Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

I've taken at least eight pages of notes in the in-game journal already and I've just left the first town. I think I'm going to enjoy this game. I'm making an effort to not steal everything that isn't nailed down like in, say, Morrowind. I am the Avatar, after all.

I think you might've misled yourself about the Virtues; large scale theft is right up there with getting shot in the back by Iolo. The thing about U7 (besides it being the best game ever) is that some of the puzzles are drat near ineffable (a certain gold plaque riddle comes to mind), so don't feel too bad about checking in with a walkthrough here and there. When you're done make sure to finish the job with Serpent Isle, which while not nearly as big as Britannia has some great plots and places to see. Oh, see if you can find pdfs of the manuals, like the Fellowship's guide, Dennis Loubet's art is really charming and it always added a lot to the world for me.

Other tips:
Leave the Forge of Virtue expansion for the almost-end unless you want the combat to be completely pointless.
If you've gotten out of the first town, you have a vague idea of where the next major clues are pointing you towards. The trail will lead you to just about everywhere major in the game but it isn't at all necessary to follow them in order. This was back when games were genuinely open-ended.
If you're gonna snap up other people's things, watch out for your companions getting uncomfortable with it. They might just leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lactomangulation
Jan 29, 2009

Fumaofthelake posted:

Just getting started on Resonance of Fate. I mostly want to know if there's any ridiculous arcane stuff I need to do in order to get any special endings/gear/whatever. It's pretty straightforward so far, but thinking back to Valkyrie Profile makes me worry I may miss something big (or small but important). I'm not a huge completionist but I don't want to miss anything too gnarly.

The only big missables are the quests, make sure you do all of them before moving to the next chapter. There really isn't anything like in VP where you have to meet certain conditions.

As for what to buy, early on you should focus on adding charge speed attachments to your weapons (Compact Scope alpha/beta are good), and later on boost charge accel using barrels. You don't need to buy the expensive weapon that's for sale right away.

Combat tips:
For most battles, you should do a hero action that sends one character to the far left corner, and the same with another character to the right corner. Then do a tri-attack. If you want more resonance points, send the 3rd character right between the other 2 (instead of starting a tri-attack), and then next turn send him/her back to the starting position.

Make sure there are no obstacles in your characters' paths before starting a tri-attack. The larger your triangle is, the longer your tri-attack will last. Having more resonance points will make it last even longer.

Jumping before you start an attack is always useful since you get a chance to break off body parts and restore the hero gauge.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Same here, but in addition to that question I'd also like to know some combat tips and what to spend my money on

There is some stuff on the wiki:

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php/Site/ResonanceOfFate

ad homonym posted:

The only big missables are the quests, make sure you do all of them before moving to the next chapter. There really isn't anything like in VP where you have to meet certain conditions.

As for what to buy, early on you should focus on adding charge speed attachments to your weapons (Compact Scope alpha/beta are good), and later on boost charge accel using barrels. You don't need to buy the expensive weapon that's for sale right away.

Combat tips:
For most battles, you should do a hero action that sends one character to the far left corner, and the same with another character to the right corner. Then do a tri-attack. If you want more resonance points, send the 3rd character right between the other 2 (instead of starting a tri-attack), and then next turn send him/her back to the starting position.

Make sure there are no obstacles in your characters' paths before starting a tri-attack. The larger your triangle is, the longer your tri-attack will last. Having more resonance points will make it last even longer.

Jumping before you start an attack is always useful since you get a chance to break off body parts and restore the hero gauge.

Added this to the wiki. Thanks!

ahobday fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 13, 2011

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm finally getting around to checking out Grand Theft Auto 4 for the PC. What tips do you all have? In particular, I'd love to know what the best place to start loving around in during the main storyline is, and I'd like to know what recommended mods are (since I hear there's a lot).

Also, I'm a fairly big completionist -- I've already been told that I should save finding the pigeons until I have the opportunity to get down and get all of them. Anything else I should keep in mind when I'm going for 100%?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I have some more questions about Settlers 2, now that I've started fighting dudes:

What whether or not you're able to attack an enemy military building? Sometimes it says "No attack possible!", even though my nearby guardhouses have soldiers in them.

Why is only 1 soldier sometimes available to attack, when there are a number of guardhouses in the area, all with more than 1 soldier?

Basically, any information on how attacking is supposed to work, would be great.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.
When is the best time to run through the Shivering Isles expansion to Oblivion? Does it matter?

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Lord Nelson posted:

I just purchased Empire: Total War- I played Rome and Medieval II before- any hints or tips that I should know?

A "traditional" way to deploy infantry in previous Total War games is to have them several rows thick. You don't have to do this in Empire. You can stretch your riflemen out to just one line and still be OK.

Don't ever charge infantry head on. If set up properly, they can mow down and rout your cavalry unit in the first burst.

Chain shot stops enemy ships from running away. As long as you fire a bunch of these, you can always catch up to a ship and kite it.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Primitive Screwhead posted:

When is the best time to run through the Shivering Isles expansion to Oblivion? Does it matter?

I believe everything scales so you can technically do it as soon as you leave the intro dungeon, but as with all levelled quest rewards you don't start seeing the strongest versions of most items until level 25-30. So if you really care about maximizing every item you receive, wait till later. And if you don't care about that and you find yourself getting bored with vanilla Oblivion, then just jump in whenever.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I need some advice on the Thief series:

1. I am having an extremely hard time with these controls. I mapped them as best I could and it still feels awkward (I did not have a PC in the FPS golden age). Is there a key configuration that's considered best for the first two games?

2. I mapped the run button to the Shift key and occasionally Garrett gets stuck in a weird auto-run that won't stop unless I load my last save or reload the level. The TTLG FAQ is great, but they did not answer what the problem with that is,

3. I'm currently playing the first game in the series, Thief: The Dark Project and I really hate this tomb-raiding bullshit. I hear Thief II completely gets rid of all that and focuses on open-ended gameplay and actual burglary. Is there any reason I shouldn't skip to Thief II?

4. Is there a mod or something available that fixes the hit detection?

Actual gameplay:

What's the best way to deal with zombies that I can't immediately perma-kill with holy water or fire arrows?

How can I tell if a corpse is a zombie? I know there are really obvious ones, but there are also corpses that don't look like regular zombies and get up and scare the poo poo out of me when I get near them.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Contra Calculus posted:

I need some advice on the Thief series:

1. I am having an extremely hard time with these controls. I mapped them as best I could and it still feels awkward (I did not have a PC in the FPS golden age). Is there a key configuration that's considered best for the first two games?

2. I mapped the run button to the Shift key and occasionally Garrett gets stuck in a weird auto-run that won't stop unless I load my last save or reload the level. The TTLG FAQ is great, but they did not answer what the problem with that is,

3. I'm currently playing the first game in the series, Thief: The Dark Project and I really hate this tomb-raiding bullshit. I hear Thief II completely gets rid of all that and focuses on open-ended gameplay and actual burglary. Is there any reason I shouldn't skip to Thief II?

4. Is there a mod or something available that fixes the hit detection?

Actual gameplay:

What's the best way to deal with zombies that I can't immediately perma-kill with holy water or fire arrows?

How can I tell if a corpse is a zombie? I know there are really obvious ones, but there are also corpses that don't look like regular zombies and get up and scare the poo poo out of me when I get near them.

1. Default works okay for me, just make sure to bind flash bombs to a quick key.

2. Yeah I had this bug too, reload when it happens

3. If you really don't like Thief 1, you can skip to 2 directly. Thief 1 is mostly about raiding tombs and haunted places. Thief 2 gets rid of that, and is about robbing mansions. I personally prefer the first one. In my opinion, play through Down in the Bonehoard (4th level) and see if you like it before moving onto Thief 2.

4. There's no problem with hit detection in the game?

Best way to deal with zombies? Run away. You won't have enough holy water / fire arrows to clear everything.

Counter question: What OS and processor are you using? I can't get these drat games working.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Skilleddk posted:

4. There's no problem with hit detection in the game?

Isn't it huge boxes in Thief 1?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

flatluigi posted:

I'm finally getting around to checking out Grand Theft Auto 4 for the PC. What tips do you all have?
Turn off the cellphone if people are pestering you to go play pool or whatever.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

flatluigi posted:

I'm finally getting around to checking out Grand Theft Auto 4 for the PC. What tips do you all have? In particular, I'd love to know what the best place to start loving around in during the main storyline is, and I'd like to know what recommended mods are (since I hear there's a lot).

Also, I'm a fairly big completionist -- I've already been told that I should save finding the pigeons until I have the opportunity to get down and get all of them. Anything else I should keep in mind when I'm going for 100%?

I think it's on the wiki, but if you agree to go bowling/see beeg american tee tees/whatever and then call whoever it is back and cancel you don't get a penalty like you would for saying no. You should have your cell phone on sleep whenever you're dicking around, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you're playing GTA4 then you should befriend the lawyer and the Hispanic nurse (forgot their names but they're the only date-able women on the internet website). One will remove all stars and the other instantly heals you when you call them. They're invaluable late game when you're forced to do missions in a lovely car with a ton of cops chasing after you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

al-azad posted:

One will remove all stars
Three, actually. Doing a favor for a certain cop allows you to remove all the stars.

