Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah I really undersold them sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

It's not just magnets and prayers, they're willing to type up a story about applauding soldiers too, and maybe even wear a colour for a couple fridays.

Requiring any more effort than this, however, and the LIBRUL GUBMENT is obviously overstepping its boundaries. The war would be over in a week if Congress announced that there would be WW2-style rationing and actual sacrifice required of the population.

And a draft?!? All the kill-em-all chickenhawks would call their Senator pleading for the war to end if they faced the prospect of actually going to war and backing up their smack talk.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

red19fire posted:

And a draft?!? All the kill-em-all chickenhawks would call their Senator pleading for the war to end if they faced the prospect of actually going to war and backing up their smack talk.

Yeah but don't worry, the government has fixed manpower problems with misguided appeals to patriotism in the case of the regular forces, and copious amounts of money for the PMCs. I loathe the whole concept of a draft, but it might actually be preferable at this point.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
So I just found out my friend died of cancer recently, though they passed four months ago. I posted on my facebook, and my friend who... homeschools his children, and doesn't vaccinate them, and has 3 so far... responds...

http://i.imgur.com/N1kxu.png

FFS. Can't I just post my quirky RIP status post without being told IT'S THE GUVMENTS FAULT?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

dphrag posted:

So I just found out my friend died of cancer recently, though they passed four months ago. I posted on my facebook, and my friend who... homeschools his children, and doesn't vaccinate them, and has 3 so far... responds...

FFS. Can't I just post my quirky RIP status post without being told IT'S THE GUVMENTS FAULT?

You know what else drug companies and governments will never allow a cure for? Stupidity.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

red19fire posted:

Requiring any more effort than this, however, and the LIBRUL GUBMENT is obviously overstepping its boundaries. The war would be over in a week if Congress announced that there would be WW2-style rationing and actual sacrifice required of the population.

What's really bizarre is how pervasive these memes are. I know plenty of Iraq war veterans, people who've spent years in Iraq, who still think that Saddam must have just buried the WMD's in the desert and that's why we didn't find them.

I've also heard people complain with a straight face about us still being in Kosovo due to Clinton "playing world police" while not saying a thing about how much OIF/OEF have cost us. It's like they literally can't see their own experiences.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

dphrag posted:

He basically explains that no cure has been developed yet because the free market makes too much money off of cancer patients, but that makes the government corrupted.

(For the record, the public sector is the largest contributor to cancer research by almost 80%, if I recall correctly)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Armyman25 posted:

What's really bizarre is how pervasive these memes are. I know plenty of Iraq war veterans, people who've spent years in Iraq, who still think that Saddam must have just buried the WMD's in the desert and that's why we didn't find them.

I've also heard people complain with a straight face about us still being in Kosovo due to Clinton "playing world police" while not saying a thing about how much OIF/OEF have cost us. It's like they literally can't see their own experiences.

I don't think it's necessarily that. I would bet money that many Iraq vets who still believe Saddam had WMD's and buried/transported them do so because they need to latch on to some justification for their presence. And I don't mean this in any scornful way or anything like that at all, as my guess is that many who fall into this category may do it subconsciously.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I'd imagine they were also being frequently informed and prepared for finding large quantities of WMD when they got in country and that there was a very widespread and concerted effort to uncover them too. In those sorts of conditions it's not hard to believe that there probably were some simply because it's being treated as fact by everyone around you with access to more information than you.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

dphrag posted:

That is just extremely uncouth. And he's a terrible person for not vaccinating those kids.

Also "cancer" isn't one illness, it's 47 thousand or however many.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Dad just sent me a link to this article:

3 Essential Facts About the Current Moment: We're Out of Money, The Public Sector is Overpaid, & We Can't Tax Our Way Out of This.

Thoughts, goons? Dad's pretty good at arguing (i.e. shouting over me) but maybe you can come up with some good ammunition for me.

Edit: Also, he sent me a link to this blog post: Would You Let Your Daughter Fund This Man's Pension?

Well, why shouldn't I fund that man's pension, Dad? What's wrong with him? :crossarms:
Is it that he's fat? Because you are the last man who should be making fun of fat people.:colbert:

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 15, 2011

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Pththya-lyi posted:

Dad just sent me a link to this article:
[snip]
maybe you can come up with some good ammunition for me.

I don't understand your question... you know your Dad's wrong, but you don't actually know why?

ljw1004 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 15, 2011

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Well, we can never seem to agree on premises such as whether or not people deserve a living wage. He genuinely believes that the free market is the best way to do things, that American liberals are fascists, etc. He's actually an intelligent person, he's just so good at rationalizing. I just want something that would give him cognitive dissonance or something.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
From that article:

quote:

Nationally, they make on average $14,000 a year more than private-school K-12 teachers, a gap that gets even bigger when benefits are added to the total.

You could also read that as "public school teachers are underpaid, but they aren't paid as badly as private school teachers."

Ask him where the mansions are that public school teachers live in, and where they park their mercedes.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Pththya-lyi posted:

He genuinely believes that the free market is the best way to do things

Counterpoint: The banking industry in the past 4 years, unless he believes that was the fault of the government. Also: Monsanto, Standard Oil.

And ask him to define fascism.

Wikipedia posted:

Exaltation of violence, war, and militarism are central components of fascism, which fascists see as providing positive transformation in society, in providing spiritual renovation, education, instilling of a will to dominate in people's character, and creating national comradeship through the military service.

Fascists oppose liberalism (as a bourgeois movement) and Marxism (as a proletarian movement) for being exclusive economic class-based movements.

They believe that economic classes are not capable of properly governing a nation, and that a merit-based elite of experienced military persons must rule through regimenting a nation's forces of production and securing the nation's independence.

Italian fascists described expansionist imperialism as a necessity.

Fascist movements have commonly held social Darwinist views of nations, races, and societies. They argue that nations and races must purge themselves of socially and biologically weak or degenerate people, while simultaneously promoting the creation of strong people, in order to survive in a world defined by perpetual national and racial conflict.

Fascist states pursued policies of social indoctrination through propaganda in education and the media and regulation of the production of educational and media materials. Education was designed to glorify the fascist movement and inform students of its historical and political importance to the nation. It attempted to purge ideas that were not consistent with the beliefs of the fascist movement and to teach students to be obedient to the state. Therefore, fascism tends to be anti-intellectual.

The Fascist government in Italy banned literature on birth control and increased penalties for abortion in 1926, declaring both crimes against the state.

Fascism promoted principles of masculine heroism, militarism, and discipline and rejected cultural pluralism and multiculturalism.

Sounds more like modern conservatives to me.

the fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 15, 2011

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ljw1004 posted:

I don't understand your question... you know you're Dad's wrong, but you don't actually know why?

The human brain treats information that contradicts self-identity as a physical threat, triggering the flight or fight response to the information. Actually addressing why his dad is wrong would have to be done in such a way not to trigger that flight or fight response, maybe by appealing to some other aspect of self-identity (teachers being Good People, or Christian charity, or maybe the concept of The American People if he is a nationalist).
Besides, if his dad's imagination has atophied from exposure to too many thought terminating clichés, it would be more effective to reduce fact based arguments into a simple, abstract sound bite in turn.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

the posted:

Counterpoint: The banking industry in the past 4 years, unless he believes that was the fault of the government.

Bingo. It's all the government's fault for forcing the banks to back those high-risk home loans. (I guess they also compelled Wall Street to invest in said loans, too.)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

It's all the government's fault

Ask him to point out a time and place where capitalism has not been intimately linked with the state, ie property rights; if he thinks capitalist relations of production are "natural", that capitalism is emergent, point out the communal nature of pre-state life (the Pirahã are an awesome example because they are contemporary).

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

Bingo. It's all the government's fault for forcing the banks to back those high-risk home loans. (I guess they also compelled Wall Street to invest in said loans, too.)

It's all Clinton and Carter's fault for making banks give home mortgage loans to all them coloreds who were buying houses they couldn't afford.

