Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Manwithastick posted:

Did people object to the Attitude era as much as we seem to object to the PG era? Granted we have the internet but I can imagine the old school wassling fans hating the rudeness and the ladies in bikinis

Basically you can look back fondly on the Attitude Era because of things like McMahon/Austin, Rock/Austin, Triple H/Foley, but people always forget that they pulled a hand out of Mae Young's vagina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Burrito posted:

Basically you can look back fondly on the Attitude Era because of things like McMahon/Austin, Rock/Austin, Triple H/Foley, but people always forget that they pulled a hand out of Mae Young's vagina.

I think people remember it as a "Ha ha oh Russo" but I challenge anyone to try to watch Attitude Era Raw's without getting offended like they do at John Cena making gay jokes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Manwithastick posted:

Did people object to the Attitude era as much as we seem to object to the PG era? Granted we have the internet but I can imagine the old school wassling fans hating the rudeness and the ladies in bikinis

Basically most of the undercard stuff going on in the Attitude era was awful but it was all brand new then. There are certain cards, like Survivor Series '97, that deserve recognition as some of the worst ever, and if a card like that ran today everyone would run it down as such.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Basically most of the undercard stuff going on in the Attitude era was awful but it was all brand new then. There are certain cards, like Survivor Series '97, that deserve recognition as some of the worst ever, and if a card like that ran today everyone would run it down as such.

I just looked up the card, and holy hell, was that 3 hours?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I just looked up the card, and holy hell, was that 3 hours?

I bring it up because I just watched it recently. Holy god is it an awful show.

-Austin v. Owen revenge match gets four minutes.
-They have four elimination tag matches, containing all of two people they want to push (Rock and Shamrock). Then there's issues like the fact that the booking is not on top of the fact that they're in Canada at all. Team Canada comes out to a babyface pop of course, and the Americans get heat, but then Vader plays the babyface all match when Goldust turns heel on the heels.
-Of course there is the screwjob main event.

I mean, if you ever want a concise picture of how much better the talent/ringwork is today then it was in Attitude, watch Truth Commission v. Disciples of Apocalypse. There are workers on the card, but there's so much dead weight it's unbelievable and they're getting most of the time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Manwithastick posted:

It was almost single-handedly responsible for the brief rise of the Parents Television Council to prominence and media attention. Eh.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
You can complain about heel Cole today but nothing on Earth (hmm maybe Mark Madden) was worse than attitude era Lawler when there was a woman on screen.

And I'd rather watch the Truth Commission vs DOA than any combination of Orton/Cena/HHH.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What's the origin of the cage match? I used to think of it as a relatively recent gimmick, but they were doing it at least as far back as the early 80s, and I'm curious to know when it started and who concocted it.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Maxwell Lord posted:

What's the origin of the cage match? I used to think of it as a relatively recent gimmick, but they were doing it at least as far back as the early 80s, and I'm curious to know when it started and who concocted it.

The first cage match was Jack Bloomfield versus Count Petro Rossi in a chicken wire cage match back on June 25th 1937 in Atlanta. The story behind the match was that the 'promoter was so worried about the fans response to Count Rossi's actions the only way he could protect both men was for the match to occur in a steel cage.'

The first steel cage match that featured an actual steel cage took place 5 years later in Hamilton, Ontario. In that match the cage was 6 feet tall and was designed to keep both men in the ring after a series of count out finishes.

It wasn't until 1960 that the cage match became a somewhat regular occurance.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Timby posted:

It was almost single-handedly responsible for the brief rise of the Parents Television Council to prominence and media attention. Eh.

It helped but Janet Jacksons nibble was the thing that really made them well known.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bobkatt013 posted:

It helped but Janet Jacksons nibble was the thing that really made them well known.

No wonder young girls are anorexic nowadays with the way the media railed on Janet for having a bite to eat. :haw:

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Timby posted:

Which I'd be mad about if it hadn't given us Mister Steven Richards and Right To Censor, one of my favourite gimmicks of all time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

They were well known years before that and the WWE was a reason for that.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

First question: When was the last time the WWE used the blue bar "FIFTEEN FOOT HIGH STEEL CAGE"?

