Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BCR posted:

* Star Wars = A western in space for the self hating.
* Goons can't love a western unless its self hating, marxist, something something.
* Justify its not a western if it has lasers and swords and space samurai!
* Equals mad goon love for Star Wars because they can't admit to liking westerns.

:goonsay:

Aren't we (note that when many people say "Goons" they like to distance themselves as if they weren't part of the horde, so I use "we" here since we ARE goons) big Firefly fans? That's as big of a western as anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Star Wars is more samurai films in space than Westerns.

Also most people here seemed to like True Grit so much specifically because it was the first "real" Western in years. And I think 3:10 to Yuma got a good reception here for the same reason. (And obviously because both had good acting, scripts, etc also)

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 13, 2011

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE
It's done, bitches. The second-largest Super Star Destroyer model ever.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

NeonTurtle posted:

It's done, bitches. The second-largest Super Star Destroyer model ever.

Is that supposed to be a cityscape beneath it?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Is that supposed to be a cityscape beneath it?

He turned the model over for that shot.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

He turned the model over for that shot.

He means the stand itself.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He means this stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

arioch posted:

He means the stand itself.

I didn't scroll down until now, but wow.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Fox of Stone posted:

Aren't we (note that when many people say "Goons" they like to distance themselves as if they weren't part of the horde, so I use "we" here since we ARE goons) big Firefly fans? That's as big of a western as anything.

Saw that for the first time the other day, now wondering why I never saw it earlier.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

BCR posted:

* Star Wars = A western in space for the self hating.
* Goons can't love a western unless its self hating, marxist, something something.
* Justify its not a western if it has lasers and swords and space samurai!
* Equals mad goon love for Star Wars because they can't admit to liking westerns.

:goonsay:

Well poo poo, I hope Lowtax will give me back my :10bux: since I'm clearly not a goon. Unless I've been enjoying westerns ironically all this time.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I was reading a SW novel and had a thought about Storm Troopers... Why do they wear armour when one blaster bolt cooks them anyways? What is the armour supposed to protect against?

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
IIRC The reason given is that Storm Trooper armour is perfectly good at standing up to conventional small-arms fire (much like present day military body armour), but that Han Solo and others of his Ilk carry 'heavy' blasters specifically designed to punch through that kind of defence.

I can't quite accept this as it means that the base weapon for a storm trooper can go through their own armour (you'd think friendly fire would be a concern what with Storm Trooper Aim Syndrome), and that the armour is completely ineffective against Bowcaster fire when the biggest campaigns since the Separatist War have been against the Wookies.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
I don't know why Stormtrooper armour should be expected to protect from blaster fire at all. Maybe its function is just to look rad as hell and perhaps offer some protection from things like explosion shrapnel. Even in our reality protective tech against direct hits from longbows, crossbows or bullets hasn't been very successful until very recent times, so it would be plausible even in a starwarsy scifi-setting that firearms tech is simply better than available protection. Hell, the rebels don't seem to use any kind of body armour, so if countermeasures against blaster fire existed, shouldn't they use such as well?

So probably some moff at a mofference just went "hey guys let's design some badass looking uniform for our stormtroopers so they look cool and intimidating", end of story.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like to imagine the rebel helmet deflects any and all types of blaster fire which is why they didn't have enough cash to get anything else. I also like to imagine that in non-Tantive IV battles it was big enough to create a testudo formation with the things. :allears:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

oratiO_obliqua posted:

I don't know why Stormtrooper armour should be expected to protect from blaster fire at all. Maybe its function is just to look rad as hell and perhaps offer some protection from things like explosion shrapnel. Even in our reality protective tech against direct hits from longbows, crossbows or bullets hasn't been very successful until very recent times, so it would be plausible even in a starwarsy scifi-setting that firearms tech is simply better than available protection.

Yeah even today, an American Soldier doesn't have much protection from an assault rifle, even in full on combat armor, so I can accept that the armor can protect from weaker guns or close hits, but direct hits are done for.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Casimir Radon posted:

He means this stuff.

That is a thing of beauty. I want it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It is very impressive, I just wish he held a pencil or something next to it. I can't really get a good sense of scale.

fake edit: Nevermind, found a picture on a different part of the site while he was building it with a set of pliers next to it. That thing is huge.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah even today, an American Soldier doesn't have much protection from an assault rifle, even in full on combat armor, so I can accept that the armor can protect from weaker guns or close hits, but direct hits are done for.

The plates an American Soldier wears in his body armor can stand up to an AK round. But those plates are heavy, and only cover a portion of your front and back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV0pN-LaW6E

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I always assumed that the Empire just didn't care and like the TIE fighter just made loads cheaply because there was always people to replace them. Most of the time they're fighting Rebels or other Imperials.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
Why is it so difficult to believe that Stormtrooper armour is rated to protect against the kind of small arms that they would usually face (civilian blasters, "slugthrowers", etc) when not fighting a full-blown civil war, but that military-grade stuff would blow right through it? That is literally what actual body armour does.

Chaos Hippy posted:

Well poo poo, I hope Lowtax will give me back my :10bux: since I'm clearly not a goon. Unless I've been enjoying westerns ironically all this time.

I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of John Wayne "Looks Like We'll Have to Kill Us a Whole Passel of Redskins to get that Medecine to Little Susie, Pilgrim"-type Westerns, but I'll go so far out of my way to watch Spaghetti Westerns or Clint Eastwood that it's not even funny. I have cancelled a date to watch a Man with No Name marathon, for god's sake.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Armyman25 posted:

The plates an American Soldier wears in his body armor can stand up to an AK round. But those plates are heavy, and only cover a portion of your front and back.

I've got a couple of them. They are ceramic or whatever and shatter when hit.

I had some pictures of my buddy who got hit with a 7.62x39mm round, and his entire torso was bruised.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

The Zombie Guy posted:

I was reading a SW novel and had a thought about Storm Troopers... Why do they wear armour when one blaster bolt cooks them anyways? What is the armour supposed to protect against?

Why do cops wear armor when literally any rifle round will pass right through it like it's not there? Why do we still use tanks when there are myriad ways to disable/destroy them that are far less expensive than the tank itself?

Because armor gives you a greater chance to survive by stopping all sorts of things you'll encounter on a battlefield like shrapnel, long range shots, ricochets, animal bites, various poo poo you'll encounter in a brawl/melee, and countless other things that would be fatal/injurious if you were naked. There's also psychological benefits to having armor in that it makes you more confident and thus able to work more efficiently in situations where you might otherwise be [more] terrified of dying.

But that's just reality. In most stories armor isn't there to actually be effective or for any logical reason other than to hide the identity of the wearer and make them a faceless force for evil. Seeing the enemies faces and thus giving them minor characterization runs the risk of making them sympathetic, something which wouldn't work particularly well in a story like Star Wars where things are very black and white (not necessarily a bad thing). Stormtrooper armor is designed to be intimidating and show the capabilities and resources of the Empire. Having their elite troops decked out in head to toe armor while fighting the rebels who are using in most cases very little armor at all shows the disparity in power and resources between the two sides. Note also that the rebel forces never wear fully-enclosing helmets, keeping them from being faceless mooks. (see also why TIE pilots' helmets are fully enclosed)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like how people say the Empire didn't care much for its soldiers when both TIE flight suits and stormtrooper armor protected the user from the vacuum of space as well as unusually high and low heating conditions. Good luck getting Porkins to hold his breath.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Fox of Stone posted:

I like how people say the Empire didn't care much for its soldiers when both TIE flight suits and stormtrooper armor protected the user from the vacuum of space as well as unusually high and low heating conditions. Good luck getting Porkins to hold his breath.

Alliance pilot flight suits use a magnetic field* to hold some air and heat in if they go EVA, it's brought up regularly in the X-Wing books (because all of the rogues/wraiths would be dead as hell if they didn't have them).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Magcon

*magic

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Fox of Stone posted:

They don't even have pressurized cockpits.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

I admit I may be wrong but can't they not hold up to SUSTAINED fire which from an AK-47 is more likely than a single round?

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

RagnarokAngel posted:

I admit I may be wrong but can't they not hold up to SUSTAINED fire which from an AK-47 is more likely than a single round?

Once the plate gets hit it's pretty much done if it gets hit in the same spot again afaik. I toured Coors ceramics once and they had a plate they'd made with 3 rounds stopped in it, but in different locations. Also, angle of impact is really important, if the dude in that video got hit straight on instead of half turned away from the shooter his vest plates might have slowed the bullet but would probably not have stopped it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not sustained fire, but I'm trying to imagine a situation where you stand around letting yourself get shot more than once before you go for cover.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

Not sustained fire, but I'm trying to imagine a situation where you stand around letting yourself get shot more than once before you go for cover.

Stormtroopers tend to :haw:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Markoff Chaney posted:

Alliance pilot flight suits use a magnetic field* to hold some air and heat in if they go EVA, it's brought up regularly in the X-Wing books (because all of the rogues/wraiths would be dead as hell if they didn't have them).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Magcon
*magic

Huh. Guess I glossed over this part when I read the X-wing books. Stupid magical force fields.

Also I don't see anything wrong with unpressurized cockpits in space when the pilot's already self-sufficient anyway. I'd be more worried for ships like the Falcon with several passengers who have their space suits locked away in a corner.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Armyman25 posted:

Thats okay, most people with an ak-47 can't aim as well as a stormtrooper anyway.

fire place
Oct 27, 2005
how are you

omgLerkHat! posted:

Because armor gives you a greater chance to survive by stopping all sorts of things you'll encounter on a battlefield like shrapnel, long range shots, ricochets, animal bites, various poo poo you'll encounter in a brawl/melee, and countless other things that would be fatal/injurious if you were naked.

Storm trooper armor is so bad that it doesn't even keep arrows that don't penetrate the armor from killing them!

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

fire place posted:

Storm trooper armor is so bad that it doesn't even keep arrows that don't penetrate the armor from killing them!
Most of those arrows hit the black leotard, which obviously offers no protection.

Now, the question of why they wear a black leotard underneath their armour instead of making it cover their joints with armoured patches, that's the real conundrum.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Slantedfloors posted:

Now, the question of why they wear a black leotard underneath their armour instead of making it cover their joints with armoured patches, that's the real conundrum.

Just because they're disposable faceless mooks doesn't mean Palpatine doesn't like seeing style.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Mister Roboto posted:

Just because they're disposable faceless mooks doesn't mean Palpatine doesn't like seeing style.
I prefer to think of it as him cutting into the armour budget to make up for all the money he's thrown away on superweapons.

"Wait - You mean getting rid of just the armpit armour from a trillion guys will recoup what we pissed away on that "Mind-Melter" bomb? ...Do it"
*Guy runs in*
"My Emperor! Terrible news about the Mega-Star Destroyer!"
"Ah, jeez. Get the Armour guys back on the phone."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

"Wait - You mean getting rid of just the armpit armour from a trillion guys will recoup what we pissed away on that "Mind-Melter" bomb? ...Do it"
*Guy runs in*
"My Emperor! Terrible news about the Mega-Star Destroyer!"
"Ah, jeez."
"That's it, no more guard rails anywhere!"

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
Actually, in retrospect, the Emperor cutting the budget for everything else to afford retarded Superweapons would basically explain every design-inefficiency in the Empire's equipment.

Woah woah woah - Shielded starfighters? What are we, made of money?

Easy there, Tiger - Blaster Rifle sight alignment workshops? Just give the Stormtroopers that photocopied Huttese manual. They'll figure it out.

Weld a patch over the Thermal exhau...Listen, pal - Have you seen the rates those Union Space-Welders charge? It's extortion is what it is.

Clone Vader a new body? Are you loving kidding me? Just cram some goddamn K'Nex in there, I've got an Empire to run, man.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 15, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Casimir Radon posted:

"That's it, no more guard rails anywhere!"

Well, that would fit his supposed origins of being from Naboo, since their reactors were designed with religious aesthetics and had long guard rail-less paths too.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Mister Roboto posted:

Well, that would fit his supposed origins of being from Naboo, since their reactors were designed with religious aesthetics and had long guard rail-less paths too.

Over THOUSAND FOOT DROPS. Jesus, whoever built that was a prick.

Did you know that 11 Ugnaughts died for every six vertical metres of that thing? It's a disgusting chapter in Naboonian history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mister Roboto posted:

Oh my God, it rhymes!

Slantedfloors posted:

Actually, in retrospect, the Emperor cutting the budget for everything else to afford retarded Superweapons would basically explain every design-inefficiency in the Empire's equipment.

Woah woah woah - Shielded starfighters? What are we, made of money?

Easy there, Tiger - Blaster Rifle sight alignment workshops? Just give the Stormtroopers that photocopied Huttese manual. They'll figure it out.

Weld a patch over the Thermal exhau...Listen, pal - Have you seen the rates those Union Space-Welders charge? It's extortion is what it is.

Clone Vader a new body? Are you loving kidding me? Just cram some goddamn K'Nex in there, I've got an Empire to run, man.

This doesn't, though, because the PT taught me that Palpatine is a master manipulator who can cloud/brainwash/headexplode everyone in the galaxy at once, so he should be above haggling.

He might still do it because he's just. that. evil.