Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

MrMondayNight posted:

This would work quite well. Inevitable victory for "Armbar".

I'm guessing something obscure from the 80s/90s is going to come out of the woodwork, that half of us have never seen before, and half of us haven't marked out for in over a decade. And then we will all ride the bandwagon together.

I know where my vote's going..

"I can cultivate her into something even I could want!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Sugar Blaster posted:

(still bitter about Santino and Kozlov beating Kings of Wrestling in the tag poll.)

Didn't happen.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
This will be the moment..... starting now..... at this moment.... right now....... this will be the moment...... of the genesis...... of MCGUILLICUTTY!

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Im gonna tell you all. With a tear.....in my eye....

Only because Heenan during the Rumble probably isnt eligable :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nominating the Cena/Angle rapoff.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Ok, so I want to discuss the "Stone Cold run over by a car". This is a pretty important angle for me because I got into watching WWF about two or three weeks afterwards. Knowing he was as great as he was through the hearsay of my friends, I really wanted to see Austin in action. His not being on TV made me romanticize him even more at my young age.

I did a little research just now on it and have some questions.

1. Was his neck surgery scheduled to happen around the time of the car accident, or was it impromptu due to some complication?

2. If it was scheduled, what was the deal with the Big Show getting the title as his replacement? It sounds like the Rock/HHH/Austin Triple Threat they had scheduled before was a big deal, and Big Show being in it sounds like dicking the audience over (no offense to Big Show, of course). I distinctly remember knowing giving a poo poo about Big Show having the title, his feud with Big Bossman being pretty lame, and him jobbing to Triple H on Raw to lose his belt. Was that really the plan or was just this some kind of last minute booking due to Austin's injury.

3. Upon his return, what the gently caress was the deal with it being Rikishi who ran him over? Rikishi doesn't seem like the type guy you would ever turn heel. I know he "did it for the Rock" or whatever. And even when he was revealed and I was still a bit of a mark I thought it was lame. Was the eventual change to HHH being the one who ran him over again trying to salvage the angle due to Rikishi going over like a zeppelin made of lead or what?

4. In general, would you consider Stone Cold's career to be as equal quality after returning, less quality, or even more quality than it was before his absence?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

crankdatbatman posted:

Austin neck stuff

Basically, Austin had been on a slow decline ever since Owen dropped him on his head. He was in dire need of the neck surgery and had been for years. I think it had been said that if he didn't have the surgery soon, he wouldn't be able to turn his head anymore.

As for his career ... well, in-ring wise, Austin was loving flying around the ring after he came back. He was putting on some of the very best in-ring work of his career at age 36. And the Two-Man Power Trip was awesome. The remainder of his career was ... different than 1996 - 2000, but most of it was just as good, the introduction of WHAT notwithstanding.

ProFro
Jun 29, 2008
I'll take a swing at this.

1. Austin's surgery was long overdue, as he hadn't ever taken proper time off after breaking his neck. So he finally got it. I'm guessing he made the decision to get surgery after the booking of the match, but that's pure conjecture on my part.

2. I really have no idea. On the one hand it seems like a last-minute decision, because it's not like Big Show had any main-event feuds in the pipeline, and he hadn't been particularly close to the main event since the first couple of months or so after leaving WCW. But then again, Vince does like his big guys and since WCW still existed then Big Show's mere presence in the WWF was kind of a novelty. And shock title changes were the style of the time.

3. I always figured they picked Rikishi because he was really ridiculously over for all of 2000, and with WCW so far behind by that point they figured they could afford to make risky booking decisions like trying to see if Rikishi could main event, or at least be a top star. Keep in mind that both Rock and HHH had recently become major main event players after turning heel. In a lot of ways, it probably seemed like the best, easiest way to make him into one. But yeah, I can only assume they switched to HHH because the Rikishi thing didn't work out like they hoped.

4. I don't know how fair a question this is; there wasn't much left of his career after the surgery, although he did have a great 2001. But he was done in-ring a couple years later, sat a large amount of 2002 out, etc. His absolute best years were behind him.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Tyma posted:

I know where my vote's going..

I got chills just reading that. Just so evil.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"'What?' stuff notwithstanding" ignores that Austin made "WHAT?" work and it was another sign of how the man could turn anything into gold.

Part of what made him such a great wrestler is that when his body started to get hosed up, he changed up his style of wrestling to fit it but found a way to make it connect with the crowd. For a very long period Austin's matches consisted almost entirely of exchanging punches, laying in some kicks on the ground and brawling through the crowd.... and it was some of the most exciting loving wrestling you could ever hope to see. :psyduck:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

"'What?' stuff notwithstanding" ignores that Austin made "WHAT?" work and it was another sign of how the man could turn anything into gold.

Part of what made him such a great wrestler is that when his body started to get hosed up, he changed up his style of wrestling to fit it but found a way to make it connect with the crowd. For a very long period Austin's matches consisted almost entirely of exchanging punches, laying in some kicks on the ground and brawling through the crowd.... and it was some of the most exciting loving wrestling you could ever hope to see. :psyduck:

Absolutely. Austin is the best brawler ever. No one ever made me care about brawling a 10th of as much as he did.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tyma posted:

What was this from?

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Aesop Poprock posted:

What was this from?

Jake the Snake promo. I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaDxp_NV34s

Here you go.

Lloyd Van Buren fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 13, 2011

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I don't know how I'd never seen that before. I remember the slap but not the aftermath

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

MrMondayNight posted:

Jake the Snake promo. I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaDxp_NV34s

Here you go.

Holy loving poo poo. I never saw Tuesday in Texas, so I never saw that promo or the angle before it. The fact that he struck Miss Elizabeth makes him the most evil character I've ever seen.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

tzirean posted:

So when his contract finished, he offered to job to Hogan every match they had if Hogan would put him on his Hulkamania Tour in Australia. Hogan, obviously, loved the idea of Flair jobbing to him every match they had, so he did so. Thus Hogan and Flair had a terrible, terrible series of matches all of which Flair lost (and all of which Flair loving bladed in, if I'm not mistaken).
This tour gets talked about a lot and I'm amazed that I never heard anything about it when it actually happened, I wonder how successful/unsuccessful it was. Last time I saw WWE live was in 2001 and they seemed to do really well and seem to still have no problem filling arenas. The Hulkamania tour I imagine would have been composed of stars that were at their peak before American wrestling was widely accessible in Australia. Wrestling only really started to catch on here during the dying days of the Attitude era and at the time (and still is) played exclusively on cable which was only an emerging product at the time, the vast majority of Australian's didn't have cable therefore couldn't access WWE or WCW. So I'd imagine the audience for the most part would have no idea who most of the performers eg the Nasty Boys were because they were stars before Australian's could watch them on TV or they are up and comers who had little exposure to Australian fans.

The idea of Flair telling Hogan he'll job to him in ever match just to be let on the tour is really :unsmith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sue Denim posted:

This tour gets talked about a lot and I'm amazed that I never heard anything about it when it actually happened, I wonder how successful/unsuccessful it was. Last time I saw WWE live was in 2001 and they seemed to do really well and seem to still have no problem filling arenas. The Hulkamania tour I imagine would have been composed of stars that were at their peak before American wrestling was widely accessible in Australia. Wrestling only really started to catch on here during the dying days of the Attitude era and at the time (and still is) played exclusively on cable which was only an emerging product at the time, the vast majority of Australian's didn't have cable therefore couldn't access WWE or WCW. So I'd imagine the audience for the most part would have no idea who most of the performers eg the Nasty Boys were because they were stars before Australian's could watch them on TV or they are up and comers who had little exposure to Australian fans.

The idea of Flair telling Hogan he'll job to him in ever match just to be let on the tour is really :unsmith:

It was in the fall of 2009. It was a huge flop. The best houses they did were half full buildings but in a few cities the buildings were 1/3 or 1/4 full. This is also after offering discounts and basically giving tickets away.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Sue Denim posted:

The Hulkamania tour I imagine would have been composed of stars that were at their peak before American wrestling was widely accessible in Australia.

To be fair, the line-up actually a fairly recent selection of washed-up terrible wrestlers!

Hulk Hogan
Ric Flair
Eugene
The Godfather
Shannon Moore
The Nasty Boys
Gangrel
Brutus Beefcake
Heidenreich
Mr Kennedy
Val Venis
Rikishi
Brian Christopher
Orlando Jordan
Matt Cross
Rosey
Lacey von Erich
Umaga

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I forgot that Hogan killed Umaga.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

elf help book posted:

I forgot that Hogan killed Umaga.

Actually, Umagas opponent on the tour was Ken Anderson. Ken Anderson killed Eddie Guerrero and Umaga. This man, Ken Anderson, must be stopped. Right after this TNA run...

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Tyma posted:

To be fair, the line-up actually a fairly recent selection of washed-up terrible wrestlers!

Hulk Hogan
Ric Flair
Eugene
The Godfather
Shannon Moore
The Nasty Boys
Gangrel
Brutus Beefcake
Heidenreich
Mr Kennedy
Val Venis
Rikishi
Brian Christopher
Orlando Jordan
Matt Cross
Rosey
Lacey von Erich
Umaga

I like how it's just a huge list of former WWE wrestlers and then suddenly Matt Cross. Also Lacey Von Erich.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You hear of SMW being home of some "Great Southern Style Tag Wrestling".

Question: What is "Southern Style" tag wrestling exactly, and how does it differ from other styles of tag wrestling.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Tyma posted:

Oh okay, that seems okay for an Australian audience. I think more people would be familiar with those names than they would be of the currently active roster in WWE.

Australia's still a silly choice for touring, wrestling has such a small pool of fans here, I'm surprised the WWE manage to have successful tours here let alone a company with such a minimal to non-existent global presence.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sue Denim posted:

The highlight of the tour was Hogan making the sports pages when he held a press conference for the tour and Flair came out and argued with him and they got into a brawl with Hogan blading.

The back pages all had Hogan looking miserable with blood running down his face with all the stories going "We don't know if this is real or not, but it's on!"

You could get into wrestling if you were hardcore and hired VHS tapes, or bought them. So in that regard you could get it and it wasn't like people don't know who Brett Hart and Hulk Hogan are. I had some friends who were really into it and we used to watch old tapes and play WWF Royal Rumble and such which is how I got my start when I was young (I also ran into a girl a year back who was a total Ultimate Warrior mark, i'm not sure how she watched it but you obviously could in the late 80s.)

But you are drat right, you didn't see people wearing WWF merchandise until Austin 3:16 T-Shirts. I also remember on school sports trips people would pop on WWF tapes (From Wrestlemania, or Raw or whatever) and that is when it got real mainstream down here, so it's doubtful if people knew who they all were, apart from the Hulkster and Flair.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The WCW tour of Australia near their end was a huge success that drew tons and tons of people. Hogan and Bischoff likely kept this in mind.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

I like how it's just a huge list of former WWE wrestlers and then suddenly Matt Cross. Also Lacey Von Erich.

If you listen to the Matt Cross episode of Colt Cabana's podcast then he has some great stories about that tour.

All these old WWE guys just assumed that he had been in WWE when they weren't with the company, so they would talk to him about all sorts of random WWE stuff and he would just try to play along.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

LordPants posted:

The highlight of the tour was Hogan making the sports pages when he held a press conference for the tour and Flair came out and argued with him and they got into a brawl with Hogan blading.
Can you believe some people are embarrassed about being wrestling fans?

You're right you could get VHS tapes, but it's amazing the tour had such a strong response considering programming was cable exclusive and cable was fairly new and uncommon during that time.

LividLiquid posted:

The WCW tour of Australia near their end was a huge success that drew tons and tons of people. Hogan and Bischoff likely kept this in mind.
Yeah I went to that, tickets went on sale at 9:00 a.m. for Melbourne and when I got there at 11:40 there were only around 10 seats left. That was the first time either WCW or WWE had toured Australia so I think a lot of people thought it may be the first and only time a major promotion toured so people didn't want to miss the opportunity, they would have done quite well too ring side tickets for the Nitro were $375 each.

Embarrassing Sue Denim fact: My eleven year old self had a pro-Russo fan sign

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
I'm a lapsed wrestling fan, a child who grew up in the 90s watching WWF Superstars and such over here in the UK on a Saturday afternoon. I kinda watch things now and again and on YouTube but nothing too committed. It turns out me and a friend will be visiting NYC when Wrestlemania is on. Will there be a sports bar that you Americans are so infactuated with that will be showing the event? Would be fantastic to watch a PPV in such a friendly environment. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It appears there are no BLAST AREAS in NYC, but it may be different for WM. So as o

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Isn't there a story in Death of WCW about how when WCW did Nitro in Australia they destroyed their profit margins for the tour by having something in their deal with the arena about them paying for any unsold seats, but phrasing it in such a way that they ended up paying for all the seats that were taken up by the Nitro stage? Not sure if I'm remembering this correctly.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Perry Normal posted:

Isn't there a story in Death of WCW about how when WCW did Nitro in Australia they destroyed their profit margins for the tour by having something in their deal with the arena about them paying for any unsold seats, but phrasing it in such a way that they ended up paying for all the seats that were taken up by the Nitro stage? Not sure if I'm remembering this correctly.

You are:

The Death of WCW posted:

There wasn't much to the Australian shows in terms of content, but, as expected, they all did tremendously well business-wise. In fact, every show drew at least 9,000 paid, and even Thunder completely sold out. Of course, since this was WCW, they actually managed to lose money on the tour. Apparently, the company had signed a contract with the Australian promoters saying they'd buy back any seats unused at the shows. Unfortunately, this included seats that could not be sold due to the TV production equipment. Because they ran four shows taped for TV, the faux pas resulted in WCW losing $400,000 on a tour that should otherwise have been profitable.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Wasn't that also the trip that had Juvi get high as gently caress and run around a hotel naked and get into an altercation with a cop?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
That is a total misuse of the term faux pas.

Only WCW could screw up a tour where people were so interested in their product.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Wasn't that also the trip that had Juvi get high as gently caress and run around a hotel naked and get into an altercation with a cop?

It was, indeed.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

tzirean posted:

You are:

Ah, thanks. I feel like a lazy poo poo not looking it up myself, but I have no idea where my copy of Death of WCW is.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

bobkatt013 posted:

I would honestly be surprised if that's the only time that happened.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

This is probably a really stupid question but its one of those things that nag at me - When someone wins a title belt in a wrestling promotion are they given a copy of that belt by the promotion every time and is this a common practice for each new belt they win? Were there any shoots that addressed this and are there mini-ceremonies held backstage or anything when a guy is given a belt to keep?

For some reason its a hilarious idea to me that The Rock went to highspots and had a bunch of replicas shipped to his house.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This is probably a really stupid question but its one of those things that nag at me - When someone wins a title belt in a wrestling promotion are they given a copy of that belt by the promotion every time and is this a common practice for each new belt they win? Were there any shoots that addressed this and are there mini-ceremonies held backstage or anything when a guy is given a belt to keep?

For some reason its a hilarious idea to me that The Rock went to highspots and had a bunch of replicas shipped to his house.

For what it's worth, in the 1980s NWA champions had to put a $25,000 deposit on the belt, that they'd get back once they gave back the belt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

For what it's worth, in the 1980s NWA champions had to put a $25,000 deposit on the belt, that they'd get back once they gave back the belt.

Unless they were Ric Flair, who they refused to pay back, so he took HIS belt to WWF and they realized,"Well that was loving stupid of us."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Jerusalem posted:

Unless they were Ric Flair, who they refused to pay back, so he took HIS belt to WWF and they realized,"Well that was loving stupid of us."
And then HE gave it away to Highspots! Way to go, Ric!