Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

pigdog posted:

Yes. The first "modern" M&M game in the same vein is 6, the earlier ones were DOS fare and don't even compare.

I think World of Xeen (4&5) is the best Might and Magic game even though it has less options just because of the really expressive graphics. 6 and 7 have some really good dungeons though. Also Arcomage is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

*edit* To stay on-topic what's the hold up with getting SS 1+2 on GoG? If they can get Planescape the poster child of "who-holds-the-rights" games. I wonder what's going on behind the scenes with whomever has the rights.

SS1 is almost certainly owned by EA these days; it was published through Origin Systems, who were themselves acquired by EA two years before (and killed by EA in 2004).

SS2 may be more complicated, since it was co-developed with Irrational Games (now owned by 2k Games) but published by EA.

Note how nothing owned by 2K or EA is present on GOG. Either it hasn't come up yet, or negotiations are ongoing, or they've been approached but have rebuffed GOG. Personally, my money's on the latter; both are assholes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ToxicFrog posted:

SS Portable has both mouselook and high resolution integrated by default. Both are optional.

If you can run it in dosbox, you should prefer that to ntvdm/vdmsound mode - it tends to be more reliable.

As for performance, my experience has been that if you can run it in 640x480 you can run it 800x600; 1024x768 is noticeably slower, and 1280x1024 is both slower and unstable. If you're having trouble when going above 320x400, try increasing dosbox's speed.

Also, if you're having trouble with the custom dosbox builds included with SSP, you should be able to load it up in the official dosbox build with little difficulty - that's what I've been using.

Thanks. Is there a way to invert mouselook? This is absolutely critical.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Is there any reason to get HOMM IV if I already have 3 and am terrible at it

Generally held that 3 is the best, alot of people hate 4 but I think it was ok, it did change a bunch of stuff though some of it good and some bad. 4 is different enough that you might do better at it even if you suck at 3 but honestly unless you dont mind spending money I'd just stick with 3.

I will say that for what its worth HOMMIV had some pretty good single player campaigns.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I dunno, I got the M&M Six pack and couldn't get into any of them. I loved Daggerfall, but this just isn't my type of game. It was too hard to get around, the earlier ones did that bullshit click an arrow move a square stuff that drove me crazy in games. I need more free roaming. I sorta checked out of the M&M series, Heroes owns and Dark Messiah was more my speed.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I never liked 4 but I haver to admit and never really insisted much. The thing is: they changed too much of that gameplay that people recognized as being the HoMM style.

HoMM 5 is not bad at all: is an improved HoMM 3 with better tactical options, better spell system, better hero development, better variety among races and, after ToE, a lot more variety in troop choices.

Too bad it uses an awful engine full of bugs (it was barely playable when it was launched, and still crashes sometimes even in the latest version) with loading times that are still amazingly long in modern machines.

But to compare it to Kings Bounty (which is RPG with tactical combat) or AoW (which is more like Master of Magic than anything) inst very fair: they are very different games despite the somewhat similar tactical combat systems.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Thanks. Is there a way to invert mouselook? This is absolutely critical.

Edit XCYB.CFG (which contains the settings for the mouselook/keybind patch) and change vertical sensitivity (mlook_vsense, I think?) to a negative value.

Also, you are objectively wrong in your preference for inverted mouselook and I don't know why I'm encouraging you. :colbert:

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

AxeManiac posted:

I dunno, I got the M&M Six pack and couldn't get into any of them. I loved Daggerfall, but this just isn't my type of game. It was too hard to get around, the earlier ones did that bullshit click an arrow move a square stuff that drove me crazy in games. I need more free roaming. I sorta checked out of the M&M series, Heroes owns and Dark Messiah was more my speed.
I replayed most of M&M 4/5 last year and found that it was much more enjoyable to play with keyboard controls, using the mouse for certain things that are easier than the keyboard. But walking, attacking, and set-spells go much smoother on the keyboard.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

SS1 is almost certainly owned by EA these days; it was published through Origin Systems, who were themselves acquired by EA two years before (and killed by EA in 2004).

SS2 may be more complicated, since it was co-developed with Irrational Games (now owned by 2k Games) but published by EA.

Note how nothing owned by 2K or EA is present on GOG. Either it hasn't come up yet, or negotiations are ongoing, or they've been approached but have rebuffed GOG. Personally, my money's on the latter; both are assholes.

I'm pretty sure EA has offhandedly mentioned a service similar to GOG but nothing has come out of it yet. They're sitting on a veritable gold mine of old stuff would rather have it collecting digital dust instead of trying to make some money off it. I actually expected Activision of all folks to cave last but EA is hanging in there.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AxeManiac posted:

To be fair, Xeen is a keyboard-based game that just happens to support the mouse. It's MUCH better if you use keyboard shortcuts. And it's really about as free roaming as first person RPGs got in those days... you pretty much have the entire world and every possible sidequest available to you from the beginning. It's still not as open as Daggerfall, but nothing's as open as Daggerfall.

Still, I won't deny that the Xeen games took me a few false starts before they finally clicked with me. But once they did I sunk a good 100 hours into them, and this was in 2009.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Speaking of Daggerfall, does anyone know if the CD-ROM version of Arena is freeware too? I only ever found the floppy disk version for free officially.

Omega Hans
Feb 6, 2010

Charles Martel posted:

Speaking of Daggerfall, does anyone know if the CD-ROM version of Arena is freeware too? I only ever found the floppy disk version for free officially.

Unfortunately, the CD-ROM version was never released as freeware but there is an unofficial patch that adds the CD version's sounds and videos to the floppy version.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Weekend sale is up. Was anyone waiting to pull the trigger on some Simon the Sorcerer?

Edit: Helpful! http://www.gog.com/en/promo/gems_of_gaming

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Picked up Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2, and the Feeble Files. Already have Divine Divinity. Beyond Divinity has a poor rep due to bugs and repetitiveness, and the other two games are unknowns.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I laughed when i saw they were promoting Beyond Divinity as a "gem of gaming".

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

That and Personal Nightmare and Waxworks (can't speak for all the others though). I'm sure there's some audience that likes those kinds of games, but I can't imagine who.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
You know what's more fun and less frustrating than playing Waxworks or Personal Nightmare? Watching someone else play them, which you can do on Youtube for free. Those games are loving terrible and I wouldn't buy either of them at any price.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Thompsons posted:

You know what's more fun and less frustrating than playing Waxworks or Personal Nightmare? Watching someone else play them, which you can do on Youtube for free. Those games are loving terrible and I wouldn't buy either of them at any price.

Even better are the montages of the deaths your character can suffer.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Picked up Simon the Sorcerer, I hope it's okay! (I also picked up Last Express which I don't have the time to play properly yet.)

Looking at their catalogue made me wonder if they'll ever get the Kyrandia games. I guess I only care about the third one and maybe the second one. It was ages ago but I still have fond memories of running around as an evil court jester solving puzzles about sandwiches and playing fish chess.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Simon is a classic. Much nicer art than Monkey Island, slightly cheekier British humour, and memorable characters ("Just a bit of balsa?!"). The puzzles are at times incredibly obtuse (think very laterally - sometimes you'll need to use inventory objects with themselves and try a few SCUMM commands on the world before you hit the right one). I think one of the function keys might highlight objects you can interact with, if you get stuck. You will absolutely hate Simon by the end of it, but that's why Rimmer is on the talkie track.

Oh - and the manual is worth reading for a chuckle.

The second one is almost as good, just lacking Chris Barrie.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 12, 2011

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Feeble Files pretty much has the same great humour as Simon but much less lovely puzzles (except THE loving ARCADE), also it has Kryten.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Thompsons posted:

I actually forced myself all the way through Waxworks only using a guide for tips, and that was so absurdly painful enough. Then I tried Personal Nightmare and after failing over and over I looked at a guide, saw how obtuse and random the solutions were, and decided that was the end of that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
GOG is looking for "heroes" to help promote their next set of Ubisoft games, with several tasks in the upcoming weeks with free game codes as rewards. The grand prize? An actual sword and shield :stare: (and $150 USD in GOG games)

http://www.gog.com/en/news/become_a_gog_hero_declare_your_intent

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If I win that sword, I'm gonna stab the gently caress out of some DRM.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

C-Euro posted:

GOG is looking for "heroes" to help promote their next set of Ubisoft games, with several tasks in the upcoming weeks with free game codes as rewards. The grand prize? An actual sword and shield :stare: (and $150 USD in GOG games)

http://www.gog.com/en/news/become_a_gog_hero_declare_your_intent

Haha, that shield looks surprisingly like a frying pan without a handle.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Is Divine Divinity worth getting? For $3 seems like a steal.

Also, is the sequel worth it as well, been eying it for awhile.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Red Mundus posted:

Is Divine Divinity worth getting? For $3 seems like a steal.

Also, is the sequel worth it as well, been eying it for awhile.
Divine Divinity is a fantastic open-world clicky RPG, after you beat the first major dungeon.

Beyond Divinity is a lovely stand-alone expansion.

Divinity 2, not on GOG, is apparently pretty good now after some updating and an expansion that retroactively fixed the base game too.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Divine Divinity is a fantastic open-world clicky RPG, after you beat the first major dungeon.

Beyond Divinity is a lovely stand-alone expansion.

Divinity 2, not on GOG, is apparently pretty good now after some updating and an expansion that retroactively fixed the base game too.

Sounds good, off I go to give GoG my cash.

And thanks for the heads up on Beyond Divinity.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Never played any of these types of RPGs (diablo, runescape?) but for that price and a good review on gamespot I think I'll try it out.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

metallicaeg posted:

Never played any of these types of RPGs (diablo, runescape?) but for that price and a good review on gamespot I think I'll try it out.

If i remember correctly it is not an action RPG, but switches to a fallout-like turn-mode in combat. It's actually pretty much like fallout in high fantasy with a world that only has load zones when you go up or down a ladder.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Are there any good starter guides for Might and Magic 7? Because I take like five steps out of town before getting swarmed by dozens of dragonflies.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Thompsons posted:

Are there any good starter guides for Might and Magic 7? Because I take like five steps out of town before getting swarmed by dozens of dragonflies.

Whenever you get into a fight you should go into turn based mode (spacebar). It makes it easier to take out individual targets and effectively manage large numbers of enemies until you get to a really high level and it makes more sense to fly around and shoot fireballs.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Thompsons posted:

Mr. Malwick hangs near the alchemy shop. In exchange for doing a tricky sidequest much later in the game he gives you a powerful fireball wand with enough charges to last the rest of the island, if you use it frugally.

If you want none of his ominous moustache, you can take about 3-4 at a time with the default party. Just wander near the horde and draw a bunch away from the swamp. If you get in over your head, just bolt off back to town and the guards will take them on.

phreaky
Nov 4, 2009

What I find more disturbing than a guy saying he's not going to buy a game is the set of comments by people who instantly project their own insecurities and assume the individual is white, male, and ironically, a bigot.

scamtank posted:

Mr. Malwick hangs near the alchemy shop. In exchange for doing a tricky sidequest much later in the game he gives you a powerful fireball wand with enough charges to last the rest of the island, if you use it frugally.

If you want none of his ominous moustache, you can take about 3-4 at a time with the default party. Just wander near the horde and draw a bunch away from the swamp. If you get in over your head, just bolt off back to town and the guards will take them on.

this sometimes has the humorous side effect of overwhelming the guards (if you draw too many dragonflies) and killing the entire (outside) populace of the starting town :) there's a cache of goodies in the far nw corner of the island, if you manage to hack your way through everything

however if you're new, the fireball wand is probably the way to go... malwick will call in a favor later, but you can choose whether or not to do it... if you don't do it, the negative consequences are fairly easily dealt with by a party at that stage of the game

also, I don't recall if this is possible on the starting town in mm7, but in mm6 if you trained all your characters with archery and bought them a bow, you could cheese the early portions of the game by backpedaling+spamming arrows as monsters chased you

phreaky fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 12, 2011

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

scamtank posted:

You can sidestep this by getting a huge bunch of dragonflies into the town, and have them kill most of the citizens. This'll take care of a lot of the dragonflies, and let you pick up his wand without too much a problem.

Switching into turn based mode is really the only way to survive any combats without getting destroyed, though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Clouseau posted:

You can sidestep this by getting a huge bunch of dragonflies into the town, and have them kill most of the citizens. This'll take care of a lot of the dragonflies, and let you pick up his wand without too much a problem.
Unfortunately, taking the wand off his dead body triggers the "deal with the devil" all the same.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Mithaldu posted:

I am a huge fan of Divine Divinity and Divinity 2, and yeah, not even I can call Beyond Divinity a "gem of gaming".

It's not quite poor enough to call it a bad game, but it's definitely mediocre and unpolished. But definitely get Divine Divinity for that price, it's most certainly worth it.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I love Divine Divinity just started playing but one question.

Is sneak supposed to be useless? I'm using a bow right now because drat near every enemy sees me regardless.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Red Mundus posted:

I love Divine Divinity just started playing but one question.

Is sneak supposed to be useless? I'm using a bow right now because drat near every enemy sees me regardless.

It doesn't work that well in the presence of light. Sneaking during the day won't work that well above-ground, and below ground, you should turn out torches and other light sources. And you need to move around, because you can still be heard by enemies. You'll also want stamina potions because Sneaking constantly drains stamina.

Beyond Divinity actually improved on how Stealth works, and it gives you an enemy sight radius for underground areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Mithaldu posted:

If i remember correctly it is not an action RPG, but switches to a fallout-like turn-mode in combat. It's actually pretty much like fallout in high fantasy with a world that only has load zones when you go up or down a ladder.

This isn't true. Combat in divine divinity is Diablo style, and quite good.