Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
What size tires does it use? Or what year & CC is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
2008 Kawasaki Versys 650cc

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
The PR3 wasn't even announced around here. :(

I can only hope michelin will have launched it when I have to change the tires, i'd love to run the PR3 in 110 and 150 sizes.

Btw, you guys know of any other front 17" 110 radial ? I have never heard of such thing, and I don't really want to swap rims to get a 120 in the front when it comes the time for me to go radial...

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Christobevii3 posted:

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650cc
They make 'em. That bike runs 120/70-17 front and 160/60-17 rear.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/35276/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Road-3-Front-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/35277/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Road-3-Rear-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

edit: ^^^^ Michelin and Bridgestone make 110 sizes in most of their tire models. You want sport touring right? You've got Pilot Road 2's, PR 3's, BT045's, and BT023's off the top of my head. Metzler and/or Avon may make some as well, but I'm not sure -- don't deal with them as much as the big 4.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 14, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

-Inu- posted:

They make 'em. That bike runs 120/70-17 front and 160/60-17 rear.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/35276/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Road-3-Front-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/35277/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Road-3-Rear-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

edit: ^^^^ Michelin and Bridgestone make 110 sizes in most of their tire models. You want sport touring right? You've got Pilot Road 2's, PR 3's, BT045's, and BT023's off the top of my head. Metzler and/or Avon may make some as well, but I'm not sure -- don't deal with them as much as the big 4.

He's got a Serow sumo.

Pirelli makes diablo supercorsas in 110 but they might be hard to get ahold of in your country.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Oh. Bridgestone also makes the BT003 RS in a 110 size too. My ninja 250 tire of choice!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sorry Michelin, looks like Maxxis has out done the PR3 in the weird-tread stakes.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Chicken strips that actively mock you

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Crayvex posted:

It's time for new tires for my 2002 Yamaha-R6. The owner's manual recommends the following:

Front - 120/60 ZR17 M/C (55W)
Rear - 180/55 ZR17 M/C (73W)

Michelin - Pilot SPORT B
Dunlop - D207FJ/D207N

What SHOULD I be putting on this bike? I use it for commuting/touring. I'm not a race track guy.

Also, should I be okay with these stands for removing my tires?

Although I promised myself I would buy tires over the winter, I was lazy. The goon consensus back in October is that the Pilot Road 2's would be fine (if flighty). I'm ready to make the order, but I noticed many late model R6 riders are stating that Pilot Powers are awesome. I will end up riding in the rain and I'm not sure if they will have decent wet grip. Should I just go with Pilot Road 2's?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Pilot Powers are great tires and good in the rain for a hypersport tire, but have a longer warm up time and won't handle cold or wet as well as the Pilot Road 2/3s will. They'll also wear a lot faster.

If you were doing regular trackdays, I'd say go with the Pilot Powers, for all weather commuting, go with the Road 2s.

Most late model R6 riders have ridden 2 tires: The OEM ones and the Pilot Powers. So of course the Pilot Powers are better.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Most of the sport bike people I know use pilot powers but they also last like 2000-3000 miles for them. The pilot road people I know are getting 8000 to 10000 miles. If you are pushing it hard all the time the powers might be ok, but I'd just get the roads.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
2-3k on a PP is rape, I saw 5k out of a rear on a 600 that I did a couple track days and 4-5 runs a week of the local canyons.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The non 2CT pilot powers are also one of the best tires for the price right now,

94$ front tire 120-70-17
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/6163/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Power-Front-Tire.aspx

115$ for rear. 180-55-17

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/6164/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Power-Rear-Tire.aspx

so ~210$ for the set with free shipping :3

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Pilot Road 2's it is. Thanks for the help guys. Now I just need to get my wheels off without dropping the bike.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

infraboy posted:

The non 2CT pilot powers are also one of the best tires for the price right now,

94$ front tire 120-70-17
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/6163/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Power-Front-Tire.aspx

115$ for rear. 180-55-17

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/6164/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Power-Rear-Tire.aspx

so ~210$ for the set with free shipping :3
FWIW Cycle Gear is doing a package deal on the Pirelli Diablo's for $170 for a 180+120 set. If you buy them locally and the store is out, they are allowed to substitute the deal with a set of Q2's or BT016's for $199 (get the Q2's if you do this).

But yeah, the Pilot Powers are fantastic tires and are the go-to tire for all of us at work who ride on the street. Decent mileage (~4000-5000 abouts) and more grip than you should ever need on the street. Anything softer and you're riding the mountains too hard... Not that it's bad to have extra grip, but I digress, that's another discussion.

If you're solely commuting with a rare trip up to the mountains, PR2's or PR3's are your ticket. If you're going to be riding a bit more aggressively, I have nothing bad to say about the Power's. Cold and wet grip is plenty sufficient. I've had my set since October I think and commuted all winter, rain,snow,sleet,shine, whatever. I've never even had the tires slip on me.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Good choice on PR2s, they cost a bit more than the sport tires but they last a LOT longer, i've got about 5500 miles on the PR2s on my CBR and they look like they'll last at least another 5500 miles, probably more. You can still drag knee on them and they're great in the rain, i'm pleasantly surprised how fast you can still go in the rain with them, not that i'm advocating you go nuts in the rain, you still should try being smooth with inputs with not abrupt motions.

