Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Karmine posted:

It was a really great promo if you think of it as a promo instead of just an athlete talking.

At the time it aired, I laughed and thought it was great because I had it in mind as a heel promo - when I actually considered it from a sports point of view the dude was basically ripping into the financial sponsor for his company like a petulant child and it kind of lost its gloss.

MrMondayNight posted:

I know there is a lot of talk for "best wrestler/move/theme/whatever of all time" but are there any individual cards that are commonly considered best of all time?

Wrestlemania 17?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Jerusalem posted:

Wrestlemania 17?

Yeah for me its either this or IYH: Calgary Stampede but I was wondering if there is some higher level of card quality I am unaware of only really having followed WWF/WCW/ECW back in the day and WWE/Occasional ROH since.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Jerusalem posted:

Wrestlemania 17?

Look how oddly you mistyped Great American Bash '89.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MrMondayNight posted:

I know there is a lot of talk for "best wrestler/move/theme/whatever of all time" but are there any individual cards that are commonly considered best of all time?

I tend to throw my support behind WMX-7 and Fully Loaded 2000.

That gave you the very well built up Benoit vs. Rock (with Shane doing a great job as Benoit's manager), HHH vs. Jericho in a Last Man Standing match, Angle vs. Taker, Val Venis vs. Rikishi in a cage for the IC Title, APA vs. Edge and Christian, Saturn vs. Eddie for the European Championship, Tazz vs. Al Snow and Hardys/Lita vs. T&A/Trish.

Of course, I haven't watched the event since I was 15 so it probably doesn't stand up.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Jerusalem posted:

At the time it aired, I laughed and thought it was great because I had it in mind as a heel promo - when I actually considered it from a sports point of view the dude was basically ripping into the financial sponsor for his company like a petulant child and it kind of lost its gloss.

Well, if I watched it again I would probably feel the same way, but in terms of making people want to buy more PPVs to see Brock Lesnar get his stupid rear end kicked, I'd call that a win.

e: Also, seconding WrestleMania X-7 and Fully Loaded 00 for best all-time cards.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Canadian Stampede.

It helps that there are only four matches, but it's regarded as one of the best top to bottom shows I believe.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Royal Rumble 2000?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fully Loaded 2000, as in the Fully Loaded 2000 that was a horribly booked show and whose all but one matches were underwhelming?

e: As for actual candidates, ROH Glory By Honor V Night 2, Glory By Honor VIII, and Final Battle 2008 are the ones I usually think of when considering the best.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 12, 2011

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Royal Rumble 2000?

This is such a great show. Everyone remembers Cactus vs. HHH but the Hardys/Dudleys table match and the Rumble are both awesome.

Retarding Invasion booking aside, Summerslam 2001 is an awesome show from an in-ring perspective too, outside of the Kane and Undertaker/DDP and Kanyon debacle.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Moose Bigelow posted:

Look how oddly you mistyped Great American Bash '89.

While checking out the card for this one to see if I knew it I came across this:

wiki article posted:

Dusty Rhodes (with Barry Windham) defeated Tully Blanchard (with James J. Dillon and Dark Journey) in a "lights-out" Barbed Wire Ladder match for $100,000.

That seems a little....extreme for 1987 and I wouldnt expect Tully in a match like that.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MrMondayNight posted:

While checking out the card for this one to see if I knew it I came across this:

That seems a little....extreme for 1987 and I wouldnt expect Tully in a match like that.

When I lived in Juneau we didn't get ppv technology for a while so my 10 yr old self imagined a lights out match as a literal lights out match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrMondayNight posted:

They went CRAZY on blood in 1987. They did a ton of main events which were just dudes bleeding everywhere.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Captain Charisma posted:

Fully Loaded 2000, as in the Fully Loaded 2000 that was a horribly booked show and whose all but one matches were underwhelming?