Second question: Having seen the Jeff Hardy bombed-out-of-his-mind clip from last night, when was the last time we ever saw someone come to the ring visibly intoxicated in such a manner? I, myself, have never seen anything that bad before, but I can't imagine it's that isolated an incident.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Second question: Having seen the Jeff Hardy bombed-out-of-his-mind clip from last night, when was the last time we ever saw someone come to the ring visibly intoxicated in such a manner? I, myself, have never seen anything that bad before, but I can't imagine it's that isolated an incident.

Scott Hall did it quite a few times in WCW. I think he once fell asleep in the bathroom of a bar they were filming a skit in, too. I could be wrong but I remember some sort of story like that.

I don't know if Hall ever wrestled hosed up but I know he was drunk during quite a few promos.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

First question: When was the last time the WWE used the blue bar "FIFTEEN FOOT HIGH STEEL CAGE"?

Was it the Triple H/Mankind one from their 1997 feud?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Scott Hall did it quite a few times in WCW. I think he once fell asleep in the bathroom of a bar they were filming a skit in, too. I could be wrong but I remember some sort of story like that.

I don't know if Hall ever wrestled hosed up but I know he was drunk during quite a few promos.

Most of the "Scott Hall is walking around here drunk!" stuff was worked shoot bullshit.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The last time it was seen was in the Kennel from Hell match as the inner cage. Before than in WWE it was last used in the April 17th 1997 WWF title match between Bret Hart and Sid.

Strangely enough later that year the blue cage made its one and only appearance in WCW with fellow WWE allumni Roddy Piper and Hollywood Hulk Hogan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Eddie Guerrero, I believe, wrestled under the influence.

And with the highspots they use in the cage match, you'd think they'd stick with the blue one, since it looks a lot easier to climb then the chain link one.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 15, 2011

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Davros1 posted:

Eddie Guerrero, I believe, wrestled under the influence.

And with the highspots they use in the cage match, you'd think they'd stick with the blue one, since it looks a lot easier to climb then the chain link one.

The workers don't like it because the bars are really solid and it hurts a lot more to bump into.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jake the Snake is known for this and has done it several times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9clRpVbYZw8

Basically, unless it's a lovely indy show this doesn't typically happen though. TNA really made themselves look bush league last night.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

HEY GIANT THAT'S YOUR CUE.

Also, people claim that Sandman can't wrestle worth a poo poo if he's sober. So if he had a good match in WWE ECW... he was drunk.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Didn't Hardy wrestled a few WWE matches under the influence? I swear I remember him coming out looking not quite there.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 15, 2011

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

MassRayPer posted:

They were well known years before that and the WWE was a reason for that.

By 2000, the PTC were releasing reports on every episode of Smackdown. Like every chair shot, every blade job, every scantly clad woman, and they were pressuring the general public to advertise companies that bought time during Smackdown.

This led to a hilarious situation where PTC was basically pleading with parents to boycott the "Truth" youth anti-smoking campaign.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

Also, people claim that Sandman can't wrestle worth a poo poo if he's sober. So if he had a good match in WWE ECW... he was drunk.

Sandman claims he has no balance when he's sober. He used to work on the scaffolding on building sites while drunk.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Skinty McEdger posted:

The last time it was seen was in the Kennel from Hell match as the inner cage. Before than in WWE it was last used in the April 17th 1997 WWF title match between Bret Hart and Sid.

Incorrect. From BreakDown in September of 1998: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6kr2r1jSgY

Vince and Stone Cold used that cage as well at the St. Valentine's Day Massacre in 1999, but it was painted black by then.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Skinty McEdger posted:

Sandman claims he has no balance when he's sober. He used to work on the scaffolding on building sites while drunk.

Maybe that's why Bender looked like the Sandman in that Tales of Interest episode of Futurama. The Sandman is the prototype for bending units, and he can be arrested for being under his legal limit.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Giedroyc posted:

And I'd rather watch the Truth Commission vs DOA than any combination of Orton/Cena/HHH.

drat son, let's not say things we can't take back.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The wife and I were watching the Rock dvd tonight and she wondered if Hogan ever talked poo poo about the Rock. I told her about what he said about Austin (that yeah he was big for like 3 years but I was big for 15) and she wanted to know if he's ever gone on record about the Rock too.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TenaciousJ posted:

Maybe that's why Bender looked like the Sandman in that Tales of Interest episode of Futurama. The Sandman is the prototype for bending units, and he can be arrested for being under his legal limit.

