Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Eurotrash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SAZattack
Dec 26, 2010
Their level of English depends on what class they are in and how old they are, with the older ones obviously tending to be better than the younger ones, since they have been taught English for longer. I'm relatively new at the school, though, so as I haven't taught most of the kids, I can't be more specific.

Most of the suggestions seem good so far, and I'll definitely pass the appropriate ones on to the teacher.

Any ideas for something that's perhaps less educational? Something kids would want to watch for fun?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My Parents Are Aliens

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Skins.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Misfits. Tell them that Kelly's accent is the Queen's English and they should look to emulate it for formal occasions.

(aside from Life, I've got no useful suggestions, sorry!)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Shameless season 1. Both linguistically and culturally informative.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Rastamouse

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

SAZattack posted:

Their level of English depends on what class they are in and how old they are, with the older ones obviously tending to be better than the younger ones, since they have been taught English for longer. I'm relatively new at the school, though, so as I haven't taught most of the kids, I can't be more specific.

Most of the suggestions seem good so far, and I'll definitely pass the appropriate ones on to the teacher.

Any ideas for something that's perhaps less educational? Something kids would want to watch for fun?

I had something like this for French kids, and I generally found that what they watched were American shows with French subtitles, as you have a bit more to choose from. Sorry it's not British TV, but stuff like The Simpsons and Glee went down well. We don't really have anything like that in England, at least in quality and appeal.

What we do do well is films. They love our films, particularly the girls. Bridget Jones (maybe for the older), I seem to remember Johnny English went down better than it had any right to.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Anyone else annoyed at BBCs news website headlines of late?

poo poo like this is starting to annoy me:

MELTDOWN ALERT AT JAPANESE NUCLEAR PLANT!:
Article: The IAEA says there are no signs of a meltdown and cooling is going as planned.

TAKEAWAY JOBS BAN FOR IMMIGRANTS:
Article: People from outside the EU can't get work permits to come to the UK to work in takeaways.

Its like they're going for Daily Mail/Sun style grab headlines. They also keep posting headlines with only the persons surname on it, there was one a few weeks ago that was particularly stupid, it was something like 'BECKHAM CHARGED WITH BENEFITS FRAUD: Brian Beckham, 42 of Peckham is up on charges of...'. (Obviously not that exact headline/name but you get the idea). Yes they're technically correct but it seems they're wording them just to grab readers rather than the content of the actual article.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Lord Dekks posted:

Beckham [...] of Peckham
Heh.

I know exactly what you mean though. "2012 countdown ready to go" was one that caught my attention. The article was not about the Apocalypse but instead about Olympic tickets going on sale.

The meltdown stuff in particular is... well, not exactly annoying me but certainly raising a couple of my eyebrows. It'll be mentioned in the article that a meltdown "like Chernobyl" is highly unlikely whilst vaguely implying elsewhere that Hey! This is kind of like Chernobyl you guys! The Tokyo situation comes on the International Nuclear Events Scale at around a four but some guy said it might be a five or six oh btw Chernobyl was a seven THAT'S KIND OF CLOSE OH NO Get your jet black hair dye and razorblades at the ready because HERE COMES THE FALLOUT, BOY.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Lord Dekks posted:

'BECKHAM CHARGED WITH BENEFITS FRAUD: Brian Beckham, 42 of Peckham is up on charges of...'.

I've seen this kind of headline before as well.

SAZattack
Dec 26, 2010

Fat Turkey posted:

I had something like this for French kids, and I generally found that what they watched were American shows with French subtitles, as you have a bit more to choose from. Sorry it's not British TV, but stuff like The Simpsons and Glee went down well. We don't really have anything like that in England, at least in quality and appeal.

What we do do well is films. They love our films, particularly the girls. Bridget Jones (maybe for the older), I seem to remember Johnny English went down better than it had any right to.

Thanks for that. From what I can gather it's pretty much the same for the Spaniards too. The kids already watch a few American TV shows at school, as well as at home, and I guess the teacher was just looking for something British so that the kids could experience a little more British English.

And although films are a good idea, the problem is that they don't fit into one 50 minute lesson, whereas most TV programmes would do.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Some Strange Flea posted:

THAT'S KIND OF CLOSE OH NO Get your jet black hair dye and razorblades at the ready because HERE COMES THE FALLOUT, BOY.

Btw, this is now one of the top 10 sentences I've ever seen on this forum. :)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
The C4 news just went on about ticket touts for the olympics and had some guy decrying that anyone caught reselling the tickets would face a £20,000 fine. I've always wondered though, if someone buys a ticket, isn't it within their rights to sell that on if need/want be? What business is it of the original seller that a reseller makes a profit on an item?

I mean the original seller has already recieved exactly what they asked for it so it just comes across as pure selfish greed to me.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Twenty Twelve starts tonight (think The Thick of It but for the olympics)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yw1t9

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

This week on One Born Every Minute: Methadone, hair straighteners and morbid obesity. :(

This is why I left the NHS; it was too hard watching people like Dave (33, stupid, junkie) knock up people like Oakley (18 and vulnerable). It was too hard not to pass judgement.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

Kin posted:

The C4 news just went on about ticket touts for the olympics and had some guy decrying that anyone caught reselling the tickets would face a £20,000 fine. I've always wondered though, if someone buys a ticket, isn't it within their rights to sell that on if need/want be? What business is it of the original seller that a reseller makes a profit on an item?

I mean the original seller has already recieved exactly what they asked for it so it just comes across as pure selfish greed to me.

The same reason that Glastonbury tickets are linked to one person: it stops everyone reserving tickets they think their friends might want just in case. It gets the tickets directly into the hands of those who actually want to go, not to people who are picking up "spares". I've picked up second hand tickets myself to go to festivals, but I can see why they would want to make it a lottery instead of an auction system. Explicitly allowing reselling would turn it into an effective auction system because they would all be straight up on Ebay for the highest bidder.

I don't see how it comes across as greed, because as you say, the original seller doesn't make more money either way.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Greed is (was) buying an OG Blue Peter badge on eBay so you didn't need to pay at some public attractions.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

spincube posted:

Greed is (was) buying an OG Blue Peter badge on eBay so you didn't need to pay at some public attractions.

How much did they sell for?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Was reminded of the glorious documentary series People Like Us earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SwECTyXaA4

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

lionlegs posted:

The same reason that Glastonbury tickets are linked to one person: it stops everyone reserving tickets they think their friends might want just in case. It gets the tickets directly into the hands of those who actually want to go, not to people who are picking up "spares". I've picked up second hand tickets myself to go to festivals, but I can see why they would want to make it a lottery instead of an auction system. Explicitly allowing reselling would turn it into an effective auction system because they would all be straight up on Ebay for the highest bidder.

I don't see how it comes across as greed, because as you say, the original seller doesn't make more money either way.

It's greed in the way that they obviously don't want anyone else to profit from the event. I hardly doubt they have fairness in mind when it comes to ticket allocation, if they did it would be a huge thing they'd be running with in terms of PR against ticket resales.

Buying one ticket per person is something i can understand as a measure to prevent mass purchase and resale, but charging retardedly high fines isn't.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8381769/Midsomer-Murders-creator-suspended-after-calling-show-the-last-bastion-of-Englishness.html posted:

Midsomer Murders creator suspended after calling show 'the last bastion of Englishness'
The creator of Midsomer Murders has been suspended after claiming that the detective series is "the last bastion of Englishness" because it has no black faces.

Brian True-May said that one reason for the show's popularity was the absence of ethnic minorities.
If black or Asian faces were introduced to the idyllic Midsomer setting "it wouldn't be the English village" that viewers know and love, he claimed. More than six million viewers regularly tune in to ITV1's cosy Sunday night drama.
"We are a cosmopolitan society in this country, but if you watch Midsomer you wouldn't think so. I've never been picked up on that, but quite honestly I wouldn't want to change it," he said.
Asked what he meant by "cosmopolitan", Mr True-May, 65, replied: "Well, we just don't have ethnic minorities involved. Because it wouldn't be the English village with them. It just wouldn't work. Suddenly we might be in Slough. Ironically, Causton [the town in Midsomer Murders] is supposed to be Slough. And if you went to Slough you wouldn't see a white face there.
"We're the last bastion of Englishness and I want to keep it that way."
His comments to the Radio Times so outraged ITV bosses that Mr True-May was promptly suspended by All3Media, the conglomerate that includes Mr True-May's company, Bentley Productions.
An ITV spokesman said: "We are shocked and appalled at these personal comments by Brian True-May which are absolutely not shared by anyone at ITV. We are in urgent discussions with All3Media, the producer of Midsomer Murders, who have informed us that they have launched an immediate investigation into the matter and have suspended Mr True-May pending the outcome."
Mr True-May gave the interview to promote the 14th series of the show, which has been sold to 231 territories around the world and continues despite the recent departure of central character DCI Tom Barnaby, played by John Nettles.
Explaining the secret of its popularity, he said: "When I talk to people and other nations they love John Nettles, but they also love the premise of the show. They love the perceived English genteel eccentricity. It's not British. It's very English."
He conceded that many people would consider that "Englishness" in the 21st century should encompass other races. "Well, it should do, and maybe I'm not politically correct," he said. "I'm trying to make something that appeals to a certain audience, which seems to succeed. And I don't want to change it."
Mr True-May added that multi-culturalism “would just look out of place” in Midsomer, with its thatched cottages and village greens. The show is filmed in South Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire. Mr True-May lives in Great Missenden, Bucks.
He is the co-creator and executive producer of the show, which began in 1997 and returns this week. Nettles has been replaced by Neil Dudgeon, who plays Tom Barnaby's cousin DCI John Barnaby.
Midsomer Murders is "the biggest drama success of all time" save for Star Trek or The X Files, according to Mr True-May, who previously worked on Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, Birds of a Feather and the SAS drama Ultimate Force.
The show's current stars were asked if they approved of the all-white cast. Dudgeon said: If people have been quite happy for it not to really change in 14 years, there's no reason to suppose they're going to want it to change now. I daresay there are some things where I would want a bit more of this and a bit less of that - but that's a long way in the future."
Jason Hughes, who plays DS Jones, added: "I've wondered myself and I don't know. It's an interesting question. This isn't an urban drama and it isn't about multiculturalism.
"That's not to say that there isn't a place for multiculturalism in the show. But that's really not up to me to decide. I don't think that we would all suddenly go, 'A black gardener in Midsomer? You can't have that!' I think we'd all go, 'Great, fantastic'."
A 2006 survey found that the show was "strikingly unpopular" with ethnic minorities. Rob Berkeley, director of The Runnymede Trust, the race equality think tank, said: "Clearly, as a fictional work, the producers of Midsomer Murders are entitled to their flights of fancy, but to claim that the English village is purely white is no longer true and not a reflection of our society - particularly to this show's large international audience.
"It is not a major surprise that ethnic minority people choose not to watch a show that excludes them."

The comments on the article are as you'd expect.

Might this embarrass them into finally cancelling the show? I can only hope, because I haven't the will to endure yet another marathon (aka one episode) at the parent's next xmas.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Ratjaculation posted:

Was reminded of the glorious documentary series People Like Us earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SwECTyXaA4

I just love the torture that the English language gets subjected to in this show.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cerv posted:

The comments on the article are as you'd expect.

Might this embarrass them into finally cancelling the show? I can only hope, because I haven't the will to endure yet another marathon (aka one episode) at the parent's next xmas.

I'm surprised people still move into a village with such a high murder rate. No loss for television if it gets axed.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

Kin posted:

It's greed in the way that they obviously don't want anyone else to profit from the event. I hardly doubt they have fairness in mind when it comes to ticket allocation, if they did it would be a huge thing they'd be running with in terms of PR against ticket resales.

Buying one ticket per person is something i can understand as a measure to prevent mass purchase and resale, but charging retardedly high fines isn't.

I don't understand why people are bitching at how the Olympic ticket sales are working. A lottery system is fine, far better and safer for the customer than allowing scalping (Even if the proposed "fine" is bullshit unenforceable fear-mongering). I'd rather have a slightly random system where anyone has a decent change of getting into an event for £20 than tickets going for £100+ from unreliable sources.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Tell me she hasnt had a tit job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6estdpJ-7y8

e: this ones better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCOwDp1BnQs
^^^ For some reason the fat moody bulldike bitch fascinates me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Graviton v2 posted:

What the hell, dude?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Graviton v2 posted:

the gently caress is this?

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Ah sorry, wasnt awake enough to realise that other people might not know what im on about without any background. The little cute blonde lead singer is Lauren Laverne from 10 o'clock live on channel 4.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Graviton v2 posted:

Ah sorry, wasnt awake enough to realise that other people might not know what im on about without any background. The little cute blonde lead singer is Lauren Laverne from 10 o'clock live on channel 4.

I know that, I just don't understand your post or why you thought it was a good idea to post it.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Flatscan posted:

I know that, I just don't understand your post or why you thought it was a good idea to post it.
Fun? Hanging out? Why not? Do feel free to report my posts to a moderator.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Graviton v2 posted:

She had a child and 14 years to finish growing up.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Graviton v2 posted:

Fun? Hanging out? Why not? Do feel free to report my posts to a moderator.

It's not that I'm offended, it's that your post is quite non-sequitur.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Flatscan posted:

It's not that I'm offended, it's that your post is quite non-sequitur.
It was, sorry, just came to my mind watching that vid that her norks had trebled in size.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

HERAK posted:

She had a child and 14 years to finish growing up.

And people to dress her for the TV.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
That 'In Your Car' track is really catchy, ive played it like 5 times :S

Still cant help observing the dyke on the bass though.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Padje posted:

And people to dress her for the TV.
bras can do a lot these days

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011
She was pregnant, there was an interview a while ago in which she talked about having huge breasts on all those billboard ads.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
They dont make em like they use to. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0zW1ovNM90

I wonder did the license payer, pay for that?

edit: lol there is a stereotypically 80's guitar solo in ther a couple of minutes in as well

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ugh, Lily Allen,"retiring" :rolleyes: from music after only making 2 albums over the space of 3 years.

After what she said regarding Radiohead she can gently caress right off.

edit: ahaha, her dream is to open a clothing store where you can rent the clothes out for a day if you cant afford to buy them. Then goes on to nick the name of the shop from the Beatles and then just blurts out that her business plan was to knock out a few pop songs to make as much money as she could and she doesn't actually have much of one now :ughh:

Kin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 15, 2011