Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Walamor posted:

They've been offering full rides to everyone with over 168 LSAT and almost full rides to people close to that mark. Significantly higher scoring people are going to Indiana now.
That's a pretty good plan. $40k per year for free is about what it would take for me to move to Indiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
What on earth would cause a school like Chicago-Kent to rise 19 spots? I noticed that DePaul rose 14, too--just a good year for the Chicago market, maybe?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
For those that can't get enough RANKINGS~! here is the latest THE reputation list released a couple days ago. This is a snapshot of the entire school of course and not just our little hosed up world - http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/mar/10/world-top-100-universities-reputation-rankings-reputation-times-higher-education

quote:

1. Harvard
2. MIT
3. Cambridge
4. Berkeley
5. Stanford
6. Oxford
7. Princeton
8. Tokyo
9. Yale
10. Cal Tech

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sigmachiev posted:

For those that can't get enough RANKINGS~! here is the latest THE reputation list released a couple days ago. This is a snapshot of the entire school of course and not just our little hosed up world - http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/mar/10/world-top-100-universities-reputation-rankings-reputation-times-higher-education

No one cares about reputation because MIT is ranked higher than Caltech.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Reading some old correspondence with US associates I noticed more than 1 firm undergoing "debit crunch" and asking if we can delay/extend stuff until the next year if at all possible.

No jobs indeed.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Yesterday the firm I work at (five attorneys) got cold-called by an '09 begging to be our file clerk.

I am going to need to hire a file clerk/runner soon, as our runner will be absent for some time, but I'll be damned if I trust a cold-caller desperate for a job with regular deposits in the tens of thousands.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I have a really hard time believing that this shitheap is the 7th best law school in the state of Michigan, let alone the country

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 15, 2011

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Huh. Now I'm have more reason to be glad that I didn't go to Emory.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

entris posted:

Why not? More billables with a client who wants to fight to the bitter end.
Sometimes you just want a case to go away.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

HiddenReplaced posted:

We are so god drat weird. 3rd lowest admission rate, not even top 14 for LSAT.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 15, 2011

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

gvibes posted:

Sometimes you just want a case to go away.

Truer words never spoken.

cendien
Sep 14, 2008
Crim prof at the beginning of class: "Anyone want to take 3 minutes to complain about the USNWR rankings?"

Emory.

poo poo.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

cendien posted:

Crim prof at the beginning of class: "Anyone want to take 3 minutes to complain about the USNWR rankings?"

Emory.

poo poo.

Why? We got served at OCI and the rankings should (and did) reflect that. Same thing happened to UGA. I wouldn't expect anything different. I'm sure we'll bounce back up again next year.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Omerta posted:

Why? We got served at OCI and the rankings should (and did) reflect that. Same thing happened to UGA. I wouldn't expect anything different. I'm sure we'll bounce back up again next year.

No, it's because you're all a bunch of lurkers. I had no idea we had Emory lawgoons. How terrible was OCI?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 17, 2011

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

Omerta posted:

Why 'poo poo'? Because it sucks. No way around it, regardless of whether it was deserved. Don't try to tell me you sent in your deposit thinking Emory was going to drop 8 spots this year. Obviously rankings aren't the most important thing in the world, and the fact that we dropped this year isn't going to really change our employment prospects much, if at all, but its disconcerting nonetheless.

HiddenReplaced posted:

No, it's because you're all a bunch of lurkers. I had no idea we had Emory lawgoons. How terrible was OCI?

Hah yeah. I don't post a ton anywhere on SA. But as for OCI, I don't know anything about this year's fall OCI, and I'm a 1L so I can't really compare to last year's spring, but this is what I can tell you: As a 1L, spring OCI seemed ok at best. There were probably 15 employers (symplicity won't let me access it anymore, so I can't be sure), one of which was hiring for 5 or so offices. Pretty much all were regional. I'm right about top third and I got two interviews. Haven't heard back, but one was pretty recently. I know it was better for higher ranked people, but I don't know how many offers were extended or will be. Overall, 1Ls here seem to be finding jobs, some with more luck than others, but I expect all of us to have something this summer if we put in the effort.

Can't speak for the 2/3L's. Some have jobs, many don't. I don't think Emory is all that different from most similarly ranked schools in that regard, though. Sure, OCI was crap a few years ago, but its getting better.

Take all that with a grain of salt though. My knowledge is limited.

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008
Has any of you witnessed or heard about a non-american student successfully land a job after a LLM in the US?

I know that in France most people will do a year in LLM (some will even pass the bar) and then come back to Paris and never go back to the US. But sometimes a law student will tell me about his dreams of LLM + job in New-York. I don't know if I should be sceptical or supportive.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Macnigore posted:

Has any of you witnessed or heard about a non-american student successfully land a job after a LLM in the US?

I know that in France most people will do a year in LLM (some will even pass the bar) and then come back to Paris and never go back to the US. But sometimes a law student will tell me about his dreams of LLM + job in New-York. I don't know if I should be sceptical or supportive.

NY firms and foreign LLMs have a love hate relationship. Mostly hate.

NY is one of the few (last I heard, the number was 19) states that will let you practice law with an LLM but without an American JD. Most of the states around it do not, and except for Cali NY is also the most prominent of the 19. So almost every immigrant in the area and many outside it wind up getting LLMs here as their way into practice. This thread hates LLM degrees because LLM candidates don't get jobs, but that was only true of US citizens; LLMs were a legitimate path to BIGLAW for overseas attorneys depending on class rank and prior career.

I say 'were' because AFAIK the recession killed that, so now those people's options are to find a $40K a year non-profit willing to sponsor their green card or go home; those with existing legal status have the exciting option to open a solo shop and join the ten million other lawyers in the tri-state area, but cannot leave the state because even 5 year reciprocity mostly doesn't apply for LLMs that aren't otherwise eligible in that state. No jobs, die somewhere else.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Ainsley McTree posted:

WE'RE #(7)1! WE'RE #(7)1! WE'RE #(7)1!

What's up #71 buddy! :hfive:

Loyola Chicago: not even the best law school in a 2 mile radius.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
So I know there's a few posters in here that know about intellectual property law, and I know Petey has mentioned Harvard's Cyberlaw Clinic. Is it even worth looking into the Berkman Center Cyberlaw Clinic given that I don't have an engineering/hard science undergrad background? Are there decent "soft" intellectual property jobs out there, or am I going to be completely hamstrung by an inability to sit for the patent bar? I haven't really had a huge interest in intellectual property until looking into Harvard's Cyberlaw Clinic, but it's definitely not something I would want to pursue if it's poor employment without being able to sit for the patent bar.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

So I know there's a few posters in here that know about intellectual property law, and I know Petey has mentioned Harvard's Cyberlaw Clinic. Is it even worth looking into the Berkman Center Cyberlaw Clinic given that I don't have an engineering/hard science undergrad background? Are there decent "soft" intellectual property jobs out there, or am I going to be completely hamstrung by an inability to sit for the patent bar? I haven't really had a huge interest in intellectual property until looking into Harvard's Cyberlaw Clinic, but it's definitely not something I would want to pursue if it's poor employment without being able to sit for the patent bar.

One personal anecdote: IP came up during the interview w/ the firm I'm going to summer at - half the people there are IP. I said I dig it but I don't have a hard science background. Dude said you don't need one, particularly if you are looking at IP litigation. So if you're interested in it, check it out. Patent is something else though.

Also clinic stuff early on is a good talking point in interviews so if this is something they let you get involved with as a 1L it'd at least be a nice extra curricular to have.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Berkman is awesome, and if you're at all interested in cyberlaw (which encompasses a lot more than just IP and, despite what its detractors say, is really important), you should give it a shot. You will never be a patent prosecutor, but if you get in to Berkman you will stand a good chance of doing something much more interesting.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 16, 2011

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Adar posted:

NY firms and foreign LLMs have a love hate relationship. Mostly hate.

NY is one of the few (last I heard, the number was 19) states that will let you practice law with an LLM but without an American JD. Most of the states around it do not, and except for Cali NY is also the most prominent of the 19. So almost every immigrant in the area and many outside it wind up getting LLMs here as their way into practice. This thread hates LLM degrees because LLM candidates don't get jobs, but that was only true of US citizens; LLMs were a legitimate path to BIGLAW for overseas attorneys depending on class rank and prior career.

I say 'were' because AFAIK the recession killed that, so now those people's options are to find a $40K a year non-profit willing to sponsor their green card or go home; those with existing legal status have the exciting option to open a solo shop and join the ten million other lawyers in the tri-state area, but cannot leave the state because even 5 year reciprocity mostly doesn't apply for LLMs that aren't otherwise eligible in that state. No jobs, die somewhere else.

I figure someone licensed to practice law in both Canada and the US would be in high demand, is it easier for a US trained lawyer to get admitted in Canada than it is for a Canadian trained lawyer to get admitted in the US?

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Are there decent "soft" intellectual property jobs out there, or am I going to be completely hamstrung by an inability to sit for the patent bar?

Since you can't sit for the patent bar, your options are IP litigation, copyrights, or trademarks. IP litigation will be iffy since many firms preferred attorneys who could sit for the patent bar to litigate for them. That leaves copyrights and trademarks.

You're doomed.

Even the USPTO can't save you.

wacko_- fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 16, 2011

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

wacko_- posted:

Since you can't sit for the patent bar, your options are IP litigation, copyrights, or trademarks. IP litigation will be iffy since many firms preferred attorneys who could sit for the patent bar to litigate for them. That leaves copyrights and trademarks.

You're doomed.

Even the USPTO can't save you.

I was president of my school's IP association, and got the 'I'd rather be out drinking' stare by every interviewer in an IP firm. Whether that was because I was soft IP or because I was terrible, I'll never know. But just throwing that out there.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Personal anecdote (though this is a Canadian one so perhaps grains of salt are in order): I worked for CIPPIC (hardly a Berkman equivalent, but the best cyberlaw clinic in the country) for a year-plus, and IP firms won't even look at me because "I don't have enough of a technical background" for lacking an engineering/science background (I minored in CS and did IT work in college, but that's really nothing) - most such firms will do patents in addition to soft IP, and appear to want people who can do patents.

I'd have done it anyway because I'm a panda and it was great work, and I could just be terrible too (:respek: Abugadu), but if you don't love the field it might be best avoided.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Konstantin posted:

I figure someone licensed to practice law in both Canada and the US would be in high demand, is it easier for a US trained lawyer to get admitted in Canada than it is for a Canadian trained lawyer to get admitted in the US?

You're skipping over the threshold question, which is why does a firm have a compelling need to have a Canadian-trained lawyer admitted in the U.S. or vice-versa? I think people sometimes presume that tacking on more licenses and titles puts a person in more demand without considering where that demand would come from. What purpose would it serve to be licensed in both Canada and in the US?

Just because I'm not licensed in X's jurisdiction doesn't mean I can't research X's law. And while I don't know Canadian law on special admission, I know that even though I'm only admitted in New York, I can pretty much walk into any court in the country and get admitted pro hac vice if the need arises. And if a firm finds a need to be in X on a frequent, regular basis, it's easier to hire counsel that is physically located in X rather than flying people from Y to appear in X's jurisdiction twice a week.

Maybe there is some benefit at the margin to being dual-licensed, but you have to compare that benefit to the cost of becoming dual-licensed. There's probably no net benefit once you consider all of the costs.

I'm reminded of a friend who, fresh out of law school, couldn't find a job anywhere, and so instead of actively pursuing employment, he spent the next two years taking bar exams and getting licensed in something like four states (and these are big Midwestern states that people don't frequently travel between) because he thought it'd pump up his resume. In the end, it just made him look schizophrenic about where he wanted to practice.

10-8 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 16, 2011

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Anecdotally, all of the IP boutiques I've looked into required all of their associates to have the ability to sit for the patent bar, even if they were being hired to do litigation, trademarks, etc. In many cases, that fact is used on firm marketing materials "All of our associates have a science/engineering background and can sit for the patent bar!" as if it's something special - I suppose some clients might like that to reassure their inventors they won't have to dumb down their invention disclosures too far.

In general practice firms that happen to have an IP litigation group, things are different. I've seen plenty of IP and even patent litigators that don't qualify to sit for the USPTO exam. Given that you'll have exceptionally strong credentials coming out of Harvard, you would probably have a good shot at one of those jobs, as long as your resume showed a dedication to IP. You don't want to appear to just be applying for an IP position because it's where the job opening is.

However, you need to keep in mind you'll be competing against other grads who DO have a hard science background, so you'll be at a disadvantage, because they can do more than you can. You'll also probably not be eligible for any summer program that includes a stint with a patent prosecution group. I'm sure the Harvard name makes up for a lot of the deficiency of not having a science/engineering background, but how much of a difference it makes is probably very case by case depending on the firm.

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 16, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Abugadu posted:

I was president of my school's IP association, and got the 'I'd rather be out drinking' stare by every interviewer in an IP firm. Whether that was because I was soft IP or because I was terrible, I'll never know. But just throwing that out there.
Yeah, but you were in a suburb 40 mi outside of detroit, he's going to haaavard.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

What do you actually want to do?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
<<<Just got put on the waiting list at America University. Law School numbers ranks it at #46. Should I be excited or should I just kill myself?
http://schools.lawschoolnumbers.com/schools?rank

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Enigma89 posted:

<<<Just got put on the waiting list at America University. Law School numbers ranks it at #46. Should I be excited or should I just kill myself?

Be excited because you didn't get in and if things go right, you won't be pressured to go.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

gvibes posted:

What do you actually want to do?

Right now I've just been exploring my options and wanted to get a feel for what I could and could not do in intellectual property without being able to sit for the patent bar.

Sounds like some mixed feelings on the issue. It looks like there's areas through Berkman I could pursue, but trying to do something traditional in IP seems pretty messy, what with the narrowing of IP firm hiring to only lawyers that can sit for the patent bar. Berkman credentials will likely open doors, but I'll have to look into it more.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
For Reals law question time!

Does an S Corp that has never been a C Corp need to worry about the Accumulated Adjustments Account?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Right now I've just been exploring my options and wanted to get a feel for what I could and could not do in intellectual property without being able to sit for the patent bar.

Sounds like some mixed feelings on the issue. It looks like there's areas through Berkman I could pursue, but trying to do something traditional in IP seems pretty messy, what with the narrowing of IP firm hiring to only lawyers that can sit for the patent bar. Berkman credentials will likely open doors, but I'll have to look into it more.
The only thing you strictly can't do is patent prosecution.

Things you can do as an associate:
1) patent litigation
2) trademark prosecution
3) trademark litigation
4) copyright litigation
5) IP deal work

There are other little bullshit things people can do in the IP or "internet" area, but they are generally side shows, time-wise (unless I am missing something).

Of those five, IME, typically general litigators will handle 3 and 4, while transactional generalists will handle 5, with occasional help from IP folks. There are some soft IP boutiques that however will hire people to do 2, 3, and 4. One I'm aware is Pattishall McAullife in Chicago. But there are not a ton of options out there.

You can get a patent litigation job but, as others have said, you are facing an uphill battle. For instance, I think my firm hires non-technical people for patent lit spots, but you have to be in the top 5% or something, whereas technical people only have to be top 10%, and people with a more demanded technical background (basically, EE and CompE currently) can be like 20%.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

MoFauxHawk posted:

Be excited because you didn't get in and if things go right, you won't be pressured to go.

But but but but... their international law program is ranked #5 in the country? :negative:

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I can't tell if you're trolling or not but that doesn't mean anything.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Enigma89 posted:

You should be excited. If they don't let you in then you won't go. That's a good thing you idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

"Applications to start law school in the United States in the fall of 2011 have dropped 11.5 percent since last year and are on target to hit the lowest level in a decade, according to data provided by the Law School Admission Council Inc."

doing the Lord's work :c00l: