Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Opera Bitch posted:

I have a quick question for anyone who knows a bit about plumbing, though I don't know if anyone can provide me with more information than I already have. I own a condo that I am renting out and my tenant called to let me know that some sewage had backed up into her tub. I called a plumber to take care of the issue and after finishing up he told me that after snaking the line through the toilet he found baby wipes, feminine hygiene products, and a washcloth in the drain. When I asked if he thought the tenants had flushed those things he said couldn't give me a definitive yes or no because he couldn't find any access drains outside and had no idea how our pipes connected to those of our neighbors.

Our condo is on the first floor, and the front half is partially underground, while the back half is level with the outside. Above the unit are two upstairs units that meet in the middle of our condo. I know the lady on the upper left has a small child so the cloth and baby wipes may have come from there, but then again our unit's toilet is on the right side. With all the rain and snow melting here in New England the drains are pretty full, however, my husband and I lived there for four years and experienced heavy rain but never had any such issues.

Unfortunately I don't know if anyone else in the condo has experienced this issue so I'm now left wondering if was something caused by our tenants, or an issue with the city or common pipes. I mainly need to know this to determine whether we need to get reimbursed for this from the condo since the pipes are their responsibility, but if our tenants did the damage we will have to bite the cost we paid to have it fixed.

Edit: I told our tenants to make sure they aren't flushing anything like that down the drain. This is their first time living away from their parents so I wonder if they may not have known any better. Hopefully the issue doesn't pop up again if in fact they were responsible for the damage this time.

Ask the plumber how far he found the baby wipes and tampons in the toilet line. It may help determine whos at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phooney
Dec 24, 2008
My mission to renovate a room marches ever forward. It has been a great learning experience, as this is the first house I've owned, and I've never really done any kind of DIY before. Thanks to those who have helped so far!

I have: Stripped wallpaper, put up new plasterboard, moved a light switch, patched up former light switch hole, Removed sliding doors and rails from 2 rooms, converted the rails to mount back to back in order to become the rails for the same doors but now in sliding wardrobe configuration, increased the size of the wardrobe doorway to accomodate sliding doors, knocked a small wall out to make 2 wardrobes into 1 bigger wardrobe for this room (other room will have new wardrobe built, and skim coated over the stripped plasterboard.

Also had a new ranchslider put in by professionals, that was out of my league.

So... should I have painted on some kind of sealer paint before skim coating? Because if so, I haven't :(. If I have to replace all the plasterboard in that room now, then my next step will be to look up how to tie a noose. I am hoping I can move on to painting the room now, will I still need some kind of different paint other than a couple of coats of the colour I want it to end up?

When the builders were putting in the ranchslider they noted that the floor has a slight bow in it. They recommended floor level compound. Honestly, I'd never noticed the issue before and I'm hoping that with new carpet padding it out, it won't matter. Am I shooting myself in the foot by being cheap here?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
A day full of power outages has left my LG window air conditioner in a condition of powering on but nothing happening (only lights show, the fan does not work, the compressor does not start).

I only need this AC for a few more weeks. Is there some internal breaker that I can reset to make it go?

EDIT: In desperation, I beat on the LCD panel and it started up. (??)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 7, 2011

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Phooney posted:

So... should I have painted on some kind of sealer paint before skim coating? Because if so, I haven't :(. If I have to replace all the plasterboard in that room now, then my next step will be to look up how to tie a noose. I am hoping I can move on to painting the room now, will I still need some kind of different paint other than a couple of coats of the colour I want it to end up?

A couple of coats of a decently covering paint will do just fine. I usually save the sealer for when I paint on concrete or bricks.

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone know where I can get battery ends? I'm looking for 2 wire quick connects, that look like this:

but something I can slide over the wires I have, and crimp them on.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

scanlonman posted:

Does anyone know where I can get battery ends? I'm looking for 2 wire quick connects, that look like this:

but something I can slide over the wires I have, and crimp them on.

Isn't that exactly what those are?

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich

eddiewalker posted:

Isn't that exactly what those are?

Pretty much, but I don't have much room in the battery pack I want to install them in. I want to be able to crimp them directly into the ends, not in the middle of a wire.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

scanlonman posted:

Pretty much, but I don't have much room in the battery pack I want to install them in. I want to be able to crimp them directly into the ends, not in the middle of a wire.

