Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm still saddened Brian Blessed never took an interest in history after doing Blackadder, that would have been incredible.

What's that, Edna?

It's hard to believe he's 74 (and still wants to carry on climbing mountains!) - the day he goes is the day the nation becomes a quieter, sadder place :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

goatface posted:

Every history student I've known has thought that Starkey is a bit of a oval office, but acceptable because he's not Schama.

What's wrong with Schama? is it the arm waving?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

cloudchamber posted:

Why? They're reporting developing news.

But they aren't. They're reporting OMG ATOMS, when there's an almost unimaginable catastrophe ongoing.

They aren't covering the disasters at the fossil fuel storage areas and power plants that are out of control. They have relegated the tsunami to the second string of news. They spent all of yesterday focussed almost entirely on Chernobyl II, despite the fact that a Chernobyl event cannot happen here and the realistic worst case scenario at those reactors is that there are some reactors sealed up and written off.
They've also been ignoring/not reporting statements from the Japanese authorities about what is going on.

They are chasing the SyFy Original Meltdown Apocalypse story. Fearmongering because tsunamis are presumably a bit old hat now. It is irresponsible, and given the context, disgusting.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 13, 2011

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

goatface posted:

Every history student I've known has thought that Starkey is a bit of a oval office, but acceptable because he's not Schama.

I heard Mark make a comment like this on Peep Show, why are they disliked? Is it a 'popular on telly' thing? I don't really watch either, so I'm not personally hurt or anything.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

Why? They're reporting developing news.

They're turning it into 'Nukes are bad' instead of 'people died'. Not one of which has died from radiation.

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

Fat Turkey posted:

I heard Mark make a comment like this on Peep Show, why are they disliked? Is it a 'popular on telly' thing? I don't really watch either, so I'm not personally hurt or anything.

Simon Schama is a vocal proponent of Israel and its policies, always keen to evoke images of the holocaust when people get a bit too critical.

David Starkey is an ethnocentrist Tory historian who thinks Britain is "losing its culture" and wants to redress this by farting on about Tudors in school. He loves nationalism if it's about England and Britain, but if it's Scottish or anybody else then they're all for shite as far as he can tell. Basically, he's a reactionary grandfather that you bring to the christmas table because you have to, then listen to him spittle over the turkey about immigrants ruining our proud island nation (we were an empire once!!!).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Daimo posted:

They're turning it into 'Nukes are bad' instead of 'people died'. Not one of which has died from radiation.

Today their science correspondent is trying to suggest the crane operator who died at Fukishima Daiichi might have died from ATOMS, despite the Japanese having said already that he died as a direct result of the quake but they had only recovered the body last night.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm still saddened Brian Blessed never took an interest in history after doing Blackadder, that would have been incredible.

He narrates the odd DVD. We sell one at work about the Romans.

e: Here it is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roman-Invasions-Britain-DVD/dp/B0002XOZI8

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 13, 2011

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The release has been estimated as your normal yearly dose in three hours. It was a short release.

So the people around there have probably gained about as much extra radiation as an air hostess would over the year.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I scanned Saturdays Sun* to see its reporting on the quake and compared to that even the crap the BBC is coming out with is great reporting.

The Sun is a disgusting rag for disgusting people.

* it was on the table already.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Today their science correspondent is trying to suggest the crane operator who died at Fukishima Daiichi might have died from ATOMS, despite the Japanese having said already that he died as a direct result of the quake but they had only recovered the body last night.

It's amazingly diabolic how they are able to say two different things in the same sentence and retain a tone of sincerity as if they're reporting honestly.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Kin posted:

It's amazingly diabolic how they are able to say two different things in the same sentence and retain a tone of sincerity as if they're reporting honestly.

If there's one things journalists don't give a poo poo about, it's science. Look at MMR.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's because they're all arts graduates who've not done any sort of science since they were 16. Even most of the science correspondents. It's why you see them interview actual scientists who have to correct every other statement or have a go at them for spouting blatant untruths.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Metrication posted:

If there's one things journalists don't give a poo poo about, it's science. Look at MMR.

Or names. There's some correspondant they've got on the news now who thinks there's a Peter Manning being detained for leaking the cables to wikileaks.

