Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The new radio should have made a world of difference. +10MB free memory is very significant when we're talking about a device with ~100MB available to the OS (with the old radio)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

On my rooted incredible running CM 6.1 I'm noticing more and more apps, particularly games, that aren't visible in my market. Most recently AirAttack HD. Is this because I'm running a custom ROM? Or is it just a CM thing? Also are there any other roms worth trying for the Incredible.

Air Attack HD shows up on mine running CM7. You could try installing it from the Market website.

MIUI is a popular rom and has a couple people making Incredible ports.
Ruby is a another ASOP rom like CM.
Virtuous is a SenseUI based rom thats near stock, only some fixes and enhancements.
SkyRader is a heavily modded rom with a SenseUI version and a Sense-less version.

There are others but I've tried these in the past and they've all been stable. All of these are available with Rom Manager.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Yea I realized that one a little late, however I am using dark tremor's app2sd script and I have a 8gb card so storage is not an issue. Has any G1 users experienced any GPS problems with the yoshi rom? I have gps/location services enabled but it cannot find my location with GPS. (google maps (app and browser) and skymap)

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Jigoku San posted:

Air Attack HD shows up on mine running CM7. You could try installing it from the Market website.

MIUI is a popular rom and has a couple people making Incredible ports.
Ruby is a another ASOP rom like CM.
Virtuous is a SenseUI based rom thats near stock, only some fixes and enhancements.
SkyRader is a heavily modded rom with a SenseUI version and a Sense-less version.

There are others but I've tried these in the past and they've all been stable. All of these are available with Rom Manager.

The market website says my phone is incompatible. Would a custom kernel cause that maybe? Just recalled I'm running one.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
When I root and flash my Evo, am I going to lose my text message history? There are some messages that I'd like to keep, but I don't think I can back them up without titanium which requires root. Tips?

edit: nm, looking at text back-up apps.

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 14, 2011

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Isaac Asimov posted:

When I root and flash my Evo, am I going to lose my text message history? There are some messages that I'd like to keep, but I don't think I can back them up without titanium which requires root. Tips?

edit: nm, looking at text back-up apps.
Unless you start flashing custom ROMs that require a data wipe you shouldn't, but SMS Backup & Restore has got you covered either way. There's another app by the same dude to backup/restore your call log as well.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Has anyone used EasyRoot for the Droid X?

Really wanting free mobile hotspot but the root process linked in the OP seems pretty involve. I'm hoping for an easier solution and EasyRoot seems to be it, if it works of course.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Lightslinger posted:

Has anyone used EasyRoot for the Droid X?

Really wanting free mobile hotspot but the root process linked in the OP seems pretty involve. I'm hoping for an easier solution and EasyRoot seems to be it, if it works of course.

The OP hasn't been updated since December since he's banned.

z4root is what you need.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Solly posted:

anyone had a chance to try out MIUI 1.3.11 properly yet, im on the fence, last time i installed miui it hosed up a whole bunch of stuff, but if its more reliable now id like to give it another go. Does it still require a swap partition on the sd card?
I'd like some feedback on this too. There's a G2 build of MIUI 1.3.11 sitting in Rom Manager and I need to know if there's some reason I shouldn't be playing around with it right now.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

inpheaux posted:

I'd like some feedback on this too. There's a G2 build of MIUI 1.3.11 sitting in Rom Manager and I need to know if there's some reason I shouldn't be playing around with it right now.

I tried it, worked perfectly. I don't know what that partitioning business is, I never did it (G2).

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

inpheaux posted:

Yeah, there's absolutely no reason now to - it's updated weekly. 1.3.11 is probably the final Froyo build, as the NS is already GB and N1/Desire are both moving to GB on Friday.

MIUI owns owns owns.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

Casao posted:

Yeah, there's absolutely no reason now to - it's updated weekly. 1.3.11 is probably the final Froyo build, as the NS is already GB and N1/Desire are both moving to GB on Friday.

MIUI owns owns owns.

If I want to get the ota gingerbead update on my desire is it better to roll it back to stock now before the update or will the htc sync rollback method take it straight to Gingerbread after friday?
I suppose its too much to ask that the stock gb rom will have proper a2sd?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Anybody had any experience running Project Elite on their OG Droid, either the 2.2 or the 2.3 builds? Some people are talking about lots of performance improvements over CyanogenMod, and I figure there's gotta be something to a ROM that's designed just for the Droid.

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

Solly posted:

If I want to get the ota gingerbead update on my desire is it better to roll it back to stock now before the update or will the htc sync rollback method take it straight to Gingerbread after friday?
I suppose its too much to ask that the stock gb rom will have proper a2sd?

MIUI will be re-based on gingerbread on Friday, the Desire won't be getting an official OTA for quite a while yet.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

MrBishi posted:

MIUI will be re-based on gingerbread on Friday, the Desire won't be getting an official OTA for quite a while yet.

drat, got my hopes up there for no reason. I take it the last froyo miui is still going to be a lot more stable than the gingerbread one? or is that not the case? and does miui still require a swap partition?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solly posted:

drat, got my hopes up there for no reason. I take it the last froyo miui is still going to be a lot more stable than the gingerbread one? or is that not the case? and does miui still require a swap partition?

MIUI doesn't require a swap partition, and hasn't since I started using it (beta 2).

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
I'm having trouble getting MIUI to work on my Evo. Cleared everything, tried two different zip files from different sources, and it just hangs on the boot screen every time.

edit: oh haha, the *.5 isn't a full install.........

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 15, 2011

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Just installed GingerVillian
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=880465
The screen off animation scared the poo poo out of me, i thought my phone had just died then I realised its not a crt anyway.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I wonder when the Honeycomb source is going to be merged into the AOSP. It's been a couple weeks since the Xoom came out, right? How long did Eclair, Froyo, and Gingerbread take to merge after their respective releases?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Urgh, just manually reinstalled all my apps to gingervillain because the google restore didnt work and appbrian long since stopped remembering which apps i have installed and now I discover that a2sd hasn't actually worked so that was a complete waste of time.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Did you not make a backup with titanium backup?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Casao posted:

MIUI owns owns owns.

So far the GB version removes the custom MIUI lockscreen in favour of the AOSP one, and puts the iPhone-alike bottom menus such as seen in Settings.apk up at the top of the screen. I hope these are temporary issues due to not modifying their framework mods to work with the updated GB versions yet.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Casao posted:

1.3.11 is probably the final Froyo build, as the NS is already GB and N1/Desire are both moving to GB on Friday.
Oh, see, I thought 1.3.11 was GB-based for all devices. Do I just need to follow the QnD thread on XDA to find out when a 2.3-based rom actually drops?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Am I missing any useful rooted apps? I've got AdFree, CacheMate, and Root Explorer.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Gyshall posted:

Am I missing any useful rooted apps? I've got AdFree, CacheMate, and Root Explorer.

The giksoft screenshot app is pretty nice, though requires root.

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--

Gyshall posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/1...ands-on-review/

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Vertigus posted:

Anybody had any experience running Project Elite on their OG Droid, either the 2.2 or the 2.3 builds? Some people are talking about lots of performance improvements over CyanogenMod, and I figure there's gotta be something to a ROM that's designed just for the Droid.

I haven't given that a shot but CM7 RC2 is working almost perfectly for me. The one big problem is that sometimes apps refuse to install.

I might try it but if you beat me to it please share your experiences!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'm considering the GSM HTC Desire partition thing where there's a smaller cache partition and a larger data partition. How I can I install this and use CM7 with it?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

Did you not make a backup with titanium backup?

I do but only for data, its not as reliable for restoring full apps, also it would take forever since I can't see a backup all option anywhere.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Solly posted:

I do but only for data, its not as reliable for restoring full apps, also it would take forever since I can't see a backup all option anywhere.

Titanium Backup works just fine for restoring full apps including market links, I've used it many, many times. And it most certainly does full backups, mine's set to do so every night automatically at 3AM while I sleep.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

inpheaux posted:

Oh, see, I thought 1.3.11 was GB-based for all devices. Do I just need to follow the QnD thread on XDA to find out when a 2.3-based rom actually drops?

Miui-dev.com <--- the only source for English roms worth a drat. Mark is a drama queen, but they're the ones putting out the translations and they're doing it within hours.

Since you have a G2, you might have to go to XDA to find an up to date rom, as it's not an official device, but MIUI-Dev.com is actually in contact with the Chinese devs so they get a lot of details first.

Neurophonic posted:

So far the GB version removes the custom MIUI lockscreen in favour of the AOSP one, and puts the iPhone-alike bottom menus such as seen in Settings.apk up at the top of the screen. I hope these are temporary issues due to not modifying their framework mods to work with the updated GB versions yet.

That sucks, the lock screen is half of the awesome. If they don't add it back, I might not get GB :(

Solly posted:

It's plenty reliable for restoring full apps, and batch backups are part of the Premium version I believe - I know batch restore is.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Solly posted:

Under "Backup/Restore," hit the menu button and select "Batch." Choose "Backup all user apps + system data."

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Titanium Backup suffers from the same "too many options/poor user interface" issues that Tasker does. It's great once you get used to it, but getting to that point has a bit of a learning curve to it.

As an aside, ever since they added dropbox support, I've been hoping/wishing they would add "sync to dropbox" as a schedulable action. I have scheduled backups, but being able to tell it to sync at 4am every Tuesday or whatever would be awesome.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I just bought an OG droid from ebay and upgraded from my HTC eris. What a HUGE difference there are between these phones. I can only imagine how much of a boost it would be to goto a 1ghz phone.

I'd really like root and install a rom but I really am not seeing the benefit apart from being able to use my phone as a hotspot, which I've never really found myself in a position for needing.

Main thing that I'm worried about though is getting roms that the wifi doesn't work or the battery gets destroyed. Should I just stay happy with my 2.2.1 or will it make any difference for me to root/rom?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

brc64 posted:

Titanium Backup suffers from the same "too many options/poor user interface" issues that Tasker does. It's great once you get used to it, but getting to that point has a bit of a learning curve to it.

As an aside, ever since they added dropbox support, I've been hoping/wishing they would add "sync to dropbox" as a schedulable action. I have scheduled backups, but being able to tell it to sync at 4am every Tuesday or whatever would be awesome.

Yeah, it's not the best user interface, but it's damned powerful. I think it's significantly easier than Tasker, though.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Casao posted:

Yeah, it's not the best user interface, but it's damned powerful. I think it's significantly easier than Tasker, though.

Have you tried Tasker recently? They've made some tweaks to the interface over time, and it seems a little bit easier to understand now. I honestly can't tell how much of that is just me getting used to it, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as I remember starting out.

The biggest tip I can give anybody using Tasker is to click the ? button in the top corner when looking at a setting. The Help descriptions are REALLY useful (most of the time).

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

brc64 posted:

Have you tried Tasker recently? They've made some tweaks to the interface over time, and it seems a little bit easier to understand now. I honestly can't tell how much of that is just me getting used to it, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as I remember starting out.

The biggest tip I can give anybody using Tasker is to click the ? button in the top corner when looking at a setting. The Help descriptions are REALLY useful (most of the time).

No, I haven't - every time I try to use it, I remember "Oh, wait, I can do the same thing in Setting Profiles for 1/8th of the work"

Only thing that's got me thinking about converting is so that I can set it to not auto-silence during on call.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

rotaryfun posted:

I just bought an OG droid from ebay and upgraded from my HTC eris. What a HUGE difference there are between these phones. I can only imagine how much of a boost it would be to goto a 1ghz phone.

I'd really like root and install a rom but I really am not seeing the benefit apart from being able to use my phone as a hotspot, which I've never really found myself in a position for needing.

Main thing that I'm worried about though is getting roms that the wifi doesn't work or the battery gets destroyed. Should I just stay happy with my 2.2.1 or will it make any difference for me to root/rom?

I can't really remember what it's like to run stock, my friend is doing it and complains about the battery a lot. Even if you don't want to put a custom rom on your phone rooting is really nice for being able to overclock/underclock. Saves battery and really helps boost performance. You're probably already happy with the speed after coming from an eris but it could be better!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Is there a way to change the Low On Space warning size? I'm sick of the browser cache running over the limit and having to uninstal things so GMail will start loving syncing again*. 50 MB (10%!) seems like too much empty space to have to keep around on the internal storage. 25-20 seems more reasonable.

*If I can force GMail to sync in spite of an oh-so-scary low space warning, that'd be fine, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Thornes posted:

You're probably already happy with the speed after coming from an eris but it could be better!

This is pretty much the state I'm in now. It's pretty euphoric just how much snappier everything is with the OG Droid.

Have a lot of issues come up with over clocking the phones? I saw the other day that someone over clocked their OG Droid to 900MHz, which seems pretty ridiculous seeing as how it's at 550MHz now even though it's a 600MHz processor. What about overheating and the other stuff that you worry about when over clocking?