Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2600: The Hacker Quarterly is an American publication that specializes in publishing technical information on a variety of subjects including telephone switching systems, Internet protocols and services, as well as general news concerning the computer "underground" and left wing, and sometimes (but not recently), anarchist issues

snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

2600: The Hacker Quarterly is an American publication that specializes in publishing technical information on a variety of subjects including telephone switching systems, Internet protocols and services, as well as general news concerning the computer "underground" and left wing, and sometimes (but not recently), anarchist issues

snype

I have a friend who literally still goes to their meetings.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

my friend from college used to host 2600 meetings. he also carried a printed out copy of the jargon file everywhere with him, and was an ordained subgenius minister.

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

Sweevo posted:

my friend from college used to host 2600 meetings. he also carried a printed out copy of the jargon file everywhere with him, and was an ordained subgenius minister.

your friend huh

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

poo poo i've been rumbled, it was me all along.

*invites 10 greaseball strangers into his house*
*performs discordian wedding*

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i always thought discordianism was a bit more chill than subgenius :frog::pipe:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

lazar wulf posted:

imitation dews: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_citrus_sodas

Hillbilly Holler

Hillbilly Holler is a generic version of Mountain Dew sold at Fareway stores under the Fastco brand name. Rather than being a direct play on the name Mountain Dew, this name and some other generics make reference to the song, Good Old Mountain Dew, which praises the moonshine brewed in the Appalachian Mountains. Hillbilly and Holler are words referring to Appalachian Mountain life. The taste falls somewhere between Mello Yello and Mountain Dew.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

quote:

Types of Satire

Satirical literature can commonly be categorized as either Horatian or Juvenalian, although the two are not entirely mutually exclusive..
Horatian

Named for the Roman satirist, Horace, this playfully criticizes some social vice through gentle, mild, and light-hearted humour. It directs wit, exaggeration, and self-deprecating humour toward what it identifies as folly, rather than evil. Horatian satire's sympathetic tone is common in modern society.

Examples of Horatian satire include:

* Daniel Defoe's The True-Born Englishman
* Alexander Pope's The Rape of the Lock
* C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters
* The Onion, an American satiric weekly
* Matt Groening's The Simpsons
* The Ig Nobel Prizes.
* Family guy

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Has anyone mentioned the Scotch Wiki yet http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Spellin

Here at Wikipaedia it's recommendit that fowk uises "tradeetional" pan-dialect spellins. Awtho thir isna sae strict as in Inglis we ettle tae come up wi writin that's easy tae read an can be soondit bi readers in thair ain dialect. Ae thing tae mynd is that maist fowk that kens better disna uise the apologetic apostrophe onymair. Mair oot ower evyte slang in an encyclopaedia.
O coorse maist awbody haesna been teached siclike at the schuil but wi practice it shoudna be ower deeficult. A wheen resoorces is aboot that expounds on whit "tradeetional" spellins is an hou tae applee thaim in a conseestant mainer.
We ettle tae follae the wey set oot bi the Report an Recommends o the Scots Spellin Comatee, itherwise kent as the RRSSC.
Fowk that writes airticles but disna hae the Scots can eik the {{fixscots}} template or the {{Translation}} template.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Ae thing tae mynd is that maist fowk that kens better disna uise the apologetic apostrophe onymair

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Pages_that_wis_written_by_a_body_that's_mither_tongue_isna_Scots

gently caress yes:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/sco/e/e5/ScotlandSCO.ogg
somebody who certainly isn't a true scotsman who can't speak worth a gently caress reading the Scotland article!

also here's a word-for-word spoken version of the GFDL, it's terrible. like really bad
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/GFDL_%28English%29.ogg

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
it's nice to see the demoman from tf2 has a side hobby of editing wikipedia pages

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

its cute the way the scotch make out like that's a real language so they can pretend to have a culture that doesn't involve heroin and deep-frying

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

quote:

I am a fairly advanced end-user running WinXP Pro SP3 on a six-year old fairly powerful quite standard Win PC. A new ATI video card required .NET 2.0 for it's "Catalyst" drivers so I tried it. Next I was bedeviled by error messages that were indecipherable (it had made at least 100 registry entries). So not knowing what to do, I uninstalled both .NET 2.0 and the ATI catalyst drivers.

Someone who thinks they are a writer posted:

My Firefox browser informed me today that Microsoft had installed an add-on to the browser I am using. I did not ask for it. But is that not the usual modus operandi of this rapacious company? I am not a techie, a programmer, or any other sort of computer geek. However, I am a writer, and quite a good one. In my occupation I take complex situations or topics and make them readable and understandable. Now here I was, labouring under the received wisdom that Wikipedia could possibly provide me with a clear and understandable article about the .NET Framework, specifically why I, as a layman with no interest in programming, should require it to take up so much space, so surreptitiously, on my computer. What I read is opaque, nearly impenetrable jargon that - in those sections that are understandable to a non-programmer - sounds like an angel chorus singing its praises.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sweevo posted:

its cute the way the scotch make out like that's a real language so they can pretend to have a culture that doesn't involve heroin and deep-frying

yeah but have you tried the fried heroin? it's fabulous

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
but i thought joan of arc was french?

