Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Yakattak posted:

I'm thinking of buying an Impreza WRX, however I refuse to buy the '02/'03 simply because of the headlights. While looking for WRXes though, a friend of mine offered me his 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS, it has a rebuilt engine, stage 2 clutch, brakes, calipers, slotted rotors from a 2007 STI, as well as a TSI Extreme Turbo kit which was installed when the engine was rebuilt. It has custom downpiping for a front mounted intercooler but, and I know Subaru's shouldn't have them, but it has a TSI blow off valve. It also has a Greddy Evo2 exhaust as well as stainless steel oil/water lines. Also to make it more STI like it has both front and rear 2007 STI seats.

My questions are, is the BOV that detrimental to the 2.5 RS, also what is the asking price for a car like this with all those mods?

e: Woops, the car has 124,000 miles on it total, but about 20k on the rebuilt engine.

I am not sure why people would say that Subarus shouldn't have front mounts. Untuned Subarus shouldn't have front mounts because the MAF will read air before it gets to the throttle body (significantly longer than with a top mount), but this can be tuned around pretty easily. The previous owner put an aftermarket BOV on my car which I just took off last night. Fixed my boost error problem and now I have made more boost using the stock BPV as a BOV. That said when I close throttle my -narrowband- AFR 1 is like 25. Obviously I dont know much about tuning but this seems just a tad lean. Also something I could probably tune around as I mess with the car more...I'll probably just find the pipe and recirculate it though. Why not just go recirculate your BOV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Lord Gaga posted:

I am not sure why people would say that Subarus shouldn't have front mounts. Untuned Subarus shouldn't have front mounts because the MAF will read air before it gets to the throttle body (significantly longer than with a top mount), but this can be tuned around pretty easily. The previous owner put an aftermarket BOV on my car which I just took off last night. Fixed my boost error problem and now I have made more boost using the stock BPV as a BOV. That said when I close throttle my -narrowband- AFR 1 is like 25. Obviously I dont know much about tuning but this seems just a tad lean. Also something I could probably tune around as I mess with the car more...I'll probably just find the pipe and recirculate it though. Why not just go recirculate your BOV?

Sorry, the way I worded that is stupid. I was talking about the BOV when I said "I know Subarus shouldn't have them."

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Yea they're not really a big deal or anything. My car goes way lean but I'm closed throttle anyway so eh. Prob better just to recirculate though.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Yakattak posted:

a friend of mine offered me his 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS,

Look at the bluebook value for the car in a comparative condition, make sure you know for a fact it's mechanically sound and offer him something based on bluebook +/- whatever you think. Putting mods on your car is throwing money away and everyone knows it, adding mods is not adding value to the car.

The BOV shouldn't have damaged anything severely as far as I know.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I seafoamed my '02 wrx wagon with 118k miles on it, someone called the fire department :(

Changing the plugs next weekend along with the timing belt and oil. I ordered a catless up pipe and down pipe, but I'm going to wait for a cobb accessport before I install them.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Bob Log posted:

Look at the bluebook value for the car in a comparative condition, make sure you know for a fact it's mechanically sound and offer him something based on bluebook +/- whatever you think. Putting mods on your car is throwing money away and everyone knows it, adding mods is not adding value to the car.

The BOV shouldn't have damaged anything severely as far as I know.

He offered to sell it to me for $7500, I said $6500 but he doesn't want to lose money on it which seems to be what's going to end up happening.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Isn't turboing the NA motor a no-no (as far as risk/wear compared to a BOV)? Is the engine built up at all?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Isn't turboing the NA motor a no-no (as far as risk/wear compared to a BOV)? Is the engine built up at all?

People say you can get away with 5 to 6 psi of boost on them. I personally wouldn't do it though. As a side project? fine, whatever, but as a daily, yeah no. I break transmissions without a turbo as is.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
I have a headlight thats been out for a while on my '05 WRX. I put new bulbs in and that didn't fix it, so I had someone look at it for me and they said my ballast is bad. Where can I find a replacement ballast at? I'm tired of driving around with one headlight.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yakattak posted:

I'm thinking of buying an Impreza WRX, however I refuse to buy the '02/'03 simply because of the headlights.

Boo. The bug eyes are beautiful.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kimbo305 posted:

It is not really a great idea as the cost of dropping in a wrecked WRX motor likely isn't that much greater and with have much better reliability and power.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

kimbo305 posted:

I assumed when he said "Rebuilt" he would've dropped in a WRX motor with stock or reasonably equivalent price to put in.

If he put a turbo on an N/A Subaru motor, run like the wind.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Pretty sure it's not a WRX swap, so I think I'll stay away from it.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Big day for me today:

Went and looked at an '03 wrx wagon today and agreed to buy it for $6300. It has 112k, a ricey exhaust that'll I'm going to put back to stock, and a bit of rust in the quarter panels. I should be going back and picking it up next weekend. This one will be for my wife.

I also started my newly swapped '99 2.5rs for the first time and took it for a drive to the gas station. The new engine is an EZ30D from an '01 outback (I mentioned the swap in this thread months ago, it's taken me far longer than I thought it would). The drive went pretty good, though there's some wiring that I'll need to work out.

I'm a bit worried that I don't have the radiator fan relays wired correctly, as the fans did not kick on despite the radiator feeling quite hot (with a little bit of steam). The coolant temp gauge read normal, though. I also noticed that the coolant reservoir was not filling up as the coolant warmed up; I don't know what to make of that.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

dyne posted:

I'm a bit worried that I don't have the radiator fan relays wired correctly, as the fans did not kick on despite the radiator feeling quite hot (with a little bit of steam). The coolant temp gauge read normal, though. I also noticed that the coolant reservoir was not filling up as the coolant warmed up; I don't know what to make of that.

Either your coolant level is low, or there is a problem with the hose/connection to the overflow tank.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So I built my Koni Yellows into GR2 housings today. I think this might be the easiest build I've ever done on the car.

The GR2s I tore apart had blown rears and judging from the general condition of the dust cover and spring perches it must have been a pretty high mileage example. The old hydraulic oil drained from the cylinders smelled awful. Fronts were fine, go figure.

Coming up is a lot of headaches as I try to fit GC STI aluminium control arms into my wagon. Apparently I have to at least swap my endlinks for sedan units.

Awaiting install:
  • GC STI control arms
  • Whiteline control arm bushings
  • Anti-lift kit
  • RCE wagon springs
  • Built struts
  • Apparently, sedan endlinks.
  • Probably new balljoints after I demolish the existing ones removing the old control arms.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 14, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
We were at the track this weekend. Our car has some new stuff.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

How much should wheel bearing replacement cost for all 4?

JayKay fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 14, 2011

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

jamal posted:

We were at the track this weekend. Our car has some new stuff.

The car looks badass. Did it run well?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Stoptech street performance pads are the recommended ones for a daily driver, right?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Stoptech street performance pads are the recommended ones for a daily driver, right?

Something like that.

And damnit why wont the dam stay at 16. STAY AT 16 YOU BASTARD

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

dyne posted:

Big day for me today:

I also started my newly swapped '99 2.5rs for the first time and took it for a drive to the gas station. The new engine is an EZ30D from an '01 outback (I mentioned the swap in this thread months ago, it's taken me far longer than I thought it would). The drive went pretty good, though there's some wiring that I'll need to work out.

I would love it if you'd post pics and more info about the car and swap. I'm doing a trans swap in my RS and curious about future motor options!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Wrar posted:

The car looks badass. Did it run well?

yep, weekend went great, no big problems from either car and the Subaru set fastest time of the day over a ridiculous widebody M3 and some ferrari challenge cars. Still 2.5 seconds off our own pace because we were on a lower power map and old tires. Next event is in Arizona the first week of April and we'll be on continental slicks (spec tire) with a new turbo.

have a big gallery up on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hella-Functional/147836660405#!/album.php?aid=343440&id=147836660405

JayKay posted:

How much should wheel bearing replacement cost for all 4?

4ish hours of labor and cost of parts, which works out to 80-100 per corner assuming you don't need to replace any hubs.

Stoptech Street performance pads are awesome.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 14, 2011

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Gonna have to say that the miata in there made me giggle a bit.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Amandyke posted:

Gonna have to say that the miata in there made me giggle a bit.

yeah, what's the point/purpose of that massive splitter?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

it's pretty clear who the real racers are in here.

but seriously it's all about generating more grip- the larger the splitter, the more downforce. I think that's probably a little excessive as a the few articles I've seen in magazines like racecar engineering show effectiveness starts to fall off after about 4-5" from the bumper. As long as there is a pressure difference between the top and bottom there is downforce, though. It'd be interesting to put some shock pots on that car, go out to a runway, and start cutting down the splitter. The car wasn't running that fast for the class though. He went 1:58 something, we did a :56.5 with the S2000, and the top three times in the class are 1:53.416, 1:53.481, and 1:54.497, by a Porshe, M3, and Supra respectively. On that note Savington was out there Saturday with his turbo miata and ran a 1:56 flat but then broke something.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 15, 2011

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Would these 04-05 WRX rear diff bushings work for my 98 Impreza wagon? I can't find any for it, not even stock replacements. I'd rather get something that wont put me out of H stock but getting rid of the clunking is the main concern.

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_10_1356_1361_1401&products_id=173

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

I asked my friend if his 2.5 RS was a WRX swap, and he says it was but I'm not 100% sure for various reasons. Is there a way I can tell if it's truly a WRX engine? I don't think he'd lie to me but he does need to sell the car and I want to be sure he's being honest.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

no, bushings don't fit. pretty sure whiteline and/or superpro make ones that do

pictures of the engine would probably be a pretty good indication. specifically the stamp on the top of the block under the alternator, the heads, intake manifold, p/s pump.

there should probably be a turbo and intercooler on there too.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

jamal posted:

pictures of the engine would probably be a pretty good indication. specifically the stamp on the top of the block under the alternator, the heads, intake manifold, p/s pump.

there should probably be a turbo and intercooler on there too.

Do the WRX motors have WRX badges on them at all? If you read above, he put a turbo into a 2.5 RS but I'm not sure if he swapped out the RS motor for a WRX one and that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The WRX motors will say "EJ255" or "EJ205" on them. STI are "EJ257" or "EJ207" (unlikely).

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

jamal posted:

All I've found from whiteline are poly inserts. The rubber isn't broken yet but it's cracking, so I'd like to find a replacement for the whole bushing. Any ideas? Or just got to the dealer?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

the stamp on the block is only two digits, so EJ25 or EJ20 no matter what it's out of. but the timing cover might have a sticker on it with 205, 257, etc. either way if it has the standard turbo inlet under the manifold setup and ej20 stamped under the alternator it's a wrx swap. if EJ25 is stamped on the block it would also need to have avcs heads to be a full wrx swap.

the whiteline poly insert is only for the newer cars. the one that would go there is a full replacement, as are superpro, powerflex, etc.

oh there's also the group n option. if subarugenuineparts doesn't have that in stock rallispec will. just you probably have to take the crossmember out to get them in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Yakattak posted:

I asked my friend if his 2.5 RS was a WRX swap, and he says it was but I'm not 100% sure for various reasons. Is there a way I can tell if it's truly a WRX engine? I don't think he'd lie to me but he does need to sell the car and I want to be sure he's being honest.

What kind of friend is that? Play dumb and use the info here to see if he's lying.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Free castor mod is the best thing for handling ever. Oh and who put the new engine in my road car, changed the plugs and it's all WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! again

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I ended up ordering these since I couldn't find anyone selling the diff mount bushings and won't be able to drop the sub frame for awhile. Just going to see if it helps the clunking at all.

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_10_1496_1499_1506&products_id=186

Also, Will a catback exhaust off an 04-05 STI or WRX bolt up on my 98? My friend just replaced the whole exhaust on his STI so I'm going to try to get him to sell it to me cheap.
Edit: found out that I need to make an adapter pipe section for it to work. Looks like I have to wait a few weeks for the quarter to start back up at school, so I can use a cutting torch for the flanges.

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 19, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
One of the guys in the club recently bought an 06 STI and loves it except for the "bobble head" effect.

Is there a cheap and easy way to solve it, outside of going to different dampers? He was hoping that the Racecomp black springs would take care of the problem.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I see a lot of people blame the stock seats and top mounts for that, but it's generally been agreed that the stock struts are a little over-damped, so by either re-valving them or going to a stiffer spring you can improve ride and handling.

I have sti struts with rce springs and with stock sti springs I didn't ever notice "bobble head" unless I was going fairly slow (45-55) on certain sections of freeway. Now with springs the car is just stiffer. Still need to go pick up those re-valved struts.

Also if anyone wants stock sti springs I have two sets for cheap.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seat Safety Switch posted:

One of the guys in the club recently bought an 06 STI and loves it except for the "bobble head" effect.

Is there a cheap and easy way to solve it, outside of going to different dampers? He was hoping that the Racecomp black springs would take care of the problem.

I solved the issue by driving harder - my 06 WRX 'suffered' the same issue and simply got better the harder I pushed.

Also the standard grease is poo poo, I regreased a STI set to replace the blown wrx OEMs that finally died, the difference in properly greased shaft bodies are amazing. You dont get that jiggy feeling and no cries of pain from passengers, but instead she rides you for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

jamal posted:

I have two sets for cheap.

You have one. :smugbert: (save a good set for two weeks, my good man)