Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrabowlMastermind
Jun 5, 2006

seravid posted:

Hadn't thought about flash. At high magnifications I always use it so it's a deal-breaker. Live-view with a DSLR doesn't seem like a great solution, though. It (should) works with the NEX since it's small and light, but with a chunky DSLR I'm not so sure. As you increase magnification, vibrations are also magnified... a lot.

That's a point actually - I already struggle with vibrations at 1:1.

They have previewed a bigger flash for the NEX already, so I'm hoping they'll expand the functionality a bit. I just wish someone would design an adapter to go from the NEX smart-shoe to the iISO hotshoe - then I could use my F58 on a sync cable with the NEX, which would be perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

That's beautiful. Got a link to a bigger version?

I haven't shot any decent macro in ages, but here's one I'm kinda happy with.

* by foogray, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Just tried my first focus stacking session. My lighting was terrible, and on top of that I have no idea how to properly use flash, so I did the best I could given the circumstances (typically I'm a "natural light" kind of guy). Arranged in order from largest to smallest.

Macro Stacking Session I - Merged by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Macro Stacking Session II - Ring Merger by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Macro Stacking Session II - Coin Merged by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Macro Stacking Session II - Merged by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Macro Stacking Session II - Dice Eye Merged by Abnegātus, on Flickr

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
This thread made me want to do some macro again.
It's wintertime so I'm using a softbox, LED ringlight and 2 speedlights.
I always wanted to do some really stopped down macro work. These are all at f16 or f22.

Leftover money from vacation:

I never even noticed the anti-counterfeiting imprint in the "00" before.

My fave headphones:

The ringlight looks like a neon octopus in a multicoated lens:

The lens used was the Olympus Zuiko 35/3.5 macro. No focus stacking.

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007
I have a bit of a collection interesting Nikkor lenses I like to play around with.

This is with a Repro Nikkor 85mm f/1.

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004
Does anyone know of a cheap (under $200) manual macro or close-focusing lens that could be adapted to a Canon mount?

I saw a Vivitar 135 2.8 that seemed interesting, but couldn't find it for sale anywhere.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
I just got my sigma 105 from keh yesterday, at like new quality for $300.

unfortunately, I get a lens communication error after every shot. I have an email in to sigma to see if it needs rechipped to work with my 7D/5Dmk2.

I wanted to use it for saturdays wedding, too.

AlienApeBoy
Jul 11, 2005
Ape
Here are a few I took a few years ago on my Canon SD400:

(and yes, I did make use of the LCD to avoid staring down a .45 hollowpoint like a dumbass).

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
This thread should be closed because its making me want to buy a macro lens. :colbert:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

Does anyone know of a cheap (under $200) manual macro or close-focusing lens that could be adapted to a Canon mount?

I saw a Vivitar 135 2.8 that seemed interesting, but couldn't find it for sale anywhere.

Panagor 90m 2.8f in Y/CX mount is what I'm using at the moment.

Radzin
Sep 3, 2006

forward forward high kick
just got an SB-600 and am currently in experiment mode...mind the subject.

Click here for the full 1360x982 image.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

AlienApeBoy posted:

Here are a few I took a few years ago on my Canon SD400:

(and yes, I did make use of the LCD to avoid staring down a .45 hollowpoint like a dumbass).

Holy poo poo man. I wouldn't have a round chambered anywhere near me with a gun I wasn't planning to shoot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HeyEng posted:

Holy poo poo man. I wouldn't have a round chambered anywhere near me with a gun I wasn't planning to shoot.

It is kind of a neat shot however. But I probably would have kept trying until I got centered on the barrel. :colbert:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes macro is really hard :(

Got a few chances at this guy who was hanging out my kitchen but I'm not really happy with any of them.

Canon T2i, 100/2.8 macro, 3rd party extension tube & ring flash.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Well, first of all, try to be on the same level as your subject, helicopter shots aren't great for the audience to make a "connection" with the critter. Jumpers have great big eyes too, so use that to your advantage.

Technically, you got too much red and too little contrast. The environment isn't very colorful either, but not much you can do about that.

Show us a couple more pics :)

seravid fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 21, 2011

Juaninn
Oct 16, 2006

FUCKING AWESOME!
I'm still relatively new to macro, and it shows in my shots, but I currently don't do any post-work, as I'm still learning the basics of it. Does anyone have any good sources on how to use Lightroom 3?

Criticism is welcome and encouraged.

Raindrop by Juaninn, on Flickr

Droplets by Juaninn, on Flickr

Hidden frog by Juaninn, on Flickr

Timid spider by Juaninn, on Flickr

Froggy! by Juaninn, on Flickr

Male St. Andrews by Juaninn, on Flickr

Female St. Andrews by Juaninn, on Flickr

Spider babies by Juaninn, on Flickr

Bug thing by Juaninn, on Flickr

AlienApeBoy
Jul 11, 2005
Ape

xzzy posted:

It is kind of a neat shot however. But I probably would have kept trying until I got centered on the barrel. :colbert:

As far as loaded guns, I carry one every day (CCW holder), so it's not that strange to me.

As for centering on the barrel, I think my hope was to show some of the rifling of the side of the barrel too, but alas not enough of it was really in focus. Since this was with a P&S, I was at the mercy of it's auto-focus, so I had to rely on the fact that the trigger guard was in the same plane as the bullet, focus on that, and pan over to the muzzle (all the while keeping just the camera and none of me in harms way :) ) Here's a similar one I tried with my .38 snubnose. EDIT: I figure before I leave the subject of weapons/things I carry every I'll add a few others:

Ok... I'll quit before the monotony of my Ikea desk bores the poo poo out of everyone.

AlienApeBoy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 22, 2011

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

I'm curious to what this would look like with focus stacking.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I know a lot of people with Raynox dcr-250s post here, so wondering: I just bought bought one, but a bit confused how you actually attach it to the lens- using a canon 5D mark II, was hoping to attach it to my sigma 105 f2.8 or my sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6.

The diagram has it attaching what looks like a dslr without an adaptor. If it needs an adaptor, can someone point me in the right direction?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

the_lion posted:

I know a lot of people with Raynox dcr-250s post here, so wondering: I just bought bought one, but a bit confused how you actually attach it to the lens- using a canon 5D mark II, was hoping to attach it to my sigma 105 f2.8 or my sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6.

The diagram has it attaching what looks like a dslr without an adaptor. If it needs an adaptor, can someone point me in the right direction?

You press the tabs on the outside and there are "claws" on the inside that clamp inside the filter ring of your lens.

I took my macro lens out to a botanical garden on Sunday because I need to see some color besides "steel gray" and "dirty snow"

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Your post made me realise that i am in fact an idiot-my lenses already had other filters on them. You can't have two filters on at the same time, haha. Must be a lack of sleep...

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Just some random shots around Manhattan

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Gravitom posted:

Focus stacked? That texture is amazing but it seems blotchy.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Guys what's the best way for me to shoot macro on the cheap.
The lenses I currently have are the nifty 50, 8-16 sigma, 17-50 tamron and 70-200 F4L. I have some crappy cheap extension tubes but no AF.
I was thinking of grabbing the Raynox DCR-250 thing and using it with my 70-200L? Is it worth like £35? Will the images be pretty good?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

A5H posted:

The lenses I currently have are the nifty 50, 8-16 sigma, 17-50 tamron and 70-200 F4L. I have some crappy cheap extension tubes but no AF.
I was thinking of grabbing the Raynox DCR-250 thing and using it with my 70-200L? Is it worth like £35? Will the images be pretty good?

I never used the Raynox thing but I use the Canon 500D on my 70-200 2.8 IS II and it's excellent. I actually had a 150mm dedicated macro lens for a good while and with this new setup, I really don't miss it. I don't notice any difference in the image quality and the only disadvantage I can see is that I lose infinity focus, which IMO isn't a big deal. Also you won't be at a disadvantage shooting macro at f/4 and smaller. I doubt you'll ever run into a macro situation where too much area is in focus.

I don't know what you'd pay for it in pounds, but here in the states the Raynox goes for $60 and the Canon for about $144. I couldn't tell you if it's worth the savings.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

A5H posted:

You can't mount the DCR-250 on a 70-200. The Raynox's "universal" adapter has a maximum diameter of 67mm but even then you'll get severe vignetting. Get a Canon 500D (or 250D) like Haggins mentioned or try to find something like a Marumi Achromat. Anything with multiple optical elements (apochromatic) should do, really.

Keep in mind that 200mm is pretty long and long focal length + high magnification = constant earthquake when you look through the viewfinder.

Why don't you try the tubes with the 50, can't go cheaper than that. You won't be able to shoot dragonflies with it but it's a good place to start.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm on a crop body so are you sure? (7D)
The filter on the F4L is 67mm so ideal? Also there's a lot of shots on flickr using that combo?
The canon is like 5 times more expensive and I'm not that interested, just want to fool around.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

HeyEng posted:

but he was shooting :haw:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

seravid posted:

Keep in mind that 200mm is pretty long and long focal length + high magnification = constant earthquake when you look through the viewfinder.

I've been having this problem a lot, would a nice monopod (ideally quick-adjusting) help me out if bugs are my primary subject? I'm just trying to figure out additional ways to add stability while I'm framing a shot. I figure tripods are too slow and cumbersome specially if I'm kinda following a bug around waiting for him to post up for a photo op.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

A5H posted:

The filter on the F4L is 67mm so ideal? Also there's a lot of shots on flickr using that combo?
The canon is like 5 times more expensive and I'm not that interested, just want to fool around.

I forgot about that. The 2.8 I have is 77mm. It doesn't seem Canon makes lens adaptors that size so I would forget about buying Canon.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Stew Man Chew posted:

I've been having this problem a lot, would a nice monopod (ideally quick-adjusting) help me out if bugs are my primary subject? I'm just trying to figure out additional ways to add stability while I'm framing a shot. I figure tripods are too slow and cumbersome specially if I'm kinda following a bug around waiting for him to post up for a photo op.

At the very least, a tripod can be a used as a quick acting monopod, though bulkier. As far as slow and cumbersome, that all depends on how much you're willing to spend on a tripod. Carbon fiber is very light and finding a tripod with independently moving legs will speed things up a lot. I don't really feel I need a monopod at all.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

the_lion posted:

Your post made me realise that i am in fact an idiot-my lenses already had other filters on them. You can't have two filters on at the same time, haha. Must be a lack of sleep...
You have some wacky-rear end filters, then. All of mine have front threading.

A5H posted:

Of those choices, I'd use the DCR-250 with the nifty 50 because the smaller front element means you won't get any vignetting on a crop body (sample.) You most likely still won't want to autofocus but it's a great combo for cheap macro.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

A5H posted:

Oh, I thought the 70-200 was 72 or 77mm. I guess at 200mm (with the close-up) you'll be using the very center of the lens so perhaps there won't be any significant vignetting. If there are people on flickr using this combo, that's a good sign, I guess.

Stew Man Chew posted:

Depends on the bugs, what do you usually shoot? I can see a good monopod working well with (reasonably big) flying subjects like butterflies and dragonflies, but with crawling critters you're better off practicing your handling (quite important) and/or get a shorter focal length and/or reducing the magnification. That's my experience, at least. I tried using my tripod as an improvised monopod and while the additional stability is nice, I need absolute mobility to follow a jumper around so that was that.

GWBBQ posted:

Of those choices, I'd use the DCR-250 with the nifty 50 because the smaller front element means you won't get any vignetting on a crop body (sample.) You most likely still won't want to autofocus but it's a great combo for cheap macro.
Problem with that combo is that the close-up eats up working distance like nobody's business. Combined with a 50mm it'll be tough to shoot anything easily frightened.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Reckon mainly it'll be handling practice, need to build up some muscle tone in my arms anyway. I hadn't realized the full implications of my long focal length lens (150mm sigma) I was mainly excited for longer working distance. Thanks y'all.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

TheLastManStanding posted:

Focus stacked? That texture is amazing but it seems blotchy.

No focus stacking, just a single shot with a Canon 100m 2.8 Macro. I do agree that something does look wonky about it though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

A5H posted:

Buy a reversing ring and use the 50mm reversed. Should be around $10, but still no AF.

Of course, you can't autofocus macro anyway. To shoot it at 1:1, you're going to be either moving the subject in and out or the camera/lens in and out. So, don't worry too much about AF.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 13, 2011

Catico
Oct 13, 2004
ASK ME ABOUT MY CATS
I posted originally over in the My First DLSR thread, but I think you guys might be able to help me a little bit better.

I'm doing a research project that requires photographing lots of archaeological artifacts, many of which are going to be small. Capturing detail is really important, though more at the level of the text on a coin than the facets of a bug's eye. I'm in the market for an entry level DLSR and a macro lens capable of getting to that level of detail. Does anybody have any recommendations on equipment, etc.? I've done quite a bit of object photography before, but usually I've just depended on high-level point and shoots with decent macro settings to get close up shots. I don't have a ton of DLSR experience, and I know there's a learning curve ahead!

I'd ideally like to keep my budget as close to $1000 as possible, though I recognize that may not happen. I need to get a camera body, lens, tripod, and lighting/background setup. Any and all advice is appreciated!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Catico posted:

Any and all advice is appreciated!
Any DSLR with liveview, a 50mm Macro (1:1), a pair of cobras with a homemade lightbox, a decent tripod and you're set. I'm assuming you can manipulate the artifacts and place them wherever you like? If you can't the lightbox probably isn't a good idea.

Also, how small is small? 1:1 might not be enough. In that case, buy some extension tubes too.

seravid fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 13, 2011

Catico
Oct 13, 2004
ASK ME ABOUT MY CATS

seravid posted:

Any DSLR with liveview, a 50mm Macro (1:1), a pair of cobras with a homemade lightbox, a decent tripod and you're set. I'm assuming you can manipulate the artifacts and place them wherever you like? If you can't the lightbox probably isn't a good idea.

Also, how small is small? 1:1 might not be enough. In that case, buy some extension tubes too.

Forgive my total lack of knowledge, but what are cobras?

By small I mean anything from palm-sized to the size of a quarter, mostly. Occasionally some things will be smaller (~dime-sized), but I expect this to be rare. I'll be able to move stuff around as much as I need.

I'd love an auto-focusing macro lens, if I can get the funding for it. Does anybody make one that costs less than an entire camera body? (My one experience with a Rebel and a manual-focus macro lens was pretty disastrous. Granted, I was working quickly, without practice, and in a dark, 110F cabin in the jungle, but that made me really really appreciate auto-focus.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Catico posted:

Forgive my total lack of knowledge, but what are cobras?

By small I mean anything from palm-sized to the size of a quarter, mostly. Occasionally some things will be smaller (~dime-sized), but I expect this to be rare. I'll be able to move stuff around as much as I need.

I'd love an auto-focusing macro lens, if I can get the funding for it. Does anybody make one that costs less than an entire camera body? (My one experience with a Rebel and a manual-focus macro lens was pretty disastrous. Granted, I was working quickly, without practice, and in a dark, 110F cabin in the jungle, but that made me really really appreciate auto-focus.)

The tokina 100/sigma 105/tamron 90 are all sub $400 and are pretty good, though slower AF than the canon 100 which you can find used for $450-500. I would also highly recommend the sigma 150mm which I have (and am still lazily trying to sell)