Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

bl4d3 posted:

The service call response time's are definitely Asian in nature. Whilst in Japan (not Korea I know), an ATM ate my card. At 1am. On a Sunday. A tech was there within 30 minutes to resolve the problem. Ridiculously good.

Content Edit : I signed up for Shaw's Nitro 100Mbps service. Rock-solid 11-12+MB/sec downloading probably 85% of the time. Canadian Internet can't be THAT lovely..

Whatever, they're still charging us for volume instead of speed, or both to be specific, which is pretty insulting. They're only doing it because of the ignorance of the average consumer. It's the easiest implementation of creating artificial scarcity of a resource that I know of since it's not even a resource in the traditional sense. Go ahead and charge for bandwidth, but don't tell me there's a scarcity of the number of bits you can access in a time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
For Montrealers out there:

I'm on day four of my new 24/1 ADSL2+ service with Colba. No complaints thus far. My actual speed is closer to 12/1 which is a significant upgrade from my old 5/1 connection where I was averaging 2.3/1 speeds.

No issues during the setup or installation of the dry loop. Modem was delivered in a timely manner and service was activated on the date promised and the price comes out to just under $28/month - $17.95 for the service and $9.95 for the dry loop. Oh and like I stated before, these guys own their own equipment so they would not be subject to UBB should Bell implement it in the future.

Just a couple of things to note:

- The above deal is now $2 extra/month. You also only get the above deal if you pay for a year upfront. Otherwise, it's $35/month plus extra for the dry loop. I'm 1.8 KM from the CO and three people in my building (built in 2008) already have the service and got great speeds so I decided to make the leap.
- The service only supports two modems that I know of. $60 and $110 are their respective prices. Word is that if you have a non-supported ADSL2+ modem, it will still work, but it will be significantly slower.
- There is also a one time installation fee for the dry loop plus $60 activation fee.

Overall, I think the service is well worth it for me but you have to do all or nothing for it to be worth while. If you just want to try it out for a month, with all the fees involved it comes out to $100+. At that point you might as well shell out the money for the one year if you can afford it.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Halfway through the billing cycle, and we've gone over our 60 GB limit. We're already at +$16 on the next bill, and I planned on doing a fair bit of VPN work as well as gaming. Looks like I'll need to look up the maximum amount Rogers can charge you for going over.
It's $50 currently. It used to only be $25, but I guess too many people were like me where they went "Welp, I went over my limit. Time to start downloading as much as possible for the rest of the month."

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Video of the latest INDU meeting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3zL7K-cKC4

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

bl4d3 posted:

The service call response time's are definitely Asian in nature. Whilst in Japan (not Korea I know), an ATM ate my card. At 1am. On a Sunday. A tech was there within 30 minutes to resolve the problem. Ridiculously good.

Content Edit : I signed up for Shaw's Nitro 100Mbps service. Rock-solid 11-12+MB/sec downloading probably 85% of the time. Canadian Internet can't be THAT lovely..

I signed up for Bell's Fibe 25, which gives about 2 mbps on a good host. However, if my download speeds get over 500 kbps (that's a house-wide total), the router modem will reset itself and take a good 90 seconds to reinitialize. Do you know how hard it is to throttle Firefox?

We've made a call to Bell. They were going to come Thursday, 12-5. Nobody showed. Not even a phone call. I cancelled things to meet their goddamn tech. I call to complain, and I get "Oh. Oops. We'll send someone Saturday. 12-5."

If I didn't know Rogers was just as bad, I'd switch. I'm about three klicks outside TekSavvy's service area. I have two choices, a poo poo sandwich or a poo poo sundae. Canadian Internet access is that lovely.

E: So what was the result of the CRTC inquiry? UBB is baseless and borderline extortion, but they're gonna do it anyway?

Vergeh fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 5, 2011

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Vergeh posted:

I signed up for Bell's Fibe 25, which gives about 2 mbps on a good host. However, if my download speeds get over 500 kbps (that's a house-wide total), the router modem will reset itself and take a good 90 seconds to reinitialize. Do you know how hard it is to throttle Firefox?

I've got Fibe 7 and I have a similar problem. Whenever my download speeds hit around 800kb/s, whatever's sucking down the bandwidth will keep on trucking but I can't do anything else. Trying to load even Google or Facebook isn't an option, I'll get time-outs. With torrents it's not too bad since I can throttle them, but anything I can't throttle is a huge pain, like Steam. Steam loves to suck up every bit of bandwidth I can give so I'm stuck either letting stuff download while I'm away or at night.

I really miss Cable for this, but we switched to Bell/DSL because it was cheaper overall for home phone/satellite TV/internet. We're currently paying something like $35 for 100GB of bandwidth (versus $40+ for 30GB with Videotron :lol: ). I actually had to call them this weekend because of some billing issue and they "upgraded" my internet service to actually use the full 7Mbps constantly because apparently it was some dumb "heh maybe it's 3Mbps, maybe it's 7, who knows!!!" plan :psyduck:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Parachute Underwear posted:

I've got Fibe 7 and I have a similar problem. Whenever my download speeds hit around 800kb/s, whatever's sucking down the bandwidth will keep on trucking but I can't do anything else. Trying to load even Google or Facebook isn't an option, I'll get time-outs. With torrents it's not too bad since I can throttle them, but anything I can't throttle is a huge pain, like Steam. Steam loves to suck up every bit of bandwidth I can give so I'm stuck either letting stuff download while I'm away or at night.

I really miss Cable for this, but we switched to Bell/DSL because it was cheaper overall for home phone/satellite TV/internet. We're currently paying something like $35 for 100GB of bandwidth (versus $40+ for 30GB with Videotron :lol: ). I actually had to call them this weekend because of some billing issue and they "upgraded" my internet service to actually use the full 7Mbps constantly because apparently it was some dumb "heh maybe it's 3Mbps, maybe it's 7, who knows!!!" plan :psyduck:

So get a router and do QOS?? How is this a problem? You're maxing out your bandwidth and the rest of your apps are suffering for it. Not rocket science.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

So get a router and do QOS?? How is this a problem? You're maxing out your bandwidth and the rest of your apps are suffering for it. Not rocket science.

I'm saying it was never an issue with cable and the same speeds (7Mbps). It may not be rocket science but I don't know what QoS is. I will look it up. Sorry for my ignorance!!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

I'm saying it was never an issue with cable and the same speeds (7Mbps). It may not be rocket science but I don't know what QoS is. I will look it up. Sorry for my ignorance!!

Read this from DD-WRT, I found it incredibly useful.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

I ended up going out and buying a DD-WRT compatible router, and it's been terrific.

I can set up rules based on service (by inspecting the packet), port number, or IP address the traffic is headed to. Then choose a level of service.

Bulk < Standard < Express < Premium < QoS-Exempt

Premium has priority over express, which has priority over standard, etc. Traffic not specified by a rule is Standard by default.
So setting stuff to Bulk, it only gets bandwidth if no other services require it.

less than three fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 6, 2011

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Your cable probably had a burst bucket that would allow you to go higher than 7Mbps for a limited amount of time and then drop you back down.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

less than three posted:

Read this from DD-WRT, I found it incredibly useful.

Thanks, I'll definitely check this out. It'd just be nice if Steam let you throttle its speeds manually is all.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
If you're in BC just get TekSavvy Cable. No questions, just go now. A plan that's roughly on par for price with Shaw Extreme has unlimited data still - unlike other regions of the country where they've had to implement UBB (Edit: okay, seems like they're extending this to everyone else too, I just got the data in my sales inquiry earlier), BC seems to not be prone to it. The minute Shaw tries to charge me even a dollar over is the minute I'm heading to TS and never looking back.

lizzyinthesky fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 7, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Not Canadian internet exactly, but AT&T is going to start implementing usage caps,
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/13/atandt-will-cap-dsl-u-verse-internet-and-impose-overage-fees/

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Welp.
http://www.tele-management.ca/content/23644-crtc_won%E2%80%99t_include_retail_services_in_internet_price_hearing

CRTC posted:

“There is no evidence that market forces are not working properly in this unregulated market.”

Better bits down on something, Bell and Rogers customers. They just got carte blanche to go in dry.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Vergeh posted:

Welp.
http://www.tele-management.ca/content/23644-crtc_won%E2%80%99t_include_retail_services_in_internet_price_hearing

Better bits down on something, Bell and Rogers customers. They just got carte blanche to go in dry.

Frankly, as long as it's actually possible for competing ISPs to function and provide alternatives across the country, Bell and Rogers are welcome to destroy their future business in an orgy of shortsighted gouging.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

http://openmedia.ca/news/crtc-open-controversial-closed-door-meeting

OpenMedia.ca Receives Invitation to Internet Governance Meeting, Pushes for Further Transparency

March 14, 2011 – Pro-Internet group OpenMedia.ca received a call from the CRTC on Friday in response to their criticism of an upcoming closed-door meeting, which will play a role in shaping the future of broadcast and Internet regulation. The public engagement organization is lauding the CRTC’s efforts to broaden representation at the meeting.

OpenMedia.ca’s initial concerns about the meeting, that takes place March 23rd and 24th, were reflected in a letter to supporters, wherein they expressed that without the watchful eye of the public, these invitation-only meetings would likely become “yet another big telecom lobbying bonanza.” The CBC later followed up and put these concerns to the CRTC.

On behalf of the public, OpenMedia.ca has now also asked the CRTC for the full list of invitees, reasoning that this will help ensure Canadians and innovators are adequately represented. OpenMedia.ca is also asking that the meeting minutes be published and for the meeting itself to be recorded and made publicly available through live online video and audio stream.

So far, it has been confirmed that the CRTC will disclose the list of participants. In so doing, the commission will promote a balance between representatives of Big Telecom, broadcasters, digital creators, and people working for Canadians’ interests.

OpenMedia.ca executive director Steve Anderson believes that these requests are very reasonable, especially in light of increasing public concern over CRTC dealings.

“It’s time to get away from industry groupthink,” said Anderson. “The CRTC has been insulated from public sentiment, especially evident in their treatment of the usage-based billing issue, but it can now take steps to fix that problem by opening their processes."

“This meeting is part of a larger endeavour that will shape the future of our nation’s communications policy. It is incredibly important that the CRTC take into account the fact that industry groups are not the biggest and most important stakeholders -- ordinary Canadians are. In the 21st century, citizens want to play an active role in governance.”

The CRTC is set to respond to OpenMedia.ca in the coming week with further information about their public engagement strategy for the meeting. A representative from OpenMedia.ca will attend the meeting on behalf of Canadians.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

lizzyinthesky posted:

If you're in BC just get TekSavvy Cable. No questions, just go now. A plan that's roughly on par for price with Shaw Extreme has unlimited data still - unlike other regions of the country where they've had to implement UBB (Edit: okay, seems like they're extending this to everyone else too, I just got the data in my sales inquiry earlier), BC seems to not be prone to it. The minute Shaw tries to charge me even a dollar over is the minute I'm heading to TS and never looking back.

Shaw or Telus are my only options here in Nanaimo :(

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Joink posted:

Shaw or Telus are my only options here in Nanaimo :(

Teksavvy resells shaw and telus connections at a discount, have you checked the web site to see if they can hook you up? When I entered my postal code in Port Moody it said no service but then I realized that in the top right corner it had Ontario selected, once I changed it to BC it detected my postal code as having service through them with no problems.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Changed the province to BC, and noticed the prices where better but I still get:

We are sorry but cable internet is not currently available for the Postal Code () you specfied.
Please try again later.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Squibbles posted:

Teksavvy resells shaw and telus connections at a discount, have you checked the web site to see if they can hook you up? When I entered my postal code in Port Moody it said no service but then I realized that in the top right corner it had Ontario selected, once I changed it to BC it detected my postal code as having service through them with no problems.

Hey, I live on Port Moody. Small world....

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

When TekSavvy says they provide 6M on DSL download, is that 6Mbps? My Telus connection is 15Mbps right now and I'm a little concerned about switching to Cable as my speed is pretty consistent with DSL.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
It is most definitely Mbps otherwise everyone would be clamouring for that 40Mbps+ DSL.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
DistribuTel is putting fliers in the mail for unlimited internet these days. I have no idea if they're any good but at least the word is getting out from resellers to people who otherwise don't care.

urf
Jul 12, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

DistribuTel is putting fliers in the mail for unlimited internet these days. I have no idea if they're any good but at least the word is getting out from resellers to people who otherwise don't care.

I'm starting DistribuTel service this friday.
I'll post impressions after a month or so.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

When this whole shitstorm started, I switched from Teksavvy DSL to their cable. For the most part it's been great, and while I subscribed to 10 MBps service, I oddly seem to be getting 15 frequently. I don't know what's up with that.

The problem is though, some nights, I just cannot stream YouTube videos or Netflix for poo poo. They're retardedly slow and constantly buffering, whereas on DSL I could stream high-def video just fine. As well, I'll have all kinds of lag spikes destroying me in online games. Or getting me booted from servers.

The weird thing is though while this is happening I can still download at full speed. (I don't try WHILE streaming/gaming.)

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

I know there's no other activity going on. My roommates aren't even in the country right now and their laptops aren't here. I can check my router status page and see that there's no mystery bandwidth usage.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

teethgrinder posted:

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

I'm on the 15mbps and see 23mbps at certain times of the day.

As for the speed issues you are not alone:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25583388-Cable-extremely-slow-today-

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thing is, I'm not getting speed issues. It's more like packet-loss or something, at least insofar as gaming is concerned. Not sure what the streaming-video problem is though it's presumably related. I can surf just fine and download via HTTP no problem.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm on Teksavvy DSL and my YouTube videos load really slowly as well

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Totally posted this in the wrong Canadian thread~

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 21, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I'm sure that if they are willing to put up a microwave receiver one of our ISPs would be happy to beam them some internet.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

triplexpac posted:

I'm on Teksavvy DSL and my YouTube videos load really slowly as well

I think that's just YouTube being YouTube. I'm with Rogers and their "Extreme Plus" cable internet and YouTube can be incredibly sluggish at times. I find it varies on the video and also the quality selected. A 480p video may load super-slow but bump it up to 720p and the video is downloaded in a matter of seconds.

Are you using Roger's DNS or a third party? I'm using Google's myself so maybe that has something to do with it?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Ruklo Burosee posted:

I think that's just YouTube being YouTube. I'm with Rogers and their "Extreme Plus" cable internet and YouTube can be incredibly sluggish at times. I find it varies on the video and also the quality selected. A 480p video may load super-slow but bump it up to 720p and the video is downloaded in a matter of seconds.

Are you using Roger's DNS or a third party? I'm using Google's myself so maybe that has something to do with it?

Hmm I have no idea what DNS I'm using, I'll have to check that. Is Google's recommended?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

triplexpac posted:

Hmm I have no idea what DNS I'm using, I'll have to check that. Is Google's recommended?

You should switch to Google DNS anyways. 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

I don't know if it'd interfere with Rogers injecting their bandwidth usage alerts into web pages though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ruklo Burosee posted:

I think that's just YouTube being YouTube. I'm with Rogers and their "Extreme Plus" cable internet and YouTube can be incredibly sluggish at times. I find it varies on the video and also the quality selected.

This happens even with Verizon FIOS, so yeah I'd say it's just Youtube.

LITERALLY MAD IRL
Oct 30, 2008

And Malcolm Gladwell likes what he hears!

less than three posted:

I don't know if it'd interfere with Rogers injecting their bandwidth usage alerts into web pages though.

It doesn't.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Will using Google's DNS prevent those insipid 404 hijacks?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ruklo Burosee posted:

It varies on different videos and different resolutions because the videos and different resolutions of them can be hosted on a whole bunch of different servers, some of which have a great connection to your isp and you, others that don't or are currently overloaded from other people.

less than three posted:

http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm You should actually run this quick application. IT does a 10 to 15 minute test of the speed, reliability and consistency of like a lot of different DNS servers from your location. In most cases it turns out that Google or Level 3 DNS (4.2.2.1-6) comes out on top but its sometimes others, and there are places where Google DNS for some reason is really bad and poo poo like that.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 21, 2011

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Vergeh posted:

Will using Google's DNS prevent those insipid 404 hijacks?

I think there's a link to opt out of those when they show up, at least, that's how I got rid of them.

What was worse was having to go into my Rogers SMC wireless router's firmware to get rid of some malware hijacking built right into them. For whatever reason, the combination of using Firefox with OS X made timeout errors redirect to a malware website called wsearch.net. When I called Rogers, their brilliant solution was to use MIE. :downs:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I never had trouble streaming YouTube on 5mbit DSL. 1080p content was just fine though I may have had to let it buffer a bit. I can't even stream 360p consistently any more. I mentioned it because I've heard a couple Rogers customers whine about it before and always thought they were crazy.

Oddly for my brother it seemed to be on a per-device level. His desktop PC couldn't stream for poo poo, yet his girlfriend's laptop would work great.

All anecdotal of course.

I guess I was wondering if there's some low-level networking stuff beyond my comprehension going on. So uh ... how about that MTU setting ... maybe it should be different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'm on the 5mbit DSL and I have to let youtube buffer pretty much anything I want to watch. That could be my wireless router though, or who knows what, I'm not really too smart when it comes to setting up internet. I'm going to experiment with plugging directly into the router and see if that helps anything.