Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

PoopinClumpin posted:

I think if your ordered the knob from the dealer it would have the boot attached. I'm not sure about your other question. But I think it would be best to assume the worst. Maybe consider getting a replacement boot+knob from a parts yard?

The boot and knob will be a one piece affair. If you want to spend some time and effort you could probably figure out a way to mate an aftermarket knob to the OEM boot but it would take some experimentation to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

my1999gsr posted:

I don't have access to the tow stats for your car right now but having a hitch won't effect your warranty UNLESS the installer tampers with the wiring for the exterior lighting. Since you only want the hitch for your bike rack the wiring shouldn't be a problem. The only other warranty problem you could run into is if the hitch support has to be removed to repair a seperate problem but odds are that won't be an issue either.

Thanks. This is what I figured. I was considering the Volvo C30, and one of the reasons is that they actually publish a tow spec. The aftermarket hitch for the Golf bolts on with 4 bolts/no cutting, so I've seen some people plan on removing it when bringing it in for service if they were paranoid.

DropShadow posted:

The dealer wouldn't care. Hell, they may even try to sell you one. My father-in-law just put a hitch on his 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI to tow his jetski, no issues from the dealer. One question though, does it have to be a hitch rack? Installing a hitch just to haul bikes seems like wasted money when a roof rack gives you more flexibility.

I think the sportwagen actually has a tow spec published - class 1 I think. I realize they're pretty much the same car, but seeing an official spec for the Golf would ease my mind. I have mountain/freeride bikes, that aren't the lightest to lift overhead. Mud and fork technology also aren't great for some roof designs. I also already have a hitch rack from my now dearly-departed 2000 A4.

Thanks!

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes
Just got my 2.7T back in after a grueling engine pull. Now I'm leaking oil - it's dripping from the rear of the engine where the bellhousing meets the block. I stuck my finger up in the bellhousing and the flywheel and what little bits I could feel didn't have oil on them, so I'm REALLY hoping that it isn't the rear main seal. If it is, I'll probably just keep putting oil in it every week because I am NOT loving pulling that thing anytime again in the near future.

Any other ideas as to what it could be? I replaced the valve cover gaskets, half-moon gaskets, and the cam caps when I had the engine out.

edit: Also, I had it on a hoist for about five months while it wasn't in the car and there didn't appear to be anything dripping from the rear main seal. When I pulled the bellypan off the car, there was a 10mm bolt and nut laying in it.

Neon Machete fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 14, 2011

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
They have a top rack for bikes listed on the driver gear website for the golf. There is an item for the hitch mount, but I don't know if that is available for golf. Either way it says that has to be installed by the dealer and doesn't list the price so I would just ask them. They might toss it in for free during negotiation instead of dropping the car price more if you ask.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Hey dudes, I'm new to this thread and was hoping somebody who's been following it could tell me whether anybody has covered tagging for the internal jukebox in 3rd gen MMI? It's times like this when I really miss the thread search feature. But if somebody can point me to a general page range I don't mind to flip through by hand.

If this hasn't been covered, here's a summary of my question: just how the gently caress does 3rg gen MMI want me to tag music? I have everything cleanly tagged in iTunes, but after importing some stuff comes out as Unknown Artist, some genres are coming out of nowhere, some albums are sorted alphabetically instead of by track. Does it prefer ID3v1 or v2 for MP3? Does it have limitations with certain AAC atoms? How can I make this bitch happy? I know I can just plug my iPhone into the glovebox, but I'd like to get my favorite 10 gigs on the MMI hard drive to supplement what's on my phone without chewing up all the space. I'm new to MMI (my 2011 A4 has 42 miles on it so far) so any guidance or links would be greatly appreciated. Google has directed me to some raggedy assed Audi forums full of speculation and poor technical knowledge.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Beelzebozo posted:

MMI stuff

Almost all the the problems I have had can be solved by making sure the MP3s have either ID3v1 or ID3v2 tags, but not both. I have noticed it defaults to alphabetical by track title if the track tags are in a format like "5/10" instead of just "05". So try to include leading zeroes and get rid of the "/". This usually gets things to show up in the proper order.

In other cases like "Unknown Artist"; opening the MP3 files in MP3Tag and being certain to rewrite the tags and save them seems to solve those problems.

Most of this stuff leads me to believe that some ripping/tagging software (or built in OS tag utilities) handles the ID3 specifications in better ways than others and the MMI is just really sensitive to this.

No idea about AAC stuff.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Neon Machete posted:

Just got my 2.7T back in after a grueling engine pull. Now I'm leaking oil - it's dripping from the rear of the engine where the bellhousing meets the block. I stuck my finger up in the bellhousing and the flywheel and what little bits I could feel didn't have oil on them, so I'm REALLY hoping that it isn't the rear main seal. If it is, I'll probably just keep putting oil in it every week because I am NOT loving pulling that thing anytime again in the near future.

Any other ideas as to what it could be? I replaced the valve cover gaskets, half-moon gaskets, and the cam caps when I had the engine out.

edit: Also, I had it on a hoist for about five months while it wasn't in the car and there didn't appear to be anything dripping from the rear main seal. When I pulled the bellypan off the car, there was a 10mm bolt and nut laying in it.

I know it's a pain in the rear end, but can you post a pic? Are your oil supply and drain lines from the turbos tight and gasketed?

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Neon Machete posted:

Just got my 2.7T back in after a grueling engine pull. :words:

Could this perhaps be useful?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

Audi MMI Stuff.

This is on a VW Golf 2010.
I'm having a similar problem because I have tracks with non-standard characters, but otherwise my ID3v1 tags show up (other than the usual why was this not in ISO9881 or Unicode). You are best off re-tagging, I believe ID3v1 is standard (my ID3v1 tags show up fine)

I have weird characters show up for song names (again, not in iso9881) but that hasn't lead to having album names being mixed into song names/genres etc.

Maybe try with a smaller amount of songs first?

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I have an RNS-E and far too many tunes on my SD cards show up as "þ" in my dash display... not quite sure why it happens to display an old norse character when the song title can't be taken from the ID3 tag.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I just noticed something odd on my new GTI today. I was driving along on a smooth road going about 25 MPH and my radio just completely died for a couple of seconds. It came right back on, but it has me a bit worried about electrical gremlins.

I guess I'll add it to the short list of things to take care of with the 90 day checkup.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smax posted:

I guess I'll add it to the short list of things to take care of with the 90 day checkup.
What else have you come up with? I'm hoping to do some test-driving this weekend. :)

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What else have you come up with? I'm hoping to do some test-driving this weekend. :)

It's mainly technical service bulletin stuff. My rear washer leaks occasionally, the diverter valve actuator rod rattles (pretty loudly) under load from 1800-3000 RPM, I may also ask them about a rattle or two if I can't find it myself.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Beelzebozo posted:

If this hasn't been covered, here's a summary of my question: just how the gently caress does 3rg gen MMI want me to tag music? I have everything cleanly tagged in iTunes, but after importing some stuff comes out as Unknown Artist, some genres are coming out of nowhere, some albums are sorted alphabetically instead of by track. Does it prefer ID3v1 or v2 for MP3?

iTunes MP3 tagger is horribly broken for some reason.

Right (control-) click on a track, use Convert ID3 tag, and set it to version 2.3. (None of the other versions worked, in my experience). Then, use something like id3info (part of id3lib, http://id3lib.sourceforge.net/) to verify that the information was written properly.

No idea if this will work for you with MMI, but it worked when I carried my iTunes library to Amarok at work.

Jook
Jul 16, 2002
2009 Audi A3 with 23k miles on it. Took it in for service and they want to replace the rear rotors/pads for nearly $500.

The front brakes are perfectly fine, the rear they say "they wouldn't recommend driving more than 1000 more miles on as they're so low".

$500? Pads AND Rotors? Only 23k miles? I'm so confused.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Jook posted:

2009 Audi A3 with 23k miles on it. Took it in for service and they want to replace the rear rotors/pads for nearly $500.

The front brakes are perfectly fine, the rear they say "they wouldn't recommend driving more than 1000 more miles on as they're so low".

wait, the fronts are fine and the rears are shot? do you spend your entire commute driving backwards? :psyduck:

Go get a second opinion.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Quick one - am I right in thinking passats before 2005 were front engine/rear wheel drive?

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes

my1999gsr posted:

I know it's a pain in the rear end, but can you post a pic? Are your oil supply and drain lines from the turbos tight and gasketed?

Yeah, both lines are tight and have gaskets where they connect to the turbos. The driver side line has a bit of oil on it where it connects to the oil pan but is otherwise dry (this isn't where it's dripping from so I'm led to believe that the leak is just dripping onto it here) The passenger side is completely dry. Here are the best pics I could get together.

Oil accumulating and dripping from the bottom of the bellhousing and subframe

Oil accumulating and dripping from the oil lines below the bellhousing/the transmission pan

Oil accumulating on the oil pan (the drain plug is tight!)

More oil on the side of the oil pan, and a bit on the bottom of the driver side turbo oil line

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Jook posted:

Front the Japanese side, tons of modern 4-wheel disc cars wear this way. Tiny pads, and small unvented rotors take a lot more wear than their larger versions up front.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Quick one - am I right in thinking passats before 2005 were front engine/rear wheel drive?

Nope front engine FWD.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I'm about to install a Fiscon bluetooth unit ("basic plus") in my A4. The instructions seem to recommend installing the microphone so that it sticks out from the A pillar and I really don't get why when it would seem much more logical (and better looking) to have it come out from the top center of the instrument cluster.

Now I'm aware that this requires cutting a groove big enough for the microphone wire, but I have a small spiral saw so that shouldn't be a problem. Has anyone else ever tried this?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Thumposaurus posted:

Nope front engine FWD.

Were any Passats F/R? My memory might be playing tricks on me but I'm sure I remember my dad replacing the engine in his Passat & it was longitudinal.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Some FWD cars have a longitudinally-placed engine, like the Audi A4 FrontTrak (which I think used to share quite a few things with the Passat).

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

minivanmegafun posted:

wait, the fronts are fine and the rears are shot? do you spend your entire commute driving backwards? :psyduck:

Go get a second opinion.

Welcome to VAG. Our 2008 jetta had the rear pads wear out at 45k, fronts are still fine. The guy at the dealership said it was common and 45k was better than most did on the rears. :psyduck:

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
My '03 Elantra is the same way with brake pads, for what it's worth.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
So I got the Fiscon bluetooth unit installed. It's paired with my phone, it's even retrived the phone book, but now every time I try and either initiate a call or start streaming music my RNS-E goes on mute! :psyduck: and that can't be overriden. I did all the programming correctly I think, the phone connection is recognized and the steering wheel buttons work.

Has anyone else had this problem?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

Nope front engine FWD.

Or Quattro/4motion.

scheissmacht
Oct 23, 2000

my1999gsr posted:

Or Quattro/4motion.

Syncro from '84-'93(?) I think, then FWD only until 4motion was introduced in '97

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

smax posted:

I just noticed something odd on my new GTI today. I was driving along on a smooth road going about 25 MPH and my radio just completely died for a couple of seconds. It came right back on, but it has me a bit worried about electrical gremlins.

Ask them to scan for codes (or just bring it up and they will know what to do), if anything is wrong chances are it will show up. What do you mean by completely died, by the way - just sound or did the whole headunit/display shut down?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Ask them to scan for codes (or just bring it up and they will know what to do), if anything is wrong chances are it will show up. What do you mean by completely died, by the way - just sound or did the whole headunit/display shut down?

The whole headunit died.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Yeah, I'd be moderately concerned about that, not sure if this can affect other electrics in the car but I wouldn't want to take any chances.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Yeah, I'd be moderately concerned about that, not sure if this can affect other electrics in the car but I wouldn't want to take any chances.

Yeah, I'm curious to see if it'll do it again or if it's reproducible in any way. Eh, I have 6 years worth of warranty, if it dies they should cover it.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

When my steering control module started shorting out, the car refused to start once and then didn't do it again for like 2 months. I went to the dealer after it happened again though, which turned out to be a good thing since I guess the faulty module could have left me stranded somewhere if it wasn't fixed. If you have a dealership nearby then you can stop by and they can scan for codes very quickly.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
my1999gsr

Finally got around to messing with my parking brake.

It seems like the right cable is not engaging the brake. The right cable does not retract by itself.... which of course led to both cables slipping out of the yoke.

For a tempoary fix I taped the left cable into the yoke, simply to prevent the cable from falling out.

I adjusted the brake to where with 4 "clicks" I could still push the car easily. With 6 "clicks" engaged I couldn't budge the car.

Is there anything wrong or dangerous with what I did?

At first it seemed like maybe the brakes were not working as well... but it was probably just in my head... but did my "fix" effect normal braking at all?

How hard is replacing the right cable? I looked under the car briefly and nothing really jumped out at me. I did some reading and I guess I need to remove the tire, etc. maybe it will become more clear once I do that.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

my1999gsr

Finally got around to messing with my parking brake.

It seems like the right cable is not engaging the brake. The right cable does not retract by itself.... which of course led to both cables slipping out of the yoke.

For a tempoary fix I taped the left cable into the yoke, simply to prevent the cable from falling out.

I adjusted the brake to where with 4 "clicks" I could still push the car easily. With 6 "clicks" engaged I couldn't budge the car.

Is there anything wrong or dangerous with what I did?

At first it seemed like maybe the brakes were not working as well... but it was probably just in my head... but did my "fix" effect normal braking at all?

How hard is replacing the right cable? I looked under the car briefly and nothing really jumped out at me. I did some reading and I guess I need to remove the tire, etc. maybe it will become more clear once I do that.

It's very simple to replace the parking brake cable. Pull off the wheel, remove the metal clip that holds the cable to the parking brake lever on the caliper, unclip the 2 ties that secure the cable to the axle and body and pull the plastic guide tube out of the metal tube where the brake cable goes. Usually the plastic collar is rusted into the metal tube so I use a torch or heat gun to soften it up a little. Usually I clip the new cable into the caliper and then loosen off the 10mm nut for the yoke on the parking brake cable enough to get the new cable into it. With both cables tensioned, the brakes shouldn't drag but with the parking brake at 3 "clicks" you shouldn't be able to push the car if it's in neutral. If I'm in a hurry I can usually do both cables in about 30 minutes but that's with a lift.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
my1999gsr -- they're reporting over on golfmk5 that VW is extending the factory warranty for the cam follower and damage done by cam follower wear out to 120k. confirm / deny / details?

http://golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144169

insta
Jan 28, 2009
And would that apply to the cam on the mk5 TDIs? Those things are apparently notorious for wearing as well.

Meanie
Jul 2, 2007
I'm after a black glovebox lid for an Audi A4 2004.
Do you guys know about any good stores in which I can find one?

It could be used, as long it's in good condition.
So far I'm finding only 250 bucks OEM parts, ugh. It's jut the lid I'm fater, not the whole glovebox.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I am looking at purchasing a 2011 Golf TDI (manual). I have a 2 hour commute, 5 days a week, and even with diesel being more than the price of gas, I'll still save about a grand a year in gas.

My concern is maintenance on the vehicle. I'll put upwards of 30K+ per year on the car, so I'm going to burn through standard maintenance faster than a "normal" driver. I couldn't find any service schedule over 30K miles online, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

What am I looking at in terms of service? The oil changes every 10K miles I'm already aware of, but what about other services? I've never owned a diesel or a VW before, so this is completely new ground for me. I'd rather not purchase the car and find that I'm actually deeper in the hole because of more expensive service requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

primitive posted:

my1999gsr -- they're reporting over on golfmk5 that VW is extending the factory warranty for the cam follower and damage done by cam follower wear out to 120k. confirm / deny / details?

http://golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144169

So far there's nothing on my warranty extensions datebase to cover the pump and follower, at least here in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised to see it though - I just diag'd an A4 with a wrecked cam and pump.