My strongest memory of that show is Edge's pre-match promo where he talks about the Kennedy assassination and says that Oswald shouldn't have bothered because if JFK had spent another second in Dallas he would have just killed himself anyway.

e: Rumble 01 is a good choice too

Karmine fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 12, 2011

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Powerslam had a top 25 on this not too long ago:

quote:

25 - NJPW - Battle Formation 1996
24 - ECW - Heatwave 1998
23- TNA - No Surrender 2005
22 - WWF - Backlash 2000
21 - WWF- Fully Loaded 2000
20 - WCW - Spring Stampede 1999
19 - WWF - Backlash 2009
18 - TNA - Turning Point 2004
17 - WAR - Super J Cup : 2nd Stage
16 - WWE/ECW - One Night Stand 2005
15 - TNA - Turning Point 2009
14 - ECW - The Doctor Is In 1996
13 -ROH - Man Up! 2007
12 - WWE - SummerSlam 2002
11 - NOAH - Departure 2004
10 - WWE - WrestleMania 24
9 - WWF - In Your House : Canadian Stampede
8 - ROH - Better Than Our Best 2006
7 - NJPW - Destruction 2010
6 - NOAH - Destiny 2005
5 - WWF - WrestleMania 17
4 - AAA/IWC - When Worlds Collide
3 - AJW - Wrestling Queendom 3
2 - Weekly Pro At Tokyo Dome
1 - AJW - Big Egg Universe

Some weird ones on here but some really awesome shows.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
A number of headscratchers, but Backlash 2009 being on there is straight up :pwn:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was going to make fun of Big Egg Universe's name, but then upon discovering it was a ten-hour-long show, I am so humbled that I can only wish I had seen it live.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Womens Promotion as well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Charisma posted:

A number of headscratchers, but Backlash 2009 being on there is straight up :pwn:

It was an awesome show but that is a terrible list.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

HulkaMatt posted:

Powerslam had a top 25 on this not too long ago:

Some weird ones on here but some really awesome shows.

Ha funnily enough I just bought that earlier but hadnt read it yet. Are the Big Egg shows as good as they say because for as long as I can remember (and I think I started reading it around issue 60 or so) they have been saying its the greatest but I have never seen anyone else mention it.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

MassRayPer posted:

It was an awesome show but that is a terrible list.

It really is but it was the first thing I thought of when the question was asked. :shobon:

I have never seen the Big Egg Universe show but it's All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling in the 90's so I imagine a 5 star match is on it.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

MrMondayNight posted:

Wrestlemania 17

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Saw Backlash 2000 on the list, that was also an incredible show.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

HulkaMatt posted:

It really is but it was the first thing I thought of when the question was asked. :shobon:

I have never seen the Big Egg Universe show but it's All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling in the 90's so I imagine a 5 star match is on it.

Indeed there was (by Meltzer rankings anyway), Aja Kong vs Manami Toyota.
The match list for it looks insanely good too. Going to have to find that somewhere.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
If you like the ECW style, Heat Wave 98 is definitely the quintessential ECW PPV.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Backlash 2000 was amazing, the main event was what Wrestlemania SHOULD have been.

I vaguely remember really enjoying Backlash 2009 but how bizarre to see it on that list as one of the best ever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Backlash 2000 was amazing, the main event was what Wrestlemania SHOULD have been.

I vaguely remember really enjoying Backlash 2009 but how bizarre to see it on that list as one of the best ever.

What you said about the Backlash 2000 main event? That applies to the entire Backlash 2009 card.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

MassRayPer posted:

What you said about the Backlash 2000 main event? That applies to the entire Backlash 2009 card.

It really and truly does.

How about cards that were great on paper and crap in execution?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CM Funk posted:

It really and truly does.

How about cards that were great on paper and crap in execution?

Wrestlemania 18? It looked pretty good on paper but apart from the standout of Rock/Hogan and the surprisingly good Flair/Taker, it was pretty disappointing. HHH/Jericho wasn't bad but went in the wrong place on the card and everybody was burned out and really didn't care by the time it happened.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It was also a complete foregone conclusion.

Sometimes that isn't a bad thing but in this case people were walking out of the Skydome in droves during it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok, Cody Rhodes. Is it the case that he only just became awesome with this facemask story or are there good promos/matches from before then that people can recommend?

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Jerusalem posted:

Wasn't that the one that the bell keeper screwed up the finish by ringing the bell after the RKO pin attempt?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Rarity posted:

Ok, Cody Rhodes. Is it the case that he only just became awesome with this facemask story or are there good promos/matches from before then that people can recommend?

Cody's come into his own with the facemask. His prior stuff was serviceable but nothing outstanding. He could always work and talk but he was never allowed to run with a character the way he has now.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Wrestlemania 18? It looked pretty good on paper but apart from the standout of Rock/Hogan and the surprisingly good Flair/Taker, it was pretty disappointing. HHH/Jericho wasn't bad but went in the wrong place on the card and everybody was burned out and really didn't care by the time it happened.