-This is literally and argument I've heard.

Ask your dad if people didn't try to become rich in the 1950's, when tax rates were much higher than they are now.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

the posted:

From that article:

You could also read that as "public school teachers are underpaid, but they aren't paid as badly as private school teachers."

Ask him where the mansions are that public school teachers live in, and where they park their mercedes.

Private school teachers aren't licensed either. . . .

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Edit: ^ That may depend on the state; I'm pretty sure in CA at least every teacher needs to be licensed. I looked it up, and they don't. I was thrown off by the fact that home schooling in CA does require at least some of the teaching be done by a credentialed teacher (!).

the posted:

This is definitely true. But there is a huge difference between teaching at public and private schools and it's the reason private schools can get away with paying less: it's a fuckload less work.

Simply cutting the class size from ~32 kids (public school) to ~16 kids (private school) cuts a large portion of the workload (grading, preparing supplies, and individual attention) in half. Most private schools can afford additional teacher's aides to lighten this workload further.

Throw in the fact that they can kick out and/or exclude the trouble students, kids with special needs, and (in many cases) low-performing students. Add to that that private school *parents* are inherently biased towards being more able and/or willing to invest and assist in their childrens' educations, and you end up with a student population that is MUCH easier to teach.

I know a few teachers, and the "should I teach public or private" question was actually difficult for each of them despite the pay disparity. Only one of them ended up teaching public school, and it was a very difficult transition for him;. His initial training was done at a private school, so he went from teaching classes of 15 above-average upperclass kids with access to nearly unlimited supplies and high-end facilities to teaching 33 kids at a time, almost all of whom came to him below grade level in every subject and got little if no support at home, half of whom didn't speak English well (if at all), at a run-down school where he has to buy most of his classroom supplies out of his own pocket.

Trying to equate the two situations is ludicrous beyond belief.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 15, 2011

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah this is why I teach in private school. (Besides not wanting to get an education degree.) I would much rather actually teach than be payed 30% more to deal with all the societal ills that are forced on our public school system because nobody else will deal with them. If society was really honest about the vast responsibilities placed on the school system they would also give it vastly more resources.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 15, 2011

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

The most recent crazy conservative email I was sent by my grandfather was one about Thomas Jefferson. It was all just facts and quotes that illustrated how Jefferson hated establishment and had an "up by his bootstraps" lifestyle, it was pretty tame when compared to some that I've received from him. It might have been interesting accept that it was obviously slanted to the conservative side. The part that pissed me off the most though was this:

quote:

Thomas Jefferson knew because he-himself studied the previous failed attempts at government.
He understood actual history, the nature of God, his laws and the nature of man. That happens
to be way- way more than what most understand today.

Nature of God? In an email about probably the most secular president the United States has seen, they include things about how Jefferson understood the nature of God and this was somehow a key to his success? I wanted so badly to reply to him with facts about Jefferson's rewritten Bible, but I didn't want to incite a religious debate as well as political.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How much more difficult is it to get a teaching job in a private school over a public school though?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's much more of a crapshoot. There's no bureaucracy like the public school system, so it can be quite chaotic. It often depends a lot on being in the right place at the right time or knowing the right people. Private schools are usually looking for people with degrees in the fields they want to teach, rather than education. Therefore experience is a lot more important for private schools, because there's no guarantee a fresh graduate will have any idea how to teach. Job experience is very very important for a private school resume.

Private school teachers start with less training in teaching per se, but more knowledge in their chosen subject compared to an education major. This meshes well with a self-selecting student population. Since private school teachers often don't have formal training in classroom management, they wouldn't necessarily do very well in a public school setting, but because they tend to have deeper knowledge of their subjects motivated students can get a lot out of them. Frankly it's a system that caters to the elite and rewards the best students more than anyone else, but that's what it's supposed to be.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 15, 2011

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I'd like to contribute the point that comparing private school to public school teachers is kind of pointless when you're not comparing 1) the relative non-financial benefits/costs (that people have mentioned) and 2) the relative qualifications of each. Public school teachers have pretty heavy required qualifications and comparing someone with a 4 year degree, a Masters and whatever other bits and pieces they have to someone with a degree in the subject they're teaching at a private school and showing how the former is paid more is kind of a duh thing.

For the arguing about teachers' salaries, whenever the issue of "But they're pensions are funded by are taxes!" comes up it's worth pointing out that it no more comes out their taxes than the rest of the salary. The money they take in isn't amazing based on 1)The qualifications required and 2)The amount of work they have to do. Cutting pension payments is the same thing as cutting their salary but when people discuss it it's like pensions are some magical bonus that teachers are given totally unconnected to the work they do.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Drewsky posted:

The most recent crazy conservative email I was sent by my grandfather was one about Thomas Jefferson. It was all just facts and quotes that illustrated how Jefferson hated establishment and had an "up by his bootstraps" lifestyle, it was pretty tame when compared to some that I've received from him. It might have been interesting accept that it was obviously slanted to the conservative side. The part that pissed me off the most though was this:

Nature of God? In an email about probably the most secular president the United States has seen, they include things about how Jefferson understood the nature of God and this was somehow a key to his success? I wanted so badly to reply to him with facts about Jefferson's rewritten Bible, but I didn't want to incite a religious debate as well as political.

Thomas Jefferson: (having slaves) pulling himself up by his own bootstraps.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
The biggest thing that gets me with the whole public teacher salary thing is the fact that they almost always misrepresent the number somehow. Reciently, I heard something about the 'average' teacher costing around 100k (OMG!!) in some district. Yeah, if you look at any employee anywhere and add up all of the behind the scenes costs to the employer above and beyond compensation you will end up with a similiarly skewed number. Not to mention that an average is a pretty bad metric when looking at the wages of a large group of people anyway.

I love the whole 'teachers get out of work at 3' thing too. Even IF trachers' days were done when the kids go home, it's clear that people are imagining what it would be like if they too got out at 3 and still started their workday at the same time as their own job. I seem to remember the school day starting around 7 and geting out at 3:30 at my high school. That's 8.5 hours if you sinpe the bell everyday...

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Panzeh posted:

Thomas Jefferson: (having slaves) pulling himself up by his own bootstraps.

Jefferson was in favor of America being a land of small, largely independent farmsteads rather than cities and industry, which is probably what the email was misinterpreting. I hate how every time someone mentions Jefferson someone else HAS to call him out on slavery, though, as if everyone didn't already know, and having slaves somehow completely negates anything else he ever said or did. The better objection might be "Thomas Jefferson: inheriting a place in the colonial aristocracy and ending his life in enormous debt."

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

It's all Clinton and Carter's fault for making banks give home mortgage loans to all them coloreds who were buying houses they couldn't afford.

-This is literally and argument I've heard.

Can anyone provide some more information on this topic and how it's wrong? I was under the impression that Clinton did in fact make it easier to get home mortgage loans for lower income families.

I'm not exactly sure how he "forced" banks to give out these loans, but I've certainly heard it from some conservative people I know.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Corbet posted:

Can anyone provide some more information on this topic and how it's wrong? I was under the impression that Clinton did in fact make it easier to get home mortgage loans for lower income families.

I'm not exactly sure how he "forced" banks to give out these loans, but I've certainly heard it from some conservative people I know.

It's probably conflating two different things. A law was passed in the late 70's that said that banks couldn't discriminate on loan applications based on a person's address. They would routinely deny loans to anyone from certain neighborhoods regardless of the applicant's ability to pay. Those neighborhoods being predominately black.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

berzerker posted:

Jefferson was in favor of America being a land of small, largely independent farmsteads rather than cities and industry, which is probably what the email was misinterpreting. I hate how every time someone mentions Jefferson someone else HAS to call him out on slavery, though, as if everyone didn't already know, and having slaves somehow completely negates anything else he ever said or did. The better objection might be "Thomas Jefferson: inheriting a place in the colonial aristocracy and ending his life in enormous debt."

I don't think people are really using slavery in that way. It more that they are trying to subvert the idea that founding fathers were perfect god-men whose literal words and actions should be the basis of everything we do in government. Obviously that is pointles here but it is very frustrating to consantly hear people talking about the founders literal intent as some higher authority that we ought to defer to.

SmuglyDismissed fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 15, 2011

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh
My dad sent me this yesterday. I didn't reply because I honestly don't even know where to start.

Scott Walker's website posted:

Strange But True Provisions of Collective Bargaining

Madison—Today Governor Walker’s office released additional examples of how collective bargaining impacts government and how reforming collective bargaining can improve government. The following are some of the items contained in collective bargaining provisions:

Employer must provide bulletin boards to post information about union social and recreational activities. The size and location of the board is subject to collective bargaining.
When a local union meets the following conditions are subject to bargaining:

1. lighting,
2. vision care and examinations,
3. noise,
4. chairs,
5. desks,
6. footrests,
7. adjustable terminals and keyboards,
8. work environment design (wall cover, carpet, windows),
9. room temperature,

Starting of vehicles during cold weather is subject to collective bargaining.
Paid time off to donate blood.

Earlier today, Governor Walker’s office released some specific examples and new details to show how collective bargaining fiscally impacts government and how reforming collective bargaining can improve government.

A Year’s Worth of Pay for 30 Days of Work

Under the Green Bay School District’s collectively bargained Emeritus Program, teaches can retire and receive a year’s worth of salary for working only 30 days over a three year period. This is paid in addition to their already guaranteed pension and health care payouts.

At the average annual salary for a Green Bay teacher of $51,355, this amounts to a daily rate of pay of $1,711.83, or an hourly rate of $213.98. Since most retiring teachers receive higher than average salary, these amounts are, in practice, much higher.
Source: WLUK-TV, 3/3/11

Teachers Receiving Two Pensions

Due to a 1982 provision of their collective bargaining agreement, Milwaukee Public School teachers actually receive two pensions upon retirement instead of one. The contribution to the second pension is equal to 4.2% of a teacher’s salary, with the school district making 100% of the contribution, just like they do for the first pension. This extra benefit costs taxpayers more than $16 million per year.

Source: February 17, 2010 Press Release, Process of developing FY11 budget begins Milwaukee Public Schools

Almost $10,000 Per Year for Doing Nothing

While the Green Bay Emeritus Program actually requires teachers to at least show up for work, the Madison Emeritus Program doesn’t even require that. In addition to their pension payouts, retired Madison public school teachers receive annual payments of at least $9,884.18 per year for enrolling in the Emeritus Program, which requires ZERO days of work.

When this program began, 20 days of work per year were required. Through collective bargaining, the union successfully negotiated this down to zero days.

Source: Madison Teachers Inc. Website

Yesterday the Governor’s office released these examples of the fiscal impact of collective bargaining

No Volunteer Crossing Guards Allowed

A Wausau public employee union filed a grievance to prohibit a local volunteer from serving as a school crossing guard. The 86-year-old lives just two blocks away and serves everyday free of charge.

Principal Steve Miller says, "He said, you know, this gives me a reason to get up in the morning to come and help these kids in the neighborhood."

But for a local union that represents crossing guards, it isn't that simple. Representatives didn't want to go on camera but say if a crossing guard is needed, then one should be officially hired by the city.

Source: WAOW-TV, 1/27/10

$6,000 Extra for Carrying a Pager

Some state employees, due to the nature of their positions, are required to carry pagers during off-duty hours in order to respond to emergency situations. Due to the collective bargaining agreements, these employees are compensated an extra five hours of pay each week, whether they are paged or not.

For an employee earning an average salary of $50,000 per year, this requirement can cost more than $6,000 in additional compensation.

Source: 2008-09 Agreement between the State of Wisconsin and AFSCME Council 24

Arbitrator Reinstates Porn-Watching Teacher

A Cedarburg school teacher was reinstated by an arbitrator after being fired for viewing pornography on a school computer. The school district ultimately succeeded in terminating the teacher only after taking the case to the Wisconsin Supreme Court at great cost to the taxpayers.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 8/23/08

‘Outstanding First Year Teacher’ Laid Off

Milwaukee Public Schools teacher Megan Sampson was laid off less than one week after being named Outstanding First Year Teacher by the Wisconsin Council of English Teachers. She lost her job because the collective bargaining agreement requires layoffs to be made based on seniority rather than merit.

Informed that her union had rejected a lower-cost health care plan, that still would have required zero contribution from teachers, Sampson said, “Given the opportunity, of course I would switch to a different plan to save my job, or the jobs of 10 other teachers.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 6/14/10

Union Opposes Cost-Saving Lawn Mowing Program

As a cost cutting measure, Racine County began using county inmates to cut the grass in medians and right-of-ways at no cost to the taxpayers. A county employee union filed a grievance indicating it was the right of government workers to cut the grass, even though it would cost the taxpayers dramatically more.

Source: Racine Journal Times, 5/12/10

The $150,000 Bus Driver

In 2009, the City of Madison’s highest paid employee was a bus driver who earned $159,258, including $109,892 in overtime, guaranteed by a collective bargaining agreement. In total, seven City of Madison bus drivers made more than $100,000 per year in 2009.

"That's the (drivers') contract," said Transit and Parking Commission Chairman Gary Poulson.

Source: Wisconsin State Journal, 2/7/10

$150,000 Correctional Officers

Correctional Officer collective bargaining agreements allow officers a practice known as “sick leave stacking.” Officers can call in sick for a shift, receiving 8 hours of sick pay, and then are allowed to work the very next shift, earning time-and-a-half for overtime. This results in the officer receiving 2.5 times his or her rate of pay, while still only working 8 hours.

In part because of these practices, 13 correctional officers made more than $100,000 in 2009, despite earning base wages of less than $60,000 per year. The officers received an average of $66,000 in overtime pay for an average annual salary of more than $123,000 with the highest paid receiving $151,181.

Source: Department of Corrections

Previously the Governor’s office released these examples of the fiscal impact of collective bargaining:

Paid-Time off for Union Activities
In Milwaukee County alone, because the union collectively bargained for paid time off, fourteen employees receive salary and benefits for doing union business. Of the fourteen, three are on full-time release for union business. Milwaukee County spent over $170,000 in salary alone for these employees to only participate in union activities such as collective bargaining.

Surrender of Management Rights

Because of collecting bargaining, unions have included provisions in employee contracts that have a direct fiscal impact such as not allowing management to schedule workers based on operational needs and requiring notice and approval by the union prior to scheduling changes. As County Executive Walker attempted to reduce work hours based on budget pressures and workload requirements by instituting a 35 hour work week to avoid layoffs, which the union opposed. Additionally, government cannot explore privatization of functions that could save taxpayers money.

WEA Trust

Currently many school districts participate in WEA trust because WEAC collectively bargains to get as many school districts across the state to participate in this union run health insurance plan as possible. Union leadership benefits from members participating in this plan. If school districts enrolled in the state employee health plan, it would save school districts up to $68 million per year. Beyond that if school districts had the flexibility to look for health insurance coverage outside of WEA trust or the state plan, additional savings would likely be realized.

Viagra for Teachers

The Milwaukee Teachers Education Association (MTEA) tried to use a policy established by collective bargaining to obtain health insurance coverage that specifically paid for Viagra. Cost to taxpayers is $786,000 a year.

Reference: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/milwaukee-schools-ban-viagra-teachers-union-sues-discrimination/story?id=11378595

Unrealistic Overtime Provisions

On a state level, the Department of Corrections allows correctional workers who call in sick to collect overtime if they work a shift on the exact same day. The specific provision that allows this to happen was collectively bargained for in their contract. Cost to taxpayers $4.8 million.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

You could start with the fact that the reason so much of this poo poo is part of union collective bargaining is because so many of the normal and important aspects of bargaining (i.e. salary) are pretty much decided by local government budgets and so there's not a lot they can do regarding that. The result is that they put a lot of focus on stuff that schools can control like the working environment, etc.

poo poo like the crossing guard stuff is an example of union rules that seem restrictive and lovely (this nice old man just wants to help!) but are there because if the union really did take a relaxed attitude towards it schools would soon be encouraging as many volunteers as possible and would probably just not hire crossing guards at all if they could help it to save money. Which is a lovely deal for members of the union, or does your dad think that employees just need to shut up and suffer for the benefit of others?

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Thenipwax posted:

My dad sent me this yesterday. I didn't reply because I honestly don't even know where to start.

People working overtime and getting paid overtime pay. My word. :monocle:

I love this one too.

quote:

A Year’s Worth of Pay for 30 Days of Work

Under the Green Bay School District’s collectively bargained Emeritus Program, teaches can retire and receive a year’s worth of salary for working only 30 days over a three year period. This is paid in addition to their already guaranteed pension and health care payouts.

At the average annual salary for a Green Bay teacher of $51,355, this amounts to a daily rate of pay of $1,711.83, or an hourly rate of $213.98. Since most retiring teachers receive higher than average salary, these amounts are, in practice, much higher.
Source: WLUK-TV, 3/3/11

Let me try!
I found a $1 bill on the ground. It took me one second to bend down and pick it up. This works out to an hourly rate of $3,600. Anually that amounts to 7.2 MILLION dollars. gently caress yeah!

I don't know the details of that program but it sounds like an early retirement buyout. Private companies also have programs like that to encourage older, more expensive employees to leave.

Every single one of those entires twists reality ever so slightly so that even if true, they are nowhere near as outrageous as they seem. Why is that always the pattern with these? :(

SmuglyDismissed fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 15, 2011

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

SmuglyDismissed posted:

I found a $1 bill on the ground. It took me one second to bend down and pick it up. This works out to an hourly rate of $3,600. Anually that amounts to 7.2 MILLION dollars. gently caress yeah!

If you're doing this you might as well say that
code:
 3 600 $/h x 24 h/d x 365 d/a = 31 536 000 $/a
WOWZERS! $31.5M per year?! You're a real fat-cat Mr. Smugly McMonocle!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Everyone remember that Simpson episode where Bart and his class read through Principal Skinner's financial records and discover he makes like 15k a year? They multiply it by his 60 years of life and WHOAH he's a millionaire!

This is what conservatives actually think.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SmuglyDismissed posted:

Yeah, if you look at any employee anywhere and add up all of the behind the scenes costs to the employer above and beyond compensation you will end up with a similiarly skewed number. Not to mention that an average is a pretty bad metric when looking at the wages of a large group of people anyway.

Ha, my work actually does this when we get raise.

"Yeah, you only got a 3% raise this year, but look at this worksheet. It cost us 15% more to employ you this year because you took advantage of our tuition reimbursement!"

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

"We can't tax our way out of this, so therefore the rich shouldn't have to pay a dime more!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrewkroDleman
May 17, 2008

SHAME.

XyloJW posted:

About halfway down that list, someone said "Did japan help when katrina happened? Hell no, gently caress them"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_response_to_Hurricane_Katrina

Needless to say, Japan sent plenty of help for Katrina. However, so did an impressive fuckload of countries. It really should put a total lid on any nationalist "America first!" horseshit.

Edit: Wikipedia :rolleyes:

I know this was on the last page and a little off topic but I got really pissed when I got to Cuba's aid.

Wikipedia posted:

One of the first countries to offer aid, Cuba offered to send 1,586 doctors and 26 tons of medicine. This aid was rejected by the State Department.[17] Also, before the 2006 World Baseball Classic, Cuba said they would donate their share of the winnings to Katrina victims to ensure the United States embargo against Cuba was not violated. However, after the tournament, the U.S. government refused to allow the donation.
We are too stubborn to even accept AID for a natural disaster. :wtc: