Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Speaking of getting this to work on Steam under win7 x64, I ran the "less than 15mb" error fix and resolution patcher, and the game launches, but I get a blank black screen I can slide my pointer around, and sound indicating probably opening credits (developer, etc.) Is this a known problem and is there a fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Speaking of getting this to work on Steam under win7 x64, I ran the "less than 15mb" error fix and resolution patcher, and the game launches, but I get a blank black screen I can slide my pointer around, and sound indicating probably opening credits (developer, etc.) Is this a known problem and is there a fix?

HItting escape or some random mouse buttons actually fixed that for me, but you might have already tried that.

For the people who are having trouble installing the CQM on Steam versions in Win7, make sure to pay attention when the installer asks which directory. It assumes it is in Program Files/Steam/etc... but the game actually installs in Program Files(x86)/Steam/etc... so if you don't change it it will install to the wrong place (and create all the right directories) and you won't even really know that it didn't work.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ugh, gonna put this aside for Halloween. There aren't enough hours in the day to do the compatibility dance with this game with mods factored in.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

OK! Well, here is what worked for me to get it working* on Win 7 x64 (have not tried a mod yet):

Download Steam game.
Run steam game once, it will show "less than 15mb" error.
Install fanpatch 7.0 from link in OP
Rightclick game in steam, click properties, launch options.
Type: "-novid -window -dxlevel 80" into box without quotes.
Voila! Game launches in glorious 800x600 right in the middle of your screen.

Edit: Nevermind, this allows you to see the credits for Activision/nVidia/etc, but still no menu screen. I'm done trying for tonight.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 9, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm running Win 7 x64 with 4 GB RAM and all I had to do was the widescreen patcher. :iiam:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm running Win 7 x64 with 4 GB RAM and all I had to do was the widescreen patcher. :iiam:

What kind of graphics? Maybe my ATI Radeon card is breaking on the Nvidia logo on the credits out of spite.

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
Chunk putting the moves every time you see him after you seduce him at the art gallery is the greatest thing. :3:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has anyone else had trouble initiating the process of getting a ghoul with the Camarilla mod installed? After talking with Mercurio about his need for blood, and even after going into the clinic to get him his pills, I still don't have the option to offer my wrist to the nice young lady on the stretcher. Does the Clan Quest/Camarilla pack add some other prerequisites to starting that subplot?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

What kind of graphics? Maybe my ATI Radeon card is breaking on the Nvidia logo on the credits out of spite.

I run a Radeon 5770 on a Win7 with 6GB of RAM. I just needed the (correct) widescreen patcher and the CQM mod took care of the -15MB memory error for me and like I said, I got the black screen, but banging the keyboard a bit made it come up with the correct logos, etc...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

projecthalaxy posted:

This happens to me every time I start the game up. Alt-tabbing out of and back into the game clears it up. If anyone can find a permanent fix for it, I'd be grateful because this game is a bit touchy with alt-tabbing.

zeal posted:

:words: about getting a ghoul.

Did you talk to Knox about the subject? He mentions being a ghoul and how he was "sucking on the nasty dude's wrist".

I'm not exactly sure what triggers the knowledge of how to help Heather, but try talking to Knox again, exhausting Mercurio's dialog, and even talking to her again.

Also, a question of my own - I did Fat Larry's mission the stealthy way and got an e-mail from someone with the subject "Atonement." It mentioned that it would be in my best interests to kill an accountant named Carl in a building next to the parking garage, but I can't find anyone fitting that description. Am I just not far enough along in the plot? LaCroix is sending me to the museum to try to retrieve the Ankaran Sarcophagus

Finally, is it just me or is the Bloody Mace broken as hell? Even being a lot better with guns than melee weapons, the damage on that mace, especially combined with level 2 Blood Buff, is simply insane.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

zeal posted:

Has anyone else had trouble initiating the process of getting a ghoul with the Camarilla mod installed? After talking with Mercurio about his need for blood, and even after going into the clinic to get him his pills, I still don't have the option to offer my wrist to the nice young lady on the stretcher. Does the Clan Quest/Camarilla pack add some other prerequisites to starting that subplot?

The Clan Quest includes Wesp's patch. IIRC, you have to Talk to Knox to find out what a ghoul is, talk to Heather, talk to Malcolm (The doctor in the other exam room) and ask him to help Heather, and THEN you can offer your wrist to Heather. IIRC it's a result of Wesp loving around with quests and experimenting with adding a new one for that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

DemonNick posted:

The Clan Quest includes Wesp's patch. IIRC, you have to Talk to Knox to find out what a ghoul is, talk to Heather, talk to Malcolm (The doctor in the other exam room) and ask him to help Heather, and THEN you can offer your wrist to Heather. IIRC it's a result of Wesp loving around with quests and experimenting with adding a new one for that.

You don't have to do the third step. You can just talk to her twice and it'll work with CQM and the Wesp Plus patch.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Chin Strap posted:

Can't get any of this to work with the Steam version :( Help?

Did you try setting the vampire.exe compatibility mode to WinXP SP2? For me the 64 bit patch didn't work at all but compatibility mode solved my problems. I do still get a blank screen with nothing but the mouse pointer during the logo movies but once they've all played (or I've tapped ESC around 6 times) the game itself runs just fine.

Lorgoth
Mar 8, 2011

I'm glad I found this thread. I have played the game through again several times over the years, and the Clan Quest mod looks fun, so I am going to have to download it.

One of my favorite things about the game is that the supernatural creatures arn't necessarily the most evil characters in the game. Some of the mundane humans are far more evil.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'd like to link here to the LP Pesmerga did of this game its an SSLP done "In Character" and its loving incredible, he does every side mission and you really feel for his character.
http://lparchive.org/Vampire-The-Masquerade-Bloodlines/

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Hey thread. Time to come up from your page 5 torpor and explain to folks why we play what looks like Goth Fantasy XII. It's the Camarilla Edition, stupid.

To know you got a tough fight coming and to set out to desperately prey on any citizen that comes by on the streets, hoping not to get detected, or if not legally challenged hoping to draw a cop to an alley for a lunch break, is pretty fun, but the constant blood loss (not health, think magic points where getting to zero makes character attack the people nearest for more mp) mechanic enables great gameplay choices too. I realized this while breaking into an apartment.

While looking for assorted things to pocket and with another objective also in mind, I found a safe that was beyond my skills to pick open. I was very low on blood and had no blood bags or people to feed on, so because I wanted to know what was in the safe, I used my special fairy powers - which sort of work like a combination of magic, short time skill or physical boosts and some assorted poo poo like hearing voices etc etc - to buff my abilities. I just barely got the safe open and found $200 inside, but in the process had drained myself of the last of my blood reserves and consigned myself to the fate of frenzying as soon as I got out on the street. While getting out of the apartment I remembered this would probably cost me some humanity, but because my current 3rd playthrough character is of the lunatic class [yes get there's a lunatic outclassof here if you are one of those non-OP reading -:!::people I've heard about .'''. in my head], I thought he probably would love the idea of trading $200 for short term sanity plus a bonus cop chase, and couldn't help but laugh a little.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Hal Incandenza posted:

For the people who are having trouble installing the CQM on Steam versions in Win7, make sure to pay attention when the installer asks which directory. It assumes it is in Program Files/Steam/etc... but the game actually installs in Program Files(x86)/Steam/etc... so if you don't change it it will install to the wrong place (and create all the right directories) and you won't even really know that it didn't work.

That solved my problem. Looking forward to playing this again. I got to like the last area and then my system broke and I lost the thing. Oh well. I'll do malkavian this time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Deleuzionist posted:

:words:

Yeah, yeah, playing in a world of vampires and werewolves is just as nerdy as playing in a Tolkien High Fantasy land of orcs and wizards, but at least being a Goddamn Vampire is cooler than being a loving elf. So we've got that going for us.

You know, there was a time, long ago, when vampires were "cool". That time was called the mid-90's. Now the closest thing we have to cool vampires is True Blood, and as much as I guiltily enjoy that show, that's really stretching the definition of "cool". We really need a current-gen Vampire game... I mean we already have the blueprints, the barebones structure of a new game from all the mods out for Bloodlines. I don't know, though, if all the pieces will fall into place again like they did for Bloodlines. Vampire fantasy is an easy thing to gently caress up, as evidenced by every single vampire game apart from Bloodlines.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I'm seriously considering just installing a 32-bit OS to play old games. I got Vampire running but it's got these constant burps for lack of a better word to the graphics where everything shakes for a millisecond. And this happens say every 5 seconds. I installed the unofficial patch 7.3, I don't know if that's it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Spiky Ooze posted:

I'm seriously considering just installing a 32-bit OS to play old games. I got Vampire running but it's got these constant burps for lack of a better word to the graphics where everything shakes for a millisecond. And this happens say every 5 seconds. I installed the unofficial patch 7.3, I don't know if that's it.

I don't know, I think that's just typical VtM behavior. It's always had weird graphical hiccups that range from gamebreaking to mildly annoying. Something I'm still experiencing is "rubberbanding", where NPC's will sort of jitter around for a little bit before shooting across the map. Pop-in is pretty bad too, like models that are low-resolution that will suddenly "pop" into their higher-resolution models about a foot away.

Everybody's problems with the game are different, and most aren't caused by your OS.

Limorkil
Jan 4, 2011
I apologise in advance if I am asking anything that has already been asked: I am not reading the replies because I do not want any spoilers - even small ones.

I've been meaning to play this since it came out. Initially I was put off by the bugs. Then some people fixed the bugs but it happened to coincide with everyone going loving nuts over Twilight (and vampires in general) and all of a sudden it was impossible to find the game. I guess I have been avoiding Steam for too long.

Anyway, some minor questions:

1. How long does it take to play through if you are a total completionist and go really slow? Are we talking Fable-short, Witcher-medium or Dragon Age-for fucks sake when will it end?

2. How is the melee combat? Is it one of those RPGs with a limited number of moves (like Morrowind) or are there quite a few stunts you can pull? (Because I think I will go for guns unless the melee is varied).

3. Is there a difficulty setting and - assuming I use the best mods mentioned (because I rarely get to play through a game twice) - is this game particularly easy or hard?

Thanks!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

1. Witcher Medium I think it took me around 20-30 hours.

2. Melee combats sorta awkward and morrowwindish but the game has a large stealth focus in a lot of places so combats sorta a last ditch thing except in the final act so you definitely want to train in combat skills.

3. I believe there is no difficulty setting and the difficulty is really related to how many sidequests you do, the game does not tailor to your experience level. So if you don't do sidestuff the final act of the story is very challenging.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 11, 2011

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Limorkil posted:

3. Is there a difficulty setting and - assuming I use the best mods mentioned (because I rarely get to play through a game twice) - is this game particularly easy or hard?

The Clans Quest mod, with the Camarilla Mod activated, makes the game quite a bit harder. Enemies are tougher and do more damage, your blood constantly drains and there are a bunch of other little tweaks that add more challenge to the game. For a new player, I'd recommend only using Wesp's latest Unofficial Patch. You can pick "regular" or "plus", it doesn't really matter. The regular version is the way the game was at retail with some minor bug fixes, and "plus" includes unused stuff that was hidden in the game's source code that was added by Wesp to make the game feel more complete and finished.

pee air
May 8, 2007

This is not my personal opinion.

QuintessenceX posted:

Ugh, so I've downloaded the CQM mod twice using the link in the OP(and I used two different sources, PlanetScroll and one of the other ones) and the .exe won't extract properly. Even worse, attempting to extract it causes my computer to freak the gently caress out, crashing windows explorer repeatedly and causing a massive amount of lag. Has this happened to anyone else?

I was having trouble extracting the .exe, and turning off real-time spyware/virus protection seemed to fix it. Just turn it back on after it's extracted.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Here's a question; who the hell jumped when you rounded the corner on that damned dinosaur?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

yo! not gonna lie, I was sure it was about to eat me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Revenant Threshold posted:

Here's a question; who the hell jumped when you rounded the corner on that damned dinosaur?

The better question would be who didn't?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

LLSix posted:

yo! not gonna lie, I was sure it was about to eat me.

Better a raptor than a Nephandi space terror! :haw:

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

God, this game is so relentlessly buggy. Having decided to play through again, I got it installed and patched up, but I can't open it because I get an immediate runtime error. What's funny is that it ran fine on an old as poo poo entry-level Dell back in the day, but it won't even open on my laptop with better stats.

Is there any way around this error or am I just doomed to be left with just my memories of it?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Baby Babbeh posted:

God, this game is so relentlessly buggy. Having decided to play through again, I got it installed and patched up, but I can't open it because I get an immediate runtime error. What's funny is that it ran fine on an old as poo poo entry-level Dell back in the day, but it won't even open on my laptop with better stats.

Is there any way around this error or am I just doomed to be left with just my memories of it?

Would you mind, you know, posting the error? :rolleyes: If it's the "more than 15 mb" error, solution is on previous page.

King Trite
Aug 16, 2007
A phrase that loses power due to repetition or overuse

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, yeah, playing in a world of vampires and werewolves is just as nerdy as playing in a Tolkien High Fantasy land of orcs and wizards, but at least being a Goddamn Vampire is cooler than being a loving elf. So we've got that going for us.

You know, there was a time, long ago, when vampires were "cool". That time was called the mid-90's. Now the closest thing we have to cool vampires is True Blood, and as much as I guiltily enjoy that show, that's really stretching the definition of "cool". We really need a current-gen Vampire game... I mean we already have the blueprints, the barebones structure of a new game from all the mods out for Bloodlines. I don't know, though, if all the pieces will fall into place again like they did for Bloodlines. Vampire fantasy is an easy thing to gently caress up, as evidenced by every single vampire game apart from Bloodlines.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Legacy of Kain series. That's dead now though.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Why is it that my Dementation powers aren't selectable when I scroll my mouse wheel? I can use Hysteria and Insight, but I put the points in for Babble and it doesn't show up :(

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The system to automatically assign higher levels of Disciplines is broken. Hit "k" and assign it to a number key manually.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OSheaman posted:

Seriously if you're reading this thread and haven't played this game yet then do yourself a favor and do it.

Its hard to argue when this is the first non-op post.

Never played Bloodlines but obviously you see it get mentioned every blue moon on the Games forum. I loved Deux Ex and System Shock 2 which are as simlar to what I think Bloodlines is like as I've played. £15 is a bit much for a Steam game when you know it'll be cheaper soon though so I'll keep my eye out for this one.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

LLSix posted:

The system to automatically assign higher levels of Disciplines is broken. Hit "k" and assign it to a number key manually.

Glad I came across this before I bought any higher Dementation disciplines. I was going to try a run where I max out my Killing Magic first and then put whatever XP is left into random physical attributes.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

I guess it's easy to go the wrong way with vampire fiction, just like with fantasy. Both genres have a bunch of established clichés and so many different tropes have been introduced that most newcomers to it try to bring with them something new and defy some established conventions, but don't understand the beauty of less-is-more. It doesn't really make a vampire story better if it has godlike superfiends lurking here or a fantasy one better if it's full of politics (snore). A vampire that steals wallets is much more entertaining and endearing.

looks like i gotta go back to ocean house with fraps for a get_out.gif

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Deleuzionist posted:

I guess it's easy to go the wrong way with vampire fiction, just like with fantasy. Both genres have a bunch of established clichés and so many different tropes have been introduced that most newcomers to it try to bring with them something new and defy some established conventions, but don't understand the beauty of less-is-more. It doesn't really make a vampire story better if it has godlike superfiends lurking here or a fantasy one better if it's full of politics (snore). A vampire that steals wallets is much more entertaining and endearing.

looks like i gotta go back to ocean house with fraps for a get_out.gif

I don't think it's that complicated. Everyone has their own idea of which clichés, tropes, etc., "work" for vampire lore and which don't. Personally I've found a lot of wildly different vampire mythos settings to be fun in their own ways from Lost Boys to Buffy/Angel or even Blade.

Like just about any general setting, it's about what you do with it. V:tM did it well.

edit: That said, Lost Boys vampires are objectively the only true vampires.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 12, 2011

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

octoroon posted:

I don't think it's that complicated. Everyone has their own idea of which clichés, tropes, etc., "work" for vampire lore and which don't. Personally I've found a lot of wildly different vampire mythos settings to be fun in their own ways from Lost Boys to Buffy/Angel or even Blade.

Like just about any general setting, it's about what you do with it. V:tM did it well.

edit: That said, Lost Boys vampires are objectively the only true vampires.

I don't know anything about Lost Boys so I'm not qualified to opine but isn't the good stuff in Buffy the character moments to which the supernatural is just a backdrop? Compared to for example Twilight where everything about vampires is magical and there are no characters you could have character moments with? I may have typed it badly but I wasn't panning invention, just the type of writing where lack of proper characters leads to overblowing everything else and often a moebius strip of a plot on top because invention was falsely mistaken for actual content in the writer's head.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

octoroon posted:

That said, Lost Boys vampires are objectively the only true vampires.

What I like about The Lost Boys is that the vampires are horrible monsters and yet they and their world are seductive and enticing to people like Mikey. They're not Anne Rice vampires who are all charm and good looks, they're outwardly good-looking, mean-tempered punks who turn into hideous beasts when they're out hunting for victims.

Actually the vampires in The Lost Boys are quite a bit like Vampire's... vampires... except their vampirism makes them lose their humanity pretty much automatically. Mikey turns into some feral animal just from being half-turned, and all the other vampires are twisted freaks (except for the one female in the group).

Also yes, the world of The Lost Boys is pretty mundane, and the vampires are really nothing more than street punks who happen to have supernatural powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
The best part of this game is the setting, easily.

It does such an amazing job of drawing you into the world - this dark, dank, seedy world where nobody is ever really happy because life sucks and dark things stalk the alleys at night.

Santa Monica and Downtown are my two favorite areas, easily, and the first time I played and set foot into the Aslyum set to the Chiasm song I was hooked.

• Locked thread