Oddly enough the front PR2 seems like it's going to be need replacing before the rear, but I still need to ride it more to confirm when they've worn down.

I'm definitely trying the Pilot Road 3s when I get the chance.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Tires are here and I'd Ike to remove the wheels myself. Um... where would I find a 19mm hex key for the front axle?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Crayvex posted:

Tires are here and I'd Ike to remove the wheels myself. Um... where would I find a 19mm hex key for the front axle?

You can get an axle tool from places like cyclegear which will do it but they cost 20-45$.

You could always see if you can find a large enough hex key socket at a specialty tools place (sears don't have them generally past 10 or 12mm from what Ive seen.).

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Well drat. That's starting to eat into the cost savings of taking the wheels off myself.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Crayvex posted:

Well drat. That's starting to eat into the cost savings of taking the wheels off myself.

I just had to do the same thing. Bought one at my local motorcycle shop for $40. Expensive, but it fits 4 sizes, and I don't see myself not having motorcycles anytime soon.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0397/
this thing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I used to use the top of a spark plug socket.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
If you know someone who can weld, pop a 19mm bolt head on a metal rod. Bingo-bango, 19mm hex key for a couple bucks.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

My 06 R6 doesn't even need it. You can use it if you have it, but it's also possible to just bang out the front axle with screwdriver and hammer. Don't know if it's the same on earlier models or not.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

AncientTV posted:

If you know someone who can weld, pop a 19mm bolt head on a metal rod. Bingo-bango, 19mm hex key for a couple bucks.

19mm nut on a reverse threaded 19mm shaft

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

New rubber installed. The backwards sparkplug socket worked perfectly! I also didn't mess with the chain adjusters, I dropped the rear axle and just rolled the tire forward. It was an easy job mostly due to having an extra set of hands. Thanks, big brother!

So how do I break these in without killing myself?

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Go slow for the first 50-100 miles, slowly pushing them out further and go ginger on the throttle. Do these things and all will be well on god's gay earth.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
I'd go slow for at least 100. Both tires never break in exactly the same. Start out really easy, get a feel for how the new front throws you into corners easier than the last. Push that lean angle out a bit at a time. You'll know when they're ready for serious riding.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I must be a crackhead, I never wait even 50mi. Scrub them in and go.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

This is covered in the OP of the thread.

quote:

Breaking in tires

Cold tires are slick. New cold tires are doubly slick. There is no longer any mold release used in the molds, however, the tires still have a very uniform surface out of the molds which will reduce available traction. On street use, one decent ride where the tires get warm and you slowly work up your lean angle will have your tires completely broken in. The trick is to slowly increase lean angle so that at no time while you're leaned over is your entire contact patch in the smooth section of the tire.

There's no need to wait 50 or 100 miles. These aren't bias plies. The most important thing is to get the tires nice and hot with some good acceleration and braking while upright, and slowly increase lean angle a little bit at a time.

Also check your pressures. I've seen a lot of tires sent out with the seating PSI still in them, 60+ pounds.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
On the same token, I got a front tire back at 15psi. :suicide:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

On the same token, I got a front tire back at 15psi. :suicide:

More traction for the holeshot stoppies.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I broke in the Pilot Roads 2 yesterday by putting 200+ miles on them although most of those were highway miles. They definitely handle differently then the stock Dunlops that were on there. What tire pressure should I be rocking these things at?

Ahh, yes. The chicken strips are coming in nicely.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Crayvex posted:

What tire pressure should I be rocking these things at?

Just stick with the pressure the bike manufacturer suggests.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

For mostly commuting, I'd probably run about 36/38. But start with what's recommended for your bike, and work your way down until you find what feels right for you.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

My God the new tires are amazing. I feel like an idiot for riding around with the original nine year old tires. It just feels so much more trustworthy in the twisties and tar ribbons/rain grooves have no noticeable effect any more.

I'm currently at the R6's recommended 36 psi on both tires. The tires themselves ask for 42. I'd like to stay at 36. Is that gonna hurt anything?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

No.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I apologise if this is covered already in this thread, but for pilot powers (not 2CT) what is recommended pressure for street/track? Im seeing some posts of forums with some really high pressures (eg 38 or 40+) for street which seems high.. I run 30 for track, 33 for street. On a sv650.

edit -rear tire specifically

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

For an SV I'd be running 33f/36r on the street and 30f/30r on the track. You can bump up the street psi a bit higher than that even if you're just commuting, maybe 36/38.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crayvex posted:

I'm currently at the R6's recommended 36 psi on both tires. The tires themselves ask for 42. I'd like to stay at 36. Is that gonna hurt anything?

Isn't that just the max pressure listed on the sidewall? I'd go for the pressures listed in your bike's manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

KozmoNaut posted:

Isn't that just the max pressure listed on the sidewall? I'd go for the pressures listed in your bike's manual.

Sounds about right - the manual for my Street Triple asks for 36/42.

(which sounds a bit crazy, admittedly)

• Locked thread