Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
A bunch of my old EQ (The Game That Ate My Life) friends sent me an invite to a RL reunion (in ATL) that I'm unable to attend. So I figured I'd have to play some instead. Downloading the client now, looking forward to wasting all my free hours playing again...

GoonSquad members, expect annoying tells from me soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkainn
Mar 27, 2010
I've been playing a SK/CLR duo on here, and it has been a lot of fun so far. Going to log in and see about getting a guild invite today.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I had both characters on the same account. :downs:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How active is Goon Squad? Are there any Euros on there?

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Latis posted:

How active is Goon Squad? Are there any Euros on there?

We're all freaks and play at retarded hours. There's pretty much always one or two people on.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Dane posted:

A bunch of my old EQ (The Game That Ate My Life) friends sent me an invite to a RL reunion (in ATL) that I'm unable to attend. So I figured I'd have to play some instead. Downloading the client now, looking forward to wasting all my free hours playing again...

GoonSquad members, expect annoying tells from me soon.

Ahhh, just like I remembered it. Went LD after 10 minutes. The memories...

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Dane posted:

Ahhh, just like I remembered it. Went LD after 10 minutes. The memories...

There's consistent lag that occurs at 3 AM PST every day. It's when the server backs up. Otherwise zone crashes aren't common.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Null1fy posted:

There's consistent lag that occurs at 3 AM PST every day. It's when the server backs up. Otherwise zone crashes aren't common.

That was just around then, makes sense - thanks.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
The only thing I'm not enjoying the closer I get to 65 is the amount of overgeared tier 9 dicks who will come in and round up every kobold in sorc lab or every frog in west mielC just because they can, regardless of whether you had a 6 person group there already. game still owns.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

We killed a dragon last night and convinced a bunch of pubbies to help even though the best loot (the dragon head) was already claimed. I got an ok crown out of it but it gives a bunch of mana which is always good :3

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I hate the be the guy asking for handouts, but after my fuckup with the bard and cleric on the same account, I've restarted a warrior and a cleric. Hever and Iseniur. If anyone sees me on and wants to hand down some old stuff, shoot me a tell.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Hit me up (on Bloog) and I can get you some mithril weapons and some decent newbie armor. I could also run around fully healing you after each fight and killing any adds if you need it :)

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Stealthgerbil posted:

Hit me up (on Bloog) and I can get you some mithril weapons and some decent newbie armor. I could also run around fully healing you after each fight and killing any adds if you need it :)

Thanks, I'll definitely take you up on the gear offer, and the hand-holding (if you're incredibly bored).

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Started my dorf pally/vah shaman combo, so expect tells from Drolgin or Abdallah, Goon Squad.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I think the server crapped itself during the morning backup :(

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Thanks to Stealthgerbil / Bloog, I'm now not geared like a beggar. Thanks much!

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Its my pleasure to help newbies :3

This game isn't like most mmos. Its not like WoW where a newbie cant get high level gear. Most gear has a recommended level and if you give it to a newbie the stats are proportional to the level. However some gear doesn't scale :P The best part is handing a newbie a mithiril greatsword and watching them one and two shot npcs :3

Stealthgerbil fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 11, 2011

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just made a paladin named Flormiel and I have no idea what I'm doing. Also I can't use the high-quality models because my computer only has 2048mb of RAM. :confused:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

That's a weird bug but there's a workaround: if you hit enter after selecting the high-res models, as opposed to clicking OK, it will work.

As for having no idea what you're doing, the starter's guild is an okay place for information, just type /gu to use that channel. Or you can hit someone up in Goon Squad and get tagged with us and have your questions answered there.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Is it SOP to delete replies to threads on the forum? It's no biggie and what I posted wasn't particularly interesting or insightful, but seems odd that a thread was pruned so harshly without any warning or info.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

I don't know if I'll stay, but I'm going to get on Wurlabit some this weekend just to see what's changed!

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Will buying the newest Underfoot thing on Steam for $20 allow the patcher to work? And then you just run it through the SoD patcher even though it's a steam program?

I played loads of EQ about 10 years ago...have to try this out a bit. Who can I ask for a goon squad invite?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Rogue posted:

Will buying the newest Underfoot thing on Steam for $20 allow the patcher to work? And then you just run it through the SoD patcher even though it's a steam program?

I played loads of EQ about 10 years ago...have to try this out a bit. Who can I ask for a goon squad invite?

Yes that works.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Did they ever give enchanters a role in raids other than buff bots?

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Cixx is in jail. Enchanters do things on raids.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Rogue posted:

I just / All goon 'd and asked, took all of three minutes.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

wtsnaename posted:

Cixx is in jail. Enchanters do things on raids.

I got to play an enchanter on a raid and they turn people into giants (which makes them do crazy dps). I bet they do other stuff too but since I was boxing it they were just like "you are on Gift of the Giantkin duty".

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Now's a good time to try out the game for those who are interested in playing. We've gotten a huge influx of new players. With a little motivation and work, you could catch up to some of them or, at least, if you made it to 65 you'd be able to group with people of your own caliber.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Thanks for everyone's help getting me set up with money and answering questions today, I really appreciate it!

I have a question - what specializations are good to start with for a Bard?

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01
This is exactly what I was looking for. In game as Istvaan + Asrah, ranger cleric duo.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
I really want to fund a contest to do a cover of toto's "Africa" as "Athica"
With the theme being about twinking a new player and then them dying horribly in the MoP.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

KingFisher posted:

I really want to fund a contest to do a cover of toto's "Africa" as "Athica"
With the theme being about twinking a new player and then them dying horribly in the MoP.

I'm brand new to SoD, but I've been known to write and record a game parody every now and then... (Ctrl-F 'Rogue' http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3303607) :)

I don't know what Athica is yet, but I got quite familiar with trying to navigate the MoP and dying horribly yesterday. Also that's one of my favorite songs.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Rogue posted:

I'm brand new to SoD, but I've been known to write and record a game parody every now and then... (Ctrl-F 'Rogue' http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3303607) :)

I don't know what Athica is yet, but I got quite familiar with trying to navigate the MoP and dying horribly yesterday. Also that's one of my favorite songs.

Athica is the main city people hang out in.
Mostly because it has shops open 24 hours a day.
Also an MoP portal, plus it is close to a good newly 65 dungeon Elds.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

KingFisher posted:

Athica is the main city people hang out in.
Mostly because it has shops open 24 hours a day.
Also an MoP portal, plus it is close to a good newly 65 dungeon Elds.
Because of your line breaks I thought you were writing lyrics.
Writing lyrics would have been pretty cool.
Turns out you're just bad at posting.
Do you see what I mean?

Rogue
May 11, 2002

A few questions:

1) Do items which give +% mods to percussion, stringed instruments etc. stack with the actual instrument you're playing? Or are they designed to replace the need to have an instrument out?

2) Is it possible to get people together, goons or pubbies, to kill some of the lower level Adepts?

3) As a halfelf will Oggok NPCs kill me on sight if I MoP to the city?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

In response to your questions:

1) They're designed to replace needing to have an instrument out.

2) Yes, adepts get taken down pretty regularly, but not necessarily at the hours you're playing. With that said, you can probably put together your own adept raid with as few as 6 people, assuming the players are competent and decently geared (not necessarily twinked). Consider getting player made potions to make things a bit easier!

3) Oggok should be neutral. I think the only people that need to worry about being KoS in a player city are SK's in Surefall (or near paladin/cleric guilds), and possibly Cleric/Paladins in Grobb. Someone can correct me on that last point.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

tmills posted:

In response to your questions:
Consider getting player made potions to make things a bit easier!

Are you Torleran? I am willing to bet money you are. Already trying to sell off your potions to someone who isn't even playing the game yet. That's talent.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

tmills posted:

3) Oggok should be neutral. I think the only people that need to worry about being KoS in a player city are SK's in Surefall (or near paladin/cleric guilds), and possibly Cleric/Paladins in Grobb. Someone can correct me on that last point.

Both Drolgin and Abdallah (dwf pal / vah sham) are kos in Grobb.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Yeah all good people are kos in grobb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Cool, thanks. Is there an IRC chat where some of you idle? I don't want to hog the thread with a load of newbie questions.

Couple more: are there some cheap CHA earrings/rings I can get? What's the best first suit of platemail to get (quested? bought?) Do people buy items made with baking tradeskills (if I made +stats food and listsold it)?

• Locked thread