Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Hey everyone, wondering if I could get some feedback on my portfolio and resume. It's time to start looking for a new job and I need some more feedback on the stuff I'm handing out to people.

resume:
http://www.mcthrill.com/downloads/gerritt_mcgill_resume.pdf

portfolio:
http://www.mcthrill.com/downloads/gerritt_mcgill_portfolio.pdf

For the resume I mainly need feedback on the content and writing, the layout is only temporary and will not be the final layout. As far as the portfolio, are there any projects that should be taken out? What about the order of the projects?

If anyone has time to take a look, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz

gmc9987 posted:

Resume/Portfolio stuff

I would put the info on your resume in the following order:

1. Name/Email/Phone/Website
2. Employment history
3. Skills
4. Education
5. Awards

As for your portfolio, don't bother writing a paragraph about each piece. One short sentence would suffice. I've never met a reviewer who would suggest writing very much on a portfolio page. The work really does need to stand for itself.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I love your portfolio layout.
But as pancaek said, that's a lot of text.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
Two sentences:

1. What the project is.

2. Your roll in the project.

Link to the project (if interactive)

If you have copies of these posters in physical format - take high quality photos and use those instead, they help.

Change formats, its cluttered and heavy.

Perhaps do a page with the title of the project, a page of setup (your two sentences) and then a page of visuals.

This paces the book better and keeps it sparse and clean.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Thanks everybody, those responses were a big help. I'm making changes as we speak, I'll update when the next version is done.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone have any good examples of covering letters? I need a covering letter doing this evening and I have no idea where to start.

E: I'll elaborate a little; The position I'm going for is a trainee CAD position. A couple of programs they mention, I am not proficient in, should I mention in my covering letter, something like, "I have no experience in X but feel my experience in Y will be extremely transferable?"

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 1, 2011

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
It's always been explained to me that your cover letter should basically tell the employer why you would be the best candidate for the job, so I wouldn't assume that mentioning deficiencies would be part of that. Basically, I've heard from people that it should complement your resume, and tell the employer why you want to work for them and what benefits you will bring to the company. Go into detail and give the employer some details that they wouldn't know just from your resume.

Unfortunately I don't have any examples of cover letters right now except for one that I wrote. I might as well post it here too, because I'm sure it needs some help as well.

quote:

Dear Mr. Olsen,

I am writing in reference to the posting for Senior Visual Designer that you placed on the Behance network. I currently have 5 years of professional experience and believe that I would be a perfect fit for the job.

I am impressed by Hot Studio's desire to create beautiful, well-designed experiences, whether they are fully interactive applications or a simple logo. I am no stranger to creating engaging experiences, having worked in the educational game industry for the last 5 years. The work that I have created has to keep the attention of one of the toughest audiences around, middle school teenagers. Several of the projects I've been involved with, including Science Pirates: the curse of Brownbeard, have released nationally and been adopted into the science curriculum of local middle schools. Our mutual desire to create engaging, beautiful experiences is the main reason that I am applying for this position.

My current employment is in a small studio with tight deadlines, so I am no stranger to working under pressure. I do whatever it takes to get the job done and exceed the client's expectations. Good communication is necessary to create a good product, and I make it my top priority to ensure that everyone on my team knows exactly what is expected of them and me, as I know that any fault in communication can increase the workload of the entire team. While working on Treadsylvania, I found our team entering production crunch time with one less project leader than planned and two brand-new student artists as our production team. It could have been a disaster, but thanks to an organized work environment and my own experience as a Flash instructor, the new artists were up to speed and creating professional artwork in a matter of hours.

I put my best into everything I create, and inspire everyone to do their best as well. I have the skills, the know-how, and the work ethic necessary to succeed at Hot Studio. My resume is attached to this email, and you may view my portfolio online at http://behance.net/McThrill. I look forward to hearing back from you to set up an interview or to answer any questions you may have.

Writing cover letters gets easier the more you do it. One thing I would recommend is writing a cover letter, then proofreading it the next day before you send it off again. Also, this may not apply to you, but write a new cover letter for each place oyu send to, tailor it specifically to the studio and the job posting. It also helps to find the name of the person who will be reviewing your application.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Well here's what I have so far:

quote:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to apply for the position of Graduate CAD Trainee. X is a true British institution that for decades has designed and manufactured some of the most beautiful cars in the world. It is because of this I have aspired to join a company that I have admired for years, to both fulfil my potential as a designer and make my mark in such a prestigious company.

As a recent graduate of Coventry University, who have produced some of the country’s top automotive designers, I bring the energy and innovative thinking necessary to prosper within X.

I am extremely motivated and very tenacious when it comes to problem solving. As well as my current extensive skills catalogue, I am always looking for new techniques and programs to learn so that I may further myself, and my employer. I thrive in a team based environment but am also happy to take on work myself and accept responsibility for the result.

I am excited about the opportunity to join the X team and I thank you for your time and consideration. Please find enclosed my CV and portfolio for further information.

Sincerely,

Thoughts on where to go from here? I am absolutely useless when it comes to writing stuff like this.

sparkleheart
Jun 27, 2010

I graduated uni with a BFA (graphic design concentration) but instead of getting an arts job after I spent 3 years teaching/ translating in Japan. Now I'm back in the US and seem to be stuck with internships and random freelance jobs because of my lack of GD experience and the lovely economy. Do I go back to school and get my MFA? Do I just keep shuffling through these random jobs?

Most GD job postings I see ask for a designer who can program for the web. Though I have taught myself the basics of html/ css I feel like I am not skilled enough to create an entire professional quality website (things like security, best practices, other web languages?). Is it worth getting some kind of Magical Unicorn Web Programming Certification?

I have no RL friends who design professionally so any advice you can offer would be a great help.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to apply for the position of Graduate CAD Trainee. X is a true British institution that for decades has designed and manufactured some of the most beautiful cars in the world. It is because of this I have aspired to join a company that I have admired for years, to both fulfil my potential as a designer and make my mark in such a prestigious company.

As a recent graduate of Coventry University, who have produced some of the country’s top automotive designers, I bring the energy and innovative thinking necessary to prosper within X.

I am extremely motivated and very tenacious when it comes to problem solving. As well as my current extensive skills catalogue, I am always looking for new techniques and programs to learn so that I may further myself, and my employer. I thrive in a team based environment but am also happy to take on work myself and accept responsibility for the result.

I am excited about the opportunity to join the X team and I thank you for your time and consideration. Please find enclosed my CV and portfolio for further information.

Sincerely,

The biggest problem I see with this letter is that it only talks about how you will benefit from the position. You want to tell the employer how THEY will benefit from hiring YOU. Take out everything about how you will prosper and what you want to do in the company and replace it with how the company will prosper from you. Put in some details about projects you've worked on or specifics on why you would be so awesome for this company to hire.

Also, I've heard that it's best to break the letter down like so:

1st paragraph: explain how you heard about the position and why you chose to apply - did you hear about it through a friend? Teacher? Website? Which website?

2nd paragraph: explain why you want to work for the company. Talk about tehri reuptation/ things they have made, and sell yourself as the guy who knows he can meet their standards. Talk about some specific points from the job posting.

3rd paragraph: talk about how some of the experience on your resume makes you a good candidate. Try to give some details about things that are on your resume / in your portfolio that they can't get from either of those. Relate those to responsibilities or qualifications in the job posting.

4th paragraph: one more sell, let them know what is attached to the email (or what will be enclosed in the envelope, if this is snail mail) and what your next course of action will be (i.e., "I look forward to hearing back from you to set up an interview or answer any questions you might have").

Sign with your name, and contact info.

Keep in mind, I have yet to actually get a job from this, I am solely going off of advice other people have given me so take my advice with a grain of salt. However, one of the things that I have heard over and over again is to emphasize what the company will gain from hiring you, and make no mention of what you will gain from being hired. The company already knows that you are getting a lot out of this (insurance, benefits, prestige, salary, etc). Also, don't start with "Sir or madam," call and find the name of the person who will be reviewing your application. If you can't find out, put "hiring manager" or some more official sounding position.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Their names is Val so I'm not sure if they're male or female. Dammit.
Thanks for the advice. This is really difficult.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

A5H posted:

Their names is Val so I'm not sure if they're male or female. Dammit.
Thanks for the advice. This is really difficult.

