Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

TheBoogeyMan posted:

A few years ago I used a program that was used to help you remember things. It be like flash cards, and you would rate on a scale of 1-5 how well you remembered it. Using this information, it would then present the flash card to you on a later date, if you rated it a 1 you would see it soon, if you rated it a 5 you would see it in a week+. What is the name of this program?

Edit: Found. FullRecall is a propriety version, Anki is a free one.

Well I guess if you forgot about it then it doesn't work too well??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

Are there any specific retail websites that are good for buying foreign language, specifically French, language books? I don't mean books on how to learn a language, but a site that sells things like Harry Potter or Game of Thrones in French as well as just general books that may exist only in French.

Amazon US usually doesn't have much, and when it does its usually way overpriced. You can't of course just order from other country's Amazon sites. Places like abebooks are ok, but selection is spotty and some times its a crapshoot on price.

Have you tried ordering from Amazon.fr? I've never had any problem doing that.

Also fnac.com, or Amazon.ca.

Either way, you're going to have to pay for shipping, and that's going to be expensive. I have ordered books from Amazon.fr and they tend to cost just as much with shipping as the same book on Amazon.com with free shipping.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

TheBoogeyMan posted:

A few years ago I used a program that was used to help you remember things. It be like flash cards, and you would rate on a scale of 1-5 how well you remembered it. Using this information, it would then present the flash card to you on a later date, if you rated it a 1 you would see it soon, if you rated it a 5 you would see it in a week+. What is the name of this program?

Also http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Florida Betty posted:

Have you tried ordering from Amazon.fr? I've never had any problem doing that.

Also fnac.com, or Amazon.ca.

Either way, you're going to have to pay for shipping, and that's going to be expensive. I have ordered books from Amazon.fr and they tend to cost just as much with shipping as the same book on Amazon.com with free shipping.

Unless they recently changed policies it would boot me to amazon.com when I have tried that in the past. I'll try again though, and if they actually let orders go through this time I'll check prices. Still though, if its that high with the shipping it would be nice to know if there are any US based alternatives.

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

Moscow Mule posted:

Also http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/

Yes! This was the one I was looking for. Thanks!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

TheBoogeyMan posted:

Also the Anki guy has made an iPhone version (costs money but he hosts your media files for it to download.)

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Of the Wikileaks releases, has there ever been any unbiased opinion on whether or not any of it is potentially harmful to those in the field? I've seen both sides make opposing claims but I've not got the time/effort to read over each and every one myself to see what it contains.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Daemus posted:

Awesome, thanks! Integration makes sense. I've just never been very good at it so it never jumps out as an option when I'm thinking about these things. I really should have majored in math, because some of these things are fascinating.

A little bit off track, but if you're interested in some of the more fascinating stuff in math, I'd suggest you check out this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364727

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

Idran posted:

A little bit off track, but if you're interested in some of the more fascinating stuff in math, I'd suggest you check out this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364727

Okay, yeah, that sounds awesome. Thread bookmarked, thanks a bunch!

EDIT:
Ooh, and straight off they talk about something related to my ramblings:

quote:

The Banach–Tarski paradox is a theorem in set theoretic geometry which states that a solid ball in 3-dimensional space can be split into a finite number of non-overlapping pieces, which can then be put back together in a different way to yield two identical copies of the original ball... is often stated colloquially as "a pea can be chopped up and reassembled into the Sun".

There's also a lot of *very* advanced math that I can't really comprehend, but there's enough "simple" stuff that I can keep reading and find out about neat things :)

Daemus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 12, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
DropBox is awesome apparently. Anyone want to share their workflow using DropBox with me?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Free LogMeIn.com and dropbox helps me work from home and get files from home when I'm at work. Not sure what you're asking. Dropbox is free anyway, so what's the risk?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
What is a really good book that goes through doing linear algebra proofs and explaining them?

Just about every Lin.Alg. book I find either says "Prove This" with no explanation or doesn't even cover proofs at all. It's sort of frustrating when I'm not sure if I'm actually solving in the way that makes sense.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

Free LogMeIn.com and dropbox helps me work from home and get files from home when I'm at work. Not sure what you're asking. Dropbox is free anyway, so what's the risk?

There are always clever ways of using new tools. People talk about DropBox as if it is a new sort of tool, so I'd like people who use it in clever ways to make me clever too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kapalama posted:

There are always clever ways of using new tools. People talk about DropBox as if it is a new sort of tool, so I'd like people who use it in clever ways to make me clever too.

I use Skype for work. I have several machines that I work on. I've set Skype up so that it logs chats in a path inside my Dropbox folder. The result is that I have a single unified chat history that I can expect on any machine when I use it. I think this would work for any chat program that logs chats to disk.

I dunno that the idea is that new, but it's certainly a great implementation that encourages using it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

kapalama posted:

Another thing is to set up a folder within dropbox that uTorrent automatically loads torrents from. You can upload torrents to this folder from anywhere and your home computer will automatically start downloads.

Dropbox also tracks versions and deletions (free version for a limited amount of time). You can kind of cheat the system if you have to by uploading and deleting files. I have 3.5 gbs free now, so I don't need to anymore, but I had to twice when I started out to transfer a database from home to work (zipped it into two files) at home before I had logmein, uploaded and deleted one, uploaded the other. Downloaded the second at work, deleted it, restored and downloaded the first).

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 19, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Why are file cabinets so expensive?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

Are you talking about the metal ones everyone has at the office?
They're sort of a niche product, and the manufacturing work to make all those nice precise folds and creases in the metal isn't cheap.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
How much can I expect to get for trade in value from gamestop for my 360 with composite only out (no hdmi) and a 20 gig hard drive? I know I'd get a better price selling on craigslist/sa mart but Im too busy to deal with paring out all my 360 stuff and shipping hints all over the place. Plus gamestop seems to have competitive pricing for the ps3 which I'm thinking of picking up. Anybody have an idea?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

nesbit37 posted:

Are there any specific retail websites that are good for buying foreign language, specifically French, language books? I don't mean books on how to learn a language, but a site that sells things like Harry Potter or Game of Thrones in French as well as just general books that may exist only in French.

Amazon US usually doesn't have much, and when it does its usually way overpriced. You can't of course just order from other country's Amazon sites. Places like abebooks are ok, but selection is spotty and some times its a crapshoot on price.

There's also Chapters/Indigo, which is Canadian: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/?__lang=fr-CA&LangType=3084

Shipping rates (in English): http://help.indigo.ca/app/answers/detail/a_id/28/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pikey posted:

How much can I expect to get for trade in value from gamestop for my 360 with composite only out (no hdmi) and a 20 gig hard drive? I know I'd get a better price selling on craigslist/sa mart but Im too busy to deal with paring out all my 360 stuff and shipping hints all over the place. Plus gamestop seems to have competitive pricing for the ps3 which I'm thinking of picking up. Anybody have an idea?

Should be like $50-$55. A Wii's worth $48 in Gamestop trade in value.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I use Skype for work. I have several machines that I work on. I've set Skype up so that it logs chats in a path inside my Dropbox folder. The result is that I have a single unified chat history that I can expect on any machine when I use it. I think this would work for any chat program that logs chats to disk.

I dunno that the idea is that new, but it's certainly a great implementation that encourages using it.

The Aphasian posted:

Another thing is to set up a folder within dropbox that uTorrent automatically loads torrents from. You can upload torrents to this folder from anywhere and your home computer will automatically start downloads.

Dropbox also tracks versions and deletions (free version for a limited amount of time). You can kind of cheat the system if you have to by uploading and deleting files. I have 3.5 gbs free now, so I don't need to anymore, but I had to twice when I started out to transfer a database from home to work (zipped it into two files) at home before I had logmein, uploaded and deleted one, uploaded the other. Downloaded the second at work, deleted it, restored and downloaded the first).

DVD Drive posted:

Set all your save game paths to your DropBox. Now not only are they automatically backed up but you can play the same world of Minecraft between your PC and your laptop.

Store your KeePass database in your DropBox.

If you find yourself Googling for a bunch of small apps whenever you have to do something on someone else's computer (WinRAR, uTorrent, VLC, Firefox, etc), put their installation files all in your DropBox and you can download them from your DropBox account's web interface. Useful after a format as well.

Thanks for these excellent suggestions! I never would have thought about the torrent thing and the chat log thing, especially, and I still was using a USB key to carry around programs. (Quoting them for me to refer to)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

I have usually managed to find them at Goodwill or Salvation army for cheap enough, though sometimes you have to buy the whole government desk to get them.

As to why they are expensive in the first place, I have dealt with cheap ones, and given the fact that they are for long term storage of important documents, and paper is wickedly heavy, consumers have kind of given up on cheap ones because they simply do not last.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 19, 2011

b2n
Dec 29, 2005
Would someone please be so kind and explain NHL play by play files to me?
I promise I'll have some cool statistics to show up for it later.
I'm talking about play by play files like http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20072008/PL020003.HTM
What would I have to look for to see if the puck changed teams?
"X won off/def/neutral zone" is something like a jump ball in basketball I think?
Is a "take" (in the event column) like a steal in basketball?
Do all kind of stops result in those "jump balls"?
What's a block/hit/miss/give?

Thank you

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Fists Up posted:

During Ramadan how would a person fast if they were living in a place with 24 hour sunlight? Or if they were on a plane and they left in the morning and arrived somewhere in the morning?

Would they go off the sunrise/sunset of a holy site or something and follow that?

I was really curious, so I looked into it more. The world's northernmost mosque, Alnor Senter in Tromsø, Norway, recommends following a fatwa given by Saudi Abdullah Bin Abdul-Aziz Almosleh, which says:

quote:

Some said: It can be estimated equally by making the night twelve hours and the day twelve hours because this is the case in the normal time in the normal place.

Others said: It can be estimated according to their duration in Mecca and Madina because these are the places where the WAHY (The angel Jibril) was revealed. So the day and night can be estimated as it is known there (in Mecca and Madina) if there was no known day and night special for that country.

Others said: It can be estimated according to the closest place where there is a consequence of a day and a night within twenty four hours.

What I see is that Muslims in these countries should select among these opinions what suits their conditions because every opinion has its own evidence, reasoning, and clue. And you who live in those countries know the option which fits you and enables you to perform fasting in a way it becomes easier for Muslims there, and there is nothing against you as long as you follow one of the opinions used and well known by the people of knowledge (scholars) and Allah knows best and from Him we ask guidance and upon Him we depend.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I left a thing of mayonnaise sitting out for 16 hours. I put it back in the fridge. Is it safe to eat?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

back2newbelf posted:

I haven't seen those specifically, but I know hockey well enough to give you a start.

STOP is almost anytime the ref blows the whistle and stops the play - this can happen for a whole host of reasons, including offsides, shots on goal that are held by the goalie, shots/passes that go off the ice and into the stands, and maybe a couple others.

FAC is faceoff - the ref drops the puck between two players, one from each team. They try to grab it with their sticks. A faceoff will occur after all STOP events, as well as other events that stop the play, such as GOALs and PENLs (goals and penalties). There are 9 (I think...) different locations on the ice that a faceoff can occur - center ice, around both blue lines on both sides, and at the 2 dots in each team's zone. The neutral zone is the area between the two blue lines.

BLOCK looks like it refers to someone taking a shot at the goal, but it being blocked by someone other than the goalie on they way there.
BLOCK CAR #11 WILLIAMS BLOCKED BY MTL #6 KOSTOPOULOS, Slap, Def. Zone
Looks like that means #11 took a slap shot in the Defender's Zone, and it was blocked by #6.

SHOT seems to be a (unsuccessful) shot on goal - but one that is blocked by the goalie.

MISS is a shot on goal that misses - too high or whatever.

HIT looks like when a player literally body checks another player.

To see if the puck changes hands...hm. I suppose most of the events designate possession in some way, but not really all of them. The winning of the faceoff, all the shots/blocks, etc. should give you a pretty good idea - but also remember, hockey isn't always as clear possession wise as basketball, for example. The puck is often back and forth, or just floating down the ice.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

back2newbelf posted:

I promise I'll have some cool statistics to show up for it later.
I'm talking about play by play files like http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20072008/PL020003.HTM

The hockey threads are very active, you should probably ask there:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393440

I had a look at the pbp and it looks like you may not be able to accurately track puck possession. For example:

CAR wins the FACeoff and has possession. Seven seconds later there is a HIT. Five seconds later MTL player BOUILLON takes a shot. At some point CAR lost the puck to MTL, but it doesn't show up in the pbp.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Trapick posted:

SHOT seems to be a (unsuccessful) shot on goal - but one that is blocked by the goalie.

Everything else is well done. Just as a minor point: a shot is any shot taken that would go in the goal were it not for the goalie's stopping it, OR any shot that actually goes in the goal.

So shots always equals Goalies saves + Goals. It's a judgment call by the official scorer as to whether a given stop by the goalie counts as an official 'shot', but all goals necessarily count as a shot.

If the unofficial shot is stopped by a player other than the goalie, it is not an officially scored 'shot'. So blocked shots do not count as official 'shots'.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

kapalama posted:

Everything else is well done. Just as a minor point: a shot is any shot taken that would go in the goal were it not for the goalie's stopping it, OR any shot that actually goes in the goal.
Ah, neat, thanks. My bad.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

orange lime posted:

I left a thing of mayonnaise sitting out for 16 hours. I put it back in the fridge. Is it safe to eat?

Yes. Mayo doesn't need to be refrigerated, it just tastes better that way. Though I guess if you left the top off too that might make a difference.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Florida Betty posted:

I was really curious, so I looked into it more. The world's northernmost mosque, Alnor Senter in Tromsø, Norway, recommends following a fatwa given by Saudi Abdullah Bin Abdul-Aziz Almosleh, which says:

Thanks for that. I figured it would be a rational answer like that. As long as you do it in good faith everything is fine.

Mikeo
May 17, 2009

I have a small question. English is not my native language and I have encountered a phrase I don't really understand. Here are two examples out of a book I am reading at the moment:

"...he could have actually predicted the expansion of the universe. Why, he'd have been famous!"

"We claim territory for ourselves, and ignore what goes on outside those borders. Why, we've even said the whole universe revolves around us!"

I don't get what the "why" stands for in these sentences.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Mikeo posted:

I have a small question. English is not my native language and I have encountered a phrase I don't really understand. Here are two examples out of a book I am reading at the moment:

"...he could have actually predicted the expansion of the universe. Why, he'd have been famous!"

"We claim territory for ourselves, and ignore what goes on outside those borders. Why, we've even said the whole universe revolves around us!"

In that case it's being used in the same way you might say "in fact, ..." It's something you might say if you just realized an additional facet of your statement and wanted to add it on at the end. No one really talks like that any more though.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Mikeo posted:

It's being used as an interjection. Like "Wow!", but milder. It's and older expression and not really used like that anymore. Generally, to me, it sounds like someone who's trying to sound formal or intellectual, or British upper class from 100 years ago.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Question about copyright. Do I need to get permission to copy a picture off the internet to my hard drive? I was browsing a friends portfolio and left a comment (joking) that this would be a cool background and she got fussy at me.

Also why cant police officers use the PIT maneuver more often? There are many chases here in California and it seems like they go on and on and the officers need some kind of special permission to use the PIT. I was watching COPS and the police used it on a guy pretty quick, I didn't hear him ask anyone for permission or anything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

b0nes posted:

Also why cant police officers use the PIT maneuver more often? There are many chases here in California and it seems like they go on and on and the officers need some kind of special permission to use the PIT. I was watching COPS and the police used it on a guy pretty quick, I didn't hear him ask anyone for permission or anything.
There's way too many risks that the PIT will go wrong and hurt the escaping car's driver or even other people on the road.
Following with cars and a chopper can take forever, but there's less risk and less potential damage to property/lives.

AFAIK, PIT is just an outmoded procedure now.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

The Aphasian posted:

Nice filing cabinets are made of thick pieces of good quality metal, have ball-bearings, and are generally precision-manufactured so they "glide" instead of "scrape." If you're looking for some inexpensive cabinets, you can find them used, as someone else pointed out at Goodwill, or you can look around for a specific "used office furniture" store. I managed to pick up a metal desk for about $20, where a similar model was $500 new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

b0nes posted:

Question about copyright. Do I need to get permission to copy a picture off the internet to my hard drive? I was browsing a friends portfolio and left a comment (joking) that this would be a cool background and she got fussy at me.
She might have taken that as "this would be a cool background for a Web site," which would justify her fussiness, as you should ask for permission from her if you plan to use it on your site. But simply saving a picture to your hard drive? Who'd know? Of course, if the site her portfolio is on has disabled the right-click menu, you're out of luck.