Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lord Commissar posted:

EDIT: Woah, what? 3mm gaming? http://picoarmor.com/pages/home.php

Yup, it used to be a tiny tiny sub-genre of modern warfare, as you can cram in a ton of tanks. Now there's ACW also, and one or two terrain companies make terrain as well. I think they look far better than 2mm miniatures, which looks like tiny bumps on a base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
If I was doing Blitzrkieg and Cold War Commander all over from scratch I would go 3mm for sure. That way instead of having 1 10mm or 6mm vehicle on a base to represent a platoon/squad of tanks etc, you could actually have 3 or 4 tiny tanks and make it look just right.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
The start of my 6mm project for Hail Caesar

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think it's safe to say that's a good start. Gonna look awesome when you put the whole army on the table.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

That's some very nice looking romans. What are the base sizes?

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
40x20 and 20x20.

Each unit is 2 40x20mm bases and 2 20x20mm bases, that way its still useable for Warmaster and should give me enough fleixbility for Hail Caesar from what I have read so far.

EDIT- welp, just ordered another 7 units of legionaries, 3 auxillaries, some archers and bolt throwers. Should have enough to do about 4-5 brigades for Hail Caesar. (already have a bag full from a couple of years ago, so this is adding to that)

Looking at 3 brigades comprising 4 legionary units, bolt throwers and auxillary light cavalry (not got these might use celts or numidians), then a couple of brigades with 3 units of auxillary infantry, aux archersand aux cav. Should be about right.

Jinjin Bemar fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 8, 2011

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Bwahahaha

Malus
Nov 17, 2006

The dicks ain't biting
Is that scope on Not Naomi Watts's gun on backwards?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No, it's a normal pistol-style scope, although why you'd put one on a revolver like that, I dunno.

I just thought it was funny they picked someone who obviously needs more naps as their model.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I made some new products for my 6mm samurai range: a gate for a temple or castle complex, and some smaller village houses.

http://www.muraminiatures.com/products/6mm/

I'm also no longer allowed to post on Warseer because I'm not allowed to post my own stuff in their forums if I'm not paying for it because that is unpaid advertisement and makes the paying advertisers angry. No, really.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

lilljonas posted:

I made some new products for my 6mm samurai range: a gate for a temple or castle complex, and some smaller village houses.

http://www.muraminiatures.com/products/6mm/

I'm also no longer allowed to post on Warseer because I'm not allowed to post my own stuff in their forums if I'm not paying for it because that is unpaid advertisement and makes the paying advertisers angry. No, really.

What? There are other people who post their terrain WIPs and sell the kits afterwards. Are they paying advertisers or what? Smells like bullshit to me. ):

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So, I started painting up my Dystopian Wars FSA Navy (pictures eventually) - and I decided I really, really hate the bomber models. For reference, here's what they look like.

I've been looking for an alternative, as apparently Dystopian Wars is in 1/1200 scale (supposedly) - the bombers appear to be modeled at 1/600. I've been looking for something that resembles a B-29, but haven't had any luck. I've scoured N-Scale Train Modeling companies, sites that make 1/600 scale airplanes (only commercial, oddly enough) and just haven't found what I'm looking for.

Before I give up and go poke around at toy stores like the manchild that I am, I was curious if anyone had any leads on something like this? Outside of the incredibly expensive Micro Machines option (50 loving dollars for a set, of which I'd use one plane, and then another 50 dollars for the second set, etc http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Machines-MIlitary-World-Classics/dp/B001X2CAZC/ref=sr_1_23?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1299779944&sr=1-23 ) - I really don't know where else to look.

Thoughts?

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So, I started painting up my Dystopian Wars FSA Navy (pictures eventually) - and I decided I really, really hate the bomber models. For reference, here's what they look like.

I've been looking for an alternative, as apparently Dystopian Wars is in 1/1200 scale (supposedly) - the bombers appear to be modeled at 1/600. I've been looking for something that resembles a B-29, but haven't had any luck. I've scoured N-Scale Train Modeling companies, sites that make 1/600 scale airplanes (only commercial, oddly enough) and just haven't found what I'm looking for.

Before I give up and go poke around at toy stores like the manchild that I am, I was curious if anyone had any leads on something like this? Outside of the incredibly expensive Micro Machines option (50 loving dollars for a set, of which I'd use one plane, and then another 50 dollars for the second set, etc http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Machines-MIlitary-World-Classics/dp/B001X2CAZC/ref=sr_1_23?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1299779944&sr=1-23 ) - I really don't know where else to look.

Thoughts?

Yes

http://picoarmor.com/pages/product_details.php?pid=1083

;p

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Wow, thank you! Their decals are excellent too!

edit: Welp, I'm totally buying those decals, but I found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Axis-and-Allies-Europe-Pacific-1940-USA-Pieces-Parts-/230594388221?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b07f20fd and it's just about perfect, so I pulled the trigger.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 10, 2011

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Who wants to run some HJ!?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kind of do want to now.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Flames of War first thoughts.

In the Early War period, the two StuGs you get in the Open Fire box are 1/3 of the way to a 1500 point German army...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sadly the StuG Ausf G with Schurzen weren't available in the early-war period. It was late 1942 by the time they turned up.

The differences are enough that any grognards (like me) will spot it instantly.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Sadly the StuG Ausf G with Schurzen weren't available in the early-war period. It was late 1942 by the time they turned up.

The differences are enough that any grognards (like me) will spot it instantly.

I think I can model up a couple of the shorter barrels for Ausf A's and escape detection.
Edit: hm... I guess those track guards are as much of a giveaway.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 11, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The schurzen and taller superstructure will give it away, they really are very different vehicles: Ausf A and Ausf G.

If it doesn't bother you then go for it, but be prepared to have the smackdown prepared for that one guy.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Yeah to be honest the main reason I thought of that is because I want an opfor for some Polish mechanized and don't want to spend a lot of money.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's fair, it's not all that much fun to spend a bucketload on an army you'll only use a few times. TBH though, StuGs are a bit too late-war for that, I don't think they existed until a year after the Polish campaign. They're also god-machines in early war, with impressive armour and firepower.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Can someone summarize how FoW combat/weapons/support platoons work exactly (or tell me where in the mini-rulebook I should be looking)?

I know you always need the barebones combat platoons in the chart, but the rules distinctions seem to be hiding from me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's all made clear in the individual army lists, there's no hard and fast rule for what fits into what section. Tanks are normally support in an Infantry Company, Combat in a Tank Company etc. Look through any one of these and it should become clear.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 12, 2011

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

It's all made clear in the individual army lists, there's no hard and fast rule for what fits into what section. Tanks are normally support in an Infantry Company, Combat in a Tank Company etc. Look through any one of these and it should become clear.

Well yeah I know it's shown in the charts what type of platoon are in what category, I'm just trying to figure out what that actually means in terms of being able to take them in a list. For example, the Polish mech cav list has its standard infantry platoons both as Combat platoons and Weapons platoons (in different quantities)- same for tankette squads, anti-tank gun platoons, etc.

Is there any rules effect for Combat vs Weapons vs Support platoons? Am I restricted in the ratio of platoon types I can take somewhere that I'm not seeing?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Oldest Man posted:

Well yeah I know it's shown in the charts what type of platoon are in what category, I'm just trying to figure out what that actually means in terms of being able to take them in a list. For example, the Polish mech cav list has its standard infantry platoons both as Combat platoons and Weapons platoons (in different quantities)- same for tankette squads, anti-tank gun platoons, etc.

Is there any rules effect for Combat vs Weapons vs Support platoons? Am I restricted in the ratio of platoon types I can take somewhere that I'm not seeing?
You're not looking in the right place. Download this. Go to the second page. Look at the chart. The unit can take the platoon types and numbers listed there, at a ratio of one listed option per slot on the chart. Theoretically you could just make a giant list of units, and if any chart tells you that you can take that unit in a slot then you can take that unit to fill that slot.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

You're not looking in the right place. Download this. Go to the second page. Look at the chart. The unit can take the platoon types and numbers listed there, at a ratio of one listed option per slot on the chart. Theoretically you could just make a giant list of units, and if any chart tells you that you can take that unit in a slot then you can take that unit to fill that slot.

Yes I understand that, what I'm asking is what is the actual difference between, say, a Piechoty Company taken as a Weapons platoon vs one taken as a Combat platoon vs one taken as a Support platoon? Is there one?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

Yes I understand that, what I'm asking is what is the actual difference between, say, a Piechoty Company taken as a Weapons platoon vs one taken as a Combat platoon vs one taken as a Support platoon? Is there one?

Sometimes there is, be it points or specific options. Sometimes there isn't.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Can someone summarize how FoW combat/weapons/support platoons work exactly (or tell me where in the mini-rulebook I should be looking)?

I know you always need the barebones combat platoons in the chart, but the rules distinctions seem to be hiding from me.

The game mechanic that makes the most use of the distinction between combat platoons and weapons platoons is the German's Kampfgruppe national characteristic. Squads or sections from combat platoons and weapons platoons can be peeled off from their parent units and added to the kampfgruppe. Support platoons can't do the same for some reason.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
I think that's just a balance thing to prevent you being a dick and mixing tank and PanzerGrenadier units to mess with people. In practice a Kampfgruppe was literally just "you guys, stop fleeing and follow me".

The Oldest Man posted:

In practice a Combat or Weapons platoon will represent an organic platoon of a company. A Support platoon will represent either a floating Divisional unit (such as an AT platoon or artillery battery) or a Combat or Weapons platoon from another company of the same type. If you have the choice to take the same thing as a Combat or Weapons platoon then the only difference will be the slot it occupies, if you take it as a Support platoon it may have different equipment options, different special rules and different skill and motivation ratings, with obviously different poitns costs. If you can do it that way it will be listed on the chart and will have Divisional or Regimental insignia beside the unit's name on the relevant slot.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I will be passing on this (for now), but I know a lot of you ancients players are looking forward to Hail Caesar.

It's now available for pre-order.

If When one of you gets it, if you want to make a nice write up about it, I'll add it to the OP.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Lord Commissar posted:

I will be passing on this (for now), but I know a lot of you ancients players are looking forward to Hail Caesar.

It's now available for pre-order.

If When one of you gets it, if you want to make a nice write up about it, I'll add it to the OP.

Pre ordered it already.
Frantically painting a Roman army for it too!

Will defintily do you a write up.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

So when putting together a FoW army what is the milestone to aim for, points-wise?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The Oldest Man posted:

So when putting together a FoW army what is the milestone to aim for, points-wise?

1500-2000, depending on what the locals in your area tend to play. The scale is very similar to 40k/Fantasy if you've ever played that, but for your infantry platoons you're buying stands instead of individual guys.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
So I'm kinda being tempted by FoW, looks like exactly my kind of historical game. I'm really not sure who I want to play though, everyone seems to have so many cool options.

I'm a bit tempted to avoid being haunted by my Grandpa and play Romania, how do they play out since they're, from what I read, a kind of fringe 'oh why not throw these guys in too' type army?

The other temptation is France, France is pretty neat.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

shotgunbadger posted:

So I'm kinda being tempted by FoW, looks like exactly my kind of historical game. I'm really not sure who I want to play though, everyone seems to have so many cool options.

I'm a bit tempted to avoid being haunted by my Grandpa and play Romania, how do they play out since they're, from what I read, a kind of fringe 'oh why not throw these guys in too' type army?

The other temptation is France, France is pretty neat.

Well, first thing's first: do you want to play early, mid, or late war? Because the options, and points costs are quite different between them.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Oh yea, that's a good question isn't it. Honestly this is where being a history nerd kills me because my ideal answer is 'all three, and every faction' but I suppose Early War is the most interesting period to me.

Of course with Early War I'll most likely say gently caress it and get some English or Afrika Korps because desert fox all in this bitch.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

shotgunbadger posted:

Oh yea, that's a good question isn't it. Honestly this is where being a history nerd kills me because my ideal answer is 'all three, and every faction' but I suppose Early War is the most interesting period to me.

Of course with Early War I'll most likely say gently caress it and get some English or Afrika Korps because desert fox all in this bitch.

That's mid war.

Also, here's kind of what I'm looking at doing (roughly based on some stuff the 1st Uhlan did):

pre:
Regiment HQ				45

Mounted Company				
-3 platoons				440

Mounted Company
-1 platoon				180

Kawalerii HMG company
-1 Taczanka platoon			160

Armored Train
-2 heavy artillery cars		        535

Kawalerii AT Gun Platoon
-3 37mm					120
-mounted				5

+Add assault car			+160

-Lose one 37mm				-35

+Recon Tank Platoon
 5 TKS					+100
 1 20mm					+5
 Roman Orlik				+35

Kind of meets my checklist for Poland:

Bunch of rad fearless vets on horses [ ]
Train [ ]

Thoughts?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Haha I'm retarded, yes it is. I totally meant mid war, it's mid war that I think would be most fun.

Also I know nothing of lists and all but any list with that train as a centerpiece is best list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Are Late War games interesting or is it just German players smugly placing a trio of Tiger IIs?

I think I totally want to do a mid-war invasion of Crete style German paratrooper army, any suggestions?