Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Question: can anyone recommend me a door/cave entrance somewhere in the Fallout 3 wasteland which is either unused, or used for something totally unimportant?

I'm trying to add the ability to actually move between the DC and Vegas wastes, and while I know there's a BoS bunker entrance that's unused in NV, I don't know where I can have the player emerge in DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Milkbags posted:

does one even NEED wyrebash or whatever for NVAMP? The only reason I am looking at it is because I want to use Project Nevada with FOOK and whatever else

Pleese tell me that Wyrebash for NV is easier then its elder scrolls counterpart

It is essentially the same thing, with the caveat that it has actually been superceded by NVEdit as the preferred way to create and maintain compatibility. NVEdit arguably requires an even deeper understanding to operate, however, and many people still use Wrye Bash since they're stuck on the old ways.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

The_White_Crane posted:

Question: can anyone recommend me a door/cave entrance somewhere in the Fallout 3 wasteland which is either unused, or used for something totally unimportant?

I'm trying to add the ability to actually move between the DC and Vegas wastes, and while I know there's a BoS bunker entrance that's unused in NV, I don't know where I can have the player emerge in DC.

Put a vertibird in camp mccarran and put a go to DC or stay activator box on it. If you go it coc you to DC.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
It's not that simple, alas. I can't load the Fallout 3 and New Vegas master files simultaneously in the GECK, so I can't really add anything new like that, I'm pretty much restricted to editting existing objects.

While I think tricking a door into targetting somewhere in the other map is possible, I don't think I could actually add a new activator.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

The_White_Crane posted:

It's not that simple, alas. I can't load the Fallout 3 and New Vegas master files simultaneously in the GECK, so I can't really add anything new like that, I'm pretty much restricted to editting existing objects.

While I think tricking a door into targetting somewhere in the other map is possible, I don't think I could actually add a new activator.

What about a mailbox in Goodsprings? I'm sure anyone would trade whatever mostly useless skill magazine they'd lose out on from the edit for the trip to DC.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I fear I'm being misunderstood. I have a perfectly well suited door in New Vegas, but I need someone to recommend a random useless door in Fallout 3 for the player to end up at (and travel back through).

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

The_White_Crane posted:

I fear I'm being misunderstood. I have a perfectly well suited door in New Vegas, but I need someone to recommend a random useless door in Fallout 3 for the player to end up at (and travel back through).

The bathroom in Megaton?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

The_White_Crane posted:

Hmm. Still gonna recommend finding static vertibird or plane model and attach a script to it. In both games.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The_White_Crane posted:

How about Vault 74? I didn't hit across it in my own F3 games, but it sounds pretty disposable to me.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The only two [inaccessible] doors I know of in FO3 is the one the Taft tunnels and the one in the Underworld clinic. Something like editing the bathroom in Megaton isn't a horrible idea really since it makes just about as much sense as hopping in a manhole and traveling from nevada to washington DC.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Fledgling Gulps posted:

The bathroom in Megaton?

Why not have the player pop out of a toilet? Earthworm Jim style.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm not sure I understand the problem with adding the vertibirds; can't your script spawn one, then have it execute a teleport when poked?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Project Nevada implants are pretty fun, but the ones that use power arn't too great if you are an energy weapons user. :gonk:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Chronojam posted:

I'm not sure I understand the problem with adding the vertibirds; can't your script spawn one, then have it execute a teleport when poked?

What script? Pretty much anything that affects both areas from New Vegas and DC has to be done through FNVEdit, because you can't load both Master files in the GECK.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

The_White_Crane posted:

What script? Pretty much anything that affects both areas from New Vegas and DC has to be done through FNVEdit, because you can't load both Master files in the GECK.

I'm very rusty on writing scripts for this engine, (Oblivion was the last one where I even looked at the editor, besides of my screwing around with leveled lists a few days ago in the Geck) so I say sorry in advance if I talk utter nonsense, but can't you just put the command to change areas into a script which gets activated by a object, like right the way you'd put the command in on the console? I doubt the script editor checks if the command is valid, but it should still work in game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The_White_Crane posted:

I must be missing something critical here, and if I'm not, making this project will be utterly worthless. Will poo poo like 'companion radios' no longer work if you move from one region to another? Will perks be ignored for that matter? Weather overhauls, mod configuration menus, all that must go out the window too then.

If literally everything breaks down during a transition I don't see much point beyond walking around and seeing the old ground before getting bored and getting on with the game :(

\/\/\/ It sounds like an awesome idea, but with the level of problems it sounds like there are going to be, it makes me concerned. I don't care about having all the old quests intact at all, but being unable to plop down new things is going to be a problem so I hope I misunderstood that part.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 12, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

You could theoretically create the transitory item in the GECK and then add the variable in NVEdit to it afterwards, same as editing an existing item.

I'd imagine that the project is very much in its infancy Chronojam because stripping out everything from FO3 that doesn't need to be there and making sure everything in NV still works is actually incredibly labor intensive and takes an assload of trial and error. It's not pointless to work on one aspect of it at a time though, like TheWhiteCrane is doing.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 11, 2011

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Well, you can download what I've done so far.

http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40835

http://rapidshare.com/files/452016204/Deja_Vu_Vegas-Beta_1.10.rar
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NSY6JQZW

So far:
All weapons have been replaced with their New Vegas counterparts.
All weapons which do not have New Vegas versions have been rebalanced and changed to use New Vegas ammo.
All armour has been replaced with its New Vegas Versions.
All ammo has been replaced with its New Vegas versions.
All food and drink has been replaced with its New Vegas versions.
All chems have been editted to match their New Vegas equivalents.
All object based water-sources (toilets, sinks, etc.) have been changed to their New Vegas versions.
The buggy distance views have been fixed by extracting the DC lodsettings.
The invisible Super Mutants have been fixed by editing their model files to avoid a conflict with the Vegas version.
Multiple cells which crashed when you loaded them in the New Vegas wastes have been fixed.

Current problems:
Loading the mod resets your character to its default state.
At around noon each day, there is a total solar eclipse.
Bodies of water such as rivers and lakes are still DC versions, and will not quench thirst.
Chems will not stack in your inventory.
Vendors do not sell all NV ammo types and items.
Oh, and the loving RAMPS in Megaton which don't appear correctly.

Currently, the only way to move between Vegas and the DC wastes is by using the "coc" console command to teleport, but once you do that you should find that most things there work.

It's far and away from "literally everything breaking down"; all the old areas seem to be intact, the majority of quests I've tried work fine (though I've not done anything with the main quest yet).

I am getting inconsistant reports of people suffering an issue where the main menu doesn't load properly for them; I think they probably didn't follow the install instructions carefully enough, because I had that problem in the early stages and worked around it. Could be I'm mistaken though, and there's some issue I don't yet know about. Anyway, give it a shot and see...

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
You guys were right about NVAMP. Every time I try to use it I get a COD when the game boots up. I could troubleshoot it, but not quite worth it yknow.

My question is now is how compatible some of its components are individually. I DO want to use many of the things in it, but I dont want to use NVAMP itself

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Milkbags posted:

You guys were right about NVAMP. Every time I try to use it I get a COD when the game boots up. I could troubleshoot it, but not quite worth it yknow.

My question is now is how compatible some of its components are individually. I DO want to use many of the things in it, but I dont want to use NVAMP itself

Here's what I recommend and am what I am using currently:

XFO - Highly customizable, the best gameplay overhaul out there currently.
Project Nevada - In its current incarnation, it's a bunch of smaller gameplay mods pieced together nicely; grenade hotkey, sprint, dynamic crosshair, etc. Check the mod details for more, they're almost all useful.
Manual Reload - Makes firefights a little more intense when you can't magically reload your weapon by switching away and switching back.
Book of Earache - Every esp is optional, but the basic esm adds recoil to all weapons, which improves the feel of combat, I think. Requires Caliber, which is worth it.

Those are the core five. The game plays a little bit more like a proper shooter, but still feels like New Vegas.

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma

Coughing Hobo posted:

Project Nevada - In its current incarnation, it's a bunch of smaller gameplay mods pieced together nicely; grenade hotkey, sprint, dynamic crosshair, etc. Check the mod details for more, they're almost all useful.
Manual Reload - Makes firefights a little more intense when you can't magically reload your weapon by switching away and switching back.
Book of Earache - Every esp is optional, but the basic esm adds recoil to all weapons, which improves the feel of combat, I think. Requires Caliber, which is worth it.

