Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Glasgow posted:

Curse you!

Technochilla loves shiny things.

Click here for the full 539x720 image.

But seriously, Diesel tries to eat my face metal.

Click here for the full 539x720 image.

I can play the cute game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

NarwhalParty posted:

:sympathy: Goondolences, my beloved six month old hamster died suddenly two days ago. Smaller pets aren't really bred for longevity, so an unexpected death could be due to poor breeding. There could also be a number of preexisting conditions like diabetes that are difficult to spot. Were the gerbils siblings?

All I really know about their genes is that they were probably not related, as they came from different stores (I know now that that is a bad place to get any critter.) I guess the fact that they came from stores in the first place indicates that they probably didn't have great genes. Since Skippy and Brownie were unrelated, though, I don't think that a preexisting condition was to blame here. Thanks for the advice and the goondolences.

alucinor posted:

I'm sorry to hear about that. Since gerbs can easily make 4 years or older, I agree that one and two years old is way young for two to die at the same time of old age or chronic illness. So my first guess would be environmental.

Unfortunately that adds more possibilities than it excludes. Was their water bottle nozzle plugged? Did they get any treats while you were gone? How long had they been eating this bag of store-bought food? Was it a new bag or a very old one? Is it musty smelling or is there any sign of damp/mold in the container? Did your power go off and they got too hot/too cold? Do you have a carbon monoxide detector or any risk of carbon monoxide in the house? Did your landlord spray for pests while you were gone? Etc etc.

Have you considered getting a necropsy done? That could certainly set your mind at ease.

I don't think there was something wrong with the air or the temperature of the apartment, as my parents' rabbits were also staying there and are thankfully fine. No treats, just food and water. Of these factors, one does stick out in my mind. I don't remember exactly when I bought this food but it was more than three weeks ago, when I think about it. It was a larger bag than I usually buy. Seed mix was never something I thought to go bad, especially since it was sealed well. That definitely seems like a possibility...that might've done it.

Thanks for the information. A necropsy isn't possible, since my mom took them home on Monday to bury them in the garden, and removing them now would feel awful. But I have a better idea of what might've happened now.

Also thanks to everyone posting adorable pics, they made my day brighter.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone feed their hamster or gerbil any mealworms?

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I should try to be less like Ignatius J. Reilly and more like John Kennedy Toole. Rev the engine and pass me that hose
I just bought a roborovski dwarf hamster which I'm really happy with. She seems to be really scared though. I bought a two story wooden igloo thing for her that's shaped like a house and she pretty much has stayed inside huddled in a corner for the majority of the first couple of days.

I've seen her venture out for about five or ten minutes where she eats and drinks and a couple visits to a cardboard tube to use the bathroom but other than those rare occasions she just stays inside and sleeps.

Is this normal? It's only been a couple days but I'm worried about her. Is she just stressed from the new environment and noises?

I checked her tail and she doesn't have diarrhea or anything.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

As others advised me in the past:

It sounds like she is just freaked out, being in a new environment. If she is eating and drinking, that is good sign, give her another day or two and see if she calms down at all.

SuperJa
Mar 18, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Diogines posted:

As others advised me in the past:

It sounds like she is just freaked out, being in a new environment. If she is eating and drinking, that is good sign, give her another day or two and see if she calms down at all.

This is pretty much it. She's a prey animal that is built to be eaten by everything, so environmental changes are pretty stressful. Just pay attention for a few days on her eating and drinking. As long as that continues, she's fine.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

TLG James posted:

Does anyone feed their hamster or gerbil any mealworms?

I haven't, but I've read/heard they love them. I'm not sure I'd offer them regularly, but they might be nice as a treat every now and then.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Must you betray me with a kiss?

Turtle before the Storm posted:

I just bought a roborovski dwarf hamster which I'm really happy with. She seems to be really scared though. I bought a two story wooden igloo thing for her that's shaped like a house and she pretty much has stayed inside huddled in a corner for the majority of the first couple of days.

