Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

Factory Factory posted:

Prime95 or Intel Burn Test. If it can run Prime95 for 24 hours or IBT for ten minutes, the processor is stable. You'd need something else for full load (i.e. stressing the graphics card, too), though. And maybe a multimeter to get actual voltages.

EDIT: I actually mean PSU not CPU. Whoops!

Cool thanks. This PSU (Corsair HX 620w) was being used in my old AMD2 machine that poo poo itself when the mobo crapped out, never to return. I can't be sure it wasn't the cpu or the PSU being screwey I guess (I think it shat when I plugged a USB drive into the front mounted USB slots on my tower) but I've had it running in an i5 system with no problems.

Mister Bung fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
PSU problems are usually a differential diagnosis (i.e. like an episode of House except you don't have House helping out). Unless you have an oscilliscope, there's no way to rule them out, and you have to look at history and symptoms to give you a good probability that it's a PSU problem.

The thing is, most of the more subtle PSU problems (i.e. those that can't be detected by a voltage monitoring utility or a multimeter) present as poor system stability, so running Prime95 or Intel Burn Test (or, better yet, a video card test suite or a game or do a GPU-accelerated render of some HD video while running SETI@Home) will actually indirectly point at PSU problems. If you can run the system forever when you're just dinking around, yet a high-load test instantly leads to instability, that's a sign of a PSU problem. Most CPU instabilities would build up regardless of the amount of load on the processor.

Though with the problem starting when you plugged a USB drive into the front ports, that sounds like it's a Southbridge problem on the motherboard, and you don't have to worry about the PSU. Especially if you've been using it since without incident.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

PSU problems are usually a differential diagnosis (i.e. like an episode of House except you don't have House helping out). Unless you have an oscilliscope, there's no way to rule them out, and you have to look at history and symptoms to give you a good probability that it's a PSU problem.

The thing is, most of the more subtle PSU problems (i.e. those that can't be detected by a voltage monitoring utility or a multimeter) present as poor system stability, so running Prime95 or Intel Burn Test (or, better yet, a video card test suite or a game or do a GPU-accelerated render of some HD video while running SETI@Home) will actually indirectly point at PSU problems. If you can run the system forever when you're just dinking around, yet a high-load test instantly leads to instability, that's a sign of a PSU problem. Most CPU instabilities would build up regardless of the amount of load on the processor.

Though with the problem starting when you plugged a USB drive into the front ports, that sounds like it's a Southbridge problem on the motherboard, and you don't have to worry about the PSU. Especially if you've been using it since without incident.

Awesome thanks. I never even got it close to load in the previous system so I didn't think it was so stressed it'd kick the bucket.
Sandy Bridge here I come!

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I built my new system last night! The MSI board for sale on Newegg is fantastic. Don't hesitate to pick it up.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Mister Bung posted:

I think it shat when I plugged a USB drive into the front mounted USB slots on my tower

Sounds like a short when you plugged in the drive. Just curious but do you use a Cooler Master case?

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

LiftAuff posted:

Sounds like a short when you plugged in the drive. Just curious but do you use a Cooler Master case?

No it was a big fuckoff Lian Li server case.

EDIT: Getting the Antec Nine Hundred TWO v3 for its USB3.0 ports this time round

Mister Bung fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 4, 2011

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Phalex posted:

Does anyone have any insight as to how Newegg will handle replacements? Will you have to send in your motherboard before they ship out the new one? Or will they ship you the new one first so you can ship the old one in the new box?

I got the notification email from them saying that they will be available based on when you ordered the original board. I can't be without a working computer for any amount of time for at least the next month, but I also don't want to wait until they start selling them again because they will probably be sold out for a while.

I got an email that essentially said "pick one option: A. you send it to us, then we send you the new one, B. we put a hold on your card (not a charge that will get refunded), send you the new board, you send the old one out, or C. you can opt out for whatever reason."

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Apparently the new boards are being released now, with the ASUS available on the 8th. Prices haven't moved that much, oddly.

e; ugh, no P8P67 Pro's available :~(

Murodese fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 5, 2011

Rhuidean
Oct 29, 2007
One More Engineer
B3 boards from Asus and Gigabyte have arrived in the UK, just ordered my 2500K and P8P67 Pro Rev3. Can't wait for them to arrive!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
My p8p67 pro preorder came in yesterday and everything is great, except the recycled Spinpoint F3 HDD I put in makes loud grinding noises each boot and is no longer visible in the EFI. New one on order for monday.

Hopefully this was just the stress of deleting 600GB, repartitioning then swapping the drive while it was still warm and not another SATA bug.

Also has anyone had problems with EFI detecting mouse movement properly?
Horizontal sensitivity is incredibly high even for a 5200dpi mouse, vertical movement is completely ignored and the mouse pointer slowly moves up the screen with no way to bring it back down. -Fake Edit http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1579454

GOD drat IT! USB loving 360 pad works in EFI and overrides mouse controls if the stick is a tiny bit off centre!

-Real edit.

Arseballs! Further googling says that some SATA2 mechanical drives are not fully compatible with the SATA3 ports on Asus boards with different bugs affecting different combinations of Intel/Marvel 6gbs ports and different manufacturers. Unfortunately the Spinpoint F3 HE***** has problems with both of those and another minor bug that results in slower access time with the 3gbs ports. The Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ has a firmware update available that fixes this but it's not listed as compatible with the newer HE model.

I had one of each model and a 2nd HE on order that's already been dispatched so take this as a warning.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 5, 2011

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I'll be in the market for a new machine pretty soon since my newest (2.5 year old) machine died and I need something a little more high end than a lovely Inspiron laptop from 4 years ago. What I want to know is....how do I tell if the desktop I'm buying has the problem with SATA drives? Here's an example link: http://www.11st.co.kr/product/SellerProductDetail.tmall?method=getSellerProductDetail&prdNo=129192443

If you scroll down there are some specs for the motherboard in an image file. These Sandy Bridge desktop systems were available very early, so I'm worried about getting one of the affected chips. I'll translate if needed. Unfortunately, I don't have the time right this second.

TreFitty fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 6, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
They have to have the B3 stepping of the P67/H67 chipsets (affected boards are B2, prerelease boards are B1). On retail packages, boards (should) have a marking on the box and a sticker on the motherboard itself, maybe a marking on the PCB. Other than that, the way to tell is to open up CPU-Z or the motherboard's stock system utility or go into the BIOS and check for the B3 stepping to be specified. It might also be called Revision 3 with some brands.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

I wonder if i should get my Gigabyte P67A-UD3 replaced as soon as the B3 chipsets come out, or wait and upgrade to a Z68 chipset board (Microcenter says they'll allow upgrades). Do I really need Quicksync? Hum...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Do you actually need a custom cooler for an i5-2500k? I'll be wanting to run it at a moderate overclock of 4.2 ghz or something. How's the noise on the boxed cooler?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

PirateBob posted:

Do you actually need a custom cooler for an i5-2500k?
Apparently not.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Everything I've read says it uses the same cooler as older i5 cpu's and will work fine even for overclocking.
I bought a Hyper 212+ because ambient temperatures fluctuate wildly over the year and I really hate the plastic pushpins used for stock Intel coolers.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Newegg sent me an email on March 1st detailing their replacement policy for these boards. I opted for the advanced RMA where they charge my card, they send the mobo, and I send the faulty one back after I install the new board.

Can i just drop the new mobo into my rig and have no problems? Its an Asus P8P67-M Pro if that matters.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world
You may have to reactivate Windows, that should be about it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

R1CH posted:

You may have to reactivate Windows, that should be about it.

Plus update your router if you do static DHCP allocation based on MAC address. Any software that utilizes your MAC address in system identification (most of them) will realize you've changed mobos as well.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world
Welp, SATA controller on my P8P67 just starting throwing drive errors. Hopefully newegg will get in touch with me soon.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have still heard absolutely nothing from the retailer I bought from mobo from here in New Zealand. They are generally regarded as one of the 'good guys' so I thought I would have got an email.

Worth sending them something? Or just hold out until there are problems?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

R1CH posted:

Welp, SATA controller on my P8P67 just starting throwing drive errors. Hopefully newegg will get in touch with me soon.

I filled out the Asus cross-ship form; Newegg emailed me last week about setting up an exchange as well. Might want to contact them if you haven't gotten anything yet.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
Some of the ASUS REV 3.0 P67 boards are in stock on Amazon:

P8P67 PRO - $189.99

P8P67 DELUXE - $239.99

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Those both say they're not available.

The Sabertooth is available from a third party, only 3 left though, and higher priced than what Amazon would have it at ($219.99)

P67 Sabertooth - $244.59

Trickyrive fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 11, 2011

Bandit64
Oct 22, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Trickyrive posted:

Those both say they're not available.

The Sabertooth is available from a third party, only 3 left though, and higher priced than what Amazon would have it at ($219.99)

P67 Sabertooth - $244.59

I imagine people are on them like hawks since they've been waiting a while to upgrade/buy new at this point.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Bandit64 posted:

I imagine people are on them like hawks since they've been waiting a while to upgrade/buy new at this point.

Yeah I'm one of them, been trying to snag a Pro board.
poo poo, I hope this doesn't mean I missed that shipment.

Trickyrive fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 11, 2011

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yep, they were both in stock when I posted the links... I got my order in :) (hasn't shipped yet though) edit: shipped

Anyone looking to get their hands on one should check frequently.

olaf2022 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 12, 2011

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

gently caress, and here i've been refreshing Newegg thinking that they'd have it up first.

SantaClaus
Dec 10, 2003

wooF
Most all of them are up now on Newegg, I just bought a sabertooth and 2500k, can't wait!

Booty Scope
Oct 11, 2004
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Got my P8P67 Pro from amazon today! Too bad I work tonight! :(

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I know I don't have QuickSync but drat is encoding videos with Handbrake on my 2500 fast. For the first time in a long time I'm actually contemplating ripping and encoding my DVD collection

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hydralith posted:

Got my P8P67 Pro from amazon today! Too bad I work tonight! :(

Dude, I feel your pain. Imagine having to wait a week for a stupid heatsink bracket :(

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Try my pain on for size. I am stuck on a old C2D iMac and the worst laptop ever made until September

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Nonpython posted:

Try my pain on for size. I am stuck on a old C2D iMac and the worst laptop ever made until September

I am using a Pentium M laptop every day as my main machine until I can make a sandy bridge build

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Since I'm just using my system for gaming and my E8400 is still going strong, am I better off waiting for Ivy Bridge at the end of the year or for Bulldozer in June?

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I was stuck with a C2D 1.6 laptop for a while because my main computer broke a few weeks ago. Seeing as how I'm starting a new job that requires I mess around with virtual machines at home, I couldn't wait any longer and just recently got a prebuilt with a B2 board. I honestly don't understand the point of waiting. I've got several drive enclosures and NEVER use an optical drive unless I'm installing an OS. So, I think two internal HDs is enough. Why are you guys being so picky? What are your plans?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

spasticColon posted:

Since I'm just using my system for gaming and my E8400 is still going strong, am I better off waiting for Ivy Bridge at the end of the year or for Bulldozer in June?

If you don't need to upgrade now, then go ahead and wait. Socket won't change for Ivy Bridge I'm pretty sure, so those CPUs should run in your current 1155 mobo with a BIOS update, if you decide to buy now.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

movax posted:

If you don't need to upgrade now, then go ahead and wait. Socket won't change for Ivy Bridge I'm pretty sure, so those CPUs should run in your current 1155 mobo with a BIOS update, if you decide to buy now.

At this point, I'm only going to upgrade if a game forces me to upgrade meaning it requires a quad-core to run the game. Which is why I will probably wait until Ivy Bridge comes out unless Bulldozer is a game changer but I doubt it.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

TreFitty posted:

I was stuck with a C2D 1.6 laptop for a while because my main computer broke a few weeks ago. Seeing as how I'm starting a new job that requires I mess around with virtual machines at home, I couldn't wait any longer and just recently got a prebuilt with a B2 board. I honestly don't understand the point of waiting. I've got several drive enclosures and NEVER use an optical drive unless I'm installing an OS. So, I think two internal HDs is enough. Why are you guys being so picky? What are your plans?

Do you really consider "wants SATA ports on the motherboard to work" to be a picky position to take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

TreFitty posted:

"Doop doop do, let's see, I want a boot SSD - that's a 6 Gbps port. Don't want to use the Marvell ports because they have crappy performance with SSDs. I also want two drives in RAID 1 for downloads, slow games, and caching music and movies from my NAS. Well... hm, I can't use the Marvell controller because it doesn't do RAID, so I have to use at least one of the affected ports. Nuts. Also, where do I plug in my BluRay drive for watching movies, which I love doing all the time? Can't be the Marvell ports, either. So I guess it's gotta be another affected port."