it's not reading the Kindle because of power concerns. Try plugging the kindle directly into the back of the PC using one of the direct-to-motherboard USB slots.

Otherwise it's likely that the Kindle USB driver installed incorrectly on the first plug-in. Not sure how you'd go about fixing that, though. Reinstalling Windows would fix it but there's probably a better option I don't know about which isn't just nuking your whole PC.

Yeah, I've tried all of that, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the kindle drivers, I've downloaded applications that clean up and uninstall all the old USB drivers you'd forgotten you had installed and remove them from device manager, i've gone around my rear end in a top hat to get to my elbow.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Its possible the port inside your kindle is screwed. Might need to call amazon tech support and see if they can send you a new one. People have said in there, they often do this for free, but I'm not sure.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Amazon CS is supposed to be really good.

I'll be finding out for myself Monday as the drat thing won't turn on tonight. I have the unlighted case which supposedly has problems and this is the second time my Kindle has spazed out on me refusing to turn on.

e: welp, apparently the case drained the battery

It also has that hairline crack in the lower right corner of the screen so I guess I may as well bitch about that too while I have them on the phone.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 27, 2011

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a thing on the options screen about sending a document to your Kindle using a Kindle specific email address, so maybe check that out?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Why would you bother doing this instead of just mailing it? Do you not have a wireless network?

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
I have a kindle question: I recently bought a book that had a lot of formatting errors and it's now been removed from sale (presumably because of the formatting errors). Does anyone know what happens in these cases? Assuming a corrected version is released at some point will I be able to download it?

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

I have a kindle question: I recently bought a book that had a lot of formatting errors and it's now been removed from sale (presumably because of the formatting errors). Does anyone know what happens in these cases? Assuming a corrected version is released at some point will I be able to download it?

Doubtful, unless the same publisher releases a format-corrected version as an update to the original (I own a couple of books that have been updated in this way, but it was generally for science books that were updating data and such). Amazon support will probably grant you a refund if the book is particularly badly formatted.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Space Harrier posted:

Even at that price, I couldn't recommend the Kobo. A few months ago, my girlfriend was reviewing various e-readers for her job, and I was able to try out pretty much every one out there. The Kobo had by far the crappiest display and clunkiest design. That was before it bricked and she had to deal with some truly horrible customer service to get a replacement.

but at $80 for an Android tablet, thats pretty awesome!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ara posted:

Why would you bother doing this instead of just mailing it? Do you not have a wireless network?

Well, I was wondering if there was some more direct way. I tend to download a lot of books at once, ten or twelve at a go, and when I'm getting them from somewhere other than the kindle store, like Manybooks.net or wherever, transferring them all via email is cumbersome -- the easiest way is via cable.

Anyway, though, problem solved; today I was *given* a Kindle 3 by my soon-to-be-in-laws. And the cable on that one works fine! Now I just have to figure out which of the 800-odd books I have on the thing I should transfer over, and which to backup/archive. . .

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

tirinal posted:

Anyone with a Sony care to comment on the backlight/brightness display feature in terms of battery life or whatever? I've been using a current-generation Kindle for a while now but do so much reading in the dark that it's really starting to bug me.

Lamps and external backlights are not always available and are bulky, respectively, and in any case both disturb anyone sleeping next to you.

Edit: Thoughts on the translation dictionary would be welcome as well. If it's smooth enough to use as a resource for language learning it would be loving incredible.

It doesn't have a backlight, and the brightness just changes the "color" of the page (ie how much black is in it). Any device with a backlight will be far more intrusive than using any of the hundreds of available book lights, or lighted cases for the readers.

PRS650C here.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Well, I was wondering if there was some more direct way. I tend to download a lot of books at once, ten or twelve at a go, and when I'm getting them from somewhere other than the kindle store, like Manybooks.net or wherever, transferring them all via email is cumbersome -- the easiest way is via cable.

Anyway, though, problem solved; today I was *given* a Kindle 3 by my soon-to-be-in-laws. And the cable on that one works fine! Now I just have to figure out which of the 800-odd books I have on the thing I should transfer over, and which to backup/archive. . .

Just for future reference, if you use Calibre you can bulk-email as many books as you want. If you're using a Gmail account it will stagger them every 5 minutes so that it doesn't start bouncing them like it used to.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

You will get an email when a corrected version is put up and after you respond that you want the new one, it should automatically update the next time you connect to the network.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 1, 2011

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
I just ordered an international kindle :australia: and a the official leather lighted case. Anything pertinant I should know? Apart from the fact I've purchased an awesome E-Reader? :v:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

You're going to spend a lot more time reading. Since this past Christmas I've averaged about 70 pages a day.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Beastie posted:

You're going to spend a lot more time reading. Since this past Christmas I've averaged about 70 pages a day.

Ditto. poo poo I've read more than I ever thought I would with my Kindle.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Beastie posted:

Sweet. I can't wait. The Kindle pretty much cures all my annoyances I have with reading normal books.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I got my kindle Weds and have read at least 100 pages. It's fantastic!

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

DrDraxium posted:

I just ordered an international kindle :australia: and a the official leather lighted case. Anything pertinant I should know? Apart from the fact I've purchased an awesome E-Reader? :v:

You've purchased an aw... oh. Yeah, I have the same thing. It's great. No complaints at all.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

DrDraxium posted:

Sweet. I can't wait. The Kindle pretty much cures all my annoyances I have with reading normal books.

What were those annoyances exactly?

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

maxnmona posted:

Hmmm. The growing library shelf. Having to move books everywhere I go. Paperbacks (the majority of my book purchases) becoming tattered and worn quite easily. Hmmm ... having to purchase them from a book store for a steep fee. You know, the usual.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

DrDraxium posted:

Hmmm. The growing library shelf. Having to move books everywhere I go. Paperbacks (the majority of my book purchases) becoming tattered and worn quite easily. Hmmm ... having to purchase them from a book store for a steep fee. You know, the usual.

But you still have to purchase them from a book store for an even steeper fee.

The only thing I like better about a kindle is it makes it possible to read places I otherwise couldn't (really really crowded trains for instance). Otherwise I love physical books.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm turning my whole life digital as much as possible. I'm tired of music cd's, dvd's, and books piling up on shelves that I'm only going to listen/read/view once or twice. I don't even mind paying $2-$4 more for a digital copy of a paperback book for these reasons. I only wish more publishers would get off their rear end and start converting their back catalogues of books into digital format. I stream movies with Netflix, buy music through Itunes, books through Kindle, and I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my FIOS TV and going internet only with them.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 11, 2011

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

maxnmona posted:

A weird annoyance from me actually. I actually bought the Kindle and its case so I could read in the dark (it was a little pull out light). My room is huge and the light switch is at the other end. And I don't have a lamp for . .. some reason. Reading sends me to sleep after a while so it's an activity I do every night; before the Kindle I'd have to get up and walk right across the room and turn the light switch off and I'm weird enough with sleep that just that little activity could wake me fully up again.

I'm also planning to move soon and didn't want to take my two bookshelves with me, considering I buy books every month and need a third one soon.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
For me the not lugging tons of heavy book boxes around was a big draw. We had serious plans to convert a room into a library, and then I got pregnant, so we made a nursery instead. We just don't have enough room for all the books I own. My Kindle has meant that I can whittle down my collection to just those books that have a special memory attached to them, and the rest can be in e-book format. Plus it's awesome to take trips and not bring 10 books with me.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

the best thing about a kindle is its sleep inducing qualities. I'm usually not the nap taking type but ever since i got my kindle, I'll come home from work, lay down on the couch and in 45 min in front of my kindle i'm out like a light. Same for at night. For the longest time i would stream netflix until i got sleepy but now i bust out my kindle and in no time flat I'm drifting off.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm turning my whole life digital as much as possible. I'm tired of music cd's, dvd's, and books piling up on shelves that I'm only going to listen/read/view once or twice. I don't even mind paying $2-$4 more for a digital copy of a paperback book for these reasons. I only wish more publishers would get off their rear end and start converting their back catalogues of books into digital format. I stream movies with Netflix, buy music through Itunes, books through Kindle, and I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my FIOS TV and going internet only with them.
This a million times. The whole digital minimalism approach to stuff these days just leaves my life feeling less cluttered and more organised. The thought that the Kindle will probably be the last thing I need for reading for many, many years is a superbly appealing feature.

meanolmrcloud posted:

the best thing about a kindle is its sleep inducing qualities. I'm usually not the nap taking type but ever since i got my kindle, I'll come home from work, lay down on the couch and in 45 min in front of my kindle i'm out like a light. Same for at night. For the longest time i would stream netflix until i got sleepy but now i bust out my kindle and in no time flat I'm drifting off.
I've read that due to the e-ink pearl technology mimicking real paper, you can get sleepy properly, just like reading a normal book than if you were reading off of a CRT type screen (correct me if I'm wrong) i.e. ipad, LCD monitor, laptop, mobile phone screen etc.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

maxnmona posted:

But you still have to purchase them from a book store for an even steeper fee.

This is not true at all. Quite the opposite actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

IRQ posted:

This is not true at all. Quite the opposite actually.
Most of the books that I've searched for (that aren't public domain) are generally more expensive in digital format, at least here. For example everything by Orwell is about 50% more expensive on the UK Kindle Store than the paperback equivalent.

• Locked thread