Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
So, did Matt Baker asked that in the scrutiny sense or the light-hearted sleeping banter sense? I watched thinking it was the former, and it makes his little grin seem hilariously evil, but watching it back it is the second one right? And Cameron obviously clicked as he does a nervous laugh as he answers the question.

I didn't see the show, only the clip, so I don't know the context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Paperhouse posted:

tbh I bet even if you tell them you don't need one they will still eventually hassle you about it otherwise it'd be far too easy for people to evade it

Yeah, even if you legitimately don't have a TV, they show up at strange hours demanding to search your house for one. Repeatedly.

It's easier just to buy a TV and a licence.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
And while I'm here, I would like to like Wonders of the Universe, because it is essentially good, it just has so much padding it is a little bit embarassing.

Somehow I doubt Brian Cox, when he delievers his university lectures, walks slowly to a corner of the room with music playing, makes a point, then walks slowly across the room with music playing, makes another point, then walks slowly etc etc.

He doesn't really need to go to four exotic places an episode.

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

Paperhouse posted:

tbh I bet even if you tell them you don't need one they will still eventually hassle you about it otherwise it'd be far too easy for people to evade it

I was followed for about four years by the tv licencing people in spite of the fact that i've not owned a television since moving out from my parent's home. I made the mistake of, after some years, deciding to inform the TV licence people that I did not, in fact, have a television. So they harassed me for years to get me to buy a licence for a television I didn't have, even when I got them to send their inspector round. Total nightmare.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Any detecting equipment TV licensing people have/had is almost certainly based on detecting CRTs, and even then that could be a CRT computer monitor. As far as I know there's no way of detecting any kind of flatscreen. TV licensing people are the scum of the earth who literally threaten little old ladies and other vulnerable people daily and repeatedly, they seem unable to imagine that some people just do not watch TV.

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.
Is there an easy way to rip/save BBC iPlayer programs ? I want to save some of the music ones up now.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Yes, use get_iplayer: http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/html/get_iplayer.html

Run the Web PVR Manager if you don't want to bother with command line stuff.

Bonto
Aug 8, 2007

Honey!?

Fat Turkey posted:

And while I'm here, I would like to like Wonders of the Universe, because it is essentially good, it just has so much padding it is a little bit embarassing.

Somehow I doubt Brian Cox, when he delivers his university lectures, walks slowly to a corner of the room with music playing, makes a point, then walks slowly across the room with music playing, makes another point, then walks slowly etc etc.

He doesn't really need to go to four exotic places an episode.

I completely agree - the segment with regard to corrosion and the diamond-mining village could've been at least 2/3rds shorter - and could've just as easily been represented by having Cox visit a cliff-face or beach. The ancient yearly sun-dial bit was impressive, as well as some of the visual space imagery, but essentially the show suffered from every cliché Charlie Brooker highlighted in his most recent "How TV ruined your life". Overall an interesting watch, if not a bit long.

One thing I noticed was that every time he finishes his "bit" to camera - the camera always seems to linger a few seconds too long after each scene, so that we're essentially leering directly into Cox's eyes while he awkwardly waits for the director to yell cut. As if they're waiting for the now adored-by-millions nerdy heartthrob to bat at his ears or scratch his tummy to the collecting "awww"-ing of every student and housewife everywhere.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kin posted:

It always baffled me that they claimed to have methods of detecting which households were receiving a signal. I mean, even if they could (how the hell do you detect something that's only receiving signals, not sending any), that's some extremely sensitive technology the BBC has, to be able to pinpoint a single arial in what must, in most cases, be a small area with at least another 50.

edit: and iplayer doesn't require a licence so they can't track you that way either.

It's something to with how the TV generates it's own signal as part of decoding the one it receives. It's pretty clever stuff, but as Paperhouse said, it's all a bluff. Just because they could do it, doesn't mean they are.

The bullying that they go through to make you pay is absurd though. One of the letters they sent me included a load of information about how many students take their laptops to University, and how most of them use iPlayer. Which is irrelevant as most of them aren't watching live. And, hilariously, even if you DO watch live you'll be covered by your home's license provided the laptop isn't plugged in. Gotta love loopholes.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And, hilariously, even if you DO watch live you'll be covered by your home's license provided the laptop isn't plugged in. Gotta love loopholes.
Seriously? That's excellent!

When you say "plugged in" do you mean to mains electricity or to a wired internet connection (or both)?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think it's both. While it's not wired in it comes under the same cover as a handheld telly.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's something to with how the TV generates it's own signal as part of decoding the one it receives. It's pretty clever stuff, but as Paperhouse said, it's all a bluff. Just because they could do it, doesn't mean they are.

The bullying that they go through to make you pay is absurd though. One of the letters they sent me included a load of information about how many students take their laptops to University, and how most of them use iPlayer. Which is irrelevant as most of them aren't watching live. And, hilariously, even if you DO watch live you'll be covered by your home's license provided the laptop isn't plugged in. Gotta love loopholes.