It didn't help that he only wrestled sober twice in ECW and got injured both times.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Sean Waltman has gone on record saying he's smoked doobs before matches before, but I'd hardly call smoking a bit of pot being dangerously intoxicated or anything, just unprofessional.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Sean Waltman has gone on record saying he's smoked doobs before matches before, but I'd hardly call smoking a bit of pot being dangerously intoxicated or anything, just unprofessional.

Some people handle it better...hardy is a lifer though so I'm pretty sure he had ALOT more than just weed

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I think most people would agree that the build for Wrestlemania has been pretty weak but I've been wondering, what was the best booked build for Wrestlemania? Not so much who's in the matches as the booking of the feuds.

Off the top of my head I'd say 2005. You had the massive HHH/Batista thing, you had Angle's attempts to top HBK, you had the interest over the first MITB, you had Rey/Eddie before it got stupid and you had Orton killing legends to get to Taker. But then, I've not been a fan for that many years really, so I'm sure I'm missing better ones.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

I think most people would agree that the build for Wrestlemania has been pretty weak but I've been wondering, what was the best booked build for Wrestlemania? Not so much who's in the matches as the booking of the feuds.

Off the top of my head I'd say 2005. You had the massive HHH/Batista thing, you had Angle's attempts to top HBK, you had the interest over the first MITB, you had Rey/Eddie before it got stupid and you had Orton killing legends to get to Taker. But then, I've not been a fan for that many years really, so I'm sure I'm missing better ones.

I would have to say the Tyson Wrestlemania (16? I forget), it has the mainstream attention, a great balance of styles and Micheals put on probably my fave HBK match (I like his first run best, what can I said)

Only downside is the awful national album by the DX band - yuck

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's probably going to be a show from the past decade, as they've focused on most matches and not 2 or 3. I like WM20's build a bit more than 21's. Although if we're talking matches with build, I'd say...hm...3, I guess? In fact, I might actually choose that. Hogan vs. Andre, Savage vs. Steamboat, Bulldogs & Santana vs. Hart Foundation & Davis, HTM vs. Jake the Snake, Piper vs. Adonis.

The best build for a single match has to be Hogan vs. Savage. Unbelievably great booking, with incredible subtlety and foreshadowing in the months leading up. I don't think anything comes close.

I have to wonder if Savage was involved in his angles, because he generally had really fantastic booking for most of his WWF career. The build to the match with Warrior was great, as was the build to his match with Steamboat.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 15, 2011

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Build was very different before the Attitude Era, because jobber matches were so prevailant, and the mere concept that any 2 "winning" wrestlers would be facing each other in a back-and-forth match was exciting in itself.

It's hard to envision that WWE would announce John Cena having a match at wrestlemania, and the fact that he is wrestling, instead of appearing in a pre-taped vignette or highlights package would be an exciting selling point.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Captain Charisma posted:

I have to wonder if Savage was involved in his angles, because he generally had really fantastic booking for most of his WWF career. The build to the match with Warrior was great, as was the build to his match with Steamboat.

His feud with Jake Roberts was incredible, as was the feud with Flair, though the Flair feud would be awesomer if they had started the angle before they booked the match for WrestleMania.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I have very fond memories of the build up to Wrestlemania XII, but only the iron man match. Everything else was just sort of "Whatever, these are the matches that'll be on the PPV," but everything they did to work toward that title match just made it seem like it was the biggest match in the history of the world.

Maybe it's because I was 11 and was a huge mark for both Bret and Shawn, but still.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Karmine posted:

I have very fond memories of the build up to Wrestlemania XII, but only the iron man match. Everything else was just sort of "Whatever, these are the matches that'll be on the PPV," but everything they did to work toward that title match just made it seem like it was the biggest match in the history of the world.

Maybe it's because I was 11 and was a huge mark for both Bret and Shawn, but still.

Well the WWF was booked like something resembling steaming garbage from about 1992-99, with the main event scene being sporadically booked well during that time, and the most lifeless point being 95-96.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Captain Charisma posted:

Well the WWF was booked like something resembling steaming garbage from about 1992-99, with the main event scene being sporadically booked well during that time, and the most lifeless point being 95-96.

Well, consider the roster they had to work with in 95 and 96 other than Bret, Owen, Undertaker, Razor, and Diesel, who was worth giving a poo poo about?

e: I just realized that this doesn't really respond to your point or contribute to the discussion but suffice to say the WWF roster was absolute crap in 1995.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 15, 2011