Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
After doing some looking, I didn't see an RC Heli thread so I thought I'd ask here.

Anyone know of a good "starter" Heli? Preferably 3 or 4 channel. I originally bought a Helix 360, but then saw some reviews AFTER I bought it and discovered it wasn't as good as I may have thought. After looking through some reviews I found the Syma S107 which got great reviews. Anyone have experience with that particular heli or can recommend something even better for the money (Syma S107 is also very cost effective).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AzCoug posted:

After doing some looking, I didn't see an RC Heli thread so I thought I'd ask here.

Anyone know of a good "starter" Heli? Preferably 3 or 4 channel. I originally bought a Helix 360, but then saw some reviews AFTER I bought it and discovered it wasn't as good as I may have thought. After looking through some reviews I found the Syma S107 which got great reviews. Anyone have experience with that particular heli or can recommend something even better for the money (Syma S107 is also very cost effective).

Definitely get the Syma S107, it's hands down the best $30 I've ever spent. It's one of, if not the most popular of the mini-helis too, so parts are cheap and abundant. I've had mine for a few months now, and it is still running great despite all the walls and furniture I've run in to. After seeing mine in action, 3 other friends have bought one, and all of them have been completely satisfied.

The other day I ordered it's big brother, the 24" S031 outdoor model. It's on the truck for delivery today, can't wait to try that one out.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
the S107 is awesome. I own two. ... and not because one broke. They're freakishly stable, you can poke it with your finger while it's flying and it pushes back.

I own a S032... which is a peice of crap. It shuts down midflight. I've heard the S031 is much better though.

The S107 won't "really" teach you to fly a heli though. It will train you on throttle control, but the things that make a 4 channel ship fly are different from a naturally stable contra-rotating ship.

Note, I've flown both kinds with success.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

AzCoug posted:

Anything from eFlite will be your best option, especially when it comes to local parts support. They coaxial "Blade" helicopter line is the one to check out.

Phat Albert re: letting LiPOs sit at full charge - I have let a few sit at a full charge for a monthish, and noticed that they started to swell a little bit. They still work fine, but I have noticed some have lost their "punch" a bit. All of my batteries are higher end cells, I have heard worse things about cheaper quality packs, but ymmv. :)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I would get a Blade Msr. They have dropped in price recently due to the release of the blade Mcp.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Well, I'm officially an r/c addict. Picked up the 1/8th scale I was talking about earlier in this thread... holy poo poo it's a RIOT :dance:

It's a Mugen MBX6 with a Tekno e conversion, RX8 and 1900kv T8. It's an absolute blast to drive. After "getting used to" 4wd (don't hit the brakes in the air don't hit the brakes in the air), within a single battery's runtime I was turning the fastest laps I've ever done on our local indoor track, by nearly .75sec. This track is extremely tight and doesn't give 1/8th scale room to stretch its legs, but the new to me buggy is still brutally quick compared to my SCT and 1/10th buggy. I'm really digging 4wd, it's pretty much cemented my want for a SC10 4x4 when they come out.

The only bad thing about this is my ancient mx-3 can't mix its third channel, so I can't make use of the mechanical brakes on the new car. Not the end of the world since this indoor track is so tight, but by the time things dry up outside I'll want a new radio... I like the idea of mech brakes if only to keep motor/esc temps down.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Man I hear ya! Finally got my Ve8 with the Rx8/1900Kv combo together yesterday. HOLY CRAP it's fast. But like an idiot I ran my brand new tires on the street and they are now bald.

Also, welcome to the addiction club.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I just got home from Psycho Nitro Blast... holy crap was that amazing!!!

And somehow I came home with two Ofna Hyper7 buggies and a whole ton of other poo poo for only $250 thanks to a team racer who decided I was a needy rookie!

Looks like I'm in this RC stuff for the long haul.