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

Warding off both trees and boners since 1984

Someone who thinks they are a writer posted:

My Firefox browser informed me today that Microsoft had installed an add-on to the browser I am using. I did not ask for it. But is that not the usual modus operandi of this rapacious company? I am not a techie, a programmer, or any other sort of computer geek. However, I am a writer, and quite a good one. In my occupation I take complex situations or topics and make them readable and understandable. Now here I was, labouring under the received wisdom that Wikipedia could possibly provide me with a clear and understandable article about the .NET Framework, specifically why I, as a layman with no interest in programming, should require it to take up so much space, so surreptitiously, on my computer. What I read is opaque, nearly impenetrable jargon that - in those sections that are understandable to a non-programmer - sounds like an angel chorus singing its praises.

quote:

Now here I was, labouring under the received wisdom that Wikipedia could possibly provide me with a clear and understandable article about the .NET Framework, specifically why I, as a layman with no interest in programming, should require it to take up so much space, so surreptitiously, on my computer.

Look at this sentence. A writer wrote this sentence.

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

I don't think he knows what commas are actually for.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
idk man, the commas look appropriate to me. the only thing that seems wrong about the sentence is the "specifically why I" (specifically why i what?)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hammerite posted:

idk man, the commas look appropriate to me. the only thing that seems wrong about the sentence is the "specifically why I" (specifically why i what?)

specifically, "why i oughta..."

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

Hammerite posted:

It's appropriate right up until about three commas in, at which point it becomes really loving excessive. There are six commas in what could easily be expressed more clearly in two or three sentences.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Hammerite posted:

my brain keeps bailing on parsing it around "labouring under the received wisdom that Wikipedia could possibly provide me with a clear and understandable article about the .NET Framework"

it's missing a word or has an extra or idk

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

my brain keeps bailing on parsing it around "labouring under the received wisdom that Wikipedia could possibly provide me with a clear and understandable article about the .NET Framework"

it's missing a word or has an extra or idk

Purple prose is a term of literary criticism used to describe passages, or sometimes entire literary works, written in prose so overly extravagant, ornate, or flowery as to break the flow and draw attention to itself. Purple prose is sensually evocative beyond the requirements of its context. It also refers to writing that employs certain rhetorical effects such as exaggerated sentiment or pathos in an attempt to manipulate a reader's response.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Sweevo posted:

no you see the spelling "mynd" somehow reflects things about scotch pronunciation that "mind" does not

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

the things
you say
your purple prose just gives you away
the things
you say

you're unbelievable

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Eegah posted:

the things
you say
the things
you say

you're unbelievable

heh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eegah posted:

the things
you say
the things
you say

you're unbelievable

Whoa

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

Nevergirls posted:

I have a friend who literally still goes to their meetings.

i remember that the meetings near me printed in the back and said to be "at the mall in the food court by the big clock"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

oh i didnt know there was a term for that, tyvm

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eegah posted:

the things
you say
the things
you say

you're unbelievable

a record executive swam across a lake naked at 3 AM to sign that lovely band

:pwn:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sweevo posted:

and making GBS threads in the world's worst toilets

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

and making GBS threads in the world's worst toilets

whats up with the toilets

are they worse then the german poopshelf ones or what

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Barack Pwnbama posted:

whats up with the toilets

are they worse then the german poopshelf ones or what

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh i see a man bites ur balls when ur shittin

i havent seen trainspottin yet

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Barack Pwnbama posted:

oh i see a man bites ur balls when ur shittin

its me

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

TOOT BOOT posted:

its me

ur gross

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Barack Pwnbama posted:

i havent seen trainspottin yet

the book is great and after reading it you'll be nearly ready to read sco.wikipedia.org and understand it

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Nevergirls posted:

the book is great and after reading it you'll be nearly ready to read sco.wikipedia.org and understand it

i read filth and must have been two hundred pages into it before i finally figured out what fitbah was

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

DaTroof posted:

i read filth and must have been two hundred pages into it before i finally figured out what fitbah was

http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitba

also lol

http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#OUTRAGED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
A'v ne'er unnerstuid ootrage aboot Scots projects like this Wikipedia. Thinkin the hail thing's stupit an a waste o time is ae thing, A'll no begrudge fowk an opeenion aboot thon, but actively wastin emotional energy on gettin angry aboot it? Dinna see why a body'd fash thairsels aboot that tae be honest. (A unnerstaund oor contreebutor abuin thinks he's bein satirical but A'v seen ither fowk get angry aboot Scots afore.) Mendor 17:11, 26 November 2007 (UTC)

People get angry. Mendor, because they are threatened by it. BryanAJParry