Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Rutibex posted:

There is 10%+ unemployment in the US right now, if prisoners got minimum wage people would be going to jail intentionally.
Or instead prisoners will be "fired" (can you fire a slave?) and there'll be more jobs for the free folk.

I know routine is great for prisoners, and that slavery is the closest to a normal life they likely get, but I'm sure there's a better alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

21stCentury posted:

The problem with that is that, no matter how you try to sell it, rehabilitative prison will inevitably lead to people saying "look at that! Prisoners get money for their work! That money ought to go to the victims!" or "The government is controlling the healthcare! Death panels are going to kill your grandma!"

An extension of this: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/criminals-spoilt-rotten-at-barwon-prison/story-e6frf7kx-1226013156460

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ah yes, the incredible evil of spending $218 per inmate per month on food. Or around $7 a day.

The reason the meals are so good in prison is that the prisoners cooking them are usually actual chefs and making inventive meals is their only release from what is otherwise a very unpleasant existence.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

America: blame the powerless first.

Edit:
Haha, it's an Australian paper. I suppose the whole world is full of em.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 1, 2011

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

SinetheGuy posted:

America: blame the powerless first.

This happened in Australia, but the sentiment is certainly the same in America.

$7 on that scale could buy some decently good food (as suggested by the "beef Florentines, pork belly chops, char-grilled artichokes and whiting" line). By myself I could probably couldn't eat as well as that on the same amount, but that's to be expected when buying materials in bulk. Personally I don't consider that a crime. If it truly costs $7 to eat so well, I seriously don't care. They can buy whey pudding and ramen noodles for that amount and perform a serious disservice to the prisoners doing it.

They could also go the Arpaio and cut it down to a less than a dollar a day to appease the idiots in the general public. But I honestly think $7/day is an acceptable expense. It can cost me double that to get incredibly worse food every day. I find it extremely impressive and I don't begrudge prisoners that luxury.

LOL. Food = luxury. Christ what's happening to humanity?

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

The reason the meals are so good in prison is that the prisoners cooking them are usually actual chefs and making inventive meals is their only release from what is otherwise a very unpleasant existence.

You're talking about Australian prisons, right?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yes, Australian prisons. The article I was replying to was from one of the lovely local newspapers designed for the knee-jerk segment of the population. It's all 'foreigners taking our jobs', 'boat people overrunning the country, why doesn't the navy sink them', and Andrew Bolt. He's Australia's very own Glen Beck, but without the charm.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
TAKE ACTION: Tell the Department of Justice to adopt strong national standards addressing sexual abuse in detention.

Just Detention posted:

Right now, you can help make sure that the Department of Justice protects all people behind bars from the pain and trauma of sexual abuse. The Department has released proposed national standards addressing sexual abuse in detention, and is accepting public comments until April 4, 2011.

The proposed standards include basic measures for prisons and jails to follow in order to prevent and respond to sexual abuse. You can read the standards here.

Your comments will have an impact on the final standards, which – once adopted by Attorney General Eric Holder – will be binding on prisons nationwide.

You can:

1. Write your own story. Are you a survivor of sexual abuse in detention? Tell the Department of Justice about your experience and how strong standards could have kept you safe. You can submit your comments anonymously or sign your name. (For instructions on keeping your personal identifying information private, see “I. Posting of Public Comments” on page 1.)

2. Write a letter based on JDI’s talking points. Whether or not you are a survivor of sexual abuse, your voice counts. Tell the Department of Justice why you care about every person’s right to be free from sexual violence.

3. Use JDI’s sample letter. You can add your own words or submit the letter as written.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

HidingFromGoro posted:

Several reasons, the main ones being:
It's a form of currency (this is the main reason).
It creates a hostile work environment for staff.
Some wardens are religious (especially in the South).
Try winning an election by being "the governor who lets inmates have Playboys."