Can you not call the company and ask the receptionist? I've done that with different companies I've applied to, and the receptionist has always given me any information I've asked for regarding who looks over the applications.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sparkleheart posted:

Do I go back to school and get my MFA? Do I just keep shuffling through these random jobs?
If you get an MFA you still won't have any professional work history or commercial pieces in your portfolio.

quote:

Is it worth getting some kind of Magical Unicorn Web Programming Certification?
No, programming certs are all bullshit but learning some Jquery and PHP won't hurt. A lot of places that would hire entry-level people need someone who can "wear multiple hats", for web stuff that's usually design and program but it could be other things as well. Most of those gigs you're seeing aren't looking for a CS grad or DBA just someone who won't break the CMS.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

gmc9987 posted:

Can you not call the company and ask the receptionist? I've done that with different companies I've applied to, and the receptionist has always given me any information I've asked for regarding who looks over the applications.

Sorted, thanks buddy.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Alright, I changed my resume text around, gave it a new design, and removed 90% of the text from my portfolio. Anyone care to give me some feedback?

http://www.mcthrill.com/downloads/gerritt_mcgill_resume2.pdf

http://www.mcthrill.com/downloads/gerritt_mcgill_portfolio2.pdf

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

gmc9987 posted:

Alright, I changed my resume text around, gave it a new design, and removed 90% of the text from my portfolio. Anyone care to give me some feedback?

http://www.mcthrill.com/downloads/gerritt_mcgill_resume2.pdf

http://www.mcthrill.com/downloads/gerritt_mcgill_portfolio2.pdf

Much improved. :)

Overall the hierarchy is pretty good, but I feel like the font size is a bit large in the body copy. It may just be how I'm seeing it, but double check your size -- I think that typeface would be happiest at a 9.5pt or 10pt.

I think that the indents on your bullets should go in just a smidge more -- 1 or 2pt -- or be brought out to align with the headers. There isn't sufficient contrast there, it seems to kind of waffle in the middle.

I'm not entirely sold on the centered-vertical section dividers. It's an arguable point, but I would probably just put them at the top, and lock them to the baseline (along with everything else.)

I would go through and scrub for small things. For example: you are missing a space in your phone number on your resume.
You are mixing up en dashes and hyphens in both resume and portfolio, you are using an x instead of the mathematical multiply glyph.

I also wonder if the rule lines are too thick. They look like 1pt, and they seem a bit heavy. Have you experimented with a .25 line?

these are all small things; i think overall its pretty good.

putang
Dec 19, 2005

Looking for advice so I don't lose my mind:

I'm a digital media graduate from a Uni in Florida and ended up moving back in with my mom in rural Florida. I was getting super stressed out living with her so after 8 months I decided to move to Orange County in California with some relatives. I'm hoping to eventually have some sort of graphic design career.

Personally, I feel like I didn't take school seriously enough (not taking advantage of internships and such) and that the program at my school was really just a big mess. Looking back, I should have done a different field of study, but all of that is just should have, could have, would have stuff that I can't change now.

I'm a little over a year out of college and I've only had a part-time job here and there. I'm really trying to work on building my portfolio by asking friends if they have any work they need done or looking for low-pay/free freelance work. My roadblock here though is that I feel like my skills aren't good enough for this field. I've never taken a drawing class because my university wouldn't let me take one since it wasn't part of my curriculum in my major, which I think is utter bullshit. I've also never touched InDesign or Quark and have minimum knowledge of Illustrator. Since I'm in the LA area now, I'm trying to find ways to network around here, but I'm finding it a little difficult because I don't have a car yet.

I've already been living with my relatives for four months now and haven't had any luck finding a job. I'm stressing myself out because I feel like I'm overstaying my welcome as a freeloader and I really want to contribute to living here in any way. Thoughts of moving back to Florida have crossed my mind, but that would just lead to more stress and frustration.

How can I find motivation through this rough period? I feel like I've wasted four years of my life where I barely learned anything in the career I want to pursue. I really do want to eventually have a career in Graphic Design, but I'm wondering if that's just a lost cause now. I may possibly have a part time job where my uncle works soon and thoughts of just moving up the ladder there and landing a job in corporate should just be the way I should go.

I really don't want to post this mostly e/n post, but I feel like I'm coming to the end of my rope and I really don't want to give up on my dream.

tldr; Been a digital media graduate for a year, having no luck finding job, I feel like I wasted time at uni and have no skills to become a graphic designer. Should I give up on my dream and just hope to land a desk job?

