Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Alright. Can I still use my sapper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Alright. Can I still use my sapper?

It's every other turn once you start using it, right? Well it's been a turn since you used it last, plus D4 is just barely within range of the 'mech ability, so pile on!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Almost half the hostages dead and the entire reinforced lance will be sent to the salvage yards after this. I consider this battle a clear defeat. :colbert:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

Almost half the hostages dead and the entire reinforced lance will be sent to the salvage yards after this. I consider this battle a clear defeat. :colbert:

Aside from the total destruction of two Death Commandos lances, the death of an entire infantry company and both the Warhammer and Cataphract being captured as salvage, you mean?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm thinking FY should move to 1306 and blast the poo poo outta the vindi with everything I got left.

I wholeheartedly approve of this plan, just as I did your plan to kick the SRM carrier by running through a minefield. You're the only one keeping us in this thing against dice rape.

:patriot:

Tempest_56 posted:

Aside from the total destruction of two Death Commandos lances, the death of an entire infantry company and both the Warhammer and Cataphract being captured as salvage, you mean?

You know you can buy 'mechs with money, right? You don't have to trade the lives of your women and children (and injun mechanic) to get them second hand.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

quote:

You know you can buy 'mechs with money, right? You don't have to trade the lives of your women and children (and injun mechanic) to get them second hand.

...You do when you're attacked? It's not like they just sent the Capellans a gift-wrapped bunch of hostages on a whim. So far they've traded two mechs and a mech pilot for a much larger number of Death Commandos and assorted DC hardware, and they'll be leaving with two salvageable mechs to start to rebuild after the attack is sorted out. Yes, they were bloodied and paid a high price, but they've responded to the attack with a fierce defense that seems like it will end in clear victory.

Space Texicans, I'm betting on you.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

So which captured Mech is Andre going to be piloting after they are salvaged?

Or do drivers who lose their Mech not get dibs on salvaged Mechs captured during the battle in which they ejected?

I don't know the rules here...

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Zaodai posted:

"Life is cheap. Battlemechs are expensive."

- Battletech Compendium, back cover

:colbert:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Treat your mechs like they're unlimited, and then be mystified when you always lose your wars. It's the Capellan way!

Besides, you can find women everywhere and children are easy to make. But do you know how hard it is for the Cappies to train new Death Commandos?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
In fairness, only the mech lance and one squad of infantry are Death Commandos. The rest are just Capellan Militia. Lives are cheap, but Capellans are worthless.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Funny how those worthless Capellans have taken you down to a single combat-effective mech. :smug: Sounds like you Space Mexicans must have some amazing form of nega-value.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

The Lancelot is worth, in C-Bills, probably more than the entire Capellan contingent combined and now it's in the middle of a minefield and can't use its superior mobility. The Space Mexicans went into this with some very good (and expensive) mechs compared to the Death Commandos. They're doing pretty well all things told.

And by they I mean the Death Commandos.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Tempest_56 posted:

No. No, do NOT MOVE. You are standing in the middle of a minefield with 7 internal left in one leg. Moving is a TERRIBLE idea right now. You're no good if you're legged.

Nah, bunny, you're out of the minefield. Go up the hill to 1507, where you have woods cover. This also presents your stronger back armor and lets you reverse your arms and still do some damage. Standing still and praying you don't get hit in the leg is pretty dumb. Open the range, seek cover, and moon away.

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm advancing to 1109 and will be going full alpha strike. The Vindicator is going to die. Concentrate fire and put it down.

Why stand in the open? If you move to 0910, the Blackjack needs 7s to hit you, or 8s if you go to 0810. I realize you'd have to run, but walking in the open near a minefield when you're the hope of the unit seems dangerous.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Merry Marauder posted:

Why stand in the open? If you move to 0910, the Blackjack needs 7s to hit you, or 8s if you go to 0810. I realize you'd have to run, but walking in the open near a minefield when you're the hope of the unit seems dangerous.

It's the Cabellero way! :ese:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

LLSix posted:

It's the Cabellero way! :ese:

Nah, that's running to 1008 whilst firing one's AC/5s in the air. Meeneemum range? gently caress yo' meeneemum range, cabrón!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Nah, bunny, you're out of the minefield. Go up the hill to 1507, where you have woods cover. This also presents your stronger back armor and lets you reverse your arms and still do some damage. Standing still and praying you don't get hit in the leg is pretty dumb. Open the range, seek cover, and moon away.

I can't. I don't have lower arm actuators.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

I can't. I don't have lower arm actuators.

Right, that means you can FLIP both arms. It's a benefit in this case.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Right, that means you can FLIP both arms. It's a benefit in this case.

Oh. I misread it as may NOT fire arm weapons in rear arc.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

radintorov posted:

Also that Vindicator has to die and the pilot executed: shooting someone that ejected is such a no-no. Even more so that he failed to kill such an easy target. :rolleyes:

To his defence, the Hunchie gave him a nice fuckoff gift on the way out. I guess it's somewhat hard to aim when you're busy with desperately trying to compensate for about 200 kg of high-velocity shells turning one arm of your Mech into confetti.

And I'm still laughing at that SRM carrier. SOmething tells me that those guys are going to go unmourned.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Could - but I'm not. I'd only up their to-hit on me to a BTH 5 versus a 4, while upping mine from 5 to a 6. They're at worst an 83% chance to hit me - not worth the exchange of my own hit chances. I'm also very confident that the two of them do not have enough firepower to bring down my Rifleman before I vaporize that Vindicator. Even if the Vindie rails me hard, I'm confident at being able to out-duel the Blackjack in a one on one. It's a little dicey, but right now the important thing is to kill the bastards even if it means getting shot up a bit.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

Could - but I'm not. I'd only up their to-hit on me to a BTH 5 versus a 4, while upping mine from 5 to a 6. They're at worst an 83% chance to hit me - not worth the exchange of my own hit chances. I'm also very confident that the two of them do not have enough firepower to bring down my Rifleman before I vaporize that Vindicator. Even if the Vindie rails me hard, I'm confident at being able to out-duel the Blackjack in a one on one. It's a little dicey, but right now the important thing is to kill the bastards even if it means getting shot up a bit.

You're not considering the range mods on the medium lasers. It's the difference between 6 and 8, which is huge.

E: Talking about 0810, that is.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 13, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

This is the Succession War era; you can buy Mechs with money after the Great Houses, who get first dibs, buy all the ones they want, and THEN, if there are any left over that they didn't need or just suck, you can buy those.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Hope you like Urbanmechs!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Does this mean that poor Andre is going to be a part of the dispossessed after losing his father's mech? :ohdear:

Poor bastard. He lost a priceless family heirloom and now he's going to go from mechwarrior to hobo.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Artificer posted:

Does this mean that poor Andre is going to be a part of the dispossessed after losing his father's mech? :ohdear:

Poor bastard. He lost a priceless family heirloom and now he's going to go from mechwarrior to hobo.

Maybe he can get that salvaged Warhammer.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

Maybe he can get that salvaged Warhammer.

A 20-ton upgrade/promotion would be quite the feather in the cap for someone who got a mech shot out from under him. Still, maybe. I wouldn't want to see some poor goon bastard go hungry because of a lucky PPC to the ammo cache.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Artificer posted:

A 20-ton upgrade/promotion would be quite the feather in the cap for someone who got a mech shot out from under him. Still, maybe. I wouldn't want to see some poor goon bastard go hungry because of a lucky PPC to the ammo cache.

That's why I put all ammo in my HD and CT, and only once those are filled go for LT/RT, and I make sure to dump the ammo in those bins - the hard way - first thing.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That's why I put all ammo in my HD and CT, and only once those are filled go for LT/RT, and I make sure to dump the ammo in those bins - the hard way - first thing.

Mechanically, that makes sense because if those sections go down, the mech is going down anyways. But story-wise, I thought it didn't make sense because an ammo explosion in CT or HD meant no possibility of ejection?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
How does a hunchback even become a family heirloom?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Same way any 'Mech gets passed down from parent to pilot. Just don't lose your granddaddy's Jenner unless you enjoy the thought of being a broke rear end chump.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Same way any 'Mech gets passed down from parent to pilot. Just don't lose your granddaddy's Jenner unless you enjoy the thought of being a broke rear end chump.

I think he's referring to how Hunchbacks don't tend to survive very long for reasons we saw here: if they're allowed to fire they will mess part of your Mech up very, very badly.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Polaron posted:

I think he's referring to how Hunchbacks don't tend to survive very long for reasons we saw here: if they're allowed to fire they will mess part of your Mech up very, very badly.

You never know, maybe Stubby's just pulled a LOT of garrison duty.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Artificer posted:

If the Caballeros don't win, then almost certainly. If they carry the day and can take out their salvage tracks after the fight, they might be able to put something together.

But yeah, that Hunchback is gone forever. Only things that render a mech completely unsalvageable are ammo explosions and artillery fire.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

lilljonas posted:

How does a hunchback even become a family heirloom?

Probably because Space Mexicans are all talk. That hunchback is a veteran of hundreds of siestas, many of them taken during major wars. Even while its pilots weren't snoozing away the afternoon, they sure weren't fighting. Do you have any idea how long it takes to make a sombrero for a mech? The Space Mexicans were probably late for every fight because of their aggressive schedule of napping and decorating.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Polaron posted:

I knew I should have stayed in the forest!

:argh:

They would've hit you anyway.

Arglebargle III posted:

The Space Mexicans were probably late for every fight because of their aggressive schedule of napping and decorating.

Fun fact: Comacho's Caballeros do not have a standardized paint scheme. They let their pilots paint (and, in some cases, decorate) their 'Mechs however they like.

... Which is why they have a Locust with thousands of cheap plastic toys glued all over it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Plus every faction that was ever featured in a Battletech book has to set aside significant blocks of time for being, "totally awesome, you guys!" You can't have main characters belittling environmentalists, beating up rivals, and pursuing romances without significant downtime. So with that and the napping, the Caballeros really can't be expected to ever get anything done.

I mean, look at how they got into this mess! They had plans for a relaxing day of napping, and fixing and decorating their mechs, but they also had plans to be attacked by the Death Commandos. They were double-booked!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
The real question is why anybody installs ejection systems into mechs, if they're so goddamn intergral to a mechwarrior's life.

I'd just as soon die as get stuck looking for a job that damned specialized. Jesus, do mechwarriors literally have no life skills outside of piloting death-machines?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Veyrall posted:

Jesus, do mechwarriors literally have no life skills outside of piloting death-machines?

You say that like it's a bad thing. :black101:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Veyrall posted:

I'd just as soon die as get stuck looking for a job that damned specialized. Jesus, do mechwarriors literally have no life skills outside of piloting death-machines?

Well, depends on wheter you have mechwarriors created with the RPG system or not. :D
As a job it's not that bad, since even if you lose your 'mech, you are still living in a time where people able to pilot them can always find a job with the Great Houses if they are desperate and are not afraid to end up piloting an awesome Urbanmech. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Urbanmech: Like a hunchback with no mobility and a third the armor!

• Locked thread