You don't even have to whip out the MMR bollocks, you can go back to January just there to see them try and exaggerate the danger from a flu "epidemic" over the winter which (IIRC) caused the deaths of something like 0.0000004% of the country's population. This was despite them conducting interviews with doctors who constantly told them "it was within normal levels".

gently caress the news in our country. It's so unprofessional an irresponsible that it's loving disgusting.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

gently caress the news in our country. It's so unprofessional an irresponsible that it's loving disgusting.

The only people more loathsome than the news media are politicians, but not by much.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

And it's still better than most of the rest of the world's!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Graviton v2 posted:

I suspect at some point iPlayer is going to want you register and tap in your TV licsense number and address. I mean I rarely watch actual TV, on demand is just better in every way unless you are one of those people who just likes the box on 24/7 and can put up with all the poo poo (most programs).

What's the quality like on the iPlayer? Can't get it here (Ireland) but can get 4od and while it's handy to have, the quality isn't anywhere near as good as TV.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

goatface posted:

And it's still better than most of the rest of the world's!

I take it by rest of the world you really mean America? I've not really got much experience in regards to Europe's different news, but i doubt it's as bad as ours.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Mickolution posted:

What's the quality like on the iPlayer? Can't get it here (Ireland) but can get 4od and while it's handy to have, the quality isn't anywhere near as good as TV.

Same as youtube on 1080p.

Actually thats a lie, its 480p for most things and only some are HD.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Kin posted:

Or names. There's some correspondant they've got on the news now who thinks there's a Peter Manning being detained for leaking the cables to wikileaks.

One more step and we'll be able to implicate Bernard Manning...

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

spincube posted:

What's that, Edna?

It's hard to believe he's 74 (and still wants to carry on climbing mountains!) - the day he goes is the day the nation becomes a quieter, sadder place :(

Instead of a minutes silence for Brian, I think a minute of continuous shouting would serve his legacy much better.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

And while I'm here, I would like to like Wonders of the Universe, because it is essentially good, it just has so much padding it is a little bit embarassing.

Somehow I doubt Brian Cox, when he delievers his university lectures, walks slowly to a corner of the room with music playing, makes a point, then walks slowly across the room with music playing, makes another point, then walks slowly etc etc.

He doesn't really need to go to four exotic places an episode.

You dick. You've ruined it :(

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

A5H posted:

You dick. You've ruined it :(

I think the more glaring thing is that he seems to be talking like a small child trying to do a talk (on gold at the minute).

Here's a fact about gold
*pause*
It's gold and it does that.
*pause*
Some people have done stuff with gold.
*pause*

edit: you know what i'd like to see. A blend of a sci-fi/educational TV show.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done before, but it would be a series based on a group of astronauts launching on the first galaxy expedition. It would be a mix of fiction and reality with the fiction more or less being the technology that lets them travel fast and explore and reality being the analysis they do on each of the planets/stars/asteroids/etc in the galaxy.

I imagine it as being this wonders of the universe, but instead of a random science guy weakly narrating it, you've got a cast of actors in a series of sets(possibly made up of real scientists) physically going out there and studying it first hand.

Throw in some other fiction tropes (signs of alien life, etc) possibly with a more realistic spin such as finding baceria somewhere else, etc and i think we'd have a winner.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 13, 2011

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Kin posted:

I think the more glaring thing is that he seems to be talking like a small child trying to do a talk (on gold at the minute).

Here's a fact about gold
*pause*
It's gold and it does that.
*pause*
Some people have done stuff with gold.
*pause*

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done before, but it would be a series based on a group of astronauts launching on the first galaxy expedition. It would be a mix of fiction and reality with the fiction more or less being the technology that lets them travel fast and explore and reality being the analysis they do on each of the planets/stars/asteroids/etc in the galaxy.

I imagine it as being this wonders of the universe, but instead of a random science guy weakly narrating it, you've got a cast of actors in a series of sets(possibly made up of real scientists) physically going out there and studying it first hand.

Throw in some other fiction tropes (signs of alien life, etc) possibly with a more realistic spin such as finding baceria somewhere else, etc and i think we'd have a winner.