Yeah, what do you mean by that? My girlfriends at Uni just now, and in a communal flat. She keeps getting letters saying that the common living area is covered by a TV licence, but that each individual bedroom counts as a seperate living area that requires its own licence. She's just ignoring them anyways because shoe deosn't even have a TV in her room, but the whole thing seems rather ridiculous.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That one is due to the way rent law works. If you rent a room (that has a lockable door) rather than a house/flat it counts as a separate domicile, so it needs a separate license.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Has anyone been watching Civilization - Is the West History? It's interest but pretty gimmicky. The whole series is based around there are 7 'killer apps' to make a successful civilization. The guy presenting sometimes talks about 'uploading' them or something and says CHI-na instead of China. It's worth watching though.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

DaWolfey posted:

Here's our Eurovision song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z8wxu9mz_A

It feels like a genuine song rather than an attempt to do something we think the rest of Europe might like.
I don't think it's a winner, but maybe mid table...

Sounds like a rejected t.a.t.u B-side from whatever year they were famous. So could do well in Europe, I hear they like that kind of thing.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I was really pissed off with TV Licensing when I was at uni. I paid for a tv licence the whole time I was a student.

I let my first licence expire (because I moved into a house with someone else and they had a licence which they transferred). I kept receiving letters through my department threatening me with regards to my old halls. It took several phonecalls to get the message through to them that students generally only stay in a room for one year, and now someone else was there - so hassle them instead; not me.

When I went back into halls for about 6 months, I bought a new licence and then moved it to my next halls of residence for the following year. The guy seemed to be struggling to find my new halls, but then insisted it was all totally ok. I rang to renew my licence when it was about to expire, and they told me that I hadn't been covered at all because it was still at the old halls...and that they could fine me because I'd just admitted that I hadn't been covered in the room I was actually in.

Madness.

It turned out that they had the postcode for my entire block of halls completely wrong (which is why they hadn't found my new halls when I called, and the guy gave up and just pretended that he had). So nobody in that halls of residence could've been licensed properly.

I don't understand why they don't do a student licence for students in halls, which they could sell at Fresher's Fayre. It seems much fairer to run a 9 month discounted licence that's solely for halls of residences, and you'd think that would lead into an increased uptake. From the people I talked to, there were only a couple of us who'd bothered to get licences - so surely that's a huge area they're missing out on?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

DaWolfey posted:

It feels like a genuine song rather than an attempt to do something we think the rest of Europe might like.

Im just glad Blue are back together :allears:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Testro posted:

I don't understand why they don't do a student licence for students in halls, which they could sell at Fresher's Fayre. It seems much fairer to run a 9 month discounted licence that's solely for halls of residences, and you'd think that would lead into an increased uptake. From the people I talked to, there were only a couple of us who'd bothered to get licences - so surely that's a huge area they're missing out on?

Because of the hassle of creating a whole new license just for students? the majority of students in halls dont even own tv's anyway, the ones that i knew that did (very few) didnt even bother paying.

It was only in second year in our house did we bother.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Some Strange Flea posted:

Seriously? That's excellent!

When you say "plugged in" do you mean to mains electricity or to a wired internet connection (or both)?

Well the rules on their website say as long as it hasn't been plugged in. So I think if you ever charge the batteries you need a new licence. It's not really worth quibbling over the details. They cannot come in and check. Even if they wanted to, it's too much hassle for the money they'd get. All they have is intimidation.

I'm not feeling too optimistic about that Eurovision song. The base sounds terribly out of place. I had to keep pausing the video to check I hadn't somehow got music playing in another window.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I used to hate having to pay the TV License but when I think of everything the BBC provides I'm not bothered about it now. As well as traditional TV there's also iPlayer, the BBC News website, the Bitesize website for a study aid, kids websites to tie in with cbeebies and cbbc, radio channels and probably a load of other stuff I can't think of because I don't use.

The BBC is awesome

Testro
May 2, 2009

LE0N posted:

Because of the hassle of creating a whole new license just for students? the majority of students in halls dont even own tv's anyway, the ones that i knew that did (very few) didnt even bother paying.

It was only in second year in our house did we bother.

It's not actually a product, so it's not as if it's going to take a heap of effort, planning and design to make a 'new' licence.

I lived in halls for 3 years, and everyone except the international students had their own tv. I agree that most didn't bother paying - which was my point. At the moment, sticking to the rigid 12 month system means that most people don't bother getting a licence. If they altered it to a 9 month one, perhaps at half the price of the current licence, maybe they'd get much more uptake.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
I seem to be the only one who has never had any hassle with TV licenses. I have had two separate addresses with different licences when I was at uni and living in shared houses. Since moving out and getting my own place I just filled out a form on their website to say that I don't need a license (I genuinely don't, I don't have a TV) and that was it, never any hassle.

Stories of detection vans are complete crap. They can only get you in trouble if they see a TV from outside or your doorstep, you admit to having a TV (for watching live broadcasts on, not just games) or you let them in and they see your TV.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

The Supreme Court posted:

Yeah, even if you legitimately don't have a TV, they show up at strange hours demanding to search your house for one. Repeatedly.

It's easier just to buy a TV and a licence.

Then you send them a letter revoking their right to approach your property or whatever the term is. Works absolute wonders.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
I stopped direct debit on my license. Then I went to the website and registered as a watching i-player on PC, no license from the drop down box. I have now recieved a mildly threatening your aren't licensed letter.

If they come round I will waste their time by asking for a search warrant.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

FelchTragedy posted:

I stopped direct debit on my license. Then I went to the website and registered as a watching i-player on PC, no license from the drop down box. I have now recieved a mildly threatening your aren't licensed letter.

If they come round I will waste their time by asking for a search warrant.

You should reply with a mildly threatening letter asking for an itemised breakdown of where your payment goes so that you can analyse it and then refuse to pay for certain services you don't use and have never used or ask for an outright refund for services you have never used in the past.

It would carry about as much weight and bullshit as any letter they send you.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
As Wootcannon said, reply to them by registered post informing them that you revoke their implied right of access to your property (as mentioned above)*, and that you consider their communications to be harassing you. Tell them that any future communication/visits from them will be dealt with as harassment.

Apparently they'll take you off their list for a few years. It's not so much the revocation of access that bothers them as it is the fact that by having a record of telling them that they are harassing you, any further repetition of their actions is considered harassment. Which is legally problematic for them because of the Protection from Harassment Act.

*There's an implied right of access to properties so that deliveries can be made and friends can visit etc.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Metrication posted:

Has anyone been watching Civilization - Is the West History? It's interest but pretty gimmicky. The whole series is based around there are 7 'killer apps' to make a successful civilization. The guy presenting sometimes talks about 'uploading' them or something and says CHI-na instead of China. It's worth watching though.

Niall Ferguson is a poo poo.
And the show's gimmick of six "killer apps" is on the face if it so absurd the entire thing ahold be taken out and shot.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

DaWolfey posted:

It won't win us the league but it could definitely get us a place in Europe.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Cerv posted:

Niall Ferguson is a poo poo.
And the show's gimmick of six "killer apps" is on the face if it so absurd the entire thing ahold be taken out and shot.

Yeah. I heard an interview with him on Radio 4 about it and he seemed to be actively talking down all the negative and appalling things the west did to dominate the world.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 13, 2011

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Tim Lovejoy probing Brian Cox about the mysteries of the universe while they're trying to do a muffin making cookery segment on Something For The Weekend has to be one of the most surreal thing's I've seen on TV in a while.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

N3RDSTER posted:

Tim Lovejoy probing Brian Cox about the mysteries of the universe while they're trying to do a muffin making cookery segment on Something For The Weekend has to be one of the most surreal thing's I've seen on TV in a while.

It's worse if you remove this section.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

At my halls everybody just uses iPlayer and 4OD.

I can see the licence fee model getting dropped though. As people become more tech savvy iPlayer will dominate viewing, but you can't charge subscription fees while the licence is in place.

Its also illogical: $10 per month for TV licence Vs $10 per month for Internet and iPlayer.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Daimo posted:

At my halls everybody just uses iPlayer and 4OD.

I can see the licence fee model getting dropped though. As people become more tech savvy iPlayer will dominate viewing, but you can't charge subscription fees while the licence is in place.

Its also illogical: $10 per month for TV licence Vs $10 per month for Internet and iPlayer.
I suspect at some point iPlayer is going to want you register and tap in your TV licsense number and address. I mean I rarely watch actual TV, on demand is just better in every way unless you are one of those people who just likes the box on 24/7 and can put up with all the poo poo (most programs).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There are stories of TV licensing getting warrants and forcing access, but they need reason enough to convince a magistrate, so it's only in cases where they have people outright admitting to not paying when they need one.

Just refuse to talk to them and there's nothing they can really do.

But get a license if you need one because the castle is still pretty awesome all considered.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've had friends recommend Misfits to me for absolutely ages. But after being horribly burned with Heroes (and every other superpower show) I just wasn't feeling it.

Now I've powered through the entire first season and am halfway through the second. Bloody brilliant show.

I'm amazed that characters that I thought I would really despise have come to grow on me so much. Especially Kelly, the chav girl.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Metrication posted:

Yeah. I heard an interview with him on Radio 4 about it and he seemed to be actively talking down all the negative and appalling things the west did to dominate the world.

Sounds like a biased prick to me. I'll stick with Rory McGrath and Starkey for my History programming in the mean time.

Also, I agree with Cerv. The abbreviation of applications isn't even a proper word drat it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've just complained to the BBC about their news coverage of Japan. 10,000+ people dead and much of a country destroyed isn't sexy enough for them, so they have been fearmongering about atoms instead.

Pricks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Every history student I've known has thought that Starkey is a bit of a oval office, but acceptable because he's not Schama.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

goatface posted:

Every history student I've known has thought that Starkey is a bit of a oval office, but acceptable because he's not Schama.

I'm still saddened Brian Blessed never took an interest in history after doing Blackadder, that would have been incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've just complained to the BBC about their news coverage of Japan. 10,000+ people dead and much of a country destroyed isn't sexy enough for them, so they have been fearmongering about atoms instead.

Pricks.

Why? They're reporting developing news.