Those are the core five. The game plays a little bit more like a proper shooter, but still feels like New Vegas.

Thanks

I would like to point out that NVAMP I belive or possibly one or more of its components did do things like change some menu pictures around and sounds. I am not sure if I like this or not, how would I go about changing the things back to the orignals?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Coughing Hobo posted:

Earache is a sloppy rear end modder. I noticed my muzzle flash looked different while helping Naky test the Armory and thought it was something he did. We couldn't find anything so I chalked it up to some remnant of a mod I wasn't using anymore that I missed. I finally figured out what it was. Packed into the Caliber BSA is a muzzle flash that is undocumented in the description for the mod. Not only that but it was an ugly rear end solid shape with a yellow to white gradient and bits of color left in the corners of the DDS, which meant a white triangle out away from the main muzzle flash ingame. I shudder to think what sort of things lurk in Book of Earache.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Naky posted:

Yeah, another issue where an older version of the mod that me and Anime Schoolgirl were passing between each other had issues that were never caught - several of Amstrad's custom weapons had incorrect paths and they're fixed now, along with that icon you reported. As for the AK74, can you confirm which version you're using and what build of The Armory? Thanks for the reports, they're definitely appreciated so keep 'em coming.

As for the Pancor and the G11, yeah, that's pretty much exactly why they're not in the pack. The Pancor I have looks like a Fisher-Price gun and I wasn't exactly impressed by the G11 either. I'll keep looking to see if I can find any resources for them though.

It was actually the AK74a that caused the crash when I tried to mod it, but a few other items did it too, not sure which. I have the 1.5 version (1.1 installed first, 1.5 over it, and none of the 1.1 activated, using the leveled lists add-on).

There was a mod for half-life 1 called The Wastes, and iirc it had better textures for the Pancor and the Gll than any I've seen for New Vegas. That is a little sad. Anyways keep up the good work, I'm eagerly awaiting the next release. :)

Slowpoke Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 12, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
That release is coming within the next couple hours if this installation script I'm working on works as intended...

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not

The_White_Crane posted:

I know there's a BoS bunker entrance that's unused in NV, I don't know where I can have the player emerge in DC.

I didn't see anyone else comment on this and maybe you're talking about something I'm not familiar with, but: you're not talking about the Abandoned BoS Bunker, are you? The one that starts Dead Money?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The_White_Crane posted:

It's far and away from "literally everything breaking down"; all the old areas seem to be intact, the majority of quests I've tried work fine (though I've not done anything with the main quest yet).

Alright, I just got carried away for nothing when I saw what you said about the editing troubles, because honestly it's a fantastic concept. Are all the old cell IDs still intact from FO3?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Coughing Hobo posted:

A thousand times this. I cannot praise this mod enough. For such a small change, it makes such a massive difference. You suddenly have to consider what weapons you have hot-keyed, as well as what's left in your inventory if you don't have time to reload.

myname_isdoug posted:

I didn't see anyone else comment on this and maybe you're talking about something I'm not familiar with, but: you're not talking about the Abandoned BoS Bunker, are you? The one that starts Dead Money?

He's probably talking about one of the bunkers in the Hidden Valley (not the BoS one) that open up to a bunch of debris.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Without further delay, I present to you folks THE ARMORY v1.5, the official final release build. The amount of changes in this thing between v1.1 and now is almost mindboggling.

What's different, you say? Plenty!

- ESM conversion for easier modding of the mod!
- Leveled lists! Oh, and if you use the leveled lists, the cabinets disappear now!
- Weapons added to perk, weapons, and holdout lists!
- 30+ new guns, many with mods!
- A number of guns from the first release now have new mods!
- Bullpup animation support for several weapons and proper top loading P90s!
- A disgusting amount of fixes!
- New textures for a couple guns!
- A new ballistics sub-mod!
- Optional starter packs to be used in combination with the leveled lists!
- A fancy pants FOMOD installation process that practically guarantees proper installation!
- And probably more!

The main important difference between v1.1 and v1.5 is that the Weapon Animation Replacer (WAR) is now a REQUIRED install. You need it. Without it, there are a great deal of guns that will not animate correctly or at all. If you didn't like it in the past, try the latest release - his newest one gives you several options for how the guns are held so no longer are you complete restricted. Either way, it's necessary to use this pack properly.

Now, if you're using the old versions, scrap 'em. Go into your meshes/textures folders and delete the ahztek folders and delete any old Armory esps or esms. The nice thing about this new FOMOD system is that in the future you can just deactivate the mod for a clean removal of installation. From there, go to the Package Manager in FOMM and add The.Armory.fomod manually, OR copy & paste the fomod file into the mods folder of your root Fallout New Vegas installation so FOMM can detect it on start up. Activate it, choose your installation options and you should be good to go. Enjoy, and do report bugs and feedback, positive or negative. Enjoy!

edit: Feedback can be given in this thread, to naky.rules@gmail.com or on our IRC channel - #TheArmory @ irc.synirc.net for real time help, provided we're at our computers.

Naky fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 12, 2011

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Naky - Is the Sig Sauer P226 supposed to shoot two bullets at once?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

myname_isdoug posted:

Yes. I only just found this out when I looked it up on the wiki to check exactly where it was. Not to worry, I'll use the Northern Passage instead (though that'll probably trigger some other DLC in the future...)

Chronojam posted:

Alright, I just got carried away for nothing when I saw what you said about the editing troubles, because honestly it's a fantastic concept. Are all the old cell IDs still intact from FO3?

Yes, actually. The bigger issue is that you have to load the Fallout 3 master file first, so all the New Vegas IDs start with 01 instead of 00. I don't know what-all will happen with mod compatability, I must be honest.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Is anyone else having trouble with the 1.5 Armory download? it says I am downloading a 378 MB file, but it keeps stopping after around 40-50, saying that it is finished. I even tried to install it anyways, but it doesn't work. Is this something on my end? Something with the samod servers? is the file being hit really hard? I guess I should have waited for the download before deleting the old armory stuff. If anyone has a clue what the problem is please let me know.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Download worked fine here, 378 MB.

Great work Naky, can't wait to get home to try this out. :)

Burns
May 10, 2008

Downloading now. How is compatability with other mods? I'm running FOOK right now so I'm a bit weary about installing your mod.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
^^^ My pack just adds weapons. So long as we don't happen to use the same editor IDs, compatibility should be perfect. As always, use FNVEdit to make sure there aren't any simple conflicts but it should be fine.

white quilt posted:

Nope, but if it is, I think I know why.

Also, looks like Molerat Boobs got deleted last night, seems the admin's a shoverbot.

Naky fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 12, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

nexus mods who can't take a joke well i never

white quilt posted:

edit: wow i hosed this up once already http://www.mediafire.com/?qyyjqdnnm02lpg8

my eyes are already bloodshot from spreadsheets oh god

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 12, 2011

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Clearly, now we just need to stealth patch in Molerat Boobs(and by extension Gecko Penises) into all goon mods.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
The admin is either a goon or they googled it finally and realized it was a goon made file. Deleting outright is pretty much a joke either way when you consider that there are worse mods out there. If the fotm voting bothers you, blame the way the system is set up, not forum of guys choosing to spend their monthly vote on a joke mod. This is no more a joke than animated prostitution being a fotm nor can you ever ensure "fair" voting.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I can't find any information on what "The.Armory.Performance.Killing.Ballistics" does apart from the killing performance part, which I doubt is the real idea behind it.

EDIT:
Quick look in FNVEdit suggests that it changes some hit scan projectiles to actual projectiles and beefs up the range heavily. I didn't realize that so many of the weapons were hit scan.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 12, 2011

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38719

A World of Pain got updated with over 30 new locations, totaling over 90 in all. Not compatible with the Frankie voice mod, but otherwise current save games should be compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Hamburger Test posted:

I can't find any information on what "The.Armory.Performance.Killing.Ballistics" does apart from the killing performance part, which I doubt is the real idea behind it.

EDIT:
Quick look in FNVEdit suggests that it changes some hit scan projectiles to actual projectiles and beefs up the range heavily. I didn't realize that so many of the weapons were hit scan.

Yeah, it's a pretty new file and I've not even tried it myself yet. I think Anime Schoolgirl released the first version of it just this past week.