Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Somebody stole my motherfucking seat. What the gently caress? Who the hell does that? On a related note, does anybody know how to lock down a seat on a Bonneville?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Somebody stole my motherfucking seat. What the gently caress? Who the hell does that? On a related note, does anybody know how to lock down a seat on a Bonneville?

Obviously someone that needed a seat, which is probably more offensive that another biker would do that over some random jerk.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

SlightlyMadman posted:

:psyduck:

There's a guy over at the Triumph RAT forums who has a flip-up seat from a modified Scrambler solo seat. You may be able to see how that was done and add a lock to it.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Skier posted:

:psyduck:

There's a guy over at the Triumph RAT forums who has a flip-up seat from a modified Scrambler solo seat. You may be able to see how that was done and add a lock to it.

Link? I figure I can at least run a cable over top of the seat or something to make it difficult to remove. With any luck I can even run it through the seat somehow. I'll have to take a look at the bottom of the seat itself when I get a replacement to see.

It's really a shame there's not some sort of locking bolts I can get for it or something. I'm amazed that I seem to be the only person who's even had this problem.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
I was mistaken, it wasn't on that site. But I did find the kit.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Oh wow, that's tempting (if expensive). I wish there were some better photos of the finished product though. Oh, and Doctor Zero, I sadly think it's far more likely that the seat was stolen by one of the dozens of crackheads that wander the Baltimore city streets looking for anything not bolted down that can be taken to a pawn shop and sold for $10.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wow my neighbors are awesome. I drove into work today instead of riding. So far I've received one email and two text messages asking if I was alright because the car isn't in the driveway and it isn't snowing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://gpone.com/index.php/en/slider/3089-rossi-lorenzo-e-solo-furbo.html
Rossi:

quote:

“I would consider Stoner the favorite, but I also say that in the hope it will jinx him a little bit. On pure speed and talent he is a 10, but in terms of tactics and race craft, a little bit less. He is a crazy rider that often repeats the same mistakes. "

quote:

Lorenzo? He is great because he managed to get everyone to agree... in the sense that everyone dislikes him. He is strong, and deserves a nine and a half. I won't say that he is intelligent, because intelligent is a big word, but let's say that he is more clever than intelligent."

quote:

Superbike - "I'm thinking about WSBK for retirement, which is like the second division."
:lol:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Is that presenter even shorter than valentino? Jesus...

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap
Rossi is actually one of the taller riders in the MotoGP

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I've had an epiphany, thanks to a pack of crafty Danes.

My $200 CB750F sits mouldering under a tarpaulin in the backyard. My plan was to solidify it mechanically, maybe a set of Gixxer carbs and 900F cams, and update the looks with fresh paint and decals.

But that all changed yesterday.

I was browsing the BikeExif archives and came across the Wrenchmonkees CB750. And it speaks to me. The monochrome look, punctuated by a stark white tank. The lack of plastic sidecovers and tailpiece. Stock wheels, stock tank, stock forks, swingarm, and brakes. Junkyard fenders with a simple bob and de-chrome. It's all so simple, so straightforward...and yet so exotic.

Off to the boneyard.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I'm going to an open house demo day at a Triumph/Ducati/Aprilia/Moto Guzzi/Bimota dealership in a few hours. What are some of the bikes you guys suggest I test ride?

On my list already:
Bonneville (I just really like the way these look)
Speed or Street Triple
Sprint ST
Ducati Multistrada / one of the hypermotards
Possibly the Aprilia Dorsoduro

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

hayden. posted:

I'm going to an open house demo day at a Triumph/Ducati/Aprilia/Moto Guzzi/Bimota dealership in a few hours. What are some of the bikes you guys suggest I test ride?

On my list already:
Bonneville (I just really like the way these look)
Speed or Street Triple
Sprint ST
Ducati Multistrada / one of the hypermotards
Possibly the Aprilia Dorsoduro

Test drive a tiger 800 and compare it to the street triple for me!

Also if there is a ducati streetfighter there, you'd be cheating yourself if you didn't at least sit on it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Turns out it's mostly just the Triumphs they're demoing. The Ducatis and street triples were all booked before the first ride went out. Just got off the Sprint GT and was tremendously underwhelmed. Got the T100 next then I'm done.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

try out a Guzzi V7 Racer if they have one and tell me it's godly.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Only got a chance to do the Sprint GT and T100 unfortunately. I think they do open houses somewhat often though so I'm going to be sure to sign up early next time.

They had all the Bonneville varieties, the RSV4 R, Speed Triple, Tiger, a bunch of triumph cruisers, the Multistrada, Monster, some other naked Ducati (possibly the streetfighter, but I don't think so?), and some other sporty naked (I think from Aprilia, but I didn't see any that looked familiar on the website. It was orange/white).

Sprint GT felt terribly slow for what I think is supposed to be 130HP. It doesn't feel like it at all, even when redlining it in first. It was pretty comfy, but had me leaning farther forward than I like and it had some annoying buffeting (I'm 5'11"). Smooth acceleration. I found myself wishing I was done riding it within 10 minutes because it's terribly generic feeling, if that makes sense.

The Bonneville T100 was a lot of fun, but not on the highway (which is unfortunately where I'd be riding it most). Anything over 60MPH sucked since you're sitting bolt upright and feel like you're being pulled off. It does absolutely amazing things with what little power it has and was a lot more eventful than the GT. The seat wasn't all that bad, which is a common complaint I hear about them. The engine was pretty on or off in the upper 25% of the rev range, which wasn't great.

I sat the Speed Triple and I could tell it would be a lot of fun. Next time!

edit: after comparing the dyno charts from a Z1000 and the Sprint GT they're very similar. I wonder why I thought the Z was so much fun and the GT not so much. I guess gearing and weight?

hayden. fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 13, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is going to be awesome...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

2ndclasscitizen posted:

This is going to be awesome...

Completely loving retarded.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Holy poo poo. They better actually flat-track it once they're done :xd:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AncientTV posted:

Holy poo poo. They better actually flat-track it once they're done :xd:

Well he gave that V5-powered boardtrack racer a good flogging (despite it not having a front brake for a while), can't see why he wouldn't.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/automobiles/24KAWASAKI.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1300100754-dTM0DTPtkuRS/6WXKckTgA
(Diesel KLR650)

Ok, where the hell can I get one of these? 96MPG + 6gal tank on a motorcycle? Sign me up now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BlackMK4 posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/automobiles/24KAWASAKI.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1300100754-dTM0DTPtkuRS/6WXKckTgA
(Diesel KLR650)

Ok, where the hell can I get one of these? 96MPG + 6gal tank on a motorcycle? Sign me up now.

Join the Marines, obviously.

They've been talking about a civilian version for years and years but it still hasn't surfaced.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

quote:

In contrast to a gasoline engine, which responds instantly to the throttle, a blip of the twist grip resulted in — well, not much. It took a good three seconds for anything significant to happen.

It sounds like an amazing bike for covering long distances in harsh terrain, but I don't think I'd ever make it out of the city alive with a three second throttle response delay. These will probably never be commercially available for that reason.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

SlightlyMadman posted:

It sounds like an amazing bike for covering long distances in harsh terrain, but I don't think I'd ever make it out of the city alive with a three second throttle response delay. These will probably never be commercially available for that reason.

Well, or change your approach. I think I overestimate how 'nimble' I have to be when I'm on my triumph, because I'm having too much fun. Whereas, on my boulevard, I realize that I need to be looking out way ahead to react in time, since it's such a boat, and I just ride like I'm a bear on a tricycle unless I have alot of room ahead of me and no potential bullshit.

I could picture a bike like that being great for a regular solo commute somewhere outlandish. Like someone living in seattle working in olympia (a friend of mine actually did this poo poo).

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, I guess it would also be fantastic for highway riding.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I could picture a bike like that being great for a regular solo commute somewhere outlandish. Like someone living in seattle working in olympia (a friend of mine actually did this poo poo).

I don't blame him for not wanting to live in Olympia, but gently caress that's brutal.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

Slap a turbo on it. Turbo-diesel KLR, the ultimate riding tractor

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

redscare posted:

Slap a turbo on it. Turbo-diesel KLR, the ultimate riding tractor

Would that really change responsiveness initially, or just in the mid range?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Would that really change responsiveness initially, or just in the mid range?

Midrange only, you still need to build boost to gain any sort of benefit from the turbo.

For instance in my turbodiesel car, if you let it idle along at 800rpm in first gear (manual) and plant the go pedal you basically get this:

wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-1750RPM-RAAAAR4500RPM!CHANGEGEARNOW!

It's hilariously gutless below 1750RPM and then all the power comes in one big lump.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

remember that "crash-proof motorcycle" video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTg7PUSVidI

turns out it wasn't real, it was done as a safety awareness thing by Thames Valley Police.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2011/March/mar1611-crashproof-bikes-hoax/

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Linedance posted:

remember that "crash-proof motorcycle" video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTg7PUSVidI

turns out it wasn't real, it was done as a safety awareness thing by Thames Valley Police.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2011/March/mar1611-crashproof-bikes-hoax/

Wasn't this obviously a joke the second it came out, or am I missing something?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Wasn't this obviously a joke the second it came out, or am I missing something?

Just the fact that being 'subversive' and 'counterculture' when committed by authority seems a lot creepier, and that their intended goal made no sense whatsoever in light of the commercial. Uncrashable motorcycle is wiped out by a jerk in a truck...

What 'extra training' other than 'look both ways before pulling into the street' did they assume people would seek?

I think LD didn't mean 'turns out it wasn't real', I think he meant 'turns out it wasn't supposed to be funny--it's a poorly conceived waste of marketing budget put together by morons who accidentally looked like they were making a joke and only admitted to being responsible when they realized it didn't have anything close to its intended effect'.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

yeah looking at my quote, I have no idea why I posted it that way. I mean it obviously wasn't a real crash and nobody thought it was. I don't know why I said that :downs:?
Turns out it wasn't a real hoax like the grandma kicking the baby, it was part of some sort of deliberate message?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
From the stream-of-consciousness department:

H1-powered GPz550
LS650 Savage/Boulevard S40 scrambler
V45 Sabre street tracker

Am I the only one who daydreams up goofy poo poo like this?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bucephalus posted:

H1-powered GPz550
V45 Sabre street tracker

Nah, I'd add a boosted ZRX1100 to that list. 200hp in a street cruiser? Hell yeah.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm not talking about breaking into new markets, I'm talking about completely new brands. When you don't have a lot of money to back up your effort, you have to reach the break even point faster. One way to do that is by increasing your products price.

Dragging this over here to stop the rampant derailing in the Vids thread.

I'd say that Hyosung was effectively a new brand in the market as they had never moved into the US motorcycle market before the GT250/650R.

The other way to do it is to increase your product output, which hyosung did with VM and a decent dealer network, as well as copious amounts of advertising. If their bikes hadn't been huge piles of poo poo, I think they could have done what triumph did and come from basically nothing but a name and turn it into a supersport competitive bike in 10-15 years.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

I'd say that Hyosung was effectively a new brand in the market as they had never moved into the US motorcycle market before the GT250/650R.

The difference here being that Motus literally did not exist before. Hoysung/S&T Motors had a market share somewhere else, they had a product before entering the US market.

Z3n posted:

The other way to do it is to increase your product output

No, it is not. The other way would be to reduce costs. As a company that probably wants to capitalize on MADE IN AMERICA, and use that as a selling point, reducing costs probably isn't the easiest option. Granted, more produced units could theoretically decrease variable cost per unit, but an increase in production will most likely cause a rise in your fixed costs.

Z3n posted:

which hyosung did with VM and a decent dealer network, as well as copious amounts of advertising. If their bikes hadn't been huge piles of poo poo, I think they could have done what triumph did and come from basically nothing but a name and turn it into a supersport competitive bike in 10-15 years.

I've tried one. Calling them “huge piles of poo poo” seems a bit hyperbolic, but sure, they are not what I would call “good” motorcycles. Jincheng and Zongchen, now there's poo poo.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.

Bucephalus posted:

H1-powered GPz550
V45 Sabre street tracker

I got the GPz550. If you want to bring the BRRRRRR would could make some magic :gay:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Dragging this over here to stop the rampant derailing in the Vids thread.

The other way to do it is to increase your product output, which hyosung did with VM and a decent dealer network, as well as copious amounts of advertising. If their bikes hadn't been huge piles of poo poo, I think they could have done what triumph did and come from basically nothing but a name and turn it into a supersport competitive bike in 10-15 years.

I think you're too quick to dismiss Hyosung. Hyundai was synonymous with poo poo when they came to North America, but enough people bought them because they were cheap that they could slowly improve brand image and quality to the point where they're direct competition with Japanese brands. Hyosung is like the motorcycling equivalent of Hyundai. Nobody remembers the Pony, nobody is going to remember the GT/GV650.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

While I disagree that it is a poo poo bike, I think Z3n has a point when he calls it a boutique bike. Until we see the price tag we won't know just how boutique. It's tough to say it makes a great sport tourer when almost all bikes between 500 and 1200cc can do sport touring in the eyes of their buyers and you can choose between low price or massive option lists with all kinds of cool gizmos. So if it doesn't (but it might) measure up to the competition it needs to have the exotic desirability of things like Bimota, Norton or maybe TVR (not a bike, I know).

To me it seems like the best way to build a new brand is to be a wealthy, idle prince and go racing for a about a decade without care for profit.