Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Blue Pyramid posted:

I built a razorback today

For the most part, this is pretty cool. The one thing I really don't like though is the turret. Not so much its design, but how it's mounted. It's this big fat thing held up by a spindly little join. Beef it up, because right now it looks like it was just glued onto a vehicle that's otherwise solid and consistent looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Big Willy Style posted:

That conversion is pretty tight. Instead of GS I would have used milliput because you can sand it smooth, you could probably still go over with it if you wished to. Not a bad job mate. The turret sits a little too high for my liking as well.

I gotta look into that milliput. And yeah, the turret it pretty high, I might be able to trim the support down a bit more.

EDIT: This too ^^

The Blue Pyramid fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 15, 2011

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
PV - are you still doing the store thing? Paintvagrant.com seems to be dead...

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
I think I'd like it more if the turret was a little shorter. It stands too tall off the Rhino, on a really skinny bit.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

The Blue Pyramid posted:

I built a razorback today

Me too! Well, the other day. Paint and cleanup and such is still in progress.

Las/Plas - arms are magnetized, because why not. Gun is from the stormraven, other things from various vehicles. Just pretend the plasma pistols are plasma guns because hes a really good shot or something.

TLAC - guns from the stormraven again, thing between them is some epic mortar, and a bunch of other bits.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Dagon posted:

Me too!

Looks pretty fly

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

jubelio posted:

Looks pretty fly

:rimshot:

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Tried out another design

How's this one looking?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Feeple posted:

Dude. PLEASE go into more detail on how you made the books and stuff. I totally want to do this for my best friend's wedding.

Short answer:
Plasticard and color printouts.

Long answer:
I found decently sized color images of the assorted books through GIS (as well as the GM screen & character sheets.) Did a little math on how small a D&D book should be at 1/12 scale (0.73" x 0.94"), and dragged the images I'd be using into a OpenOffice/Word document. Using the image properties you can resize it based on actual inches, which is incredibly useful for printing something like this. I was able to fit multiple copies of each image on the page, which was useful to have as a backup when I inevitably hosed one of them up later on. Printed at Kinko's on glossy paper (not cardstock, just paper) to emulate the shine of the books.

For the bulk of things just I picked up a multipack of plasticard (1 thin, 1 medium, 1 thick), though only ended up using two of the thicknesses. The thickest one I used for the books- just cut out one of the extra book images with an X-acto knife (I actually used something simlar to this to keep my edges straight), then use that as a template for cutting out the thick plasticard books. After a little scraping/filing to make sure everything fit I attached the images with a generic gluestick for paper.

The GM screen needed the medium thickness card, as the thicker was too uncooperative on staying in a nice bent shape. Bend it into shape first, then glue on the graphic. Bending it after you glue on the picture means that the pic will rip and you'll have to do it again (ask me how I know.)

I had planned on putting the character sheets on the thinnest plasticard, but didn't need it in the end. The glossy paper was sturdy enough on its own. Plus, it looked better being as thin as possible.

As I had said above, the combat mat was just a textured piece of plasticard that came with the grid pattern on it. Prime + Dheneb Stone + a couple very light washes with Sepia got the color right.

Once all was ready to go, I just attached it to the table via thin applications of superglue. There was a little frosting around the GM screen from where it moved a little; otherwise it all adhered fine.

Suggestions for things that I didn't have time for but had planned to do:
-Thick plastic rod being used to make soda cans. Cut to size, bevel top and bottom edges, drill one large hole to make the depression at the top of the can, drill a second hole for the small opening. Print label as above, use some chainmail/mithril silver to paint the aluminum top and bottom.

-Kneadatite dorito/cheeto bags. A lot like making sand bags. Print a graphic for them, size it right with kneadatite, glue, paint the shiny foil parts with silver. Maybe a drybrush here or there with Scab Red & Blazing Orange to recreate orange snack dust or fingerprints.

-Kneadatite dice of a true 1/12 scale. Get the right basic shape, then file until it looks right. I had started one, but it was far more time consuming than I had thought.

-A back to the GM screen. I couldn't find any quick images via GIS, but I'm sure they're out there. Otherwise, just scan the back of a GM screen and go from there.

-Tiny figurines for the battlemat. Using something from the Reaper Familiar Packs as a "big beastie" like a dragon was the intent, and then following up with tiny GS shapes on bases cut from 1/12" plastic rod. The little minis don't need to be super awesome, as at that size the colors you paint them will be more telling than any shape you could achieve.

-Tiny pencils from plastic rod. File a point into one end, paint appropriately.

-An open book would be even more awesome. Print two appropriate pages from inside the book. Use your thinnest pieces of plasticard for the backing, and curl the edges where they'll meet the spine. Glue into place over medium plasticard (the open "covers") to help it keep its shape, and then glue the pages in. I really wanted to do this for the "Wow!" factor, but it just couldn't be done in the half-an-evening that I was given to work on this.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Tried out another design

How's this one looking?

I'd like a side view, if possible, but otherwise it looks much better. I'm liking the 'slapdash' style of your marines thus far. :)

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

bhsman posted:

I'd like a side view, if possible, but otherwise it looks much better. I'm liking the 'slapdash' style of your marines thus far. :)

Thanks, also side view:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The middle piece looks just a little bit bare, is there any way you could work an aquila or something into the center between the guns?

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
I've got some minis on order, and I figure I might as well get used to pinning right off the bat.

However, the P3 Drill I had my eye on seems to be in short supply lately. The only one I can find reliably online is the Army Painter drill. Is it any good? If not, is there some specific drill I SHOULD buy?

Also, are bits pretty much interchangeable between various drills? Like, if I buy the Army Painter drill, can I just buy P3 bit/rod kits?

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
for my Nobz kit, I have a question. All the kombi-shootas have an extra hand mounted on the underside of the gun. This would be fine if I wasnt using one hand for powerklaws. Is there any way to remove the hand on the underside without totally destroying the gun?

For that matter, is there even any way to "reverse" the hand holding the claw?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Exacto knives and superglue, silly.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Hermetic posted:

The only one I can find reliably online is the Army Painter drill. Is it any good?

Yeah its pretty solid, just a basic drill. You should be able to use any bits/rod you want.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
Is there anyone in here currently taking commissions for Privateer Press stuff?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheUnforgiven posted:

UK based but I'm looking into doing a few commissions here and there, and I have always wanted to paint Privateer Press models.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

TheUnforgiven posted:

I do commissions although I haven't painted a whole lot of WM/H stuff, mostly GW.

http://spacewhat.blogspot.com/p/commission-rates.html and you can see stuff I've painted here: https://picasaweb.google.com/dragon.genghis/Miniatures

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I finally finished painting my 1200 point Chaos Space Marine armylist - I went cheap and bought AoBR and the Chaos Battleforce, then painted the non-chaos marines to match and threw some Chaos bits on them. I'm awful at painting faces so I just did them all in red and then drybrushed a bone/flesh color over them for a flayed raw look. Basically these guys are not that well done individually but as an army it's okay and at least the paint isn't disgustingly thick.

My goal was to look like a Space Marine chapter recently converted to Chaos (explaining the marines that are just painted in my colors) and for the color scheme I went with silver, then drybrushed with a neon green to look like they had corroded at the bottom of the ocean for a few decades.

The entire force:

My stand-in Chaos Lord so I will have HQ until Kharn is painted:

You can see Berserkers and a Rhino here! My primary opponent plays Space Wolves so I try to throw some light blue helmets on spikes here and there. The Rhino has one but I think you can't see it here so that was superfluous typing.

Chaos marines led by the converted sergeant from black reach:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Hermetic posted:

I've got some minis on order, and I figure I might as well get used to pinning right off the bat.

However, the P3 Drill I had my eye on seems to be in short supply lately. The only one I can find reliably online is the Army Painter drill. Is it any good? If not, is there some specific drill I SHOULD buy?

Also, are bits pretty much interchangeable between various drills? Like, if I buy the Army Painter drill, can I just buy P3 bit/rod kits?

I use the Citadel pin vise and it's good to me with the P3 pinning kits. On the other hand, there's another goon who posts here with the exact same drill and pinning kit setup and he says the bits just don't fit into the drill. Just so you know.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Some drills have a collet (think thats what its called) that you can flip over to the other side, which has a different size. So that could be the issue.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Both of my random art store brand pin vices (excel, I think?) have two different reversible collets, for four different bit size options that have fit anything I've wanted to use with them. The one not currently in use is stored in the handle. The only complaint I have is that they get a big uncomfortable to use if you're pinning a lot of stuff. Going to pick up a dremel or one of those build-it-yourself tamiya hand drill kits one of these days.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Just got back from my FLGS. When I finish big things I get to put them in our painting display case. Not because I'm any good, but because everything else in there is like 10 years old and not so great.

I got to watch two guys walk up, see my Trygon and say "What a loving travesty" and "that scheme is a piece of poo poo."

I couldn't help myself, so I asked "Aww what's wrong with it?" but he only muttered something under his breath about how much I suck as he walked away.

drat I'm good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

crime fighting hog posted:

Just got back from my FLGS. When I finish big things I get to put them in our painting display case. Not because I'm any good, but because everything else in there is like 10 years old and not so great.

I got to watch two guys walk up, see my Trygon and say "What a loving travesty" and "that scheme is a piece of poo poo."

I couldn't help myself, so I asked "Aww what's wrong with it?" but he only muttered something under his breath about how much I suck as he walked away.

drat I'm good.

who the gently caress said that

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck

Bhyo posted:

UK based but I'm looking into doing a few commissions here and there, and I have always wanted to paint Privateer Press models.

I should have mentioned that I'm US based, so the turn around and shipping would suck. Sorry

Chenghiz posted:

I do commissions although I haven't painted a whole lot of WM/H stuff, mostly GW.

http://spacewhat.blogspot.com/p/commission-rates.html and you can see stuff I've painted here: https://picasaweb.google.com/dragon.genghis/Miniatures

Do you have PMs or is it best to email you through your site?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

S.J. posted:

who the gently caress said that

I forget their names. Mike, I think, who plays Ret? The guy everyone beats the poo poo out of all the time and has nothing painted? The other guy is fat, glasses, stubble, and I think plays Cryx but I ain't sure.

My wife thought it was pretty drat funny too.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I forget their names. Mike, I think, who plays Ret? The guy everyone beats the poo poo out of all the time and has nothing painted? The other guy is fat, glasses, stubble, and I think plays Cryx but I ain't sure.

My wife thought it was pretty drat funny too.

hahaha I'm gonna give them so much poo poo

S.J.
May 19, 2008

S.J. posted:

hahaha I'm gonna give them so much poo poo

seriously though Chris is a spectacular loving painter it just takes him forever to get poo poo done

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Why is your FLGS full of assholes?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

GEMorris posted:

Why is your FLGS full of assholes?

those guys aren't assholes, they probably had no clue who put that thing in there

and to be fair the scheme is a loving travesty even if it's hilarious

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

TheUnforgiven posted:

Do you have PMs or is it best to email you through your site?

I have PMs or you can email me at dragon.genghis at gmail.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Anyone who has a paasche talon airbrush: does the cup lid have an o-ring? mine wont stay on anymore, I think I might have lost the ring (if it had one in the first place).

mike fictitious
Apr 2, 2003

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Hermetic posted:

I have the GaleForce 9 pin vise.

Some people don't like the ball, but I have big hands, so I like the ball. I would imagine it would fit almost any small bit you throw at it.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck

Chenghiz posted:

I have PMs or you can email me at dragon.genghis at gmail.

Email sent.

Thanks!

Milkbags
Mar 7, 2011

by Ozma
So how would I go across assembling a Waaghbanner using little more then a Nobz kit? Does it even contain things for that? I see a few bosspoles but nothing I can accuretly call a waaghbanner

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
People usually stick some Ork icon on a staff for their Waaagh banners. I'm not sure if the Nob kit actually comes with anything like that. Fantasy bitz, vehicle glyphs, or plasticard are usually used.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That last one is great. Decorative, AND practical.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The black orks banner is great, but the corresponding body in the black orks box is holding his other arm up as well. I was trying to put a powerklaw on him and it ended up slightly awkward. Which is just one of the many reasons I dont use those nobz anymore.

It is a really nice looking banner though. The Black Orks kit is a great buy for hard boyz/nobz bitz.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simpo
May 1, 2008
The nobs box comes with a bunch of spare bosspole tops, just stick a couple of top of one of the big choppas and maybe extend the haft a bit.

• Locked thread