Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baish
Jul 29, 2010

Working on my invitations now. Is "Three O'Clock In The Evening" off putting? :confused: It's technically the afternoon I suppose? I'll post the final invitations/rsvp etc once I get them wrapped up.

If you're able to do your own, and need a cheep offset printer, I recommend https://www.gotprint.com. They're excellent quality for being so wallet friendly.

Baish fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Baish posted:

Working on my invitations now. Is "Three O'Clock In The Evening" off putting?

It's really weird, I've never heard anyone say it. Why'd you pick that instead of afternoon??

Baish
Jul 29, 2010

elbow posted:

It's really weird, I've never heard anyone say it. Why'd you pick that instead of afternoon??

Because I've over thought the invitations enough to become completely insane.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Baish posted:

Because I've over thought the invitations enough to become completely insane.

When I read "evening" I think "dark" and then I start wondering if you somehow meant 3 AM. If your wedding guests are of average intelligence you'll be fine, but I know if I sent that out to MY relatives, most of them would call me to complain about how late I was going to make them stay up.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Yeah, 3pm is definitely afternoon, not evening. I think the 4/5 line is the cutoff. 4 in the afternoon, 5 in the evening.

It'd take either a real idiot or someone really anal to actually complain about that though. Hell, only one person so far has noticed our "RSPV" request on the invite.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Got two or three DJ's to respond to currently. Aside from looking at reviews of their work, how can I decide between them?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
My DJ just backed out and I haven't found another one in my budget range. Anyone got any advice on a DIY DJ situation? The restaurant has a stereo setup with speakers throughout the dining area.

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009

Insane Totoro posted:

My DJ just backed out and I haven't found another one in my budget range. Anyone got any advice on a DIY DJ situation? The restaurant has a stereo setup with speakers throughout the dining area.

Our venue has a setup where you can just plug your ipod into the system and voila music! So that is what we are doing. We spent a couple of evenings compiling music we like (ultimate 80's cheese oh yeah) and have enough music for four hours.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
We did these Seal and Send Invitations

http://shop.getmarried.com/Wedding-Invitations/2909-GM045-Wildflowers--Seal-n-Send-Wedding-Invitation.pro

The bottom is a detachable post card, so you can save on shipping on the RSVP if you want to get post card stamps. And it's quite clear that it needs to be ripped off and returned once they open it.

It was $200 total to send out 100 invites w/ postage

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sitrus posted:

Our venue has a setup where you can just plug your ipod into the system and voila music! So that is what we are doing. We spent a couple of evenings compiling music we like (ultimate 80's cheese oh yeah) and have enough music for four hours.

This is the approach I'm going with, basically. The one thing you need to make sure of is that you've got someone who can guide the reception 'to do' list, though. (Toast time, go grab your food, father/daughter dance, etc etc.) Someone has to be in charge of things on that front. Got a bossy sibling? Perfect job. :D

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Got two or three DJ's to respond to currently. Aside from looking at reviews of their work, how can I decide between them?

If you don't have anything else to go on, go with your gut feeling. Does the DJ seem super cheezy or annoying? Chances are, he'll be the same way at your wedding.

Personally, we went with the DJ that knew all the obscure metal bands my husband was throwing out at her when she asked what kind of music he typically listens to.

FatFaerieFuck
Sep 20, 2009

Omits-Bagels posted:

So is $615 a lot for 115 invitations? They are just printed, no fancy letterpress or anything.

We found a design we like on Etsy and they go for about 5.50 each (I believe it comes with an invite, a response card, reception card and two envelops).

The lady will sell us the PDF if we want to do everything else ourselves but it seems like a lot of time.

To me 615 seems like a lot of money but I have no idea how these things work.

Seems a lot to me. I spent right at $100 using vistaprint.com. I got 100 invitations, RSVP cards, address labels, and corresponding envelopes.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Is it possible to mix a tungsten carbide wedding band with my wife's engagement ring (white gold)? Will the tungsten end up scuffing the other ring?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Insane Totoro posted:

Is it possible to mix a tungsten carbide wedding band with my wife's engagement ring (white gold)? Will the tungsten end up scuffing the other ring?

I'm not sure how those two metals would wear against each other. I've never seen that exact combination on someone's hand.

BlueCat
Nov 3, 2005
I Demand Satisfaction!
It looks like I'm starting again, six months out.

*BOTH* our ceremony venue and our reception venue got nailed in the earthquakes we've had here in the last couple of weeks (Christchurch, NZ)

Seems the CBD will be out of action for awhile, possibly until the end of the YEAR!

We had an inner city bar booked for the reception, and this place for the ceremony (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Historic_Chapel) which has had it's facade fall in on it, so won't be fixed in time.

I'm kinda freaking out now, not too many venues in the city may still be useable...

And to top it all off, I now have a set of invites printed with wrong venues.

ARGH!

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I've got the nod to be best man at a close friend's wedding, so I'm one of the people tasked with planning the Jack and Jill wedding shower. Google searches have helped me understand the gist of what's expected for the occasion, but any particular dos and dont's anyone could add from experience would be very much appreciated. Myself, the maid of honour and the bride's sisters are meeting on the weekend to plan and I'd love to have some great insight to bring to the table.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.

Insane Totoro posted:

From what I understand, the general problem with two different metals is that they will age differently. If you managed to get a tungsten ring that's the same tone and everything as white gold, a few years down the line, the two metals might look different.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Sitrus posted:

We did this, too. We had the guests send in their requests for dance tunes, so that helped limit the bitching about the music factor. We also, not to repeat myself, but it's just such a good deal I feel obligated to, we also used the university printing shop and got the blank invites from a craft store. The invites were like $30 a box,a nd printing was less than four bucks and it was a BEAUTIFUL print job.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

errol _flynn posted:

We did this, too. We had the guests send in their requests for dance tunes, so that helped limit the bitching about the music factor. We also, not to repeat myself, but it's just such a good deal I feel obligated to, we also used the university printing shop and got the blank invites from a craft store. The invites were like $30 a box,a nd printing was less than four bucks and it was a BEAUTIFUL print job.

Yeah, we were being quoted around £200-£300 for A5 sized invites that we'd already designed.

So we grabbed the exact same card they'd print on for £10 (and have a load left over), bought some new ink for our printer and just did it at home.

Other than the "RSPV" thing they were perfect.

cranberry juice
Feb 15, 2008
Does anyone know if this veil has a specific name? Do you think I could find something like this on etsy?
http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/photo/150872

cranberry juice fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 12, 2011

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

cranberry juice posted:

Does anyone know if this veil has a specific name? Do you think I could find something like this on etsy?
http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/photo/150872

I don't know if I am missing something, but that looks like a fairly standard elbow-length veil to me. You could definitely find a seller on Etsy, but they are pretty easy to make too.

cranberry juice
Feb 15, 2008

Fromage D Enfer posted:

I don't know if I am missing something, but that looks like a fairly standard elbow-length veil to me. You could definitely find a seller on Etsy, but they are pretty easy to make too.

Alright, I figured there might be some specific name for a veil that poofs up on the top like that, as opposed to one that is attached to the back of your head. I'll try some general searches for "Poof" and see what I can find. Thanks!

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

cranberry juice posted:

Alright, I figured there might be some specific name for a veil that poofs up on the top like that, as opposed to one that is attached to the back of your head. I'll try some general searches for "Poof" and see what I can find. Thanks!

It's a double sided veil, with one in the front and one in the back. The one in the front is folded over (like what you see in really traditional weddings, when the groom goes to kiss the bride).

At least that's how I'm seeing it.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

cranberry juice posted:

dopaMEAN posted:

It's a double sided veil, with one in the front and one in the back. The one in the front is folded over (like what you see in really traditional weddings, when the groom goes to kiss the bride).

At least that's how I'm seeing it.

Yeah, that's just a veil with an attached blusher. When it gets tucked under a hairdo, the blusher is folded one way because the blusher will never cover the bride's face, and when it's tucked above the hairdo, the blusher is folded the opposite way so that if you want, the blusher can cover your face.

Here's my veil, tucked above my hairdo with the blusher folder over:

(I never folded the veil over to cover my face, I just looked better with a multi-layered veil)

If you wanted a bigger poof you can always pin things the way you want.

Veils are obscenely easy to make, there are tons of websites out there to get instructions.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
I just got engaged about a month ago. :toot:
This is kinda E/N but...I'm really nervous though cause our parents haven't met yet and I don't want them to meet each other at our wedding.
The problem is that my parents are alcoholics who are drunk all the time, but are very nice and chatty people.
His parents are both recovering alcoholics (10+ years sober), and very quiet and awkward people.
They're pretty much opposites. I'm worried that them meeting each other will go over horribly, especially since my parents can be pretty pushy about making other people drink. I realize they're just trying to be "good hosts" but to a sober person, it really comes off as them pressuring people into drinking.
What can I do to make the introduction go smoothly?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

candywife posted:

This is kinda E/N but...I'm really nervous though cause our parents haven't met yet and I don't want them to meet each other at our wedding.
The problem is that my parents are alcoholics who are drunk all the time, but are very nice and chatty people.
His parents are both recovering alcoholics (10+ years sober), and very quiet and awkward people.
They're pretty much opposites. I'm worried that them meeting each other will go over horribly, especially since my parents can be pretty pushy about making other people drink. I realize they're just trying to be "good hosts" but to a sober person, it really comes off as them pressuring people into drinking.

First off, congratulations!

My parents recently met his parents for the first time, and I was super nervous about it because his mom can be... difficult (see my previous post in the thread). Everyone, however, was on their best behavior because they realize that the wedding is happening and they might as well suck it up and get to know each other.

I'd suggest all going out to a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol and just remove it from the equation. Neutral ground is a great place, and if alcohol isn't available, then they can't be pressured to drink a bottle or four. Your parents might be a little disappointed, but it'd probably work ok.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011

BadSamaritan posted:

First off, congratulations!

My parents recently met his parents for the first time, and I was super nervous about it because his mom can be... difficult (see my previous post in the thread). Everyone, however, was on their best behavior because they realize that the wedding is happening and they might as well suck it up and get to know each other.

I'd suggest all going out to a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol and just remove it from the equation. Neutral ground is a great place, and if alcohol isn't available, then they can't be pressured to drink a bottle or four. Your parents might be a little disappointed, but it'd probably work ok.

Thank you :)

Oh, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Now to figure out a decent place around here that DOESN'T serve alcohol, or at least doesn't have a full bar.

Both sets of parents are really, really happy for us and totally supportive so there's not going to be an issue with that (which is a HUGE relief) In fact, a week before we got engaged his dad gave me a card for Valentine's day saying how he was glad to have me as part of the family. I didn't even realize that my boyfriend was going to propose to me, and I thought it was the just sweetest card anyone has ever given me. v:shobon:v

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Anybody have any experience sending Seal and Send invitations in the mail?

Went to finally drop them off at the post office, and they were telling me that because they were not sealed on the sides that they were going to charge an extra 20 center PER INVITATION to mail them. So we sent one off to my fiances parents to see how it looks when it arrives. We just dropped it in the mail box, and we'll see what happens I guess.

If it looks torn up by the machines I guess well put some more clear seals on the sides of the invitation, but the whole point of these things was to not put seals all around them!

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

candywife posted:

Just wondering but why not talk to your parents and let them know that his parents don't drink and ask them not to push it?

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

My fiancee and I got engaged last August, and we have been discussing having our wedding this coming August. We're looking at somewhat eloping for the wedding, and flying to Hawaii.

Background is, I'm a Kiwi with most family in NZ. My fiancee is Chinese, all family in Northern China. But we both live in Perth, Australia. We've decided it isn't practical to have a wedding in NZ (bad for her family), China (bad for my family), or Australia since then everyone has to travel. Hence we came up with the decision we should just fly somewhere and spend all the money on the trip/honeymoon, and get married overseas. She has been most keen on Hawaii (which is cheap now with parity between the USD and AUD).

What I'm looking for is the options available in Hawaii, we're looking for 1.5-2 weeks in Hawaii (as we may go to California after as well). We're looking staying in a fancy hotel, (not just a skyscrapper at Waikiki). Most probably not staying on Oahu, but another island with a more resort style hotel.

So has anyone else ever done something similar, or lives in Hawaii and can suggest an option?

I've done some research, and there and heaps of companies offering wedding package deals online. They provide the location, celebrant, photography etc. But as this is an important day, I do want to us to be making an informed choice and getting excellent service.

I'd assume there are resort hotels that also offer the whole wedding package, hotels that may have their own private beaches. Very approximate budget is about 10,000$US for the accommodation + wedding.

So does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on having a wedding in Hawaii? And maybe what some of the pitfalls we should be looking out for are?

As I want to get a wedding place sorted prior to spending 5000$ on flights to get there.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
If anyone is in the market for a diamond at the moment, be prepared for some sticker shock. The newest price sheet for diamonds came out, and many sizes of diamond from the tiny melee stones up through 3 carats have shot up about 35% in price in the last month. My family jewelry store has been around over 70 years and we're loving stunned right now.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

candywife posted:

I have to agree with Tindjin, who wanted to know why you didn't just talk to your parents and tell them to stop being pushy?

Will there be alcohol at the wedding reception? If so, you're going to have to deal with this issue sooner or later and sooner is definitely better than waiting until your wedding day to confront it. Why not still do the neutral ground but don't worry about picking someplace without alcohol. Explain to your parents and count on them to behave. Consider it a trial run for the wedding. Otherwise you're going to be fretting about how they're going to act around each other on the big day.

If you're not doing alcohol at the reception, I still think it's a good idea to explain the situation to your parents. Over your lives together your parents and his will probably see each other from time to time and it's best to deal with these situations right from the start.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My luck has been way too loving good. Something's gotta go wrong soon.

First place we visited was awesome. Venue / reception done.
First photographer kicked rear end. Done.
Made our own invitations, came out awesome the first time. Done.
Her parents coughed up $$$ for alcohol and then paid us for the photographer. Done and unexpected!
Catering... done with the first guy. Affordable and delicious.
The dress she liked was apparently both on sale and exactly her size. Done, and discontinued dress style marked down from $1300 to $300.

So when are we going to get slapped around now? SOMETHING has to go wrong. October wedding, and we're almost done with everything in mid March, over $2000 below budget.

Hell... yes.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

So I have my bridesmaids all picked out, 4 are really close to me but live at least a few hours away, and one is a pretty recent friend, but she was the one who went to pick out my dress, and I'm guessing will be helping me out the most with my wedding plans. But now I have to pick out the maid of honor, and I'm freaking out a bit. The one closest to me will be helping me out the most, but I haven't known her for too long, but I'd feel like crap if I rely on her so much and she's just a bridesmaid. The other person I have in mind lives 4 hours away, but was there during the hardest part of my life. Both are wonderful, and I'm thinking that I'm probably going to ask the one closest to be my bridesmaid since I'm pretty sure we'll get to know each other even better in the next year, but I'm still torn. Any advice?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Sundae posted:

My luck has been way too loving good. Something's gotta go wrong soon.

First place we visited was awesome. Venue / reception done.
First photographer kicked rear end. Done.
Made our own invitations, came out awesome the first time. Done.
Her parents coughed up $$$ for alcohol and then paid us for the photographer. Done and unexpected!
Catering... done with the first guy. Affordable and delicious.
The dress she liked was apparently both on sale and exactly her size. Done, and discontinued dress style marked down from $1300 to $300.

So when are we going to get slapped around now? SOMETHING has to go wrong. October wedding, and we're almost done with everything in mid March, over $2000 below budget.

Hell... yes.

Planning to honeymoon in Tokyo?

My Best Man got married last September, and was due to fly there in 2 weeks for his honeymoon. :(

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

Effexxor posted:

So I have my bridesmaids all picked out, 4 are really close to me but live at least a few hours away, and one is a pretty recent friend, but she was the one who went to pick out my dress, and I'm guessing will be helping me out the most with my wedding plans. But now I have to pick out the maid of honor, and I'm freaking out a bit. The one closest to me will be helping me out the most, but I haven't known her for too long, but I'd feel like crap if I rely on her so much and she's just a bridesmaid. The other person I have in mind lives 4 hours away, but was there during the hardest part of my life. Both are wonderful, and I'm thinking that I'm probably going to ask the one closest to be my bridesmaid since I'm pretty sure we'll get to know each other even better in the next year, but I'm still torn. Any advice?

Well, I think I was somewhat in the position of your recent friend for my friend Amber last year. Amber and I met because our guys met each other through work, hit it off, and got us all together; we of course all became really tight friends almost instantaneously, which was odd but great. Now, Amber was already engaged when I met her (for a couple months I think), so I never had any expectations or anything like that, not even to really attend the wedding. However, after we became such fast friends, at around the 6 month point I found out that her bridesmaids and MOH were all hours away from where we lived. So when it came to things like dress fittings, accessorizing, things like that, she always asked me to come along. I didn't mind, because I mean, it's my friend and I would hate for her to have to do that stuff alone, that's just not right! I also ended up throwing her kind of a mini-bachelorette, because it sounded like her MOH wasn't going to, but I also didn't want to step on any toes since she might have had one when she actually went 'back home' right before the wedding. I never expected to be a bridesmaid, though I suppose I would have said yes if she asked.... however if she had asked me to be her MOH because I happened to be doing these things, I think that would have made me uncomfortable and I probably would have been concerned that she'd be upsetting some of her other friends or family who might have expected it. I would say you should be fine with her just being a bridesmaid, although I think it's nice that you're trying to be so considerate in regards to what she's doing for you. I guess just make sure you let her know how appreciated it is, and I'm sure she'll be happy. :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Masonity posted:

Planning to honeymoon in Tokyo?

My Best Man got married last September, and was due to fly there in 2 weeks for his honeymoon. :(

Ouch. Poor guy. :(

We're not doing the honeymoon until May 2012, so we've still got quite a bit of time to plan that. I'm not a fan of racking up credit card debt, so we're pushing it back until we've got our finances stabilized post-wedding and can pay for the whole thing in one go.

Plus, Ireland and Germany in November won't be quite as fun as in May. :)

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Sundae posted:

Ouch. Poor guy. :(

We're not doing the honeymoon until May 2012, so we've still got quite a bit of time to plan that. I'm not a fan of racking up credit card debt, so we're pushing it back until we've got our finances stabilized post-wedding and can pay for the whole thing in one go.

Plus, Ireland and Germany in November won't be quite as fun as in May. :)

... You realise that May is Leprechaun migration time right? Large parts of Ireland may be in total lockdown...

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Masonity posted:

... You realise that May is Leprechaun migration time right? Large parts of Ireland may be in total lockdown...

They get nasty when they're preparing for breeding season, too. Let me tell you, a leprechaun bite lasts a lot longer than its gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Camembert posted:

Well, I think I was somewhat in the position of your recent friend for my friend Amber last year. Amber and I met because our guys met each other through work, hit it off, and got us all together; we of course all became really tight friends almost instantaneously, which was odd but great. Now, Amber was already engaged when I met her (for a couple months I think), so I never had any expectations or anything like that, not even to really attend the wedding. However, after we became such fast friends, at around the 6 month point I found out that her bridesmaids and MOH were all hours away from where we lived. So when it came to things like dress fittings, accessorizing, things like that, she always asked me to come along. I didn't mind, because I mean, it's my friend and I would hate for her to have to do that stuff alone, that's just not right! I also ended up throwing her kind of a mini-bachelorette, because it sounded like her MOH wasn't going to, but I also didn't want to step on any toes since she might have had one when she actually went 'back home' right before the wedding. I never expected to be a bridesmaid, though I suppose I would have said yes if she asked.... however if she had asked me to be her MOH because I happened to be doing these things, I think that would have made me uncomfortable and I probably would have been concerned that she'd be upsetting some of her other friends or family who might have expected it. I would say you should be fine with her just being a bridesmaid, although I think it's nice that you're trying to be so considerate in regards to what she's doing for you. I guess just make sure you let her know how appreciated it is, and I'm sure she'll be happy. :)

That does sound a lot like our situation, actually. But yeah, I was thinking that maybe I could also give the recent friend a 'Helper to Bride' or whatever title, she's also asked to plan my bachelorette party and I know that with her planning it, it'll be a blast. Basically she all but planned her sister's wedding and loved it, so I get the feeling she's really gonna want to be involved. I'll still mull it over, but this helps out alot, thank you!