Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
We are going with railpasses we've decided! I don't mind walking places because I agree about getting to see a more local side of the places we go to. Right now we are looking at hostels and getting our hostel cards. As for England, I will be there this November for 2 weeks so that should be fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

GLITTER AND GREASE posted:

We are going with railpasses we've decided! I don't mind walking places because I agree about getting to see a more local side of the places we go to. Right now we are looking at hostels and getting our hostel cards. As for England, I will be there this November for 2 weeks so that should be fun too.

Don't waste your money on hostel cards. Just use https://www.hostelworld.com

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
I will be traveling to Paris for May and June, and I am interested in taking French classes while I'm there. I've taken French before (9 years of it in grade/high school) but because I didn't give two poops while I was in high school, I'm still not fluent.

I wanted to take two to three weeks that are intense and immersive, and I come out with the ability to speak semi-fluently. I would like to focus on speaking rather than reading or writing.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which course to take? It feels like there are a million of them!

A few I have identified are Alliance Francaise, Accord Ecole de Langues Paris, and Ecole France Langue. Any thoughts on these?

anTK
Nov 16, 2005
custom

GLITTER AND GREASE posted:

My younger sister and I are planning a Europe trip to take in May 2012 to celebrate graduation and marriage and other sisterly bonding things. So far we've hashed out that we can both easily set aside 4 weeks of time to do this and so far we've decided that France, Italy and Greece are our must sees. I am asking you, good Goons, if there are any other must sees you'd suggest for us. Money isn't a huge issue for us and we are interested in seeing the historical side of things. Is it possible in our time frame to add another stop along the way?

What are you planning to see exactly in greece ? As said before, 2 days for Athens is enough, except if you know people there. As for the greek islands, they're incredible, but traveling there takes A LOT of time, especially if you use the ferries and want to stay away from the touristy spots. Reaching any island with a ferry usually takes a whole day, and then you have to go back to athens. Not to mention the frequent delays and cancellations in the ferry schedules. If you plan to see Crete, why not fly directly there ? Everything can be done by road there so it's less time consuming and equally beautiful.

I short, if the islands are on your roadmap, spare at least one week just for this (not counting Athens). Otherwise i would advise that you take more time for the rest, really france and italy have a lot to offer (i'm from paris btw). And you don't even have to limit yourself to the big cities, the railroad system in france is good (and probably as good in italy) and you can easily reach smaller towns with local trains.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
I have a trip planned for April and I would love some advice on a few of the locations we are planning to visit. My wife and I are flying into Frankfurt and spending two days to get acclimated. Then we are visiting a friend in Luxembourg and traveling with him to visit a friend in Dresden. After Dresden we are going to take trains to Prauge and a city in Poland most likely Wroclaw. From there we are flying to London, visiting Bath and then home.

I wanted some advice on Poland. We are looking at Wroclaw because we hear it is more of a Polish city than an international city like Warsaw or Krakow. I was hoping to get some advice from anyone who lives in the area or has visited on things to see that wouldn't be in the Rick Steves book or the wikitravel article.

My interests are architecture, local foods and beer. As I said we would be on foot but I would love to rent a bike to get out of town a little ways.

ThePhreak
Aug 17, 2004

Can you feel that...That thang that's beatin' in your doggone chest like that...Can you feel that?!?!
I'm going to Paris in June for 11 days with my girlfriend. I've been looking at hostels (private ensuite) and they seem to be more expensive than some hotels. While looking into all of this I've found a lot of people suggesting renting an apartment out. Does anyone have experience doing this or know of any legit sites? Waytostay.com keeps popping up but I'd like some info if anyone has it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

ThePhreak posted:

I'm going to Paris in June for 11 days with my girlfriend. I've been looking at hostels (private ensuite) and they seem to be more expensive than some hotels. While looking into all of this I've found a lot of people suggesting renting an apartment out. Does anyone have experience doing this or know of any legit sites? Waytostay.com keeps popping up but I'd like some info if anyone has it.

I've personally used vrbo.com and airbnb.com with success (Edit: I have used these in Paris in particular as well). Email 10-20 people, half of them will reply, and then you can choose your apartment (or bargain if you're into that kind of thing, I guess). I know scams exist on all of those types of sites, but I don't think it's any more pervasive than on, say, eBay.

I'm partial to apartments vs. hotels/hostels because then we can have some combination of breakfast/lunch/dinner in the apartment with groceries instead of having to spend crazy amounts of money going out every night.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 14, 2011

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ThePhreak posted:

I can't remember what site we used to find our place in Paris but my wife and I have gotten apartments there, Amsterdam, Krakow and Barcelona without problems. They're great for (as Saladman said) saving money on breakfast and dinner and it's so nice to be able to get coffee and breakfast without having to look at a bunch of other hotel guests. Best way to go by far.

Colorblind Pilot posted:

I will be traveling to Paris for May and June, and I am interested in taking French classes while I'm there. I've taken French before (9 years of it in grade/high school) but because I didn't give two poops while I was in high school, I'm still not fluent.

I wanted to take two to three weeks that are intense and immersive, and I come out with the ability to speak semi-fluently. I would like to focus on speaking rather than reading or writing.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which course to take? It feels like there are a million of them!

A few I have identified are Alliance Francaise, Accord Ecole de Langues Paris, and Ecole France Langue. Any thoughts on these?

Again, I can't exactly answer your question but be careful not to expect too much from a 2-3 week course. In the best circumstsances, a teacher is responsible for about 50% of your learning. You have to do the hard work and that comes outside of the classroom. If you just go to class in the mornings (or even mornings and afternoons) but then you hang out with your friends and speak English the rest of the time you won't learn a thing. Do yourself a favour and do a good revision before you go over. You'll get a test when you arrive and you want to rock it so you get into the most advanced class possible. You don't want to waste the first week in an easy class because you forgot how to make the negative passé composé of reflexive verbs.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: doublepost

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 13, 2017

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

GregNorc posted:

Is it worth it for a 2 week trip, or should I just suck it up and use FB/aim on my iphone at wifi hotspots to coordinate stuff?

Also someone mentioned renting apartments... is that just long(ish) term? Or can you get like, a week somewhere?

You don't need a phone. Just use Skype over WiFi if you really need something. Or you can jailbreak and unlock your iPhone and just use an European SIM card.

You can rent apartments for a week. I've seen stuff as little as 3 days. Try AirBnB.com for shorter term stuff.

brother penguin
Mar 2, 2004

and I'm his friend Jesus!
I'm going back to Norway in May to help my brother build his new house. Only staying there for a month though, as I've been to Norway the last three times I've gone to Europe and this time I feel like branching out a bit.
So, I was thinking about taking the last three weeks of my seven-week trip to go elsewhere in Europe! The problem is, I don't really have a clue where to go, how to get there, how much to expect to spend, etc. I'm a loving retard, I guess is what I'm getting at...
Have tried looking around for different festivals and whatnot by country and date, but haven't really found anything good... so... Sell me!
Tell me why I should come to your country! (that came out sounding a bit too 'american arrogance'...)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Help us out, brother... how old are you, where are you from, do you prefer city or countryside activities, beaches or mountains, etc.

GregNorc posted:

Is it worth it for a 2 week trip, or should I just suck it up and use FB/aim on my iphone at wifi hotspots to coordinate stuff?

Also someone mentioned renting apartments... is that just long(ish) term? Or can you get like, a week somewhere?

I think you wanted to visit more than one country and in that case you'll need a new SIM in each so it's probably not worth the hassle. You'll still be able to use the phone and send SMSs in an emergency.

You'll have to look around at apartments but I've stayed in some for as little as a weekend.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

brother penguin posted:

So, I was thinking about taking the last three weeks of my seven-week trip to go elsewhere in Europe! The problem is, I don't really have a clue where to go, how to get there, how much to expect to spend, etc. I'm a loving retard, I guess is what I'm getting at...
Have tried looking around for different festivals and whatnot by country and date, but haven't really found anything good... so... Sell me!
Tell me why I should come to your country! (that came out sounding a bit too 'american arrogance'...)

The Balkans. The answer is always the Balkans. 3 weeks is enough time to go from Slovenia to Istanbul (my recommended itinerary: Ljubljana -> Zadar -> Split -> Dubrovnik? -> Mostar -> Sarajevo -> Belgrade -> Sofia -> Thessaloniki -> Istanbul). You could always start in Istanbul too. (recommended itinerary: Istanbul -> Thessaloniki -> Sofia -> Skopje -> Ohrid -> Tirana -> Kotor -> Dubrovnik -> Mostar -> Sarajevo -> Zagreb -> Zadar, because you can fly RyanAir cheaply to Dublin and it's pretty cheap to fly from Dublin to the US)

It won't be as expensive as three weeks in Western Europe, and you'll get to see tons of different countries with a lot of history and interesting stuff, just as the weather starts to get really nice.

greazeball posted:

I think you wanted to visit more than one country and in that case you'll need a new SIM in each so it's probably not worth the hassle. You'll still be able to use the phone and send SMSs in an emergency.

You don't need a new SIM. At least, assuming you buy a card from a Europe-wide carrier like Vodafone or T-Mobile. Never had a problem with my O2 SIM in any country, either. Even my current mTel (Bulgarian) phone can at least text if not call anywhere I am in Europe because the company is owned by Vodafone. In fact, for some odd reason, texting UK phones while in the UK from my Bulgarian phone cost less than texting Bulgarian phones while in Bulgaria. I don't know.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

You don't need a new SIM. At least, assuming you buy a card from a Europe-wide carrier like Vodafone or T-Mobile. Never had a problem with my O2 SIM in any country, either. Even my current mTel (Bulgarian) phone can at least text if not call anywhere I am in Europe because the company is owned by Vodafone. In fact, for some odd reason, texting UK phones while in the UK from my Bulgarian phone cost less than texting Bulgarian phones while in Bulgaria. I don't know.

But you might not be able to add prepaid credits to it outside of Bulgaria. This could be a problem.

If they guy who originally posed the question is willing to jailbreak his iphone and remove the simlock, he can just buy a new simcard when the credits on his old one are gone and he's already in another country. I'd agree though that a lot can be done over wifi, even if it's not as easy to find open networks as it is in the US. But I think most hostels have wifi nowadays and a lot of cafés offer it to their customers as well.

brother penguin
Mar 2, 2004

and I'm his friend Jesus!

greazeball posted:

Help us out, brother... how old are you, where are you from, do you prefer city or countryside activities, beaches or mountains, etc.

Sorry for the lack of info. I'm 26, single, from Iowa. I don't really have a preference for city/countryside. I'm leaning toward city though, as I'll be getting my fair share of naturey poo poo done while in Norway. Not real big on beaches because I'm your typical fatass midwestern guy

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
There is no point in carrying around a phone with you when you're on vacation in another country. Are you really that important that people need a direct line of access to you at all hours of the day? Do you really need to be calling your mother/father/brother/friend/bro/girlfriend/coworker/boss/professor more than a few times during the trip (once to say you've arrived, the other to say you're going to the airport to fly out)?

Just bring your iPhone and hope that your hostels have wifi. If you've gotta talk to people back home, use Skype. Otherwise just email/Facebook/IM whoever you need to let know you're safe or whatever and then leave the story telling for when you get home.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm an American. If I visit Europe with no planned departure date and just travel around however long I feel like, is there some point where they will look at my passport and tell me I've been there too long? Or can I stay as long as I like?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ziir posted:

Are you really that important that people need a direct line of access to you at all hours of the day?

It's not for people you're talking to back home--it's for people you're talking to when you're on vacation with them in Europe so that you don't have to stick to their hip all the time.

E: from VVVVVV Yeah, just use SMS and keep your US number, it's going to be the same price (or even cheaper, when you consider that you will just "waste" unused credit at the end of the trip) than getting a European SIM. Unless you have a Verizon iPhone, in which case you're SOL. Make sure you have data turned off, and leave your phone on airplane mode most of the time.

blue squares posted:

I'm an American. If I visit Europe with no planned departure date and just travel around however long I feel like, is there some point where they will look at my passport and tell me I've been there too long? Or can I stay as long as I like?

You have 90 days. They might look at border crossings by land (but probably not if you're travelling between Schengen states). If you try to catch a plane out of a Schengen state after 90 days though, you'd need a good story, or else you get kicked out of Schengen Zone for 5 years or (and?) have to pay like a €500 fine for having overstayed.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 15, 2011

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I thought he wanted a data plan but reading back I guess not. Really, GregNorc for two weeks just figure out how much the text message charges are going to be and don't use anything but them until you get on a wifi connection and then you can skype and all the rest. It'll cost a bit but you can save yourself some hassle and it wont really be all that much.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

EricBauman posted:

If they guy who originally posed the question is willing to jailbreak his iphone and remove the simlock, he can just buy a new simcard when the credits on his old one are gone and he's already in another country.

Do iPhones really have all the right antennas or whatever to actually get reception in Europe? I know they use different frequencies than in the US.

I'm going to be spending a long time in Europe soon, and I figured I'd have to buy a cheapo unlocked phone while I was there and just do the whole SIM-swapping thing whenever I crossed a border.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The EU has mandated really cheap roaming rates between member states so you shouldn't have to change SIMs at every border (unless you need a data plan). I assume you can jailbreak your iPhone and just get a SIM wherever you're based. You're hosed if you go to Switzerland though, they're not part of the EU so their mobile providers are still free to gouge everyone they come in contact with.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Magic Underwear posted:

Do iPhones really have all the right antennas or whatever to actually get reception in Europe? I know they use different frequencies than in the US.

I'm going to be spending a long time in Europe soon, and I figured I'd have to buy a cheapo unlocked phone while I was there and just do the whole SIM-swapping thing whenever I crossed a border.

Only T-Mobile uses a weird different GSM frequency, so yes iPhones absolutely work in Europe. The Verizon iPhones don't because well, they're not GSM.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Ziir posted:

Only T-Mobile uses a weird different GSM frequency, so yes iPhones absolutely work in Europe. The Verizon iPhones don't because well, they're not GSM.

That's really good to know, this will simplify things a lot.

greazeball posted:

The EU has mandated really cheap roaming rates between member states so you shouldn't have to change SIMs at every border (unless you need a data plan). I assume you can jailbreak your iPhone and just get a SIM wherever you're based. You're hosed if you go to Switzerland though, they're not part of the EU so their mobile providers are still free to gouge everyone they come in contact with.

I think I have to dispute your idea of "really cheap" roaming rates. According to this site, just the roaming charge for pre-paid voice is about half a euro per minute. That's a hell of a lot of money. Texts are 13 euro cents, so that's better, but still.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Magic Underwear posted:

I think I have to dispute your idea of "really cheap" roaming rates. According to this site, just the roaming charge for pre-paid voice is about half a euro per minute. That's a hell of a lot of money. Texts are 13 euro cents, so that's better, but still.

5 years ago it was almost €2 a minute so while you still may not consider it to be really cheap, it used to be unpayable. In my case it's still almost 2 francs a minute (€1.50, down from 3 francs a year ago) for me to use the phone when I'm out of Switzerland and 15.90 (more than €12) per MB of data (for real) so I guess we have a different perspective.

aTm Aggies
Mar 12, 2011

Ziir posted:

Yes. iPhones work but as the posters above mention - the roaming rates aren't cheap. You can call AT&T (assuming that's your carrier) and get an international plan added for the month which drops the per minute price quite a bit. It's nice for that piece of mind.

The other alternative is using Skype but I found that some internet providers in Europe 'block' Skype due to bandwidth. It was hit or miss. Most of the hotels I stayed in blocked Skype - but the wifi spots didn't (except T-Mobile they seemed to always block Skype).

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

gankzer posted:

Yes. iPhones work but as the posters above mention - the roaming rates aren't cheap. You can call AT&T (assuming that's your carrier) and get an international plan added for the month which drops the per minute price quite a bit. It's nice for that piece of mind.

I believe that the international plan is $5.99/month (can be pro-rated). And it drops most calls from $1.29/minute to $0.99/minute.

gankzer posted:

The other alternative is using Skype but I found that some internet providers in Europe 'block' Skype due to bandwidth. It was hit or miss. Most of the hotels I stayed in blocked Skype - but the wifi spots didn't (except T-Mobile they seemed to always block Skype).

Another option is to setup a google voice account and install the official google voice app which allows you to receive text messages for free via wifi. Also, if you install talkatone, you can use your phone to make VOIP calls from your google voice number. This is what I did when I was in Europe for a few weeks just recently and I had no problems with the service being blocked.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

enki42 posted:

Some other random Berlin areas to check out for a tourist:

1. Oranienburger strasse is a pretty decent place to wander around and find a couple of cool bars or shops - it's considered a little touristy, but there's a good number of interesting little places. Tacheles is an interesting place to stop by for a drink - it's completely covered in graffiti, with some artists shops in the building, and a few different bars. Very berlinish.

2. If you're there on a Sunday, absolutely check out one of the many flea markets in the city, and find a good brunch place afterwards. Brunch on Sundays in berlin usually consists of ridiculously nice buffets. For a first time, I'd go to Mauerpark on a Sunday and either find a random restaurant serving brunch (it's in Prenzlauer Berg, so there's millions of places) or check out a place just across from the Mauerpark called kauf dich glücklich (rough translation: buy yourself happiness).
Just got back on Sunday night from Berlin and had a great weekend, to thank so much! Tascheles was AMAZING, and on Sunday we were pretty hungover from being out the night before [for the record Monsieur Vuong was a great place to eat, not sure if anyone here recommended by my colleague did and it owned] so instead of heading to Mauerpark for the market we went to Boxhagnerplatz Market near our hotel which was still cool, but also nice and close to where our bags are and this great cafe called Spielewiese Ludothek where I played board games for three hours with my boyfriend which is a perfect hangover day thing to do really. Thanks again to everyone who suggested stuff!

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Boxhagnerplatz is definitely number two on my list of cool sunday flea markets. Did you get brunch? There's an awesome place near there called Intimes.

And yeah, Spielewiese is one of my favorite places in Berlin, I can't believe I forgot to mention it. Glad you had a good time!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
We didn't really manage brunch because we had a huge free buffet full of cheese and bread and spicy salami and all that good stuff in the hotel, and also we had to go back to bed after breakfast until noon checkout on account of being out on the town the night before, but it would have been a good idea probably!

Instead after the market we had this mad cake about an hour later that was made of I'd say 90% gelatine. Seriously, it was crazy wobbly wtf .
(:negative: Waffleimages is gone?!?!?!)

I'd also add the Fat Tire Bike Tour I did I'd highly recommend, great way to get around and see the city .

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

EricBauman posted:

But you might not be able to add prepaid credits to it outside of Bulgaria. This could be a problem.

Even with Bulgarian phones I can add prepaid credit online. With O2 or Vodafone or any other major carrier I can't imagine this being a problem, especially if he'll only be in western Europe where most of these carriers have brick and mortar stores anyways.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Gonna be in Barcelona for just over 2 weeks at the end of March. Aside from the Ramlas and Gaudi things, what should I try and check out?

Also, I'm going to be staying mostly in hostels, does anyone have any recommendations? Considering Graffiti hostel because it's cheap.

I like cycling, but looking at the price of bike hire in the city, I think I'm going to buy a cheap second hand bike from https://www.loquo.com (Barcelona's equivilent of gumtree/craigslist) as it'd work out cheaper than 2 weeks of bike hire. Then maybe try and sell it on to someone at the hostel to try and recoup some of my money back. Good idea, or no?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

DreddyMatt posted:

I like cycling, but looking at the price of bike hire in the city, I think I'm going to buy a cheap second hand bike from https://www.loquo.com (Barcelona's equivilent of gumtree/craigslist) as it'd work out cheaper than 2 weeks of bike hire. Then maybe try and sell it on to someone at the hostel to try and recoup some of my money back. Good idea, or no?

If you know anything about bikes, you're not picky about what you ride and you bring your own lock it sound like a great idea. It's really not that big and every neighbourhood is worth checking out. The wife and I were almost trampled by a parade of people shooting off fireworks as we were just wandering and turned a corner. They went to a square and made a rectangle of fire and played football with a metal cage filled with burning t-shirts. Barca owns for getting lost and finding random poo poo. A bike would be ideal for that.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

DreddyMatt posted:

Gonna be in Barcelona for just over 2 weeks at the end of March. Aside from the Ramlas and Gaudi things, what should I try and check out?

Also, I'm going to be staying mostly in hostels, does anyone have any recommendations? Considering Graffiti hostel because it's cheap.

Graffiti hostel changed owners in the last few months and i have been told it is not cleaned very well anymore and has questionable security, there recent reviews are not very good, however it is cheap so if thats your main priority then yeah its ok. Id be tempted to go for one in the center. I recommend either Barcelona Mar or Sound. Although they might be a bit expensive.

The bike idea is good. but remember you are also going to have to buy a lock which can often set you back as much as the bike (my bike was 35€, my locks came to 30€)

The cheapest bike rental place is 5€ a day, just off the ramblas by Liceu metro stop. (if i can remember its name ill edit it in later)

The main tourist attractions are of course the Gaudi items, Las Ramblas and the beach. parc ciutadella is nice and i recommend Tibidabo (old amusement park on the top of a mountain with a big church and views over the whole city)

Now can someone tell me a little about Amsterdam? im moving there in a couple of weeks, i already have a place to stay sorted and a few connections with jobs, but can anyone tell me anymore obscure things that would be good to know?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Even with Bulgarian phones I can add prepaid credit online. With O2 or Vodafone or any other major carrier I can't imagine this being a problem, especially if he'll only be in western Europe where most of these carriers have brick and mortar stores anyways.

I hadn't considered online. You're right. I just haven't had a prepaid phone since you had to buy actual cards in shops.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Skam posted:

Graffiti hostel changed owners in the last few months and i have been told it is not cleaned very well anymore and has questionable security, there recent reviews are not very good, however it is cheap so if thats your main priority then yeah its ok. Id be tempted to go for one in the center. I recommend either Barcelona Mar or Sound. Although they might be a bit expensive.

The bike idea is good. but remember you are also going to have to buy a lock which can often set you back as much as the bike (my bike was 35€, my locks came to 30€)

The cheapest bike rental place is 5€ a day, just off the ramblas by Liceu metro stop. (if i can remember its name ill edit it in later)

The main tourist attractions are of course the Gaudi items, Las Ramblas and the beach. parc ciutadella is nice and i recommend Tibidabo (old amusement park on the top of a mountain with a big church and views over the whole city)

Now can someone tell me a little about Amsterdam? im moving there in a couple of weeks, i already have a place to stay sorted and a few connections with jobs, but can anyone tell me anymore obscure things that would be good to know?

Cheers for the advice. I'll look into those hostels and see what info i can find.
I'd be packing my own lock, so saving a bit of money there. I'm not really fussed what kind of bike i end up with really, anything's gonna be better than walking.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

DreddyMatt posted:

I stayed in Kabul some years ago. It's a well known hostel next to Las Ramblas. Fun and a bit crazy, especially considering that Las Ramblas get very shady at night so returning to hostel late at night can turn into an adventure.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: doublepost

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 13, 2017

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

GregNorc posted:

Is it still fun traveling Europe if you're doing it alone?

It's really the only way. See what you actually want to see. Don't get dragged around. I would just recommend staying at hostels that has a decent social reputation so that you can have some options if you are feeling social.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

GregNorc posted:

It is the most fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GregNorc posted:

I guess but having one or two other people around is nice too. My girlfriend and I were on study abroad "together" (me in Germany, she in France) a couple years ago and we got rail passes and went on a two-week power tour of Central/Eastern Europe which loving owned. At the same time I loved just hoping on a train to Nuremburg (which I guess I could do for free with my student ID, and which was only ~15 minutes away) and just spending an afternoon exploring on a nice day when I had nothing else to do.