Also, restricting prisoners from having things they want feeds our punishment fetish. The public believes that anything more than a hole to piss in and enough bread and water to keep you alive is a luxury that prisoners do not have a right to.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
B.C. inmates attempt to form Canada's first prison labor union- ConFederation, Canadian Prisoners' Labour Union, Local 001

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Hey HFG, this just got posted in the Manning thread:

quote:

Yeah military prisons have a very low rate of inmate on inmate violence. There really is no good reason why Manning shouldn't have contact with other prisoners but there is also no chance of that happening till after the trial.
You have experience with the military system, right? Do you think this is true? Do you get any gangs/similar groups in military facilities? Is rape as common in military facilities as in civilian ones? I guess the reason I'm asking is if things are actually better, would there be a way to make the things that "work" in a military prison work in a public one? Do you know whether or not "bootcamp" programs that try to instill military discipline actually produce successful outcomes?

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Colonel Pancreas posted:

Hey HFG, this just got posted in the Manning thread:

You have experience with the military system, right? Do you think this is true? Do you get any gangs/similar groups in military facilities? Is rape as common in military facilities as in civilian ones? I guess the reason I'm asking is if things are actually better, would there be a way to make the things that "work" in a military prison work in a public one? Do you know whether or not "bootcamp" programs that try to instill military discipline actually produce successful outcomes?

http://bit.ly/gGHrI3

It's c/p'd from an old post I made in A/T. tldr is that yes, the military system is vastly different than the civilian system. Even gitmo isn't as bad as some of the things that happen in state prisons.

HidingFromGoro fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 10, 2011

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
The Military Jail system is run almost exactly like its bootcamp system. Normal prisoners live in a common area much like a squadbay (up to 100+ people in a open room). There is a guard inside the room. The guard is not armed. Guards rotate about once a month to new departments and once a year to new job sites. This keeps things like contraband far lower then in normal jail.

Military Jail gives the same food to prisoners that it gives to normal military members, (Steak and Lobster for xmas for example).

Finally there is onsite workshops, the one I saw had a wood shop where trusted prisoners would build woodwork for retiring troops.

Gangs honestly don't exist, if they do there kept on the down low. All types of service members from privates to officers get the same treatment. Its almost a higher class of prisoner in a military jail since how much trouble is a soldier who told his Commanding Officer to gently caress off going to intentionally make his stay in the brig longer.

Finally time in the Brig is generally longer for the same civilian offense. Tell your Commanding Officer to gently caress off, get 3 months to think about it. The general issue is that many troops don't get kicked out of the service after a stay in the brig thus they cant be treated to badly otherwise moral of the unit will be hurt even more.

Finally with short stays in the Brig being the norm if an issue of sexual abuse did come to light, it would be highly likely that the issue would hit the local news, and become well known far more quickly. If it became the same issue that it is in the civilian world it would be used as a defense against sending a soldier to the brig. "Your Honor, PFC Johnny was RAPED inside the vary brig that your sending my client, This is, by definition, cruel and unusual punishment as my client has the right to be safe"

The civilian system could learn a lot from the Military one, but its unlikely to ever happen.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Huh. I always figured American military prisons would be horrible because Canadian ones are incredibly bad. I know a few people who are/were in the Canadian Forces who have never been in prison but have heard a lot of horror stories. Solitary confinement for all prisoners, punishment for speaking unless spoken to, forced labour to the point of exhaustion, sleep deprivation, tiny meals, and other stuff that is essentially torture.

But who knows, maybe it's not that bad. Maybe the officers just say it is to scare people as a deterrent.

PTBrennan
Jun 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Huh. I always figured American military prisons would be horrible because Canadian ones are incredibly bad. I know a few people who are/were in the Canadian Forces who have never been in prison but have heard a lot of horror stories. Solitary confinement for all prisoners, punishment for speaking unless spoken to, forced labour to the point of exhaustion, sleep deprivation, tiny meals, and other stuff that is essentially torture.

But who knows, maybe it's not that bad. Maybe the officers just say it is to scare people as a deterrent.

I'm sure it'll vary from state to state and facility to facility.

quote:

We were never beaten, unless we were fighting and even then only sometimes. The beatings were always short- seconds in length, just enough to get the message across and only for as long as it took to get the cuffs on, with only maybe one or two shots for emphasis. Mostly they just cuffed us, and as gently as you can when you're cuffing up someone with their face in the concrete. Sometimes you'd "accidentally" hit yourself on the wall or floor as you were being restrained, but it never got taken too far. They never used dogs or tasers on us, words usually sufficed and when they didn't fists (and sometimes gas) were all that were necessary. Even boots were rarely used.

Still sounds like they have a lot of work as well to be done.

If someone strikes me, for whatever reason or situation, I'm going to want to strike back, it's only natural. It's your job to subdue the prisoner, not teach them a lesson. By becoming violent against the person you in turn are causing the situation to escalate not the prisoner.

Assault and Battery is Assault and Battery regardless of the power structure or who's involved.

PTBrennan fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 10, 2011

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

HidingFromGoro posted:

http://bit.ly/gGHrI3

It's c/p'd from an old post I made in A/T. tldr is that yes, the military system is vastly different than the civilian system. Even gitmo isn't as bad as some of the things that happen in state prisons.

Well, that was a very succinct and clear answer to my question; thanks for the link/writeup.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PTBrennan posted:

I'm sure it'll vary from state to state and facility to facility.

Oh, right. Not only do the major branches of the US military (Army, Navy, Air Force) operate as separate entities, but the national guards have a lot of autonomy from each other, right? I'd imagine they all have their own prisons.

Canada has a completely integrated military with one structure and only one prison which is alledgedly very bad.

PTBrennan
Jun 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Oh, right. Not only do the major branches of the US military (Army, Navy, Air Force) operate as separate entities, but the national guards have a lot of autonomy from each other, right? I'd imagine they all have their own prisons.

Canada has a completely integrated military with one structure and only one prison which is alledgedly very bad.

Is it that far of a stretch to assume a prison can vary from state to state due to the individual running the facility and mentality of the guards regardless of state procedure and regulations.

That some facilities may abuse human rights more than others and some may not simply due to the individuals running the facility regardless of whether it's a civilian or military prison?

Edit: I wasn't referring to Canadian Military Prison but United States Military Prisons. I know nothing of Canada's Military or their prison system.

PTBrennan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 11, 2011

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
HFG,

I know a guy in prison for life without parole. Friend of a friend and I've been writing him because I'm really curious about prison life from someone on there.

One thing he says to me is that he's only seen or heard about 2 prison rapes in the past 15 years and he thinks the studies are all lies.

Jack Napier
Aug 5, 2010

by Ozma

Pillowpants posted:

HFG,

I know a guy in prison for life without parole. Friend of a friend and I've been writing him because I'm really curious about prison life from someone on there.

One thing he says to me is that he's only seen or heard about 2 prison rapes in the past 15 years and he thinks the studies are all lies.

As the post above yours just said, it varies from prison to prison and state to state.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

HFG,

Does he not count the times when people "consent" for fear of being punished if they don't? Because I find it really difficult to believe that there's some sort of conspiracy to fabricate prison rape studies.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I searched and can't find anything- does anybody have a backup of the reidscones site? It's been down for awhile now and I want to link the information around.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

I searched and can't find anything- does anybody have a backup of the reidscones site? It's been down for awhile now and I want to link the information around.

This is incomplete, but here you go anyway http://lf.dont-read.com/

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

I have it (and the Joe Arpaio special page) saved as Chrome files. Want me to send them to you? I'd need your email address.

E: Pretty much beaten. But let me know if you still want the old style.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Soap Scum posted:

I have it (and the Joe Arpaio special page) saved as Chrome files. Want me to send them to you? I'd need your email address.

Me too please, hidingfromgoro at hotmail

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Soap Scum posted:

If you could, I'd be appreciative. My email is my username minus the space at gmail.

reidscones
Apr 5, 2007

:snoop: deserve got nothin to do with it :snoop:

Soap Scum posted:

Heya, I'm dumb as gently caress and didn't back that stuff up, I'd really appreciate it if you'd send it to me!

e. email removed, thanks a ton~

reidscones fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 13, 2011

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

You should all have them in your inboxes momentarily.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pillowpants posted:

HFG,

If you are writing him about these issues, why are you thinking that his replies are genuine and unaltered? It seems like any letters about prison conditions would be censored and replaced with rose-tinted lies as a matter of course.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

HFG,

What prison is he in?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

shovelbum posted:

If you are writing him about these issues, why are you thinking that his replies are genuine and unaltered? It seems like any letters about prison conditions would be censored and replaced with rose-tinted lies as a matter of course.

This would be a federal crime and easily tested for.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Then again, there have been far more serious and flagrant abuses of federal law in the US prison system than that. Censoring the mail of inmates sounds like something that some rear end in a top hat somewhere could come up with for shits and giggles.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

This would be a federal crime and easily tested for.

Don't they already censor incoming mail?

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

HFG,

It depends on the facility and in some cases the yard. I don't know how else to respond without it sounding wrong. I will say that I would be very surprised to hear that from that an inmate in a state prison, especially if they've been there a long time. I'm not sure I would post the guy's exact facility on here though.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Rhandhali posted:

Don't they already censor incoming mail?

They will confiscate a letter but they're not going to go through the trouble of trying to forge a fake one or change the contents, outside of certain anti-gang schemes which I'm pretty sure they don't do anymore (and which always failed anyway). They'll just confiscate it if they think there's a problem- although good to remember if you're writing an inmate that the staff is reading your letters as well as his.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

HidingFromGoro posted:

It depends on the facility and in some cases the yard. I don't know how else to respond without it sounding wrong. I will say that I would be very surprised to hear that from that an inmate in a state prison, especially if they've been there a long time. I'm not sure I would post the guy's exact facility on here though.

He's been in two prisons in the South, one of which I believe is considered a supermax prison

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pillowpants posted:

He's been in two prisons in the South, one of which I believe is considered a supermax prison
Not many opportunities for rape in a supermax.
Not many opportunities for rape at the security level you have to be at to be sent to a supermax because that security level was insufficient.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

HidingFromGoro posted:

They will confiscate a letter but they're not going to go through the trouble of trying to forge a fake one or change the contents, outside of certain anti-gang schemes which I'm pretty sure they don't do anymore (and which always failed anyway). They'll just confiscate it if they think there's a problem- although good to remember if you're writing an inmate that the staff is reading your letters as well as his.

When an incoming letter is confiscated is the inmate informed or do they just never know that they were sent a letter?

What content would a letter need to contain to be confiscated (other than obvious stuff like material related to gang organisation/planning crimes)?

PTBrennan
Jun 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0315-prisoner-wages-20110314,0,3847106.story

quote:

Kensley Hawkins is a deadbeat, according to the state of Illinois.

He owes $455,203.14 to cover the costs of his stay at the Stateville Correctional Center in Joliet. Hawkins has been in prison since Nov. 19, 1982. His jailer is also his debt collector.

Hawkins is fighting in court to stop the state from seizing about $11,000 in his bank account to partially satisfy the debt. The 60-year-old earned the money by working while he's been behind bars, making about $75 a month.

The issue of whether the state can repossess the meager wages paid to inmates will be determined by the Illinois Supreme Court, which will hold arguments in the Hawkins case Tuesday. It's the first time the court will address the issue, which also has social justice and public policy ramifications for Illinois.

"To save $11,000 is miraculous, but the money we get from this guy means nothing to the state," said John Maki, coordinating director of the John Howard Association of Illinois, a prison reform organization. "This is not going to help create a prison culture that's more rehabilitative, which makes people less likely to offend again."

The state Department of Corrections declined to comment on Hawkins' case because the matter is pending.

Hawkins' lawyers, who are representing him for free, say the case defies logic.

"I think this is an arbitrary and wrong-headed application of the law where bureaucratic thinking gets in the way of common sense," said Paul Glad of SNR Denton, formerly Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal, which has represented Hawkins since 2005.

Illinois has had an inmate work program since about 1973, according to department spokeswoman Sharyn Elman. The goal is to reduce recidivism by helping prisoners learn new skills and earn some money that they can use upon release. About 44 percent of the state's 48,000 inmates participate in the program, Elman wrote in response to e-mailed questions.

Hawkins began working soon after he entered Stateville, where he was sentenced to 60 years for the 1980 slaying of a 65-year-old man and attempting to kill two Chicago policemen. He wanted to send some money to his daughter, who was 8 when he went to prison, said Glad. Hawkins is up for parole in 2028.

Hawkins learned to build desks, chairs, dividers and cabinets in the prison's wood shop, Glad said. His wages amount to about $2 a day, not including a small commission he earned on each piece sold.

"He's very proud of the work," Glad said. "It's clearly the best part of his life."

In March 2005, nearly 23 years after he entered prison, the Corrections Department sued Hawkins in Will County. It demanded more than $455,000 that it has spent to house him from July 1, 1983, to March 17, 2005, or an average of about $57 a day.

Under Illinois law, prisoners are liable for their incarceration costs. Most offenders do not have the means to pay, but the department can begin collection proceedings against those who have sufficient assets. Hawkins' lawyers said the threshold is $10,000 in assets. The state requires prisoners to file financial statements.

In the last eight years, the department has brought more than 200 suits against current and former inmates, Elman said. The department has tried to seize inheritances and awards from personal-injury cases, said James Chapman, a Chicago lawyer who has represented prisoners in such claims.

A Will County judge ordered Hawkins to pay but also prevented the Corrections Department from seizing his bank account. Both sides appealed.

Glad and David Simonton, also of SNR Denton, argued that the Corrections Department had already deducted 3 percent of his wages, about $751, to pay for his incarceration and was not allowed to collect more. The Illinois attorney general's office, representing the Corrections Department, said the state is not limited by the wage offset from later filing a civil suit seeking more funds.

Two out of three appellate judges ruled in favor of the Corrections Department in June. The dissenter, Judge Tom Lytton, said there is a conflict in state law governing collections proceedings against prisoners. If a prisoner's only asset is wages earned behind bars, then the state is limited to the 3 percent deduction, Lytton said.

The Supreme Court is being asked to decide whether there is a conflict in the law. Hawkins' lawyers are also asking the court to throw out the $455,000 judgment against him.

Hawkins is being pursued because he diligently saved his income instead of spending it on books, magazines and other trivial items at the prison commissary, said his lawyers.

"If he had spent some more of his money, he would not have been flagged," Simonton said. "This disincentivizes working and saving."

He's up for parole in 2028 and the prison system is already trying to take his money.

And we, as a society, wonder why some individuals just can't seem to get their lives in order.

Well his is a great example, man spent the last 60 years of his life scraping and saving 11k while in prison in order to give it to his daughter, while the system already was taking money out of his checks to help pay his dentention but because he managed to save all this money, the state is suing trying to take it away to pay for his incarceration. Incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

PTBrennan posted:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0315-prisoner-wages-20110314,0,3847106.story

He's up for parole in 2028 and the prison system is already trying to take his money.

And we, as a society, wonder why some individuals just can't seem to get their lives in order.

Well his is a great example, man spent the last 60 years of his life scraping and saving 11k while in prison in order to give it to his daughter, while the system already was taking money out of his checks to help pay his dentention but because he managed to save all this money, the state is suing trying to take it away to pay for his incarceration. Incredible.

The worst part about this is the fact that each month he owes more than he can pay off by working.

i mean, really, they charge him money for his prison sentence, but don't let him earn enough money to cover the debt. Even if he gets paroled, when he comes out he'll owe too much money through no fault of his own, because even though he would be able to pay off his debt, he's not getting paid enough... By the people he owes money to.

i mean, basically, it's like your Landlord preventing you from leaving the block before paying the monthly rent and allowing you to work for him, but only paying you 20% of the monthly rent per month. How can that fly? How can no one get angry about the underlying situation?

• Locked thread