Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Mandalay posted:

What would you do with something like this?
http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/quake1/bp36.jpg

Do a sweet jump off one of those bumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

less than three posted:

Pretty awesome that it split right down the lines like that.

It probably has to do with the fact that the road was built in halfs to keep the road open during construction.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gohuskies posted:

Do a sweet jump off one of those bumps.

Resign it as half a one-way street, half motocross track.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Turn it into a community-sized step aerobics center. They're big on things like public health in Japan right?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

less than three posted:

Pretty awesome that it split right down the lines like that.

It sorta makes sense, because that's how it's paved.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Resign it as half a one-way street, half motocross track.

My first instinct was go-karting, so I'm totally on board with this suggestion.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 12, 2011

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Here is an awesome video about the Ringways project in the UK and why it didn't get built;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUEHWhO_HdY

There's also one about railways but that's less this thread and more, another thread.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Here is an awesome video about the Ringways project in the UK and why it didn't get built;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUEHWhO_HdY

There's also one about railways but that's less this thread and more, another thread.

This is fantastic. More of this please.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Cichlidae, this is probably going to wind up with a long answer. (at least it doesn't involve some insane, dry humping homo)

If the US would not have gone through with the Federal Highway Act in the 50's and kept and maintained it's passenger rail and inner city train/public transit. How different would our suburbs, highways, and cities look now?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

will_colorado posted:

If the US would not have gone through with the Federal Highway Act in the 50's and kept and maintained it's passenger rail and inner city train/public transit. How different would our suburbs, highways, and cities look now?

In Milwaukee urban sprawl and the exodus from the city center was starting to rear it's ugly head well before freeways were starting to become a reality. Cars were making a massive impact as a means of transportation starting in the 20s when the cheap Model T was available. Parking and traffic jams were huge problems up until WW2 slowed car production and gas supplies were hard to come by. Public transit had its highest riderships during the war. The city of Milwaukee still had enough transportation engineering clout to fund quite a few projects of its own to link newly annexed lands with efficient, modern roadways some of which were limited access.

The suburbs on the other hand, could never afford modern roadways without a sufficient tax base and couldn't grow a sufficient tax base without a modern transportation system. The state has always funded its own highway system that linked cities and towns. It would be likely that they would have increased those roadways into something similar to the modern interstate system if the need grew. Suburbs would still exist but would not be the urban siphon that they grew to be without interstate highways. I don't think interstate trucking and vehicular travel would be as big without interstate highways. National rail networks would be more heavily used than now at least until air travel took over.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

will_colorado posted:

Cichlidae, this is probably going to wind up with a long answer. (at least it doesn't involve some insane, dry humping homo)

Neutrino answered this probably better than I could, but I have a bit to add. Freeways predate the Federal Highway Act by a couple decades, especially in heavily urbanized areas like the Northeast Corridor. Suburbs were already prevalent up here, though they were mostly clustered around streetcar lines. I believe, in the 50s, those streetcar lines were already being replaced with bus lines courtesy of GM. Also keep in mind that a large portion of the Interstates here were actually built before the Highway Act and designated as Interstate later.

So it wasn't completely dependent on the Interstates, at least not in urbanized areas. I'd wager that more rural areas, like Arizona and southern California, would be much less dense than they turned out to be.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Geez, what a freak accident in Brooklyn. Bus turns over and then slides into a sign post that doesn't budge and takes off the top of the bus (and a bunch of passengers).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cichlidae posted:

Neutrino answered this probably better than I could, but I have a bit to add. Freeways predate the Federal Highway Act by a couple decades, especially in heavily urbanized areas like the Northeast Corridor. Suburbs were already prevalent up here, though they were mostly clustered around streetcar lines. I believe, in the 50s, those streetcar lines were already being replaced with bus lines courtesy of GM. Also keep in mind that a large portion of the Interstates here were actually built before the Highway Act and designated as Interstate later.

So it wasn't completely dependent on the Interstates, at least not in urbanized areas. I'd wager that more rural areas, like Arizona and southern California, would be much less dense than they turned out to be.

Transportation and Housing Policy :allears:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

smackfu posted:

Geez, what a freak accident in Brooklyn. Bus turns over and then slides into a sign post that doesn't budge and takes off the top of the bus (and a bunch of passengers).

Yeah, we talked about that at work this morning. It pretty much was a freak accident. The only design that would've prevented it was an extra-high Jersey barrier, which is both very expensive and much less kind to normal-size cars that impact.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae, I emailed you a picture and a question. If you have time to answer it please feel free to post the answer/pic here. It's not so much me wanting to ask privately, but being TOO STUPID TO POST PICTURES ON SA....

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

Cichlidae, I emailed you a picture and a question. If you have time to answer it please feel free to post the answer/pic here. It's not so much me wanting to ask privately, but being TOO STUPID TO POST PICTURES ON SA....

Done, but I can reply better in an email anyway. No worries :)

Captain Corny
Dec 16, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

You can only post pictures if you have a platinum account, that's probably the reason you couldn't

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
or you could just Waffl :eng99:

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

rt4 posted:

or you could just Waffl :eng99:

http://imgur.com/

Trendy MySpace User
Sep 12, 2007

skull bash
This happened a few hours ago:

The entire hillside and most of the road is completely gone into the river.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Trendy MySpace User posted:

That happened here once. Took about a year to get fixed.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Trendy MySpace User posted:

Aww, nice fresh pavement, too.

What happens is that soil weighs a good deal more when saturated. It can also support more weight, due to the hydrostatic pressure. Seems pretty obvious when I put it that way, but there's a whole field devoted to the study. Eventually, when the stress reaches a critical point, the structure fails along a curved plane and a whole chunk of terrain just slides down like it's been scooped by a melon baller. The asphalt, with nothing left to support it, cracks along the same plane (where moment is concentrated) and falls down along with it.

Dutch Engineer
Aug 7, 2010

Cichlidae posted:

Aww, nice fresh pavement, too.

What happens is that soil weighs a good deal more when saturated. It can also support more weight, due to the hydrostatic pressure. Seems pretty obvious when I put it that way, but there's a whole field devoted to the study. Eventually, when the stress reaches a critical point, the structure fails along a curved plane and a whole chunk of terrain just slides down like it's been scooped by a melon baller. The asphalt, with nothing left to support it, cracks along the same plane (where moment is concentrated) and falls down along with it.

A similar accident in 1918 is one of the reasons why the Dutch became known in the rest of the world as exceptional geological and hydrodynamical engineers. The embankmant was saturated with water, and when the train rode over it, the embankment gave way and the train crashed. An investigative committee was appointed, led by the brilliant engineer Cornelis Lely. To prevent further accidents, he recommended to found an academy for geophysical science. This led to the opening of the Academy and Laboratory for Geomechanical Studies at the Technical University in Delft in 1934. This laboratory and academy made some exceptional contributions to the field of geophysics and geo-hydrodynamics, and of course, the Dutch engineers were the first to use them in practice.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
This is pretty impressive progress even ignoring the fact that they're still getting aftershocks:

(Japanese source)

Dutch Engineer
Aug 7, 2010

quazi posted:

This is pretty impressive progress even ignoring the fact that they're still getting aftershocks:

(Japanese source)

I think the picture on the right was taken on a different part of the road, further back. Look at the trees to the right and the pylons in the background.

Not to say that it isn't impressive that reconstruction work has already begun.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Dutch Engineer posted:

I think the picture on the right was taken on a different part of the road, further back. Look at the trees to the right and the pylons in the background.

Not to say that it isn't impressive that reconstruction work has already begun.

Yep:

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
Yeah, I spent a while mashing my nose into the screen at that second photo. The first one is probably 35mm right up close, the second is a wide-angle at probably 12mm.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

quazi posted:

(Japanese source)

Infrastructure is the first thing that needs to be rebuilt. I'd say roads take second priority after electricity, since everything else can be moved by road or wirelessly.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
What the hell were the engineers thinking of when they made this pretending-to-be-a-roundabout-but-putting-eight-million-traffic-lights-and-causing-terrible-traffic-and-death-and-hatred thing? It backs up onto the highway because people can't merge into that traffic, and requires people to cut each other off on the right hand side if they don't want to get shoved back onto the highway.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

CaladSigilon posted:

What the hell were the engineers thinking of when they made this pretending-to-be-a-roundabout-but-putting-eight-million-traffic-lights-and-causing-terrible-traffic-and-death-and-hatred thing? It backs up onto the highway because people can't merge into that traffic, and requires people to cut each other off on the right hand side if they don't want to get shoved back onto the highway.

Engineers had some crazy dreams back when volumes were projected to be a third of what they are now. They figured the infrastructure would all be completely replaced when its lifespan was up, anyway, instead of patched and ignored for decades.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

CaladSigilon posted:

This is also a major bus transfer point IIRC. I once took the bus out to Waltham and I could already tell it was a clusterfuck when I xferred there.

jeoh-kun posted:

Yep:

Haha.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's even worse than that because the entire first photo is to the right of the hedgerow in the center of the road. What the photo is really showing is just that they ripped out the buckled lanes of the road and put in fill and gravel.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Pffft, that stuff happens here in Milwaukee all of the time.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

CaladSigilon posted:

Building the Masspike extension was a very controversial and problematic endeavor. You have to remember that they were basically building on top of already existing railway corridor right of way (some of which still exists!) and there were already limitations based on existing roadways and properties. There was also a hotel they had to build underneath, too. Even then, without the terror of the south side Washington street, the traffic would be even worse.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Cichlidae, I was wondering what your input would be on the current LBJ-635 project that is about to kick off construction in the Dallas area.

There's a stretch of 635 that's pretty tough to drive through no matter what time of day it is. Lots of car volumes with older exits and a frontage road that randomly stops. The proposal that they are going through looks like it will do the following:

Rebuild the main freeway.
Add managed toll/HOV lanes.
Reconstruct / build frontage roads.
Fix the HOV connections between I-635 and I-35 (TOTALLY AWESOME).

Some of it seems like a bit overkill though. Rebuild the whole freeway? Traffic is going to be hell through that area until it's done (and they are projecting a 2016 finish, ugh).

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=32.92578,-96.820428&spn=0.005421,0.01193&t=h&z=16

The interchange between I-635 and the Dallas North Tollway needs to be fixed. Speeds on both roads are usually around 65, and taking that tight right hander for the cloverleaf means people will crawl through it and not have enough time to accelerate. Not to mention people will be trying to merge into your lane at 65 because they want to take the following cloverleaf, ugh.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=32.908667,-96.897225&spn=0.010845,0.023861&z=15
Junction between I-635 and I-35E. The main problem I have with this interchange is that if you're on the HOV westbound on I-635, you have to bail out of the HOV lane before this area so that you can get over far enough to stay on I-635, as the lanes to head to I-35E southbound break off the left side.

Link to the overview PDF that's been provided to the public: http://newlbj.com/documents/I635ManagedLanes-ProjectOverview.pdf
And the TxDOT page with the project info: http://www.txdot.gov/project_information/projects/dallas/i635.htm

Should I be rooting for this? TxDOT has been doing a few projects with mixed results (putting in a Michigan left and a SPUI), and improving the flow in the I635 would be good. Just seems like they want to pretty much junk the whole corridor and start again.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

kimcicle posted:

Should I be rooting for this? TxDOT has been doing a few projects with mixed results (putting in a Michigan left and a SPUI), and improving the flow in the I635 would be good. Just seems like they want to pretty much junk the whole corridor and start again.

Given the volumes they're designing for, that's the best option. The fact that they're building a decked freeway with six (!) managed lanes tells you that they're working with some pretty extreme constraints. Frankly, $3.2 billion is pretty cheap for a project like this.

I wish I could see the designs for the new interchanges, but I'm sure they'll be built to modern standards. Since it's Texas, that probably means stacks, and I'm definitely on board with that.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
How would you help improve the efficiency of this intersection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n_mgFA47WQ

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grover posted:

How would you help improve the efficiency of this intersection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n_mgFA47WQ

The efficiency is already beautiful. Safety, though, well...

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

Cichlidae posted:

The efficiency is already beautiful. Safety, though, well...

My sister is working on the UN Making Roads Safe Initiative. I love to make fun of her about being a seatbelt nazi, but that video is crazy. Made me go to the website-

Decade of Action posted:

Road crashes are the leading global cause of death for young people aged 10-24, and by 2015 are predicted to be the leading cause of premature death and disability for children in developing countries aged five and above. Already, according to Unicef and the WHO, 260,000 children die and another 10 million are injured in road crashes every year.

:smith:

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
edit: n/m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008
I'm kind of curious if requesting a traffic survey would be proper in this scenario.

For background, last fall, Austin Community College opened a new campus here in Round Rock, and the campus was almost instantly filled to capacity (somewhere around 5K students). It is, at the moment, the only building on it's stretch of county road 112, and will be for some time from what I hear. The speed limit has been 30, but everyone has been going 40 because CR-112 is really wide, and there's hardly ever anyone on it. Late last month, Round Rock PD started setting up daily speed traps. There now is hardly ever a time in the morning or early afternoon that I don't see someone pulled over getting a ticket (yes tickets, not warnings) for speeding. Would you say that 30MPH is the right speed limit for this stretch of road?. The street view shows the width, but not the quality. It's almost perfectly flat with shoulders the size of the lanes and I just don't get it.