If the ends are tinned leads crimping will not hold IME. Crimping works well on stranded wire. Soldering is the best bet for anything else.

(YMMV)

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I have a question about fixing the drainage in my backyard. Every year when it starts to rain heavier (seattle) my backyard and side yard become a swamp. In about a month I will be building a fence and figured I better fix it now, before a fence goes up. I was thinking of digging a small trench near the rock wall, like 12"w x 12"d and putting in some of that black pipe they use and some pea gravel, and try to slope the ground towards it. Then tried to lead it around the south side and down my front yard. Then re-sod. The blue is where it gets swamped, and the black shows general slope.

Any thoughts? Is there an easier way? Would it be easier to just dig deeper( call first before digging)and let it drain in place farther down? I have no idea

Thanks

Edit: fixed images

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 9, 2011

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I have a question about fixing the drainage in my backyard.

Sounds like you have essentially the right idea for fixing your drainage issue. The solution you're describing is basically a "French drain." You run your perforated drain pipe surrounded by #57 gravel and encased in a long sock(designed for French drains) or another permeable fabric. French drains are the solution for a yard that simply won't drain and stays soggy. The only potential downfall is if you cannot slope your drain pipe from the back to the front. Obviously since water wants to run downhill you must have the open drainage end at the lowest point of the run.

By "digging deeper" I imagine you mean having a gravel filled "leach pit" to allow water to collect underground and then naturally drain out. This option could possibly work(though I wouldn't recommend it) given the correct soil composition in an area other than Seattle. I imagine it simply rains to much to make this an option.

dinozaur fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 9, 2011

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Good to know I'm not too far off. What would you recommend on the north side where the grass abuts my front porch and drive way? Should I just have a smaller pipe on that side and have it slightly exposed and terminate and my driveway and spill over it? I'm ok with that, I just want to make sure its ok to do.

Edit: NM, I understand what you mean with the sock.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 9, 2011

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK
You would want to install a "drain bubbler" on the end of your pipe. Google is failing me for finding a picture, but it connects to the end of your 4" pipe with a 90' elbow that turns upwards and terminates with a spring loaded cap that sits at ground level. When the water pressure in your pipe pushes against the spring it flows out then returns back to ground level. This makes it easy to mow over and largely invisible. Any big box hardware store should have them near the downspout supplies.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Awesome! Thank you

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Dinozaur has exactly the right idea. It might be a regional thing, but what he calls a "french drain" is what I know of as "drain tile". One thing we both have in common is that we can't remember the name of the bubbler part, but I know exactly what he is talking about. Here is a picture:

http://www.wolfscape.net/images/LC_F_1.jpg

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK
Actually I would call that pictured product a "catch basin" and use it to get surface water into the drainage system. The "drain bubbler" I referred to is actually called a "popup drain emitter" and is very similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VL8C0I/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=hi&psc=1

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Electrical question. I need to install a new light fixture and am not sure about wiring for the extra (ground) wire. The first image is the ceiling with the two electrical wires. Ignore the yellow cap, that is coming off. The previous owner had a remote switch wired in that will be removed.

The second image is obviously the new fixture that has three electrical wires. The bare one I'm assuming is ground but without a ground wire in my ceiling housing where should I wire/connect that to?

Also not shown is a metal crossbar that attaches the fixture to the ceiling.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If your house is as old as the wiring looks, it's probably old BX wiring and any grounding will be through the armored conduit. You would run the ground wire to a grounding screw on the electrical box the light fixture is mounted to.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
It is old tarcloth/paper wire. No ground in that jacket. You can hook the ground up or just wrap it up neatly and stuff it out of the way, making sure that it is positioned so it cannot poke into the wirenuts for your hot and neutral leads. Don't just cut it off. White to white, black to black. Make drat well sure that you lead the stranded wire a bit above the solid when you wirenut everything up. Helps make a strong connection that won't pull out. Refer to the pic.

I was taught to make the stripped portion of the stranded wire about 25% longer than the solid, and when wirenutting, line up the wires so that the end of the stranded goes up into the very peak of the wirenut and gets mashed there by the solid when you tighten everything down. Hold the wirenut in one hand and give the stranded wire a small but firm tug to make sure that it is locked in before you close everything up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iForge fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 11, 2011

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What is the best way to remove stickers from an electric guitar without stripping any paint/eroding the plastic?

Flay Minion
Sep 23, 2004

hepme

Bigass Moth posted:

What is the best way to remove stickers from an electric guitar without stripping any paint/eroding the plastic?

I use a hair dryer to heat the sticker and remove it. Then use WD-40 to get up the remaining residue. Spray the WD-40 on a rag and test an inconspicuous place on the guitar first to make sure it won't damage the finish. I've heard peanut butter works for gettting off residue but I've never tried it.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Flay Minion posted:

I use a hair dryer to heat the sticker and remove it. Then use WD-40 to get up the remaining residue. Spray the WD-40 on a rag and test an inconspicuous place on the guitar first to make sure it won't damage the plastic. I've heard peanut butter works for gettting off residue but I've never tried it.

I just peel off the sticker. Then use car wax to buff off the good. It takes awhile but won't hurt it at all.

Flay Minion
Sep 23, 2004

hepme

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

I just peel off the sticker. Then use car wax to buff off the good. It takes awhile but won't hurt it at all.

Yeah, I've not much experience with electrics as I restore mostly acoustics. I imagine the finishes are tougher on those bodies -- sad experience relates that if you just peel an old sticker off an acoustic it'll take the finish right off :( so now I'm extra careful and go with the heat solution.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Flay Minion posted:

Yeah, I've not much experience with electrics as I restore mostly acoustics. I imagine the finishes are tougher on those bodies -- sad experience relates that if you just peel an old sticker off an acoustic it'll take the finish right off :( so now I'm extra careful and go with the heat solution.

I actually didnt do it on a guitar but it was on my motorcycle. I figured the paint would be similar. But I could see a varnish on an acoustic being more difficult.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Smear it with rapeseed/olive oil and leave it overnight. Scrape it off with a fingernail in the morning.

Flay Minion
Sep 23, 2004

hepme

Crowley posted:

Smear it with rapeseed/olive oil and leave it overnight. Scrape it off with a fingernail in the morning.

This method definitely works well with the paper-based stickers (though I used a popsicle stick whittled down to make a wedge to scrape); however, I've had no luck using it with the newer, vinyl based stickers. Did you just use the oil straight out of the bottle? Did you have to peel a bit of the sticker off to get the oil to penetrate?

e: the reason I ask is a luthier friend swears by the technique of nuking the oil to get it really hot and applying it with an eye dropper. I've never been able to get it to work as well as the dryer.

Flay Minion fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 11, 2011

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I pour a bit of rapeseed oil in a cup and use my finger as a brush. If it's not a paper-sticker I peel the top layer off first, smear the leftovers in oil and leave it until next day.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I bought a cube storage unit like this:

that I would like to hang on the wall. Would a french cleat be an appropriate way to do this? How much weight could something like that support?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

stubblyhead posted:

I bought a cube storage unit like this:

that I would like to hang on the wall. Would a french cleat be an appropriate way to do this? How much weight could something like that support?

Just nail a pair of picture hanger brackets to either side of the top edge on the back and hang it like a picture. Of course, that won't lie flat against the wall. The only way to have it lay flat would be to cut keyhole slots with a router and a special keyhole bit, and if that's even possible depends on what this thing is made out of, if the boards are thick enough, etc.

How much weight it could support depends again on what it's made of.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

kid sinister posted:

Just nail a pair of picture hanger brackets to either side of the top edge on the back and hang it like a picture. Of course, that won't lie flat against the wall. The only way to have it lay flat would be to cut keyhole slots with a router and a special keyhole bit, and if that's even possible depends on what this thing is made out of, if the boards are thick enough, etc.

How much weight it could support depends again on what it's made of.

If you support it properly. It will support the same weight on the wall as it would on the ground. Because it's sheer strength on the wail.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
Except maybe the bottom shelf. It could just be held in place with a couple brad nails and that's it.

JoeWindetc
Jan 14, 2007
JoeWindetc

JoeWindetc posted:

Alrighty, looking for advice on the next step of our little problem here. We have a front-loading, stacked, washer/dryer(Frigidaire). Dryer works fine, but the washer leaves clothing soaked. After some Google, I went ahead and removed the kick plate, disconnected the hoses and checked them for blockage, along with the drain pump. (Is this all making sense to those more technically-inclined?) I reconnected everything and just tried a drain/spin cycle, still soaked. I then tried a rinse/spin cycle, still soaked. I can see the drum spinning in there, though it doesn't seem to be spinning that rapidly. Thoughts? TYIA

Still having this issue, wondering if anyone had any thoughts. It looks like the locking mechanism is working, but there's really no way of checking I guess. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas...

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

JoeWindetc posted:

Still having this issue, wondering if anyone had any thoughts. It looks like the locking mechanism is working, but there's really no way of checking I guess. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas...
I've had good luck using https://www.fixitnow.com to diagnose appliance problems, along with some lucky googling of the model name + problem. You should make sure the pump is functioning properly first off. After that I would get a wiring diagram and a multimeter out to figure out where the malfunction is.

http://fixitnow.com/appliance-repair-faqs/washing-machine-repair-faq/

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Flay Minion posted:

For what it's worth, I accidentally sprayed one of my electric guitars with what I thought was Windex, but turned out to be DIF wallpaper stripper. It didn't hurt the finish one bit and I bet it would work great for removing stickers.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Now that things are starting to grow in I'm just now noticing that my front lawn is complete poo poo, it's about 90% clover and 10% grass. I don't think this is a great time of year to be planting grass, but if I were to try are there any methods or kinds of grass that would be best?

Alternatively, is there a lawn and garden thread?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Probably not what you want to hear but clover is a great companion plant for grass. It fixes nitrogen into the soil which feeds the grass or other plants.
Id think this time of year would be perfect for seeding grass. Id recommend native grasses, your local extension program should have more information

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I just got a new house and the previous owner had painted the bathrooms and textured them also. It's almost like a popcorn ceiling but on the walls and painted.

What would be the easiest way to remove this? I was going to just go at it with a power sander, but if there is an easier / less messy way, I'd prefer that.

Any ideas?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
I had/have the same problem in my house (I hate texture)

The first attack is scraping. One of my rooms has what seems like foam sprayed at it and this scrapes off easily. The other rooms have something harder and it was painted over with gloss so scraping was impossible. I tried sanding with a random orbital and it works a little bit but it'll gum up pads and its a lot of work. I basically tried to level out all the pointy and high spots I could then painted over it in a flat white (light color flat paint helps hide texture a lot)
Another option is floating the whole wall with plaster or joint compound or the like. This requires skill and lots of effort and time but would produce good results

Do be aware that if the house is older than the late 70s, there could be lead paint and sanding should not be done and scraping should be done only carefully with a drop cloth collecting the chips

dwoloz fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 15, 2011

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

dwoloz posted:

Do be aware that if the house is older than the late 70s, there could be lead paint and sanding should not be done and scraping should be done only carefully with a drop cloth collecting the chips

poo poo. I don't know if the paint has ever been removed from there, so I'm not sure if there is lead or not. I'll probably try scraping (and collecting the bits) instead of sanding.

Hell I might just call someone to come out and get rid of it.

Stupid textures

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

jackpot posted:

Now that things are starting to grow in I'm just now noticing that my front lawn is complete poo poo, it's about 90% clover and 10% grass. I don't think this is a great time of year to be planting grass, but if I were to try are there any methods or kinds of grass that would be best?

Alternatively, is there a lawn and garden thread?

That depends on your climate and how much sun vs. shade your lawn gets, among other things.

You want to wait until spring before seeding grass. They need warmer temperatures to sprout. If you throw down seed now, there's a good chance of birds eating it and rain/show washing it away before it does get warm enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

kid sinister posted:

That depends on your climate and how much sun vs. shade your lawn gets, among other things.

You want to wait until spring before seeding grass. They need warmer temperatures to sprout. If you throw down seed now, there's a good chance of birds eating it and rain/show washing it away before it does get warm enough.
Thanks, I didn't know this; for some reason I thought the ideal time for planting was a couple months ago, I figured I'd screwed up and was too late for this year. I need to do some more research on this.

LTBS posted:

poo poo. I don't know if the paint has ever been removed from there, so I'm not sure if there is lead or not. I'll probably try scraping (and collecting the bits) instead of sanding.
The last time I read a bad story about lead paint dust, the family dog had died, their kid was sick and sprouting eyes on stalks, and they spent somewhere in the tens of thousands of dollars having professionals basically bubble off the house while they cleaned it up. Kidding about the eyes thing, but not the rest; it was a nightmare for them.

I don't know how accurate they are, but lead paint test kits start at about $13, I'd think about buying one, just to be sure.