I've seen her venture out for about five or ten minutes where she eats and drinks and a couple visits to a cardboard tube to use the bathroom but other than those rare occasions she just stays inside and sleeps.

Is this normal? It's only been a couple days but I'm worried about her. Is she just stressed from the new environment and noises?

I checked her tail and she doesn't have diarrhea or anything.

Prey animals are scaredy cats. Sitting with her and letting her get used to you will make her less skittish, but she'll probably always be weird like that.

Aren't robos pretty social? I don't know if she's too old to accept other hamsters; she may like a friend.

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I should try to be less like Ignatius J. Reilly and more like John Kennedy Toole. Rev the engine and pass me that hose
Well she's been coming out more often and seems less traumatized in general. But she has this weird thing where she runs at full speed against the plastic wall of her cage? We have a silent spinner wheel (we decided to remove the metal one for fear of her feet getting broken) but she just sits in it or walks in it for about 5 seconds. Instead, like I was saying, she seems to just be running against the wall face.

What does that mean? Is she trying to tunnel out of her cage? Or is she just confused and doesn't understand how to use the wheel?

We have a plastic bookshelf aquarium which is long and narrow. It's big enough to fit a 2 story wooden house igloo thing, a wheel, a food dish, and a water bottle. But I feel like it might be cruel to keep her in this when hamsters in nature would prefer a tunnel system. What do you guys think? Is it necessary to get one of those fancy hamster habitat systems with the tunnels and all that? Am I just worrying too much? I'd like to know if anyone else has a hamster in a regular aquarium style cage and if they think the animal is okay in there.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
IMO regular aquarium style cages are better ventilated and less lovely than those Habitrail plastic traps. Stick with what you've got and give her plenty of enrichment (cardboard, tp rolls, fresh food jammed in tricky places, etc) and you should be fine.

Also I don't know how successful it would be to try and introduce another robo to her, but they're social animals and she would probably benefit from a friend.

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
Really? I heard that if you have more than one they will fight to the death from multiple places. I'd be down with getting a buddy with a bigger cage but everything I've read has said not to. But are robos different?

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Really? I heard that if you have more than one they will fight to the death from multiple places. I'd be down with getting a buddy with a bigger cage but everything I've read has said not to. But are robos different?

I've read they can be introduced, with supervision, to other hamsters. Usually it's better to just keep family groups together. I imagine it would be done like with other animals: put them together for short periods of time, always with food so they associate hanging-out time with yummy-treat time, separate them if they start to fight, etc. But there is always that risk that a hamster will just gut another hamster all suddenly, so I don't know. It would be hard to know whether they were rough housing or killing each other until it's too late.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

:science: Actually yes, Robos are among the few species of ham that isn't solitary in the wild; they live in social burrowing communities and typically are sold as a pair or a trio of same sex.

That being said, however, if your robo is too old/adjusted to their own territory, they won't accept a new companion, which is why they're typical sold in groups or in a pair. Don't worry too much though, your robo won't suffer and die being alone, you've just gotta make sure there's a lot of enrichment and stuff for her to do, like I mentioned earlier. Don't expect her to be too into being handled though...most of what I've read/seen about them suggests they don't like human company all that much. Mine mostly wanted to be left alone to burrow and chew stuff. :)

Robo Hamsters is a good resource for all your robo needs.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Can I post more cute now? I'm not out of pics.

Chinchillas sleep like perverts.

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
Okay so does anyone have experience introducing a companion robo hamster to an existing one? I've read lots of conflicting things on the subject. When we bought this one, she was the only one at the store and the lady there told us never to put more than one together. Then I found out that roborovski's are meant to live in pairs and such and lone hamsters may actually live shorter lives. I think it's mean to make a creature live a solitary existence if they don't do so in nature.

Thus, I'm thinking of getting a companion. When I do, I was thinking I'm going to seperate the existing cage (after cleaning it) with a wire mesh wall so they can smell each other and whatever for about a week or maybe two, then put them both into a newer, bigger cage.

I know there's no promise they won't end up fighting - but is there a good chance they'll get along? We would be really upset if one killed the other.

Turtle before the Storm fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 9, 2011

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I have more cute to post too!

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
"We're Chinchillas (no homo)"

Goddamn those are cute. The GF is pushing to get a pair or Chins or couple of Pigs (we have 2 Gerbils right now). I can't let her see these pictures.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Awesome Kristin posted:

I have more cute to post too!

It's like if ferrets were round instead of long. :3:

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

Okay so does anyone have experience introducing a companion robo hamster to an existing one? I've read lots of conflicting things on the subject. When we bought this one, she was the only one at the store and the lady there told us never to put more than one together. Then I found out that roborovski's are meant to live in pairs and such and lone hamsters may actually live shorter lives. I think it's mean to make a creature live a solitary existence if they don't do so in nature.

Thus, I'm thinking of getting a companion. When I do, I was thinking I'm going to seperate the existing cage (after cleaning it) with a wire mesh wall so they can smell each other and whatever for about a week or maybe two, then put them both into a newer, bigger cage.

I know there's no promise they won't end up fighting - but is there a good chance they'll get along? We would be really upset if one killed the other.

Lady at the store is an idiot. Robos are very sociable and often sleep in piles. Of course there is a small chance they will really not get along but generally they do well in groups. Some small fighting/squeaking at each other is normal, but if any blood is drawn seperate them. Your plan of letting them smell each other first seems ok, but I'd do this as soon as possible as I were you.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I switched to a fleece liner today. I hope they learn to use the litter areas because this will make my life so much easier!

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004

Crash BandiCute posted:

Lady at the store is an idiot. Robos are very sociable and often sleep in piles. Of course there is a small chance they will really not get along but generally they do well in groups. Some small fighting/squeaking at each other is normal, but if any blood is drawn seperate them. Your plan of letting them smell each other first seems ok, but I'd do this as soon as possible as I were you.

Yeah - I realized she was as soon as I got home and researched the breed. We got our second hamster today, dividing the cage up in half with a mesh. It was a nightmare because the damned thing wasn't covering ever inch of the divide and our new buddy scampered over the top. We ended up wedging a sock in there - not ideal but we were pressed for time and worried about them jumping out (possible as this cage isn't tall). After a week of letting them smell each other we'll transfer them to the bigger cage.

Sadly, our original robo is like traumatized or something. She just sits huddled in the corner all puffed up. Then again, she pretty much has spent most of her time in her house since we got her.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah - I realized she was as soon as I got home and researched the breed. We got our second hamster today, dividing the cage up in half with a mesh. It was a nightmare because the damned thing wasn't covering ever inch of the divide and our new buddy scampered over the top. We ended up wedging a sock in there - not ideal but we were pressed for time and worried about them jumping out (possible as this cage isn't tall). After a week of letting them smell each other we'll transfer them to the bigger cage.

Sadly, our original robo is like traumatized or something. She just sits huddled in the corner all puffed up. Then again, she pretty much has spent most of her time in her house since we got her.

All puffed up? Perhaps her face is full of food; she may think the new hamster will eat all the food and is hoarding it. Once you do put them together just make sure they're getting enough food.

Has anybody here had to trim a robos nails? I've noticed all my girls have one or two nails on each front foot that is way too long for my liking. Not wrapped around and piercing the foot or anything, but starting to curl. I tried holding them and snipping them off with nail trimmers, but they're so squirmy and the nails are so tiny I'm scared I'll lop their toes off. I've got emery boards, I'm gonna try a quick sanding, and I've buried half their food for the day rather than putting it in their bowl to see if being encouraged to dig will help keep it under control. Sound good?

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I don't about yours but I can't imagine being able to sand their nails. They are pretty horrified by my presence and either run like hell or huddle in an alcove whenever they hear me. It makes me sad but all the noise and disruption I cause is to give them happier lives in the long run.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

I don't about yours but I can't imagine being able to sand their nails. They are pretty horrified by my presence and either run like hell or huddle in an alcove whenever they hear me. It makes me sad but all the noise and disruption I cause is to give them happier lives in the long run.

I've managed to hold them and clip their nails, but it's such a long, squirmy process, I think a quick once-over with the emery board should do the trick.

I dunno where you've got the cage, but if you put it in a high traffic area at like, eye level, they'll get used to human presence. My set-up is on the friggin coffee table right now. The girls pretty much wanna hang out with each other and ward off all humans. When I open their cage in the morning for food, they wake up in attack mode and it takes a minute for them to calm the gently caress down. So, I can put them in a little pen and let them run around, and eventually they will climb on me and be cool, but they will not simply sit still to be picked up, and if I'm in their cage, they are eating my flesh. Such are hamsters.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Glasgow posted:

I've managed to hold them and clip their nails, but it's such a long, squirmy process, I think a quick once-over with the emery board should do the trick.

I dunno where you've got the cage, but if you put it in a high traffic area at like, eye level, they'll get used to human presence. My set-up is on the friggin coffee table right now. The girls pretty much wanna hang out with each other and ward off all humans. When I open their cage in the morning for food, they wake up in attack mode and it takes a minute for them to calm the gently caress down. So, I can put them in a little pen and let them run around, and eventually they will climb on me and be cool, but they will not simply sit still to be picked up, and if I'm in their cage, they are eating my flesh. Such are hamsters.

Haha! That's why I got chinchillas! I mean, yeah I have cats and a dog but nothing is cuter than rodents. My hamster is pretty much as cuddly and interesting as a fish. But my chins love attention and get to jump all over me when they're out of the cage.

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
Well, I finally removed the divider. It's day one and they are squabbling quite a lot more than I'd like. I've been keeping a close watch for any injuries and haven't seen any blood so hopefully they're not fighting to the death. It's hard to watch though and I feel bad for the more submissive hamster.

The cage itself spans two shelves with tubes and multiple rooms. I've got two running wheels, several food locations, two water bottles. Basically I tried to do everything I could to insure there was no fighting over anything. But, the first day together hasn't been exactly friendly.

Any chance they'll learn to live together? I'm willing to separate them but it's not ideal at all and I'll be disappointed if I have to.

Basically, whenever they encounter each other there will be a fight with squeaking, rolling around on each other, and wrestling. Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? Is this to be expected during the first few days or am I just asking for a wounded hamster by not intervening right away?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Guinea pig lovers have likely already seen this since it's almost a year old on Youtube but I just found it and had to share :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4RqB-HjkdI
(Pit bull and guinea pig bffs)

Tater_tot
Dec 22, 2007

Any chance they'll learn to live together? I'm willing to separate them but it's not ideal at all and I'll be disappointed if I have to.

Hey Turtle,

My wife have kept two different sets of robos over the last few years. One pair consisted of two unrelated males which we attempted to introduce to one another using a similar technique to yours: we divided a large cage with mesh and let them live that way for over a month. After a while they would hang out next to the mesh and even fall asleep close to one another, but separated by the mesh. Once we saw this going on for a while we decided to see if they'd get along in a cage together. We set up a neutral temporary cage for them and put them in.... they made a bee line for one another and immediately attempted to murder each other. My wife had to pry them apart and we never tried to keep them in the same cage again.

We also had a set of sisters which we adopted as a pair and housed together for a few months. However after a while one of the sisters began harassing the other and eventually we had to separate them when the least dominant one started to loose weight and showed signs of injury (gash on her butt).

I know robos are social hamsters, but it doesn't always work out that way in practice. Even when you give them large cages with multiple wheels, food dishes, water, etc. there's still a chance that they won't get along. I know it sucks, but the best thing to do when that happens is to house them separately. A few squabbles isn't a big deal, but if one clearly starts stressing the other out or injures it, its time to move them.

In the end we ended up with four separate cages to house all our little robos so if you do try to keep a pair (or two) make sure that you're ready for the possibility of having to have multiple cages.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
So I got home tonight and my guinea pigs greeted me with the usual wheeking. One of the two I have is starting to worry me. Last night I noticed he's been peeing a lot more than is normal, or atleast so far that I've noticed after having them for a year and a half. Next is tonight when I got home and they were wheeking at me, he sounded raspy, like he has a cold.

I'm actually scared shitless. They've been in fine health up until now, and maybe I'm overreacting but I can't stand the thought that he's possibly sick. I'm already planning a trip to the vet right now.

Does this sound like something I should be freaking out over?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I don't think you should be freaking out, but you should be concerned. Freaking out would be when they are acting listless, not eating and there's no sign of them passing urine/stools.

How do you know he has been urinating more if he is living with another pig? The only way you can know for sure is to isolate the potentially ill pig so that you can measure all their input and output.

A 'raspy' voice could potentially be nothing. Do you weigh your pigs weekly? Whats his weight like, is it up or down? If there's been no change then I wouldn't be in freak out mode yet. There are a lot of serious illnesses that can hit pigs, but if he is still eating and drinking you're not at a point that you need to be rushing to the e-vet.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Some pigs naturally have or develop a raspy voice (I had one girl I affectionately referred to as my "broken wheeker" pig) but any major changes are worth looking into. Sirotan nailed it - how's his weight? That's the most important thing you can watch for piggy health. Other things to look out for would be listlessness, a tendency to sit hunched up and not move, a lack of appetite, and squeaking or grunting while he's doing his business. Those can all indicate bad things, but your first warning sign is almost always going to be weight loss.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Thanks, I guess I'll pick up a scale as well to start measuring.

So far it's just the wetness under/around his pigloo in the bedding which makes me wonder. It could be he's just not leaving his pigloo to do his thing as much as the other pig, who wanders around the pen more.

He doesn't have any other symptoms that you guys mention, so hopefully it's just minor or really just his voice being weird. He doesn't act any differently as far as I can tell.

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004

Tater_tot posted:

make sure that you're ready for the possibility of having to have multiple cages.

Thanks for your advice, Tater. They seem to be getting along better now. The two of them sleep together most of the time and I haven't heard any fights. I won't hesitate to separate them if things get ugly.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem
Remember some fights are ok, even if they're squeaking at each other, as long as there is no blood drawn. Mine got on fine and there were no injuries but they went through a few periods of nightly squeaking, just dominance squabbles.

miss.kitty.jane
Oct 25, 2006
ain't no use in turning on the light, babe
I need some mouse help and haven't been able to make it through the entire thread, hopefully is hasn't been mentioned much.

My 2 year old mouse has a large lump under her left arm, almost all the way down to her paw. She's still running in the wheel, eating, drinking and pottying normally and seems to still be in great health. She does walk a little bit funny but it hasn't stopped her from doing her normal stuff.

I'm planning to take her to the vet on Monday to have it checked in case it's just an abscess, but if it is a tumor, has anyone had experience treating this in a mouse? I know she won't be put under anesthesia because of her age, so removing it is probably not an option, but I've heard there are drugs that can help extend their life in case of cancer. I just want to know what has happened to other people's pets as I don't know what to expect.

;tldr Anyone treat/not treat a mouse with tumor? How long did they live with/without treatment?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Howard just turned 1 this week.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Too freaking cute! Happy birthday Howard! :) What's that cake made of?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Round slices of raspberry newtons iced with strawberry yogurt.

Followup with Howard tongue action:

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

So cute!

Did he try to put the whole thing in his pouch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Nope, he was too busy trying to eat it to try to pouch it. We didn't let him pouch it and finish it later because it'd be an awful lot of sugar.

Here is his brother Simon eating something healthier: