Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

orange lime posted:

Is there a reliable site/source/system for unlocking HTC phones? I have a MT3G, rooted and running CM 5.08 (the last version that was fast for me, unfortunately), but I'm planning on heading to Europe for a while and it'd be nice to be able to use my phone. I could call up T-Mobile but their service has gone to poo poo recently and I figured I'd ask online first.

Any ideas?

Called T-Mobile, said "I want to unlock my phone" and they got my old MT3G unlocked for me within 3 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am running CM7 RC2 on my Inspire and Google Voice keeps force closing when I try to set up my phone. I am tired of PF+ an wanted to give Google a shot.

Has anyone experienced this?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
My OG Droid has been acting lovely lately so I'm thinking it's a good excuse to wipe the fucker and try a custom rom like CM7 or that new Gingerbread one that's floating around. I'm already rooted but my question is this: Just how much stuff does Titanium backup? I've got a LOT of apps in play and not all of them let you back up their settings to SD. Will Titanium back that sort of stuff up or will I have to reconfigure all those apps on my own?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I've got an Inspire 4G (Desire HD) that I rooted and put CM7 RC2 on yesterday. Whenever I turn wifi on and scan for APs, the phone crashes and goes into an unrecoverable reboot cycle, only way out is to boot into recovery and wipe. I've checked the CM forums and haven't seen anything about this, is it something with CM7, my phone, what?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Living Vicariously posted:

My OG Droid has been acting lovely lately so I'm thinking it's a good excuse to wipe the fucker and try a custom rom like CM7 or that new Gingerbread one that's floating around. I'm already rooted but my question is this: Just how much stuff does Titanium backup? I've got a LOT of apps in play and not all of them let you back up their settings to SD. Will Titanium back that sort of stuff up or will I have to reconfigure all those apps on my own?
Titanium will back up drat near everything. That said, if you really want to play it safe, make a nandroid backup of your current setup before flashing a new rom.

I have had the occasional issue with Titanium not being able to restore an app, but even in those instances it's never failed to restore the app data/settings after redownloading the app in question from the market.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

serewit posted:

I've got an Inspire 4G (Desire HD) that I rooted and put CM7 RC2 on yesterday. Whenever I turn wifi on and scan for APs, the phone crashes and goes into an unrecoverable reboot cycle, only way out is to boot into recovery and wipe. I've checked the CM forums and haven't seen anything about this, is it something with CM7, my phone, what?
Are you restoring system settings with Titanium? That could cause weirdness.

If not, try redownloading CM7, wiping everything (cache, dalvik, and the system, all separately), then trying again.

Did you wipe all that out the first time? This sounds like everything wasn't wiped.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

CM7's been acting super weird for me lately, lots of lockups and the browser acting all weird.

Using it as excuse to try out Warm Z. Been wondering about the New Sense and all that.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

LastInLine posted:

Are you restoring system settings with Titanium? That could cause weirdness.

If not, try redownloading CM7, wiping everything (cache, dalvik, and the system, all separately), then trying again.

Did you wipe all that out the first time? This sounds like everything wasn't wiped.

I started from absolute bare-bones stock. The only thing that was really weird to me was I had a hell of a time getting the root to go thru, and even once I did, SU kept force closing on me. I eventually just copied the CM7 image onto the SD card and booted into recovery, installing it that way.

I'll try wiping everything out and installing again.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
I want to get my Desire back to stock but still rooted. I dont want any tweaks or anything just stock with a2sd. as far as I can tell my best options are either installing this rom and running the a2sd script
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=773997

Or using the htc snyc to return it to unrooted stock and simply re-rooting it and running one of the a2sd apps from the market.

Can anyone suggest which would be the better option, I really like defrost but Im fed up with some apps that are force closing or not working properly.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
I just switched to CM7 and now every time I get a call or text it reads everything aloud. I've looked through options on the phone and Handcent and don't see anything about text-to-speech handling notifications. What am I missing?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Rooted EVO 4G

Does a nandroid backup essentially create an image of my phone? Will I keep all of my apps and settings this way? What does Titanium Backup do that nandroid doesn't?

I want to set up my work's exchange server on my phone and when I put the info it it tells me about the security requirements and that it could factory reset my phone. Since I would like to try this, and maybe also a couple other ROMs but I don't want to lose all of my current apps and settings.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Rooted EVO 4G

Does a nandroid backup essentially create an image of my phone? Will I keep all of my apps and settings this way? What does Titanium Backup do that nandroid doesn't?

I want to set up my work's exchange server on my phone and when I put the info it it tells me about the security requirements and that it could factory reset my phone. Since I would like to try this, and maybe also a couple other ROMs but I don't want to lose all of my current apps and settings.
Yes, nandroid basically does a complete image. It also means when you restore, you restore exactly that image.

Titanium Backup will backup apps and settings, but not every single file. Also, when restoring a Titanium Backup, if you're on a different ROM, restoring settings can mess things up, because different ROMs store things differently, and the backup may not match up properly.

In general: If you're about to try something that requires a full wipe, or you're worried might otherwise mess up your phone (such as installing a new ROM), do a nandroid. If you just want to keep a backup of all the apps you have installed so that you can quickly reinstall them if you do a full wipe (or install a new ROM), use Titanium Backup. The two are a pretty powerful combination when used together.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

brc64 posted:

Yes, nandroid basically does a complete image. It also means when you restore, you restore exactly that image.

Titanium Backup will backup apps and settings, but not every single file. Also, when restoring a Titanium Backup, if you're on a different ROM, restoring settings can mess things up, because different ROMs store things differently, and the backup may not match up properly.

In general: If you're about to try something that requires a full wipe, or you're worried might otherwise mess up your phone (such as installing a new ROM), do a nandroid. If you just want to keep a backup of all the apps you have installed so that you can quickly reinstall them if you do a full wipe (or install a new ROM), use Titanium Backup. The two are a pretty powerful combination when used together.

Perfect, thanks for the explanation!

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

two_beer_bishes posted:

Perfect, thanks for the explanation!

One thing to keep in mind is that while nandroid backs up the rom it does not backup the kernel. You probably don't have to worry about this unless your are overclocking or using a lagfix but it's something to remember.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ashex posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that while nandroid backs up the rom it does not backup the kernel. You probably don't have to worry about this unless your are overclocking or using a lagfix but it's something to remember.

That does not sound right at all. It's not unheard of for a ROM to include a kernel which may be incompatible with other ROMs available at the time, so if what you claim were true you would not be able to consider them reliable backups as you might not be able to revert if the ROM you installed brought a kernel which was incompatible with the backed up ROM.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the reason Nandroid is called that is because it dumps the NAND (internal flash) to a file, bit-for-bit. It has no idea what's installed on the phone. It's just a 1 for 1 copy of whatever your phone looked like right before you rebooted and made the backup.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LiquidRain posted:

I don't even know how to change that in Cyanogen mod, which has haptic feedback tweaks but not vibrate tweaks for all apps. On Cyanogen's SMS app there's an option for changing how the phone vibrates on a message (short, long, two shorts, two longs), but I'm not sure if Fresh would have that. Sorry.

Thanks. That's too bad, and really surprising. I feel like it would be an easy hack.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

wolrah posted:

That does not sound right at all. It's not unheard of for a ROM to include a kernel which may be incompatible with other ROMs available at the time, so if what you claim were true you would not be able to consider them reliable backups as you might not be able to revert if the ROM you installed brought a kernel which was incompatible with the backed up ROM.

Actually, now that I think of it it just depends on the device. When I wrote that post I was thinking of the Galaxy S phones where nandroid behaves differently then on HTC phones. On the Galaxy S it doesn't do a bit-for-bit copy as orange lime says nandroid can't backup kernels (I'm thinking of 2.5.1.2 Clockwork Recovery).

Edit: Grabbed a nandroid backup of a SGS phone to compare, on HTC devices nandroid backs up the boot sector as boot.img which contains the kernel. On SGS devices the boot sector is not backed up which is evidenced by the fact that boot.img is missing from the backup.

