Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

1st AD posted:

If you're gonna attach a Nano to a $4000 camera, wouldn't you have been better off going with a more expensive camera to begin with?

The price difference isn't terribly great, to be honest. The next step up really gets into far more bulky cameras (4lbs+) and the price difference after getting the SxS attachments most of them use is only like $500. Plus I really prefer working with smaller cameras.

edit: Also I already have a lot of high-speed CF cards, so that saves me some media costs.

Unexpected EOF fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Unexpected EOF posted:

bandwidth constraints and kick it up to 4:2:2.
What do you mean by that? What sample rate does the camera record in natively?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

FLX posted:

What do you mean by that? What sample rate does the camera record in natively?

The camera records to the card at 4:2:0 but it outputs 4:2:2 to HD-SDI and HDMI. It was one of the things confusing the hell out of me when I was looking at Panasonic's spec sheet and B&H's. Then I remembered that a lot of lower end cameras do that.

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

Pretty sure you can take a white balance then adjust it up and down using a dial.
The panasonic 7-14 wide is a fun lens with that camera.

The 100 records 4:2:0 because it is avchd. Next step up would be intra and that would add thousands to the price. Results are really good with avchd and ppl are just recommending outboard recording if doing picky green screen or heavy color correction.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Walnut Crunch posted:

Pretty sure you can take a white balance then adjust it up and down using a dial.
The panasonic 7-14 wide is a fun lens with that camera.

The 100 records 4:2:0 because it is avchd. Next step up would be intra and that would add thousands to the price. Results are really good with avchd and ppl are just recommending outboard recording if doing picky green screen or heavy color correction.

Yeah, but that's exactly what the nanoFlash is. The price it adds puts it to about $500 over how much a 4:2:2 that can record natively would run me. The problem is that the camera would be twice as big and twice as heavy if I went for that.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Buddy of mine is looking at the glidecam HD4000. he's got a canon 7D - are there better options in that price range? Apparently the main kit is about $500 to get started, then the accessories can total up to $2k, but he's lookin at just the starter kit for now.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 1, 2014

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

The difference is nothing like a bumped up HDV cam. HDV was and is awful. The Panasonic AVCHD is really good. People testing have basically said there is no perceivable difference between native codec and outboard recording. They say if they really get into the peeping they can see a difference and that if you were exclusive green screen the colour depth would make a difference, but there really is no need for something like the nano on a 100.

I shot in a snowstorm with the 100 and it held up beautifully.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Walnut Crunch posted:

The difference is nothing like a bumped up HDV cam. HDV was and is awful. The Panasonic AVCHD is really good. People testing have basically said there is no perceivable difference between native codec and outboard recording. They say if they really get into the peeping they can see a difference and that if you were exclusive green screen the colour depth would make a difference, but there really is no need for something like the nano on a 100.

I shot in a snowstorm with the 100 and it held up beautifully.

I do a lot of comp work so any extra colour space I can get is handy as all gently caress. Not just greenscreen but it's handy for comping poo poo into a scene as well.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

Walnut Crunch posted:

but there really is no need for something like the nano on a 100.

A KiPro/Mini can provide better quality and an easier work flow, can't say I'd pay money for the nano though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is the KiPro Mini even out yet? I'm interested since it goes DTE, but overall I like the design of the Nano better and the build quality is pretty good.

Speaking of which, has anyone really seen anything about the Atomos Ninja? I think they just finished their first production run. Based on price alone I'd really like to get one, but I'm not sure how I feel about mounting an ATA hard drive on my camera.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

butterypancakes posted:

A KiPro/Mini can provide better quality and an easier work flow, can't say I'd pay money for the nano though.

Yeah, for me it came down to "I can either get a very large, considerably heavier camera that has 4:2:2 and interchangeable lens support then maybe get a 100 down the line" or "Get the 100 and the nano and maybe put the money toward either another 100 or an HPX170 later."

1st AD posted:

Is the KiPro Mini even out yet? I'm interested since it goes DTE, but overall I like the design of the Nano better and the build quality is pretty good.

Speaking of which, has anyone really seen anything about the Atomos Ninja? I think they just finished their first production run. Based on price alone I'd really like to get one, but I'm not sure how I feel about mounting an ATA hard drive on my camera.

Apparently it is:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735435-REG/AJA_KI_PRO_MINI_R0_Ki_Pro_Mini_Compact.html

So I guess it's either a toss-up between it and the nano for me. My main leanings toward the nano were Convergent Design's pretty insane level of support behind it. It looks like the battery pack/adapter for the KiPro Mini might be a lot bigger though.

Unexpected EOF fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 2, 2011

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
I trust AJA, MPEG2 just seems like an unnecessary hassle.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
I've never really had a problem with it, but then again I've been forced to work with pretty much every format imaginable at the same time these last few months so just mpeg2 doesn't bother me that much.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Set this up today for a demo.

It's an Element Technica 3D beam splitter rig. However the guys who are testing it out are going to use it for HDR, combining two identically framed images with different exposures.

The downside is that it takes three guys to move it.