There was a show similar to that called Space Odyssey.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

Nobody would want to watch the months of delicate experimental work followed by the months of data analysis and theory checking.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kin posted:

This was the original idea behind Doctor Who. Futuristic episodes would teach about science, historical ones would teach history. But then the Daleks were so popular they pretty much dropped the educational stuff in favour of more monsters.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I remember something they did which included a relatively realistic exploration of the solar system but for the love of me I can't remember what it was called...

:negative:

or it was any good.

Edit: AHA!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Odyssey:_Voyage_To_The_Planets

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 14, 2011

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Ha, not only was the last episode of Outcasts just as pants as the rest of it, it also ended on a cliff-hanger. Wishful loving thinking there.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

Flatscan posted:

Ha, not only was the last episode of Outcasts just as pants as the rest of it, it also ended on a cliff-hanger. Wishful loving thinking there.

It really was awful, I don't know why I kept watching it :sigh:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

goatface posted:

Nobody would want to watch the months of delicate experimental work followed by the months of data analysis and theory checking.

You needent show that kind of stuff. You could just try and intertwine the stuff that's in educational shows with a sci-fi plot.

Science Mcguffin the transportation and don't show the super deep intricate stuff behind the science. Mention it, sure, and show them working on it in the background or whatever, but as long as it's simply referenced accurately they could more or less jump straight to conclusion of all the work.

Ratjaculation posted:

I remember something they did which included a relatively realistic exploration of the solar system but for the love of me I can't remember what it was called...

:negative:

or it was any good.

Edit: AHA!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Odyssey:_Voyage_To_The_Planets

That sounds kinda cool, i wish i'd managed to catch it. Was it actually any good?

With the distinct lack of any decent sci-fi on TV at the moment (and with all attempts being pissed away by idiots that don't know how to write a story, never mind a sci-fi one) we desperately need something good before thre genre is abandoned to make way for crime dramas and reality TV bollocks.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Flatscan posted:

I'm going to watch it on Monday but let me guess: that ship?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Brian Cox walking dramatically away from an explosion made me laugh for about a minute straight.

I love that man :allears:

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Daimo posted:

I'm going to watch it on Monday but let me guess: that ship?

Bingo.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Faithless posted:

True story - When I was a kid my family was on The Big Breakfast as the family of the week twice. During this period I apparently had a brawl with Peaches Geldoff. I wish I could remember it, I hope I punched her in the face.

Also Chris Evans covered my 6 year old self in a bag of flour. One day I will get vengeance.

If memory serves, they used to make out the family lived in the house for the week? Is that right? That they made that out, and also, did you live there or in a B&B?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

eating only apples posted:

Brian Cox walking dramatically away from an explosion made me laugh for about a minute straight.

I love that man :allears:

It reminded me of something from Breaking Bad.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
Are they even putting Wonders of the Universe on the iPlayer in HD? I waited until about Thursday last week and it still wasn't up. I thought they were maybe waiting until most people had watched it in SD to save bandwidth but obviously not.

SAZattack
Dec 26, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm working as a teaching assistant at a Spanish school and the teacher asked me to recommend some good British TV programmes suitable for 12-16 year olds that the kids at the school might enjoy watching. Can you recommend any to me?

I honestly haven't got a clue what to recommend, besides Doctor Who, and I've been told by my boyfriend that you guys should be able to help me out!

Thanks in advance!

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

SAZattack posted:

Hey guys,

I'm working as a teaching assistant at a Spanish school and the teacher asked me to recommend some good British TV programmes suitable for 12-16 year olds that the kids at the school might enjoy watching. Can you recommend any to me?

I honestly haven't got a clue what to recommend, besides Doctor Who, and I've been told by my boyfriend that you guys should be able to help me out!

Thanks in advance!

Horrible Histories? I'm Sorry I Haven't Got A Head? Those are both good funny recent kids shows. How good is their English?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Maybe David Attenborough documentries, he speaks slowly, and describes what is happening on the screen, plus they are visually engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SAZattack posted:

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

Father Ted.

I just want loads of little Spanish kids speaking English with an Irish accent and saying "feck" a lot.