Wrestlemania 26 has to be up there. In terms of build, it was the exact opposite of this year. Everything had been built up really well and there were a load of matches that would be really good. Or if not 'really good' they would have marquee value. Cena/Batista ended up being pretty not great, Sheamus/HHH was the standard 'Epic HHH match', Edge/Jericho was a big letdown, MitB wasn't as good as previous years, Orton/Legacy was servicable but the heat had entirely left that angle at this point and Mysterio/Punk only went about 7 minutes.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I thought 26 was awful apart from the main event none of the matches really lived up to their potential, Punk and Mysterio was good all be it really short especially considering it was with two performers who'd have to have incredibly bad luck to pull out a crappy match against each other. I was listening to an old LAW tonight and Dan made an excellent point when reviewing Extreme Rules, all of the Wrestlemania rematches were much better than the matches at Wrestlemania. I don't know what it was about that PPV because nothing stood out as being particularly bad, it just felt really flat to me and when I was watching it I just couldn't get into it at all even though I never saw the original HBK/Undertaker match so it wasn't my anticipation for that stopping me from being interested. The event actually made me stop watching WWE for three months and go on a nostalgia tape binge, it just made me think that if this was what they put together for their biggses PPV of the year it was most likely going to be an extremely underwhelming year.

Jerusalem posted:

I just noticed I have this from when I obtained all of the 2000 and 2001 PPV's and haven't watched it yet. I think I may watch it tonight, seeing it on that list surprises me because it looks like this is one of the few attitude era PPV's I have no memory of what so ever even though I certainly watched it when it originally aired. Hopefully the list is correct and I get a nice surprise of an awesome PPV I totally had forgotten about.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Cody's come into his own with the facemask. His prior stuff was serviceable but nothing outstanding. He could always work and talk but he was never allowed to run with a character the way he has now.
Definitely, he only ever really had the chance to be funny or get heat by being in Orton's stable before this. I always had a hunch he'd be the better off of the Legacy tag team just because I was always struck by how incredibly good looking he was with those piercing bue eues even before the 'Dashing' gimmick, I never thought I'd see him doing promo's like this though, from him or anyone else in WWE currently, really.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 12, 2011

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It wasn't anywhere close to crap, in fact it was quite good, but ROH's first show in Hammerstein, A New Level, really underwhelmed me, given how unbelievable the card was. Pretty much every match could have been a main event or sub-main on another show, and I was foolishly expecting every match to be wrestled as such. Although to be fair, Gabe did hype the show as "every match could be a main event!!"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I knew Cody had potential since about the time he was first paired with Bob Holly. That didn't feel necessary and more like it was to give Holly something to work with. I think Cody's physique is too lean and slim in terms of what the WWE looks for otherwise I think he could be really entertaining if they push him well. I wouldn't be surprised if he also came up with ideas for his character or storyline. It feels like a guy that doesn't need creative to do all the work for him and is more of a natural.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
Yeah, I remember being really caught up in the excitement of actually being at the show for A New Level, but I rewatched it not too long ago and it wasn't anywhere near as special as I thought it was at the time (trying to get the most out of $7 beers may explain this.) I also forgot about that reeeeeeally awkward segment with the table during the Ares/Briscoe vs Jacobs/Black match.

Dragon/Marufuji was (and still is) pretty loving rad though.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
How do wrestlers learn to do movges like a 450 splash or a shooting star press?

There's only so much you can have someone tell you wih a move like that I imagine and then you'd just have to learn by trial and error, I guess.

But how do they start trying to learn a move like that so that they don't just break their necks trying it the first time?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sue Denim posted:

There's only so much you can have someone tell you wih a move like that I imagine and then you'd just have to learn by trial and error, I guess.

But how do they start trying to learn a move like that so that they don't just break their necks trying it the first time?

Billy Kidman said he used to do shooting stars on a diving board. I'm guessing a lot of top rope moves are first done on pool diving boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.

Sue Denim posted:

Paul London said he saw Liger doing the ssp and thought "hey, I can do that." So he tried. I don't remember where I saw this, I think it was in a printed interview sometime during his WWE singles run.