Anyway, I ran Stock 17.5 Short Course. I didn't get to practice because I came late, and had to run my first heat literally within 30 minutes of unloading my gear. Lots of problems, naturally, finished last. Second heat I got my position # and heat # mixed up, (Position 8, Heat 7, not Position 7, Heat 8) and ran the wrong race. :doh: That's what I get for having my Kindergartner read the chart for me. To top it off, about the time I realized I needed to get off the track, a CV shaft pin came out and the axle broke. Easy enough fix. Third heat really broke my heart, though; truck was dialed, laps were fast... unfortunately, when I 'fixed' my axle, I forgot to put the capture screw back on the control arm. I ran the entire field down from last place, was in 2nd and was running the 1st place truck down when the damned hinge pin came out, chewing up the arm. Even with a DNF, I finished 5th of 11. :hellyeah: I was on pace to run 9 laps, but bombed out with 6 with two and a half minutes to go.

These disasters put me in next-to-last in the C-Main. I've got my truck on the starting grid - poor thing's being held together with zip ties and tape, the body is beat all to poo poo and it just looks like it's been through hell. Everyone else looks like they just pulled a brand new kit off the shelf. I notice a couple snickers. Horn sounds, I take off and immediately spin out on the goddamned starting grid. Everyone goes hauling rear end away from me while a turn marshall hurries over to me. I'm still on the drat grid and 15 seconds down. My transmission and motor are literally being held in the truck with zip-ties, so I have no choice but to drive slowly to keep it from breaking. However, my steering is still AWESOME, so I can run a tight-as-hell line. 8th... 5th. 4th. 3rd. I ran the field down with my busted-rear end truck. I finish with the rest of my rear brace busted all up, a body mount snapped, rear bumper split, and massive splits, dents, and tears in the body.

I've never been prouder, or more addicted. You should've been there, SGT. Squeaks! The race absolutely lived up to the name. I'm already counting the hours 'till next year.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Man that sounds awesome! But you also make me sad. This is THE race to make in Georgia, and I missed it. I went to the local track for a club race tonight and they were keeping everyone updated on how the track regulars were doing at the PNB. Sounds like so much fun. Nothing better than passing the rest of the pack with a busted rear end car. And dude, you made it off like a bandit with those buggies! You going to any of the Georgia Championship Series races this year?

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 14, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Little cars are to much fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bnaMvzSzCc

The 1/24 Losi Mini Trekker came out this week. Well it's now mine. I need to buy some tugsten carbide bits to add weight to the front axle.

On the bright side I also got a 2.4 gig transmitter.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Man that sounds awesome! But you also make me sad. This is THE race to make in Georgia, and I missed it. I went to the local track for a club race tonight and they were keeping everyone updated on how the track regulars were doing at the PNB. Sounds like so much fun. Nothing better than passing the rest of the pack with a busted rear end car. And dude, you made it off like a bandit with those buggies! You going to any of the Georgia Championship Series races this year?

I'll probably go to the one at Phil Hurd.. now that I'm getting into Nitro, I'll probably jump into the GCS next season.

The buggies I got were an Ofna Ultra LX One that needs some repair, and (I think) a ready-to-go Hyper 7 with a poo poo-ton of aluminum. Not 100% sure on the motors, since I really don't know much about Nitro. I broke the pull string trying to start it earlier, and the charge box has a weak battery, so I'll try getting it running tomorrow. Here's the assembled one:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Follow up to my earlier post:

So last week I caught a video online about losi's new scale(ish) 1/24 crawler. The Micro 4x4 Trail Trekker

Lets start off with the manufacturer link:
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0238

It's 2.4 gig, comes with a 4.8v 220mAh NiMh, and otherwise is your normal losi RTR. It's also not a "complete new" design. It's a close relative of the 1/24 crawler that losi has been selling for a few years now. This chassis is longer, so it has more room for batteries, has travel limiters in the shocks, and has stretched supports to hold a scale body.

Roughly a month ago I bought a Losi Micro SCT. And while I was very impressed with it's quality, and the fact it comes across as a real honest to goodness r/c car, it made me make some assumptions about the Trail Trekker.

What hit me off the bat were the friction shocks. Which is something that I don't see as a disadvantage given the speeds the car goes. The freakishly sticky tires. And the fact that the chassis seemed "cold" to the touch.

The chassis as it turns out, is metal. I think steel, but I haven't confirmed that yet. (no magnets handy...) They don't mention this in the videos or brochures.

Speaking of videos, this post needs a picture. Here ya go. the truck is three battery packs deep here.

On the battery front the stock battery mount doesn't seem very friendly to those who want to run lipo packs. It doesn't seem like it will fit my 250mah packs from my SCT. So I may need to get creative.

So far I've climbed the jumbled blankets and clothes on my bed, the messenger bag I use for work, and the hood and windshield of my car. I've climbed couches, a parent, a cat, and I'm looking for other household challenges.

Sunday, when I bought the truck, my first stop was the "other" hobby shop. To show it off. I got scolded for not ordering it there... Regardless, that's where I first ran it. It drove over many smaller r/c cars at that shop. And one much larger one. When I got it home, I decided I'd climb the first convenient thing. My car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bnaMvzSzCc

Kudos if you can ID the car too.

I'm learning a lot about crawling. It's neat.. I'm starting to think every hobby shop should dedicate a few square feet in the front window for doing this. It would be a great way to get people into the shop, and keep them there for a while.

To cut to the chase; I like it. As if after all that text it's really cutting to the chase right? I've yet to find something it didn't have enough power to to. It flips before it stalls out. And the work drive axles have excellent locking.

Now I did buy the car as soon as I could. I think it's actually been in retail shops for less than 5 days now. So any hopes for "standing" advice are pretty nill. But I'm quite happy to take any suggestions anyone might have on making this thing climb household objects with even greater aplomb.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Uh. I just discovered that it will pull a wheelie if you put in a lipo and set it on the front servo... This thing just got dangerous.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I've really been enjoying my 4x4 Slash since I picked it up earlier this year. I've been at track practice almost every weekend since I got it, and my brother in law and I are now pretty consistently the fastest guys at practices, holding our own against SC10's and Blitzes.

So naturally we're thinking about racing, but neither of us really know what its all about. How does racing at the local level usually work? I'm guessing its points based and not brackets or something else, correct? Also, I'm guessing that the guys who actually race are better than most of the guys who show up at practice, so I'm mentally preparing myself to get stomped on.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Phat_Albert posted:

So I've really been enjoying my 4x4 Slash since I picked it up earlier this year. I've been at track practice almost every weekend since I got it, and my brother in law and I are now pretty consistently the fastest guys at practices, holding our own against SC10's and Blitzes.

So naturally we're thinking about racing, but neither of us really know what its all about. How does racing at the local level usually work? I'm guessing its points based and not brackets or something else, correct? Also, I'm guessing that the guys who actually race are better than most of the guys who show up at practice, so I'm mentally preparing myself to get stomped on.

Your races likely have a novice class you would be able to race in until you start stomping the poo poo out of everyone, then they'll kick you up to the normal classes :).

I just got into this poo poo a month and a half ago - showed up having basically ZERO time with a r/c car, did one practice night then showed up to race in novice the next evening and had an absolute riot even though I drove like total poo poo. The novice class is there for a reason... you gotta start somewhere!

If you've been practicing for a couple of months you're not going to have ANYTHING to worry about. Like with any kind of racing, one of the most important aspects of rc racing is consistency -- If you can make it through a qualifier/main without getting marshaled or only a couple of times, there's a drat good chance you're going to be right at the top. I'm not the fastest out there, but I've been routinely placing top 3-5 in Stock SCT against freakin sponsored drivers. They're consistent and fast, I'm just fairly consistent and yet it's enough to put me towards the top every race day.

Go give it a shot, you'll love it!

In other news my new (to me) 1/8th scale poo poo the bed last night. I was barreling down the straight and someone came off a jump wrong and landed going the wrong way on the straight. Full speed head on 1/8th scale collision. loving ouch :(. Nothing physically broke on the buggy which shocked the poo poo out of me, but it worked something loose in the speedo or motor. I re-soldered the joints and no such luck. Probably have to send it in to Tekin for repair.

gently caress.
:smithicide:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Phat_Albert posted:

The club I'm in (and from what I understand, most clubs) generally do:

3 Heat Races for Qualifying, with the orders all shuffled. Your worst heat is thrown out, and the fastest time in the heat is the Top Qualifier.

The mains are ordered by time, regardless of the heat you ran. If there is more than one main, then the top 1 and/or 2 (depending on # of entries) finishers get bumped into the next main; ie, top 2 of C goes to B, top 2 of B goes to A. This way, if you're a beginner driver, you're matched with people closer to your skill, and if you're improving enough to win at that level, you get to go up against faster drivers.

The points for the series are then awarded based on the final standings across all of the mains.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Goldmund posted:

Definitely get the Syma S107, it's hands down the best $30 I've ever spent. It's one of, if not the most popular of the mini-helis too, so parts are cheap and abundant. I've had mine for a few months now, and it is still running great despite all the walls and furniture I've run in to. After seeing mine in action, 3 other friends have bought one, and all of them have been completely satisfied.

The other day I ordered it's big brother, the 24" S031 outdoor model. It's on the truck for delivery today, can't wait to try that one out.

I just ordered myself an S107G, I've been wanting to get an RC heli for a while and having just also ordered a GoPro, I want to start learning so I can get a big one and do stuff like this. Let me know how the S031 goes, I might give that one a try after I've gotten the hang of the little one around my flat, there's a local seller who has them for what seems to be a good price.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On a non-rc related front, GoPros are awesome. I just got one as well, and I've been shooting everything with it. From timelapses, to 60fps video attached to a ski while downhill skiing.

Havent figured out how to attach it securely to my Slash yet though, I'd like to film a lap or two around my local track.

I seriously stuffed my plane yesterday, but once I get that running again, I'm putting the gopro on it

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I just ordered myself an S107G, I've been wanting to get an RC heli for a while and having just also ordered a GoPro, I want to start learning so I can get a big one and do stuff like this. Let me know how the S031 goes, I might give that one a try after I've gotten the hang of the little one around my flat, there's a local seller who has them for what seems to be a good price.

I'm starting to think the S031 wasn't such a good idea for Nebraska. It's so drat windy here that it's going to be a challenge finding days I'm able to fly it. Took it out to the in-laws farm this past weekend, and once it got 10 feet off the ground the wind carried it about 100 yards out into a field. On the plus side, they seem to be sturdily built. Mine dropped out of the sky from about 25 feet up, and didn't take any damage on the landing. Luckily it fell into soft dirt and not a hard surface, but I was still surprised that nothing broke on it.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
lovely cell phone pic but I painted my first body!

I'd been borrowing a practice body from a friend till now for the (not so new anymore) FT SC10 I built awhile ago. The painting went ok, not the greatest but it's going to get beat up anyway, no use in putting a ton of time into it. The one thing that pisses me off was my lovely tape job around the rollbars lead to some bleed through. Oh well :(

Got my e converted Mugen up and running, come to find out the Tekin RX8 took a dump when that dude smashed me a week ago or so. I picked up a spare from a local dude, going to send the other unit in for service. Then I'll have a speedo to use when the SC10 4wd is released :q:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Where's the best place to buy fuel? My LHS mostly only carries fuel for planes or Traxxas, at 20%, and I need 30.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So how about a little update.

It doesn't look much different does it?

I finally got my new lipo's in the mail. The cells I picked up were 420mah cells. ONE takes up the whole space of the original 4.8v pack. I made a saddle pack. I was initially going to strap it to the sides of the chassis between the body and the frame rails. But I couldn't come up with an elegant mounting solution.

So....

I put one cell in the original holder, and used two zip ties to strap the second between the shock mounts, and the stock battery holder. It works really well, and you can't see it from the outside.

Now it will pop a wheelie.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

It's finished.

I think I've got the engine broken in now, it SCREEEEEEEAMS. The kit assembly was pretty straightforward and easy. Dammit, I said I wasn't going to get into nitro, too, and now I have 3 of 'em.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
The more I run at the local outdoor track, the more I see gas cars. The more I see gas cars, the more my resistance wains :(.

Came across a deal I couldn't refuse last weekend so I'm back up to four cars again :woop:. Picked up a nearly new but slightly busted up T4.1 and an old factory team b4 that needs a little work plus some extras for a freakin SONG... I probably have the b4 sold already, don't have much interest in 1/10th scale buggy unless it's a TLR 22 (which I've seen a few of now and they are EXTREMELY nice, wouldn't mind picking one of those up down the line) or maybe a 4wd buggy since I love breaking poo poo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ran my first race (well, heat really) last weekend. It was fun, but the big problem was that the track was running heats and mains for 17 classes. Yes, 17. What started at 10AM didnt finish till 10PM or later. I wasnt hanging around to find out.

In the one heat I ran in, I did OK, until I stripped a wheel hex, and spent the last two laps with basically no power.

I got new wheels and tires (barcodes) this past week, and the barcodes are about 100x better than the proline badlands I was running. I'm tempted to sit through the whole process again just because I'm at least a couple seconds faster with the barcodes.

It cant be normal to run that many classes on race day can it? How does anyone have the time to dedicate to it?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Phat_Albert posted:

Ran my first race (well, heat really) last weekend. It was fun, but the big problem was that the track was running heats and mains for 17 classes. Yes, 17.

It cant be normal to run that many classes on race day can it? How does anyone have the time to dedicate to it?

Wow! We run maybe 6, tops, usually closer to 5, and that's practically an all-day thing. Psycho Nitro Blast had something like 40 heat races, and they ran 3 rounds of 'em. Those went REALLY quick, though, it was extremely organized.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It was insane, 17 classes, at least 5 minutes per race, with another 5-10 minutes between races for people to shuffle in and out and get the marshals in place, doing all that 5x over for 3 heats and 2 mains.

The worst part was just sitting around all day waiting to race, racing for 5 minutes, and then knowing you had another 4 hours before you'd get on the track again.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
e - they need to be more efficient between races. The place I run at averages under 9 minutes total for a 5 minute race, marshal shuffling included. The three quals and double mains isn't helping either holy crap.

Phat_Albert posted:

17 classes, or 17 races total? The Wednesday night races at the local indoor track regularly has 9-12 races with 5 or 6 classes represented (novice, stock SCT, mod STC, mod truck, and mod buggy are the norm, have been seeing some stock buggy recently, and 1/8th scales sometimes run on wed. but mostly on the weekends). We only run two qualifiers though, and single mains. Takes 4.5hrs give or take.

needknees fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 4, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

needknees posted:

e - they need to be more efficient between races. The place I run at averages under 9 minutes total for a 5 minute race, marshal shuffling included. The three quals and double mains isn't helping either holy crap.

17 classes, or 17 races total? The Wednesday night races at the local indoor track regularly has 9-12 races with 5 or 6 classes represented (novice, stock SCT, mod STC, mod truck, and mod buggy are the norm, have been seeing some stock buggy recently, and 1/8th scales sometimes run on wed. but mostly on the weekends). We only run two qualifiers though, and single mains. Takes 4.5hrs give or take.

17 classes, 3 qualifiers, 2 mains. 85 races total, at say 10 minutes per race, shuffling included is 14 hours. Which is high, but a good ballpark time. They must have run less qualifiers and/or mains for some classes, but according to the people who have done it before, it goes from 10AM to 10PM or midnight depending on how quickly everyone moves.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Hey, Sgt. Squeaks - are you going to GCS Round #5 in Savannah? Since that's my "home" track, I'm thinking of signing up just to see how bad I embarrass myself. I figure if I run, it'll keep everyone else out of last place.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

It's not set in stone, but I'm really hoping to make it. I've never been to Savannah and I would like to head down there sometime for a mini-vacation. And what better reason than for a race.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
I've skimmed the thread and have been looking at Traxxas trucks as an option.

I really like what I see in the Slash for the price value but I have a few questions.

I want something that will take some backyard and driveway tomfoolery. I'm not going to do 9 foot airborne jumps. I would like to be able to run it up a lot of junk.

Basically I don't mind spending upwards of $400 on something that can let a newbie play around and have fun on a weekend afternoon around the yard for a while. The waterproofness of the electric ones is awesome but if going for a T-Maxx lets me have fun for a couple hours I'll do it.

If I get an E-Maxx it looks like an awesome truck. What would be my best option for buying a couple spare batteries while using the rest of the truck stock? If I could get 30 minutes out of a battery I'd be thrilled.

edit: I know it's a jumbled post but basically I don't want a money pit. I have a real car for that, heh. I lean towards an E-Maxx for reliability but I am unsure what it would take to fool around for an hour. How many spare batteries? I see you can upgrade to better battery types but I have no idea.

From what I gather to start out what would I need?

1. $400 for the truck.
2. A few spare 3000mah 7 cell batteries? Seem to run $20 on eBay all day long.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 8, 2011

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

VibrioCholera posted:

I've skimmed the thread and have been looking at Traxxas trucks as an option.

I really like what I see in the Slash for the price value but I have a few questions.

I want something that will take some backyard and driveway tomfoolery. I'm not going to do 9 foot airborne jumps. I would like to be able to run it up a lot of junk.

Basically I don't mind spending upwards of $400 on something that can let a newbie play around and have fun on a weekend afternoon around the yard for a while. The waterproofness of the electric ones is awesome but if going for a T-Maxx lets me have fun for a couple hours I'll do it.

If I get an E-Maxx it looks like an awesome truck. What would be my best option for buying a couple spare batteries while using the rest of the truck stock? If I could get 30 minutes out of a battery I'd be thrilled.

edit: I know it's a jumbled post but basically I don't want a money pit. I have a real car for that, heh. I lean towards an E-Maxx for reliability but I am unsure what it would take to fool around for an hour. How many spare batteries? I see you can upgrade to better battery types but I have no idea.

From what I gather to start out what would I need?

1. $400 for the truck.
2. A few spare 3000mah 7 cell batteries? Seem to run $20 on eBay all day long.

Any reason you're drawn to monster trucks? If you want something super fun to bash around that you could take to the track if you wanted to, I'd suggest the brushless Slash 4x4 VXL. It's going to be plenty fast and beefy enough to take big hits. Throw a 3 cell lipo in there and it'll scream.

Definitely make the jump to lipos instead of messing around with the NiMH batts. Longer runtimes with less weight, don't have to worry about fully discharging the battery like you need to with the NiMH stuff. A little more investment but a lot less hassle. You'll want a better charger than what comes with the truck anyway so might as well get one that'll handle lipo/LiFE to start with.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

needknees posted:

Any reason you're drawn to monster trucks? If you want something super fun to bash around that you could take to the track if you wanted to, I'd suggest the brushless Slash 4x4 VXL. It's going to be plenty fast and beefy enough to take big hits. Throw a 3 cell lipo in there and it'll scream.

Definitely make the jump to lipos instead of messing around with the NiMH batts. Longer runtimes with less weight, don't have to worry about fully discharging the battery like you need to with the NiMH stuff. A little more investment but a lot less hassle. You'll want a better charger than what comes with the truck anyway so might as well get one that'll handle lipo/LiFE to start with.

I was hoping to stay cheap if I went with the Slash and WAS just going to get a 2WD model. I don't see a brushless 4x4 model listed.

I liked monster trucks just because it looks like I can run it through hell and back but I did see a few videos of Slash in action and they definitely look zippy.

Are there easy conversion kits to LiPo? I wouldn't want to ruin anything and it all seems so complicated to get into. I wish they'd be like: Here's your truck, here's the kit you need, here's the gearing, and whatever else.

edit: I see the 4X4 actually has an easy to read chart like this. Traxxas doesn't actually sell LiPo though do they?

Also I think I'm sold on the Slash in general. Would going with the 2WD to start be a decent option? Putting a 2S LiPo in it for life and not power? I'd like to keep the start up cost low but I know if I buy a truck that has 10-15 minutes of run time I'll bore of it in a day.

Would I go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Slash-4X4-Brushless-2-4GHz-Radio/dp/B0031C9TQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302281380&sr=8-1 (Slash 4x4 1/10)

And one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/5000mAh-Li-Polymer-Battery-Traxxas-Connector/dp/B0036W8JZ2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1302281464&sr=8-6 (11.1V 5000mAh 25C Li-Polymer Battery Pack with Traxxas Connector)

If that will keep me plenty occupied bashing it around the yard and flying around the street for a while I'd be extremely satisfied with all of that. Bonus points for racing it later down the line?

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 8, 2011

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

VibrioCholera posted:

Stuff

The Slash 4x4 VXL is brushless and LiPo ready.

LiPo's are essential unless you want to be constantly waiting for batteries to charge.

I have the 4x4 Slash, and it is great. Other than a few seized bearings, I haven't broken any parts. It's durable.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I've been using Protek RC LiPos (they're ROAR compliant) in hard packs and they rock. A little more than Turnigy batteries, but after the shipping and all with HobbyKing it evens out. I get the ones with banana plugs so you can use whatever kind of plug end you want.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Raced my D8 for my first 1/8 race ever yesterday... I got my rear end handed to me, but I had an absolute ball! I ran both 1/8 buggy and Short Course, both were back-to-back, and I was exhausted by the time I was done. I was still back-of-the-pack for the most part, but my lap times are really starting to improve. The guys I've been racing against are all really good, so if I can get ANY sort of position over anyone, I get excited.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The joys of racing :) That's what it's all about!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VibrioCholera posted:

Also I think I'm sold on the Slash in general. Would going with the 2WD to start be a decent option? Putting a 2S LiPo in it for life and not power? I'd like to keep the start up cost low but I know if I buy a truck that has 10-15 minutes of run time I'll bore of it in a day.

Would I go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Slash-4X4-Brushless-2-4GHz-Radio/dp/B0031C9TQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302281380&sr=8-1 (Slash 4x4 1/10)

And one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/5000mAh-Li-Polymer-Battery-Traxxas-Connector/dp/B0036W8JZ2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1302281464&sr=8-6 (11.1V 5000mAh 25C Li-Polymer Battery Pack with Traxxas Connector)

If that will keep me plenty occupied bashing it around the yard and flying around the street for a while I'd be extremely satisfied with all of that. Bonus points for racing it later down the line?

If you have any interest in racing, the Slash is the answer. Most places will have classes for both the 2x4 and the 4x4. If you also want to bash with it, the 4x4 is the best bet. It wont go over quite as much as a monster truck, but it also wont spend as much time on its roof as a monster truck, and its still very capable, especially with some good tires.

If you want to save money on batteries, get these. You'll have to solder Traxxas connectors onto them. I run them in my Slash and they're actually underrated, they'll take about 5200mah of charge.

Also, charging on the cheap is tougher. If you have an external power supply (like a PC power supply), you can push 10 amps into your batteries with this. If you dont have one, I recommend something like this.

You'll also want a lipo bag to charge the batteries in.

Whatever you do though, get lipo batteries, the performance and life difference is night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Definitely go LiPo. I went from barely able to finish a heat with a NiMh to only losing about .4 volts during a 10-minute main. The extra punch you get in the throttle is worth it, too!