Additionally, ROMs use the redbend_ua utility to flash kernels which works across Android devices, backing them up is different for some reason.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 12, 2011

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So I've had a real itch to pick up an e-reader in the last couple months and I'm debating picking up a nook color, rooting it and using it as a tablet. Is anyone here doing that and if so can you still use stuff like google books for e-reading?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Just encountered a weird issue with CM7 RC2 - Last night, I decided I wanted to get a good nights sleep, so I turned on Airplane Mode to not be disturbed. When I woke up, I noticed that WiMax was on (and connected! ...too bad I'm not at home...haha), but I had no way to turn it back off...except for turning airplane mode off, then disabling WiMax.

Is there a way to fix this, or is it a known bug that'll be fixed in the next RC?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Ozmodiar posted:

Just encountered a weird issue with CM7 RC2 - Last night, I decided I wanted to get a good nights sleep, so I turned on Airplane Mode to not be disturbed. When I woke up, I noticed that WiMax was on (and connected! ...too bad I'm not at home...haha), but I had no way to turn it back off...except for turning airplane mode off, then disabling WiMax.

Is there a way to fix this, or is it a known bug that'll be fixed in the next RC?

That's odd. I've played around with airplane mode and it's never turned 4G when turning airplane mode off.

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004

Ozmodiar posted:

I had something similarly weird happen yesterday. I had a loaner car from a dealership, and I paired it with my phone so I could stream music, but I put it on airplane so I wouldn't get any calls. About 10 minutes later a call came through, and I had to cycle it out of and back in to airplane mode for it to seemingly stick. Later on I had another call come in when I was out of the car, and the dialer screen was blank with no buttons to answer, no caller ID, etc. I rebooted the phone and it's been fine since.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I was using the navigation on a new HTC Inspire with a cm7 nightly on it yesterday, and it consistently put our car maybe 100 meters back from where it actually was. This led to quite a few missed turns until I realized what it was doing. It was very frustrating!

I never had such a problem with the a Droid phone. Any ideas why it is doing this?

It also seems to take the Inspire at least a full minute or two before it will start navigating; it gets stuck on "searching for GPS".

Also also, probably not an issue at all, but I have noticed that under Settings/About Phone/Status it lists 'My phone number' as 'Unknown'. I actually have to refer to that once in a while! Why is it blank?

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Akileese posted:

So I've had a real itch to pick up an e-reader in the last couple months and I'm debating picking up a nook color, rooting it and using it as a tablet. Is anyone here doing that and if so can you still use stuff like google books for e-reading?

You can use the Nook software, the Kindle app, or Google Books. It's pretty fantastic to have all of them available.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Trying out the Liquid Metal rom on my G2, really cool stuff. I wouldn't call it useful at this point, but it is fun to play with, and it has some neat ideas, like the peel away lock screen and cool lock screen widgets. I'm still trying to make sense of the homescreen, which is really different than anything else I've tried so far.

G2 sure has a shitload of roms to play with if you ever get curious.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I was using the navigation on a new HTC Inspire with a cm7 nightly on it yesterday, and it consistently put our car maybe 100 meters back from where it actually was. This led to quite a few missed turns until I realized what it was doing. It was very frustrating!

I never had such a problem with the a Droid phone. Any ideas why it is doing this?

It also seems to take the Inspire at least a full minute or two before it will start navigating; it gets stuck on "searching for GPS".

Also also, probably not an issue at all, but I have noticed that under Settings/About Phone/Status it lists 'My phone number' as 'Unknown'. I actually have to refer to that once in a while! Why is it blank?

My gps just plain doesn't work well. Constantly dropping signal and not recognizing where my car is.

I haven't tried it yet but gps status is usually pretty good at fixing these issues.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

I'm running defrost on my desire and the camera keeps crashing and even if I kill the process and start it again all it shows when I load it is a black screen, once the camera has crashed It also seems to corrupt other apps and leave them with nothing but a black screen and the only way to fix it is to re-boot. Are there any know fixes for this, or is it possible my recovery image is somehow unstable and stuffing these things up? I've realised I cant go back to stock because I would not be able to pair my wiimote with the phone any more if I did because htc suck at bluetooth. Im thinking about going back to miui, how stable is the current release and is the gingerbread one out yet?

Solly fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 12, 2011

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Welp; Swype just died on my cognition 3.04 captivate. It says that my trial period has ended -- despite it coming FULL version WITH the phone. I should already OWN it but now its dead. Anyone deal with this before?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sniep posted:

Welp; Swype just died on my cognition 3.04 captivate. It says that my trial period has ended -- despite it coming FULL version WITH the phone. I should already OWN it but now its dead. Anyone deal with this before?

Swype came packaged with the stock ROM. Whatever is being shipped with the ROM you're using isn't tied to you. Just snag a beta copy (that's more up to date than carrier versions) from their site.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sniep posted:

Well, Cognition 4.1.1 is out now, http://www.ponack.net/designgears/cognition/Cognitionv4.1.1.zip

You might want to upgrade and see if it gets fixed, otherwise, I think there's a way to pull Swype from the backup of the stock rom to make it not complain about "expired".

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Honestly, in the last 2 hours since swype died... I've been using the default samsung keyboard, and I think i'm actually faster just mashing buttons than trying to get around swype's shittiness.

I think I don't even care about swype anymore, it was a pain in the butt to use it but i just thought it was faster because it was the pimped product - having never used a touch keyboard before.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Don't sweat it. Swype really is an awesome product but it doesn't work for everyone. I really want to like it but I keep going back to the stock 2.3 keyboard.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I have the COS-DS rom installed on my G1 (this one) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=11293013

Its a little slow in general getting around it also crashes sometimes when I try to get to the phone dialer, Anyone else have these difficulties? Any other gingerbread rom reccomendations? Anyone try Yoshi?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

madkapitolist posted:

Any other gingerbread rom reccomendations? Anyone try Yoshi?

I have Yoshi RC 5.1 on a 32B board Magic (so similar hardware).

It runs as well as any other ROM ever has on this phone, actually probably a little better than it did on CM6 (which is to say its still slow as hell, but hey can't expect miracles right). I've had zero crashes so far though which is encouraging, just a few weird things with tones changing on their own.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I'm gonna chime in and say that I'm also getting battery issues with CM7 RC2. I have the Seidio 3500mah battery and I went from 100 to 64 in about 4 hours this morning, with my phone being quite warm when I picked it up. I think that certain apps aren't turning off GPS when they are exited.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
A friend of mine just got the Verizon LG Vortex (i.e. the Optimus but there can't be two Optimus Vs :v:). There don't appear to be any ROMs of consequence - does anyone here have the Vortex and something like a Cyanogenmod port?

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

madkapitolist posted:

I have the COS-DS rom installed on my G1 (this one) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=11293013

Its a little slow in general getting around it also crashes sometimes when I try to get to the phone dialer, Anyone else have these difficulties? Any other gingerbread rom reccomendations? Anyone try Yoshi?

It is a bit slow, but I have not had any crashes. When you first flashed, did you not log in, wait 5-10 minutes, restart then start to modify/log in?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
On my rooted incredible running CM 6.1 I'm noticing more and more apps, particularly games, that aren't visible in my market. Most recently AirAttack HD. Is this because I'm running a custom ROM? Or is it just a CM thing? Also are there any other roms worth trying for the Incredible.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

anyone had a chance to try out MIUI 1.3.11 properly yet, im on the fence, last time i installed miui it hosed up a whole bunch of stuff, but if its more reliable now id like to give it another go. Does it still require a swap partition on the sd card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

Mine GO BOOM posted:

It is a bit slow, but I have not had any crashes. When you first flashed, did you not log in, wait 5-10 minutes, restart then start to modify/log in?

I didn't do that but I just flashed yoshi with the new hboot and the radio and everything is working out pretty well. I wasn't using the new hboot/radio with other rom.