Good times!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Anybody have a ton of experience using the HMC150? I've used it for a couple months now, and while overall I like the camera much better than the HMC40, it does seem to be noisier than it's baby CMOS brother. Even at 0db gain, there's a video noise in the blacks that's kind of annoying to look at. This might just be a case of pixel peeping on my part, but the HMC40 seems to handle noise way better (even with similar scene file settings) - it's sharper in bright conditions and even when you crank it to 18db gain in low light, the image just ends up getting softer instead of noisier.

I bought mine locally, so I didn't get the Barry Green HMC book with it :( Is there maybe a scene file that can help minimize the noise levels? Right now I'm not *too* worried about it because Youtube compression tends to kill the little details anyways, but I definitely notice a difference when looking at the footage through an HD monitor.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 3, 2011

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.

SquareDog posted:

Good times!

On one hand, I look forward to attempting to fly a 3D rig. On the other hand, I make bad decisions like that all the time.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Tiresias posted:

On one hand, I look forward to attempting to fly a 3D rig. On the other hand, I make bad decisions like that all the time.

I got to sit it on a James Cameron shoot a few months back and the two operators flying the 3D rigs looked brutalized. Even with maxed out Pro arms and the best sleds, 3D ain't light.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

SquareDog posted:

It's an Element Technica 3D beam splitter rig. However the guys who are testing it out are going to use it for HDR, combining two identically framed images with different exposures.

Good times!

Are the two exposures put together in real time or are the streams captured and then blended later? Do you know what kind of software they are using to do this with or how many stops of light difference are they recording?

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

ogopogo posted:

I got to sit it on a James Cameron shoot a few months back and the two operators flying the 3D rigs looked brutalized. Even with maxed out Pro arms and the best sleds, 3D ain't light.

A friend of mine is a stereographer and Steadicam op here in LA, and he says the thing that'll make 3D bearable for the Steadicam ops of the world is the Element Technica Neutron rig with 2 RED Scarlets. I think they said the weight still comes out to 40-45lbs (13lbs with no cameras) just on the top stage. Spider-man 4 is using a 3ality rig with 2 Epics, and probably weighs more like 50-55lbs.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Tiresias posted:

A friend of mine is a stereographer and Steadicam op here in LA, and he says the thing that'll make 3D bearable for the Steadicam ops of the world is the Element Technica Neutron rig with 2 RED Scarlets. I think they said the weight still comes out to 40-45lbs (13lbs with no cameras) just on the top stage. Spider-man 4 is using a 3ality rig with 2 Epics, and probably weighs more like 50-55lbs.

Totally. While I'm not a huge fan of 3D, I am thankful for digital cameras getting smaller and better. I'm not a top steadicam operator (yet!), so 3D is nothing I have to worry about, but it's good to know that things are getting slightly easier.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Can anyone recommend a good series of tutorials on learning basic cinematography for shooting short films or basic webisode-esque TV stuff? I'm happy to devote some time to it so the more involved the better.

I am probably going to buy a second hand DVX100 because I am gay for Panasonic if that makes a difference to anything.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

At this point I think you would be better off getting a new Canon T2i or Panasonic GH2 if you are trying to do budget moviemaking.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

Casual Dilemmas posted:

Can anyone recommend a good series of tutorials on learning basic cinematography for shooting short films or basic webisode-esque TV stuff? I'm happy to devote some time to it so the more involved the better.

I am probably going to buy a second hand DVX100 because I am gay for Panasonic if that makes a difference to anything.

Getting out there and shooting is the best tutorial, but don't discount simply watching movies either. Find scenes in films you like, put the dvd on pause, and simply think about how they shot it. Did the camera movie? Where is the lighting coming from? Were there practical lights (like desk lamps, etc) going? Further more, who was the cinematographer/DP on that picture? What else have they done?

Study painters, too. Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Monet.

Also, give Visions of Light, and Cinematographer Style a go just to learn about the back story of cinematography.

Visions of light is pretty expensive right now (I'm not sure why) but it does a great job covering some of the more famous films, while Cinematographer Style is just a series of interviews with famous cinematographers.

The Affair fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 7, 2011

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 30, 2014

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

exponentory posted:

Read Stu Maschwitz's book "The DV Rebels Guide". Some of the tech may be few years back, but the principles for low budget cinematography/filmmaking remain the same. You will learn a lot. A used DVX is probably a good idea over a dslr though, learning the DV tape workflow never hurts, plus you'll have a 10x zoom, 24p, and direct sound input, which will probably benefit you more than going through the whole cumbersome syncing and all that other crap

You get 24p on most DSLRs these days (at least, my T2i has it and I'm pretty sure the 5D does as well), but yeah, you're right about all the other points. Particularly about the DV Rebel's Guide -- I can't recommend that book enough. It's awesome.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
I have some very decent XLR ribbon mics because I play the violin and I'm not sure I'm going to find a SLR with those inputs :v:

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm definitely going to try do redo some of my favorite scenes and what not and thanks for the books.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Casual Dilemmas posted:

I have some very decent XLR ribbon mics because I play the violin and I'm not sure I'm going to find a SLR with those inputs :v:

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm definitely going to try do redo some of my favorite scenes and what not and thanks for the books.

Do not use ribbon mics on a location shoot unless you want some expensive paperweights. They're pretty sensitive and you'll be much better off just renting an inexpensive shotgun/lav mic combo. The only real exception would be if you're planning on shooting in a very controlled environment (like it's just you shooting 1 talent and maybe a boom operator or grip or something on a closed set) or if you're recording someone playing guitar etc.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

A couple of my friends from University are getting DSLRs at the moment and want to buy shoulder rigs with matte box and follow focus systems too. Ebay has tons of those kits from India, but their quality is abysmal - especially the follow focus, where the inside "around-the-corner" cog wheels degrade quickly (so they don't grip properly anymore). What's a good follow focus system that can be ordered online?

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

FLX posted:

A couple of my friends from University are getting DSLRs at the moment and want to buy shoulder rigs with matte box and follow focus systems too. Ebay has tons of those kits from India, but their quality is abysmal - especially the follow focus, where the inside "around-the-corner" cog wheels degrade quickly (so they don't grip properly anymore). What's a good follow focus system that can be ordered online?

I have a Genus follow focus. It has very little play (although there is a tiny bit) and it is smooth. I touched a D|focus once and this was after I already had the Genus and I hated the D|focus. It's cheap, the marking disk looks like it will break, and it's not very smooth to turn.

I haven't personally touched one, but I have heard nothing but good things about the shoot35 ff unit. I have some of their 360° lens gears and they are fantastic and cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Genus-GL-G-BFOCS-Follow-System/dp/B003XU7BYM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299689887&sr=8-2

http://www.shoot35.com/products/cinefocus/cinefocusmainframe.html

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

chimheil posted:

I have a Genus follow focus. It has very little play (although there is a tiny bit) and it is smooth. I touched a D|focus once and this was after I already had the Genus and I hated the D|focus. It's cheap, the marking disk looks like it will break, and it's not very smooth to turn.

I haven't personally touched one, but I have heard nothing but good things about the shoot35 ff unit. I have some of their 360° lens gears and they are fantastic and cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Genus-GL-G-BFOCS-Follow-System/dp/B003XU7BYM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299689887&sr=8-2

Thanks a lot! We had a look at the D|focus before and the plastic look immediately threw a red flag.

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

FLX posted:

Thanks a lot! We had a look at the D|focus before and the plastic look immediately threw a red flag.

I understand people not wanting to spend 1200 on a follow focus, but why settle for a 150 or $200 whatever the d-focus is when you have a quality product such as the genus or shoot35 for a marginally higher price. The only thing plastic on the Genus is the marking disk and the gear that touches the lens. Very solid product.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

chimheil posted:

I have a D focus and it is pretty bad. Bad to the point where it just sits in my case and I use my hand to turn the gears on the lens. It needs to be tightened almost every time I do use it because it gets so loose.

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have a D focus and it is pretty bad. Bad to the point where it just sits in my case and I use my hand to turn the gears on the lens. It needs to be tightened almost every time I do use it because it gets so loose.

I was considering the D|focus, but I'm so glad I opted for a more expensive unit. I would much rather build up my cash pool and buy something that I will stick with, rather than getting something mediocre to pass me by until I can afford something better. Same reason I picked up a Sound Devices 702T rather than a zoom h4n. I am MUCH happier with the 702T.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Tiresias posted:

The two Epic rig is closer to 70lbs with the 3ality. PJ is using it on Hobbit too. It's not a lot of fun. Actually what makes 3d bearable is the SI2K. Slap two of those puppies on a light beam-splitter and stick it on a Steadicam Flyer and you're laughing through the whole 18 hour day. The quality is really good and the Cinedeck (aside from the software niggles) works pretty well to make it even lighter if used as your main monitor too. I have pictures of both setups if anyone wants them.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Steadiman posted:

The two Epic rig is closer to 70lbs with the 3ality. PJ is using it on Hobbit too. It's not a lot of fun. Actually what makes 3d bearable is the SI2K. Slap two of those puppies on a light beam-splitter and stick it on a Steadicam Flyer and you're laughing through the whole 18 hour day. The quality is really good and the Cinedeck (aside from the software niggles) works pretty well to make it even lighter if used as your main monitor too. I have pictures of both setups if anyone wants them.

I love seeing rig setups. Post away please!

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

Steadiman posted:

Whoa heavy metal! Is that 70lbs just on the top stage, or 70 lbs total?

I'll post some photos later once I get near my computer.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Q: What is the best way to attach a plant microphone to the bottom of a bridge/walkway, part of which will be collapsing for the shot?

A:

God I love being on set :)

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

Steadiman posted:

I was told that the Element Technica Atom rig with Epics is only 45 lbs! How much more with a gimbal and arm I don't know. At indie rentals were due to get 10 epics just as soon as they'll ship them to us (and we're higher on the list). In a side note, were getting two Alexas in a couple weeks as well, so stoked to play with all that gear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Had the opportunity to work on an Alexa shoot last week and my God, that is one sexy piece of equipment. Very easy to use.