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

putang posted:

Looking for advice so I don't lose my mind:

You said you were lacking in Adobe skills and have been looking for work for four months. Have you gotten any better at those Adobe programs in those four months? In the time you're looking for a job, try to build up your skills. It's awful trying to do stuff when you're unemployed (I've been there and it loving sucks), but it doesn't hurt to try.

If you want practice making graphic design stuff, walk down to the local library or soup kitchen or any non-profit and offer to make them some graphics - a poster, flier, whatever - and then gently caress around in Photoshop and InDesign until you make them something nice. There's probably no money but you're doing something, getting experience, and getting yourself out there, and you can add real-life work to your portfolio.

Also, what the hell goes into a digital media degree? Seeing as you came out not knowing InDesign or Illustrator I'm confused about what it is exactly.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Authentic You posted:

You said you were lacking in Adobe skills and have been looking for work for four months. Have you gotten any better at those Adobe programs in those four months? In the time you're looking for a job, try to build up your skills. It's awful trying to do stuff when you're unemployed (I've been there and it loving sucks), but it doesn't hurt to try.

If you want practice making graphic design stuff, walk down to the local library or soup kitchen or any non-profit and offer to make them some graphics - a poster, flier, whatever - and then gently caress around in Photoshop and InDesign until you make them something nice. There's probably no money but you're doing something, getting experience, and getting yourself out there, and you can add real-life work to your portfolio.

Also, what the hell goes into a digital media degree? Seeing as you came out not knowing InDesign or Illustrator I'm confused about what it is exactly.

"Digital Media" could encompass things like CG animation and such. I have a degree with a similar name (Computer Graphics), and the major focus was on animation techniques and 3D modeling. Fortunately for me, I also had a passion for graphic design and took a lot of electives related to that and came out with a pretty well-rounded knowledge base. I'll freely admit that I also did not take advantage of internships, though nor for lack of trying. Some of it was the school's fault. They just didn't have a good system in place for art-field interning. I suppose I could have done better research into that though. POINT BEING, find a school with a good internship program and make sure you utilize it.

putang
Dec 19, 2005

Thanks for replying to my post. I was actually thinking of getting rid of today cause I felt it was too whiny.

I have been attempting to do a project a week, but like you said, it is pretty hard to stay focused and motivated with the the weight of being unemployed hanging over your head. My boyfriend has been a really great help with keeping me positive and reminding me that it's always tough in the beginning. The idea of going to local community centers is a good idea, thanks. I realize that at this point I shouldn't be hoping for projects that will be bringing in the dough since I really just need to work on my portfolio.

As for my digital media degree, it was kind of like 'here have a taste for each of these aspects in 'digital media''. For Boogaloo Shrimp, they focused on CG animation. For me it was more focused on Website Design, which I didn't really like. I thought the program would get better with the upper division classes, but it didn't. The random classes I had were intro to Maya, an audio editing class, video editing class, photoshop/flash basics, game design in flash, photoshop/illustrator basics. And then a hand full of film classes.

I wanted to take electives that focused more on graphic design but my university wouldn't let me override the fact that the classes I wanted weren't a part of my curriculum. I thought about changing majors but I was really worried about not graduating in four years because my mom threatened to not support me if I didn't graduate in time :| welp!

I'm feeling tons better now, though. I'll have a part time job at the grocery store by the end of the month so I have some sort of income and that has taken a lot of weight off my shoulders. Now I won't feel bad when my relatives ask me why I'm doing projects for free when I need to be making money. (My uncle didn't understand that I need to build up my portfolio first)

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

I knew what my degree curriculum was going in; I genuinely thought that's what I wanted to study. After being in the program for 3 years I discovered that it wasn't for me. I decided to finish out my degree anyway since I only had 1 year left, didn't want to spend a lot of money, and had the foresight to take a wide variety of other art classes divergent from my major (illustration, figure drawing, printmaking, advertising design, industrial design, etc). I think a lot of college is about the act of self-discovery; it's really when you become an "adult" and find your professional passion.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

putang posted:

it is pretty hard to stay focused and motivated with the the weight of being unemployed hanging over your head
I'm not trying to discourage you but the constant threat of doom hanging over your head is kind of standard operating procedure in most creative industries. Use that fear to trigger action instead of paralysis!

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

qirex posted:

I'm not trying to discourage you but the constant threat of doom hanging over your head is kind of standard operating procedure in most creative industries. Use that fear to trigger action instead of paralysis!

This.

It isn't like you can't do it, just work harder.

I'm sympathetic to how much it sucks, but it doesn't have to cripple you.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
I'm going through kind of the same thing and it is hard, but you just got to break on through. I get distracted really easily and I think most people do; try scheduling your time out. I found that if I treat my days like I'm at work and get in that mindset so I'm waking up early and getting to work and having a lunch break, etc. I put in 8 hours yesterday on my portfolio. Woke up at 8:30am and worked basically nonstop till 6pm with a few breaks to get food and whatnot.

I'm not really sure about your field, but you can make mock stuff for companies or whatever you want to do. You don't actually have to get hired for something. Just be critical about your work and keep remaking your portfolio with new and better stuff.

Basically what everyone else has been telling you.

Hang in there! Kick some rear end!

putang
Dec 19, 2005

Thanks for the replies, guys. Your advice was some stuff I already knew, I just needed it all knocked into me again and to stop being such a pussy. hah

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can anyone help me get a 40mb PDF down to 3mb?!

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

A5H posted:

Can anyone help me get a 40mb PDF down to 3mb?!

what program are you making it in?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I built the pages in PS then exported them as jpegs and then build the pdf in adobe indesign.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

A5H posted:

I built the pages in PS then exported them as jpegs and then build the pdf in adobe indesign.

You could get smaller sizes if you only make the graphics in Photoshop and use InDesign for all your text placement (I am assuming that your PDF has images and text on the pages, if it's just images ignore this part).

Under file - export, choose PDF and click save. Once the settings page comes up, click on the compression option and change all the numbers to 150. This forces indesign to downsample the images from whatever resolution they were imported as to 150 DPI, which means a smaller file size. The downside to this is that it won't print very well. If it's still to large, you can try 72 DPI but your viewer won't be able to zoom in without getting pixelated images.

Also, I wouldn't export JPGS from photoshop for this - save your pages as a lossless, print-ready format like TIFF or PSD and let InDesign handle all the compression at the end. The big thing is to use indesign for what it was made for - laying out text and graphics together, don't use photoshop for text.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Aw goddammit this is going to take forever :(
I wasted my time doing anything in PS hahaha. Is there no way to open a psd in indesign? So all the text says separate etc?

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

A5H posted:

Aw goddammit this is going to take forever :(
I wasted my time doing anything in PS hahaha. Is there no way to open a psd in indesign? So all the text says separate etc?

Nope, because Photoshop is a pixel based application (with support for vector). The best you could hope for is that you copy/paste the text out of Photoshop and relayout in InDesign.

Since you have the pages already placed in InDesign, all you need to do is copy/paste on top of the existing layout (quick way I do this is to colorize the text I am coping, so that I can see any differences quickly).

An alternative way is to Acrobat Professional (Advanced tab > PDF Optimize) and lower the settings and save that way. The problem with this, is that all of the text is rasterized, so you will lose clarity and readability.

Saveron_01 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 9, 2011

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Hello CC! I know I don't post here often, but hopefully I can make it up to you guys with this: full-time, in-house writing gigs in Somerville, MA! :toot:

Job listings: updated April 22!
SPANISH FLUENT Gadget Reviewer & Editor
FRENCH FLUENT Gadget Reviewer & Editor
CHINESE FLUENT Gadget Reviewer & Editor

And here's a link to my post in the job opening thread, which has already landed one goon his "dream" job!

Since the copy in that listing makes me twitch, here's a summary that doesn't use the word "gadget" 10 times:

quote:

Reviewed.com is a network of different review sites, each one focusing on a specific product category. We get in products, run them through a bunch of lab tests, then produce objective, in-depth reviews of an almost prohibitive length.

As the CL listing says, we're a small company that's backed by a big company. Basically, USA Today gave us a bunch of money and said, "keep doing what you do, only do it for us." We're using these funds to aggressively expand our network—that's where you guys come in!

What we're looking for, above all else: someone who's smart, analytical, a decent writer, and a quick learner. We're still growing, so things shift around a lot. I originally applied for a job writing cell phone reviews (which I knew knowing about at the time). Now I'm in charge of the TV site and a handful of smaller sites, and soon I'll be full-time new site R&D. :iiam:

If you want to know what it's like to work here, have any other questions about the position, or just want to trade contact info, send me a PM or an email (mention your SA handle).

Update: If you're interested you should probably send in your resumes soonish. We're starting to schedule interviews as early as next Tuesday.

Update 2: Apparently goons are strong applicants! We still have a few more positions open, if anyone is interested. It wouldn't hurt if you knew Spanish or Portuguese!

March 30th Update: :siren:LOTS OF NEW JOBS!:siren: We're doing another round of hiring right now!

April 22 update: It looks like we're mainly looking for foreign language editors now! Bilingual goons rejoice!

rinski fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 22, 2011

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
So this being the school advice thread and all, are there any UK goons who could possibly answer some questions? Essentially, I'd like to get better with my illustration. I've been drawing for ten years now and I really feel like I've hit the absolute peak of what I can learn on my own. I am dyspraxic and dyslexic and I do not learn very well from the 'read tutorials online' approach. It's been been mentioned to me before but I am seriously interested in going back to school for an illustration course, but I don't know where to begin. There are so many things I do not know, not just about the technical side of drawing (I just cannot figure out how to digitally paint, my anatomy is out to lunch unless I'm drawing breasts, I avoid lighting because I just don't understand how it works) but about the academic side too.

My main concern at the moment would be to whether it would be as huge a benefit to me as I think (so for those goons who went to study art and/or illustration, do you really feel it made a life-changing difference for you?) and of course, money. I do not have a lot of money. I have no idea how the UK system for getting on a course is like or where I should even begin.

Thank you in advance goons.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Operation Juicebox posted:

So this being the school advice thread and all, are there any UK goons who could possibly answer some questions? Essentially, I'd like to get better with my illustration. I've been drawing for ten years now and I really feel like I've hit the absolute peak of what I can learn on my own. I am dyspraxic and dyslexic and I do not learn very well from the 'read tutorials online' approach. It's been been mentioned to me before but I am seriously interested in going back to school for an illustration course, but I don't know where to begin. There are so many things I do not know, not just about the technical side of drawing (I just cannot figure out how to digitally paint, my anatomy is out to lunch unless I'm drawing breasts, I avoid lighting because I just don't understand how it works) but about the academic side too.

My main concern at the moment would be to whether it would be as huge a benefit to me as I think (so for those goons who went to study art and/or illustration, do you really feel it made a life-changing difference for you?) and of course, money. I do not have a lot of money. I have no idea how the UK system for getting on a course is like or where I should even begin.

Thank you in advance goons.

The way I see it, there's two definite advantages to taking classes - one is that you can learn from someone who is (hopefully) more accomplished than you, which will help you unlearn bad habits and avoid forming new ones, and the other is that classes force you to dedicating time and effort to completing projects. If you're not motivated to put in time or willing to listen to what the instructor has you do, then you won't really gain anything from class.

I have a question. I recently (about a week and a half ago) completed an art test for a potential employer. I have not heard back from them yet, and while I realize that it may take some time, I would at least like to know if they received my files (NOTE: I have checked my sent folder and the files did indeed make it out of my outbox). Would it be in poor form to send a thank-you note to the art director, who gave me the test? I realize it's customary to send thank-you letters for job interviews, but I don't know if it's appropriate here as we have only talked via e-mail. Should I send a thank-you e-mail or just keep waiting?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
I'd wait

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I was hoping I could get some advice on polishing my resume. I'm a graduating English major, and I want to try and get into either reading slush somewhere, entry-level editor's assistant type stuff, editorial internships, just something to get my foot in the door to get started towards editing, proofing, etc.

Here is what I have at the moment:
http://imgur.com/ZJAow

(the black bars cover personal info. Name at top and center, address on the left, e-mail and phone on the right)

I know for sure that I need a better focus statement (though I'd like to keep the name drop in the resume somewhere) and that the layout, while decently easy to read, isn't anything special either.

I need to focus on my degree, since (as an idiot who changed his mind about what he wanted to do with his degree very late in his college career) I don't have any work experience with editing or proofreading. I know that little things like being well-traveled, being an eagle scout, and having basic computer skills aren't all necessarily pertinent to the job either, but I need some sort of achievements to fill out the space. I also know that my summer construction job really doesn't qualify me for what I'm looking for either, but I felt that if I didn't include any work history at all, it might ring alarm bells, so I tried to frame the job in the best possible light.

Any advice I can get on how to make this thing stronger would be greatly appreciated.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 31, 2011

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums

gmc9987 posted:

My feedback is: spend the time instead updating your online portfolio with some of the work you've got in here. This portfolio is great for handing someone at an in-person interview, but when you're applying for work, art directors are for the most part going to want to hit your website first, and a lot of this (pretty decent) stuff just isn't on there.

Trust me, they'll appreciate that a lot more than being emailed a 10mb PDF.

gmc9987 posted:

Would it be in poor form to send a thank-you note to the art director, who gave me the test? I realize it's customary to send thank-you letters for job interviews, but I don't know if it's appropriate here as we have only talked via e-mail. Should I send a thank-you e-mail or just keep waiting?
A week and a half is enough time to send a "hey, I hope you received my test, thanks for the opportunity and looking forward to hearing from you", yeah. The art test is really supposed to be the last step before they bring you in so either they're dragging their feet, or they didn't like the test. Either way, a halfway decent employer shouldn't have a problem just shooting you a "hey man, I got your test, we're good right now but will keep you in mind for future work" blah blah.

Bryne fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 3, 2011

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold
Have a full-time job opening for Flash Animator - Art Lead in the San Francisco bay area.

The position is at a social gaming startup that is looking to build games that are aimed at more active gamers and are actually engaging and are fun to play, rather than the mindless clickers that Farmville and MafiaWars type games are.

This position is for the principle animator and creative lead - you would work on the art assets soup to nuts. Conceptualizing, creating the game's visual style, animating characters, environments, UI, etc...

If you're a student just out of school looking to prove yourself professionally, or an experienced artist that wants more creative control and responsibility, this is a great opportunity to build your resume and take the creative reins to show what you can really do.

Requirements:

* Advanced knowledge of Flash animation, Photoshop, and Illustrator
* Strong communications skills
* Character design skills, coloring ability, environment design, and illustration skills all desirable
* Ability to take direction well, when necessary, and especially to give direction well and collaborate with engineers to ensure that art and animations are properly implemented in the game.
* A penchant for producing high quality work and expecting the same from others.

Major Pluses:

* Good understanding of HTML
* Strong passion for gaming, game development experience (professionally and/or mods).
* UI/UX design experience
* Desire to get involved, to grow your skills and experience, and shape an opportunity with great potential

Reply to jobs5 at izelis.com with resumes/demo reels.

For those of you with experience in the industry, any pointers where else the talented flash folks hang out? Posting to Craigslist and the local Academy of Art job boards have not gotten us very promising candidates...

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums
Try Gamasutra or a recruiter. You are trying to hire a Flash artist in the Bay, possibly the second most over-exposed position right now right behind developers to work on Flash games.

Your best bet is to hop on LinkedIn, do some networking and research and look for artists at established casual game companies in your area who are in junior positions and want to move up to lead.

Decent Flash artists with the lead qualities you want in SF are probably already working for a well-funded game company. Despite the fact that many artists wouldn't know how to negotiate their way out of a paper bag, expect to pay a decent wage or offer equity in the company - both are common. I only bring this up because your post is full of "great opportunity to build your resume!" which sometimes just means "here is a stick to bite down on."

Bryne fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Hey guys, hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse here and can get some schooling/career direction advice.

I've been going to a traditional CSU since right out of highschool and I just don't enjoy it, and feel like I'm not gaining anything that would help me with a future career in what I'm interested. I felt like I could pursue a BA there while learning 3d art stuff on my own time, but recently I gave up and started looking into going to an Art school; Academy of Art in San Francisco to be more specific. My passion lies in being a stylized character artist, and at this point I just don't know what I should be doing to make that more than just a fun hobby I've had since I was a kid. I started learning most of the major 3d programs, but I'm indecisive and I'd love to do 3d art as well as traditional sculpting and stop motion and and and blah blah blah a million other things. A big problem that came up for me also is that it seems like 90% of the jobs that come from this type of schooling or even this type of art is geared towards the game industry, which I am not interested in doing full time.

Is the Art Academy the place for me? Would it be as beneficial to me as I'm hoping it would be? Would I be able to live out my dreams of working on Tim Burton sets for the rest of my life doing fun stuff, or am I doing just that, dreaming? It's a pretty big commitment for me as I just turned 21 and not sure I'm too far into learning on my own to try to just now start schooling for this stuff.

Any help would be very much appreciated, as it'll pretty much determine the next 4 years of my life. Thanks a lot guys :)

SVU Fan fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 13, 2011