Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

nesbit37 posted:

You can't of course just order from other country's Amazon sites.

Why can you not?

I'm in the UK and have ordered things from Amazon.de and Amazon.com before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

WillieWestwood posted:

Of course, if the site her portfolio is on has disabled the right-click menu, you're out of luck.

Says who? :ninja:

You can look at the page source for the image url or do some workarounds with adblock, but that's the extent of my knowledge on that.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Or just take a screenshot.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Why can you not?

I'm in the UK and have ordered things from Amazon.de and Amazon.com before

I don't know if its because of some specific arrangement Amazon USA has, but in the past when I have tried to order from amazon.de, fr, or co.uk it won't let the transaction complete and boots me to amazon.com when I try to complete the purchase. It has really blown in the past, but I just assumed it still worked this way and haven't tried in a couple months.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Gravity Pike posted:

Nice filing cabinets are made of thick pieces of good quality metal, have ball-bearings, and are generally precision-manufactured so they "glide" instead of "scrape." If you're looking for some inexpensive cabinets, you can find them used, as someone else pointed out at Goodwill, or you can look around for a specific "used office furniture" store. I managed to pick up a metal desk for about $20, where a similar model was $500 new.

My biggest problem was not the scrape (since in the tropics ball bearings tend to last only a few seconds anyway), it was the fact that cheap filing cabinets have a flimsy frame that holds the edges on the hanging file files, rather than a 'properly crimped and formed into the drawer wall itself' lip.

Spending many hours trying to sort out which scrap of paper goes where after those flimsy frames crap out made me understand why important papers need expensive file cabinets. Also well made file cabinets have instructions that tell you to anchor the cabinets and load them from the bottom up so you do not open the full top drawer and have the whole thing fall over.

Again those government desks are a bear to get home but generally worth it since they are built like tanks. And no chance of tipping.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

kapalama posted:

Again those government desks are a bear to get home but generally worth it since they are built like tanks. And no chance of tipping.

I'm not really a deskologist, but I think if regular desks are too prone to tipping for you, then maybe desks aren't the ideal furniture for the activity you are using them for.

Question: How much of a stretch is it to call a skill learned primarily by watching youtube videos "self-taught". It's sort of like having lessons because it is videos of people literally giving you lessons. But you can't ask them questions when you don't understand something or get feedback so you know when you are doing something wrong, so it's really not the same kind of thing at all.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
How are siamese twins counted in the census?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Jeffrey Colon posted:

How are siamese twins counted in the census?

Two people

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Eyeball posted:

Question: How much of a stretch is it to call a skill learned primarily by watching youtube videos "self-taught". It's sort of like having lessons because it is videos of people literally giving you lessons. But you can't ask them questions when you don't understand something or get feedback so you know when you are doing something wrong, so it's really not the same kind of thing at all.

Definitely accurate to call it self-taught for the reason you said.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Eyeball posted:

The proof is in the pudding -- if they can't demonstrate what they learned, they didn't teach themselves anything. If they can, then it clearly worked. The claim is only a stretch insofar as they actually learned something.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

b0nes posted:

Question about copyright. Do I need to get permission to copy a picture off the internet to my hard drive? I was browsing a friends portfolio and left a comment (joking) that this would be a cool background and she got fussy at me.

No. That is how the internet works. You tell you browser "GET http://myfriendsportfolio.com/gallary.html", and your broswer finds the server, downloads the HTML, which then tells it which other files off of the server it needs to download, including the images. Your browser automatically saves all of these files into a "temp" or a "cache" folder on your hard drive. You cannot view an image on a website without downloading it to your computer first.

The most effective defense against this for artists attempting to protect their intellectual property is to offer only a low-resolution version of their work, and to slap it with a watermark, with a high-resolution copy only available upon request/behind a paywall/etc.

Copyright law does prohibit anyone else from really using her images; however, her server is the one providing the copies when you you download a copy to your hard drive.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Two people

What if it's like, one head but two bodies split at the upper torso so it's basically an octopus man or something?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Other than being forums famous...my take on it would be that it's still two people, two identities, etc.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
One head is one person, other bodies but no heads would be deceased people.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I got a cheap picture frame from target to frame a poster that I'd like to hang on my wall. When I got home, I realized that I'm not quite sure how to hang it on my wall. It doesn't have a string across the back, but does have this

across which I assume I'm supposed to tie my own string. What string will work? I've got some twine in my cupboard, but I don't expect this to be strong enough. Is there specific string that I should be using? What knot should I use so it doesn't just fall down?

I'd estimate that the frame weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 pounds. Am I going to be okay just pounding a little nail into my wall and it hanging off of that? In my babby's-first-toolkit, I got what I assume is a wall-mounting kit, which includes a whole bunch of the following parts, but I'm not sure what to do with any of it except pound nail into wall with hammer.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

orange lime posted:

What if it's like, one head but two bodies split at the upper torso so it's basically an octopus man or something?

Then one people. It's dependent on the number of brains since one of the main uses for the census is deciding the number of voters in each district.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
What you're supposed to do is tie a loop of something between those two triangular things. Don't use a single straight piece between them.

Since it'll be behind the frame you can use whatever you want. Thin steel aircraft cable is the standard for heavy things, monofilament for lighter things, but at five pounds just about any string should be fine. The knot you should use to connect the two ends is a sheet bend.

As for mounting, your choices are to use a drywall anchor, if that's what that is, or find a stud and nail into that. However, that nail is too short and I'm not really sure what kind of mounting thing that is. It *looks* like some sort of drywall anchor but I don't really see how it would work. Might want to stop by the hardware store and pick up some more standard ones.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 14, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Gravity Pike posted:

I'd estimate that the frame weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 pounds. Am I going to be okay just pounding a little nail into my wall and it hanging off of that? In my babby's-first-toolkit, I got what I assume is a wall-mounting kit, which includes a whole bunch of the following parts, but I'm not sure what to do with any of it except pound nail into wall with hammer.

2 things:
1. DIY stupid questions thread is available
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407

2. If you do decide to use a nail (not my first choice because eventually nails come out, unless the wall is wood) put it in at an angle downward. It catches and hold better, and the wire will slide right in next to the wall to make the downforce a completely shear force.

3. As far as the triangles go, one of the reasons why some people like them (rather than the sawtooth hangar, or already attached wire solution) is that you can have the loop of wire/string/whatever outside the frame of the picture, rather than completely hidden behind it. It does not look as nice, but trying to blindly catch the wire into the hook when it is completely hidden behind the frame might be tricky.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 14, 2011

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Why didn't the CD-Text standard catch on with the music industry? It seems like it would be easier than tagging audio files from online databases, because internet access wouldn't be necessary.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I have a thick leather belt that I need to shorten. It's a 34, but I need a 32 or a 30. Making the new notch should be easy; I figure I can just use a power drill. But how do I cut off the excess leather? Will a hacksaw work, or would that damage the blade? The next best thing I have is a bow saw, but would that be overkill?

Also, how do I smooth out the edges when I'm done? The rest of the belt is neatly cut and treated with something that makes it smooth, but I don't know with what.

Edit: I just noticed the DIY link two posts before this. I'll ask there if you guys can't help me.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Raimundus posted:

I have a thick leather belt that I need to shorten. It's a 34, but I need a 32 or a 30. Making the new notch should be easy; I figure I can just use a power drill. But how do I cut off the excess leather? Will a hacksaw work, or would that damage the blade? The next best thing I have is a bow saw, but would that be overkill?

You want to shorten the other end and re-attach the buckle, generally speaking.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

baquerd posted:

You want to shorten the other end and re-attach the buckle, generally speaking.

I can't do that easily because of the way this buckle is held on. The belt wraps around it and buttons down on the other side. I'd have to buy a new buckle and I was hoping to do this on the cheap for free.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Why don't you just use a sharp knife? Something like a box cutter or carpet knife should be fine. Even a hefty pair of scissors should do it.

I don't really understand why you'd try and cut leather with a hacksaw, or think that it would damage a steel blade :psyduck:

[e] make the hole with an awl, not a drill. Leather is way softer than wood or metal.

RIP CHRIS KYLE
Mar 25, 2009

i love you billy.
does anyone know the best way to get ink out of a shirt? someone left a pen in their pocket when they put their poo poo in the dryer and i got ink all over my favorite t-shirt. it's like day-glo yellow, so i'm not sure if bleach is going to work or whatever.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

orange lime posted:

I don't really understand why you'd try and cut leather with a hacksaw, or think that it would damage a steel blade :psyduck:

[e] make the hole with an awl, not a drill. Leather is way softer than wood or metal.

I'd make the hole with a Punch, personally. Leather will grab the drill bit, and the awl will make a hole that might heal over time. The punch allows you to go through without allowing the leather to walk around on you.

(Leather straps are used to sharpen steel blades, so it is not so far fetched to think cutting leather would damage steel. It certainly will pop the rivet on most scissors. Tin Snips might do it, but generally leather is a bear to work with especially if it has been treated. There is a reason why leather protects motorcyclist sliding on pavement. It can be extremely tough.)

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

How can I be sure that when a online store says "All proceeds go to so and so" is actually true?

A facebook event has been going around and these guys are selling "PRAY FOR JAPAN" stickers : http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=195325140501622

Sure, they say that their proceeds are going to Red Cross but I can do the exact same thing and say the donation is going to Red Cross as well. Their e-cart website doesn't have any info/certificate/whatever - all their info is on their facebook page.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

orange lime posted:

Why don't you just use a sharp knife? Something like a box cutter or carpet knife should be fine. Even a hefty pair of scissors should do it.

Ever try to cut leather, dude? It's pretty tough. And this belt is about a quarter-millimeter thick (and an inch and a half wide) and treated. If I had a belt saw, I'd be using that instead of a hacksaw, which is probably going to be beat to poo poo by the time I get through this thing.

kapalama posted:

Leather will grab the drill bit...

What if I vicegrip it to a block of wood to give it a solid backing?

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 14, 2011

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

How can I be sure that when a online store says "All proceeds go to so and so" is actually true?

If you want to donate the money, donate it directly to the Red Cross and get the maximum bang for your buck. If you want a thing, then buy it and accept that you have no idea where the money is ultimately going. "Proceeds go to x charity" things are nearly always just marketing tools used to get people to buy things, not any kind of humanitarian gesture.

Raimundus posted:

Ever try to cut leather, dude? It's pretty tough. And this belt is about a quarter-millimeter thick (and an inch and a half wide) and treated. If I had a belt saw, I'd be using that instead of a hacksaw, which is probably going to be beat to poo poo by the time I get through this thing.

I assume you mean a quarter-centimeter, cause 0.25mm is really thin. Yes, I've worked with leather before (I am not a leatherworker by trade though) and I believe you could cut that by going over it repeatedly with a sharp, stiff knife like a carpet knife. I feel that anything with a serrated blade, including a bandsaw or a hacksaw, is going to give you a ragged, nasty edge.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 14, 2011

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I'm looking for a program that'll let me do group video calls like Skype, but for free and with minimal ads. Only 3 people will be in the group.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Google just doesn't tell me anything about how good/poo poo they are.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I have a nascent ear infection coming on that I've been trying to stave off. I've been popping sugar-free cough drops like tic-tacs the last two days, mostly for comfort but also to cut down on coughing. I went through a whole bag of 25 in one day. Could having this much mentholyptus (and whatever else) in my system potentially be bad?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

hecho en mexico posted:

does anyone know the best way to get ink out of a shirt? someone left a pen in their pocket when they put their poo poo in the dryer and i got ink all over my favorite t-shirt. it's like day-glo yellow, so i'm not sure if bleach is going to work or whatever.

Hairspray often works for regular pen ink, but if the shirt has already gone through the dryer it might be too baked in. Can't hurt to try, though. Spray the poo poo out of the ink with the hairspray, let sit a few minutes, then wash as normal.

(edited because I fail at the reading comprehension)

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

orange lime posted:

If you want to donate the money, donate it directly to the Red Cross and get the maximum bang for your buck. If you want a thing, then buy it and accept that you have no idea where the money is ultimately going. "Proceeds go to x charity" things are nearly always just marketing tools used to get people to buy things, not any kind of humanitarian gesture.

I assume you mean a quarter-centimeter, cause 0.25mm is really thin. Yes, I've worked with leather before (I am not a leatherworker by trade though) and I believe you could cut that by going over it repeatedly with a sharp, stiff knife like a carpet knife. I feel that anything with a serrated blade, including a bandsaw or a hacksaw, is going to give you a ragged, nasty edge.

Yes, a quarter-centimeter. I wrote that at around 4:00AM.

I'll see what else I have, then, before I hit it with the hacksaw.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Raimundus posted:

Yes, a quarter-centimeter. I wrote that at around 4:00AM.

I'll see what else I have, then, before I hit it with the hacksaw.

Seriously, a sharp knife is what you want to use. Score it first and then keep going back over the cut.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
WTF is going on with these 2 pipes under my house. How did they attach them? spiderwebs and melted pennies?

Now I have to untangle this mess. Is there some reason a person might have done it this way?
If the question is unclear, I mean that twisted mass of 2 piped directly above the frontmost corner of that cinder block.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

They did it that way because those materials were standard and cheap at the time. So it looks like a cheap do it yourself job.
Is there a problem with the water delivery in your house? Why do you have untangle them? Not saying you shouldn't, but is there a problem associated with that junction?
And if you are going to just fix that junction, you might want to replace all of the pipes under there...

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

cosmicjim posted:

They did it that way because those materials were standard and cheap at the time. So it looks like a cheap do it yourself job.
Is there a problem with the water delivery in your house? Why do you have untangle them? Not saying you shouldn't, but is there a problem associated with that junction?
And if you are going to just fix that junction, you might want to replace all of the pipes under there...

The one on the right has sprung a small leak due to friction against bare brick. Normally I would just replace the pipe, (very little plumbling knowledge) but I don't even know how that drat thing is attached... I guess Im going to have to take the whole rig out and replace it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kharmakazy posted:

(very little plumbling knowledge)

quote:

I guess Im going to have to take the whole rig out and replace it.

:raise: Plumbing and electricity are two things you want to be very, very confident when dealing with, or hire a professional.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Easiest solution is to patch the leak if it's not actually on the joint. If it's a joint, then yes you need to do some replacing. You would cut the section out. You would need copper to pvc adapters, and the pvc pipe + joints you need for the job.

And I disagree about plumbing being something you need to be confident in doing. It is the easiest of the trades. I think plumbers make good money because they have to deal with human waste and crawl into tight spaces sometimes.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
May as well replace that copper piping anyhow... isnt there something newere than pvc they are using now... I'll pick up a handman book and see how bad I can gently caress it up until I need a plumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

There is also PEX which is supposed to be easier to install because it is flexible. I haven't used it, so I don't how much it costs.