Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
It's worth noting that the "If I/you mess up, all my/you past convictions will magically be freed from prison" has pretty much entered into the realm of acceptable cop movie/tv tropes.

I have seen it referenced as a plot point in Burn Notice, and Castle on TV recently as well.

It has no explanation other than that's how movies/TV portrays policemen, though it probably has its roots in the 'got off on a technicality' trope where bad guys walk away from repercussions if the cop does some minor thing wrong.

Law and Order actually tends to get that second idea right usually though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Encryptic posted:

It also shows up in Darkman during the helicopter scene

Being driven by the Coen brothers, no less.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kapalama posted:

It's worth noting that the "If I/you mess up, all my/you past convictions will magically be freed from prison" has pretty much entered into the realm of acceptable cop movie/tv tropes.

I have seen it referenced as a plot point in Burn Notice, and Castle on TV recently as well.

It has no explanation other than that's how movies/TV portrays policemen, though it probably has its roots in the 'got off on a technicality' trope where bad guys walk away from repercussions if the cop does some minor thing wrong.

It might stem from the OJ trials, where a lot of the evidence and testimonies were discredited because that one cop was racist. If the prosecutor in a major case turns out to be an insane murderer, the defendant might gain some credibility.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

JebanyPedal posted:

I was doing some thinking earlier today and I was mulling over recurring themes in films and what-not, essentially little quirks or props or events that would repeatedly appear in specific films in order to establish some sort of message or understanding within the film.

However I branched out and I got one of those terrible situations where you're trying to think of something and you've got it right on the edge of your brain but you can't really pin-point it exactly.
What I'm trying to remember is this, there is/was a specific director who would constantly reference his other films within his work, more so in the theme of recurring props or background elements than anything else. For example, (and this is a made up example, not something I remember exactly) there could be a red car of a certain make in some important scene in one of the films, and in one of his other films that same car can be seen somewhere in the background of a scene within that film.

This is pretty drat vague, but I distinctly recall that there is/was a director well-known for this. I'm fairly certain there are also several directors that could do this consistently but a good list of directors that are known for this would help just as much.

I know this was already answered, but in every Tim Burton movie Jack Skellington's head appears somewhere. (Beetlejuice's Hat, The Tree in Big Fish, I think it even shows up in his Batman movies).

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Barometer posted:

If you can find a link to this, I'd like to see it. I know "V. Vega" from Pulp Fiction and Resevior Dogs was roughly the same character but he's the only one I ever heard of.

Ah, neat. Thanks.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op4byt-DtsI

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Wow, that's some Illuminati style crossover info. :)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Encryptic posted:

It also shows up in Darkman during the helicopter scene and in the Spiderman movies, I believe.

I believe the thief who kills Uncle Ben in the first Spiderman movie is actually driving this car, from what I remember.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pixar films generally have at least one reference to Toy Story. Andy's cloud wallpaper shows up in a bunch of movies.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

dolphins are gay posted:

Pixar films generally have at least one reference to Toy Story. Andy's cloud wallpaper shows up in a bunch of movies.

The Pizza Planet truck also pops up in every film, as does John Ratzenberger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpXbCT61OlE

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tender Bender posted:

I took it to mean that anyone who was prosecuted by him (or at least the higher-ups with big lawyer money) would appeal their conviction under the premise that their prosecutor was corrupt; he was caught (in this hypothetical scenario) extorting a confession under highly illegal means, who knows what other methods he resorted to, evidence he falsified, etc. At the very least their lawyers would probably be able to challenge the chain of custody of any evidence that passed through Dent's hands.

Honestly though my understanding of the justice system is based entirely on Law and Order episodes: I remember at least once this same premise (If you gently caress up here all of your past convictions will be under scrutiny) was levied at Stabler when he did something stupid.

This should never be brought up in Law and Order SVU as every single cop outside Munch and Ice T use illegal methods every week. Stabler has beat up so many suspects innocent and guilty.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah, SVU gets ridiculous. In one episode they're overseas and Stadler just belts on a dude for like 5 minutes. I'd imagine cops can get fired for beating up suspects in other countries, even if it was romania.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

kapalama posted:

On the other hand, there is the Rampart Scandal:

quote:

As a result of the probe into falsified evidence and police perjury, 106 prior criminal convictions were overturned. The Rampart Scandal resulted in more than 140 civil lawsuits against the city of Los Angeles, costing the city an estimated $125 million in settlements.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
There's also the Jon Burge scandal in Chicago, where a police commander accused of beatings and torture resulted in a number of convictions being overturned.

These people weren't getting away with anything as a result, though, as they clearly were victims.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
Why does the IMDB trivia and goofs sections suck so much? They're often full of repeats, speculation, and factually inaccurate statements. Everything submitted supposedly gets reviewed. What gives?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Lao Tsu posted:

Why does the IMDB trivia and goofs sections suck so much? They're often full of repeats, speculation, and factually inaccurate statements. Everything submitted supposedly gets reviewed. What gives?

It's reviewed by the same sort of people that submit them. There are some galling gaffes that don't get pulled because the person who submitted it 'heard it on the internet' and the checker is also someone who 'heard it on the internet'.

All you need to do to 'confirm' it is find some other reference on the internet agreeing with it (also user submitted in many cases).

Try fact checking some common urban myths on the internet some time. You will usually dead-end at either Snopes, which, though generally good, has errors because it is just some guy on the internet, or 'The Straight Dope', which, though generally good, repeats urban myths because before the internet who could check up on him?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

SaintFu posted:

On the other hand, there is the Rampart Scandal:

morestuff posted:

There's also the Jon Burge scandal in Chicago, where a police commander accused of beatings and torture resulted in a number of convictions being overturned.

These people weren't getting away with anything as a result, though, as they clearly were victims.

Those are probably as good a reason for the trope/meme as any, but those examples are about the specific actions related to the actions of specific police people in those specific cases, specifically the police misconduct in building the cases against those people later set free, not about later malfeasance by those police in other cases.

The Batman (Burn Notice/Castle/Law and Order) trope is that you cannot act badly now, or your previous appropriate acts will be magically undone. The police in those above listed cases were acting badly from the beginning. It was their specific misconduct (unprovoked shootings, unprovoked beatings, planting of evidence, framing of suspects, stealing and dealing narcotics, bank robbery, perjury, and covering up evidence of these activities) in those cases that resulted in wrongful arrest and conviction of people who were later freed/compensated.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

kapalama posted:

It's reviewed by the same sort of people that submit them. There are some galling gaffes that don't get pulled because the person who submitted it 'heard it on the internet' and the checker is also someone who 'heard it on the internet'.

All you need to do to 'confirm' it is find some other reference on the internet agreeing with it (also user submitted in many cases).

Try fact checking some common urban myths on the internet some time. You will usually dead-end at either Snopes, which, though generally good, has errors because it is just some guy on the internet, or 'The Straight Dope', which, though generally good, repeats urban myths because before the internet who could check up on him?

The thing that really burns my rear end though is when there are like three or four entries that repeat or contradict each other. One month out of a sense of film crusader-ship I tried to clean up some of the crap on films like Shutter Island and The Godfather that was redundant or not "trivia" (bordering on just fan interpretation) and my submissions are still in limbo.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

IMDB primarily cares about money and more content = more page views/$$$.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Was there any reason whatsoever to change the name of the character from "Lecter" to "Lecktor" for the movie Manhunter?

Just seems really pointless.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

kapalama posted:

It's reviewed by the same sort of people that submit them.

Just to expand, don't forget that a person that submits a "goof" probably doesn't like the movie and wants to draw attention to its flaws. Having a biased opinions, they fill the goofs section with plotholes the movie doesn't even have and such, since they weren't paying attention in the first place. The only way this gets caught is if someone who likes the movie catches it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I believe the thief who kills Uncle Ben in the first Spiderman movie is actually driving this car, from what I remember.

Yup. It was also the witch's car in "Drag Me To Hell", Cate Blancett's car in "The Gift", and its chassis was used to make a wagon in "The Quick and The Dead".

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So in Robocop 2, there's a scene when Robo-Cain, motivated by his drug "Nuke," bumps in to the hot girlfriend he had when he was still human. He puts out this phallic/pincer thing, and the girlfriend looks at it, assumes he wants to sex her with it, and tells him (obviously scared), "It'll take some getting used to, but it will be great." Sexing her with it doesn't seem to be his intent, and he gets pissed off and flips out.

So, what was his intent of offering her the big phallic robo pincer?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GORDON posted:

So in Robocop 2, there's a scene when Robo-Cain, motivated by his drug "Nuke," bumps in to the hot girlfriend he had when he was still human. He puts out this phallic/pincer thing, and the girlfriend looks at it, assumes he wants to sex her with it, and tells him (obviously scared), "It'll take some getting used to, but it will be great." Sexing her with it doesn't seem to be his intent, and he gets pissed off and flips out.

Maybe an involuntary erection?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GORDON posted:

I haven't seen the movie in a long time, but I just assumed it was one of those "gently caress I'm not human/a man anymore" rageouts.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there a technique or just the nature of movie cameras that make models look real?

I was looking at some pictures online of various models built for various films, and even when the photo is taken in up close and the model is the only thing in frame to give away its actual size, it still looks like a model.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Snak posted:

I haven't seen the movie in a long time, but I just assumed it was one of those "gently caress I'm not human/a man anymore" rageouts.

Yeah, this was the impression I took from it as well. He realizes that he will never be able to get it on again and flips out.

Edit; Here's all of RoboCain's scenes in 6 minutes;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIAW2ZAfrWo

Barometer fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 11, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a technique or just the nature of movie cameras that make models look real?

I was looking at some pictures online of various models built for various films, and even when the photo is taken in up close and the model is the only thing in frame to give away its actual size, it still looks like a model.

Never underestimate lighting.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

twistedmentat posted:

Dangerous Days, the Blade Runner docu, goes into great detail on how they made the cityscapes work. Check it out, it's really fantastic for a retrospective piece.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

penismightier posted:

Never underestimate lighting.

It also has to do with depth of field.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Magic Hate Ball posted:

https://vimeo.com/3156959

Depth of field: Making models look like real-life and vice-versa!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I think the camera being close is the key part, since it gives a fish eye effect that makes it easy to tell it's something close. For the movie you'd want to move the camera as far back as possible and zoom in.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Here is a demonstration of that fact
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25N-4zrk390&t=30s

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Barometer posted:

Yeah, this was the impression I took from it as well. He realizes that he will never be able to get it on again and flips out.

Edit; Here's all of RoboCain's scenes in 6 minutes;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIAW2ZAfrWo

So it's a throwback to the scene in the first film where Murphy returns to his former home to find everything rotten or gone. Only instead of breaking a TV, Cain breaks a woman's skull.

Robocop 2 will always be a guilty pleasure of mine. Sure the movie is pretty much a mixed bag of subplots, but it does have some great moments. Robocop 3 was a pile of poo poo.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Found a video about this. Most relevant stuff is @ 2:00 in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvVLlWIlkBQ

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

I just watched Django and really liked it - what are some other great spaghetti Westerns out there (preferrably available on Netflix)? Netflix has a number of Django "sequels" but I have no idea if they're as well-regarded as the original.

I've seen all of Leone's Westerns with the exception of Duck, You Sucker, which I'll probably have Netflix send me next.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
Death Rides a Horse is pretty good as far as I remember. My Name is Nobody take spaghetti western tropes and makes a comedy out of them, so you might get a kick out of that too.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Sorry if this has been asked before, and also sorry if it's a stupid question, but I watched The Exorcist earlier and it's something that's always bugged me about one of my favourite films:

Where did Karras get the necklace?

We see Merrin finding it in Iraq at the start, then Karras dreams about it falling to the ground, then he's wearing it at the end and the demon pulls it off so it can jump from Reagan to him, as if it was protecting him, but it's never referenced that he actually owns it or was given it by anyway before then. I don't remember it coming up in the book, which I've read twice although it was years ago, and I hated the director's cut/version you've never seen so don't remember if it comes up there. I can understand the significance of it, just not how the hell he came into possession (:v:) of it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Encryptic posted:

I've seen all of Leone's Westerns with the exception of Duck, You Sucker, which I'll probably have Netflix send me next.

Duck, You Sucker is on Instant Watch. I've been meaning to check it.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
This is the long-shot of all long-shots but my friend is looking for a homemade werewolf film called "Fangtooth" by someone named Robert North. It was made in Luton (UK) in the early 90s and, well, that's all I've got to go on.

Apologies if this isn't the best place to ask this question, I had a look but didn't see anywhere else suitable. There is very little info about Fangtooth online so it might be a case of trying to find this Robert North fella. I have been assured it's phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

morestuff posted:

Duck, You Sucker is on Instant Watch. I've been meaning to check it.

Yeah, my computer is fairly old so streaming doesn't work very well (I've got broadband so that's not an issue). Planning on upgrading soon or possibly getting an XBox + new TV.