Also, I don't know about other friends, but I'm pretty sure Brucey gets annoyed if you cancel on him.

In other news, the Comet is the best semi-common car for just hauling rear end somewhere while still being maneuverable and the molotov cocktails are actually superior to grenades in terms of taking people out quickly and efficiently (watch out for the flames though, getting lit on fire really sucks)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As annoying as their constant requests are it's a good idea to entertain your friends until you unlock their special abilities. Little Jacob gives you a portable weapon shop, Brucey airlifts you around town, Roman gives you a cab that'll appear anywhere, and so on. They're all good to have.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Skilleddk posted:

Counter question: What OS and processor are you using? I can't get these drat games working.

Windows 7 and AMD Athlon Phenom X4.

It took me a while to get it working, but I followed this FAQ and I eventually got the drat thing working. If you have a multi-core processor, make sure you set the affinity to just one or else it will just crash. It's an old game so I wouldn't imagine a dual-core 2.0 gHz processor would have problems running it on just one core.

Thanks for the advice by the way, I'll man up and stick to The Dark Project until I'm finished.

Also, about the hit detection: that's just me being really lovely at videogames. I always try to hit them from too far back.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Captain Novolin posted:

I think it's on the wiki, but if you agree to go bowling/see beeg american tee tees/whatever and then call whoever it is back and cancel you don't get a penalty like you would for saying no. You should have your cell phone on sleep whenever you're dicking around, though.
There's some mod floating around that changes the game clock to real time. A side effect of this is that you have (real) hours to do friend missions if you want.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I just picked up Torchlight for the XBLA. I searched the thread and all the advice pertains to mods that I can't use. Does anyone have any gameplay advice other than to play it on very hard?

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I snagged Nier last night on the way home from work. Im a couple of hours in and Im enjoying it so for. Anything I should focus on doing/not doing?

Staying out of the LP thread has been priority one. :v:

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Gray Stormy posted:

I snagged Nier last night on the way home from work. Im a couple of hours in and Im enjoying it so for. Anything I should focus on doing/not doing?

If a sidequest feels like it'll be a pain in the rear end, just ignore it. If you are lost during a storyline mission, the red X will always point at the right direction. And you can swing your sword at magic projectiles, I did not figure this out until after finishing the game but apparently it's common knowledge. :confused:
Be sure to play through at least twice, and for the love of god, do not spoil the plot for yourself.

junan_paalla fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 15, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

3. If you really don't like Thief 1, you can skip to 2 directly. Thief 1 is mostly about raiding tombs and haunted places. Thief 2 gets rid of that, and is about robbing mansions. I personally prefer the first one. In my opinion, play through Down in the Bonehoard (4th level) and see if you like it before moving onto Thief 2.

:stare:

Depending on how you count, of Thief's 15 missions, between 3 and 6 of them are "tombs and haunted places". This is still arguably too many, considering that undead and monsters aren't nearly as fun to deal with as human guards (and as a result these tend to be the weakest levels in the game), but to say that the game is "mostly" about that is crazy. Lord Bafford's Manor and Break from Cragscleft Prison (the two levels immediately preceding Bonehoard) - or Assassins and Thieves' Guild, the two levels immediately after - are much more representative of the game as a whole.

Also, while Thief 2 is probably better about this overall, for the most part it just replaces the undead with robots and makes them ubiquitous - and it has its share of "gimmick levels" like Trace the Courier/Trail of Blood and Precious Cargo/Kidnap. In other words, statements like "Thief II completely gets rid of all that and focuses on open-ended gameplay and actual burglary" are flat out wrong (both in the implication that TDP didn't have a heavy emphasis on that to begin with, and that TMA has a greater emphasis than TDP in those regards).

Basically, the Thief games like to mix up both what you're doing and what you're facing. One level you're looting some corpulent noble's coffers; the next you're trying to escape from a police crackdown; and after that you're trying to sneak on board a cargo ship so you can find out where it's going. If you're just looking for a series of "here is a mansion, break into it and steal everything that isn't nailed down" levels, none of the Thief games are what you're after.

Contra Calculus posted:

Don't know if this helps at all, but my keybindings are:

WASD - move
QE - lean
space - jump/mantle
shift - crouch
ctrl - run
Z - hide weapon
X - hide item
CV - switch items
1-0 - select weapons/arrows
F1-F12 - select items
tab - map/objectives

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

ToxicFrog posted:

WASD - move
QE - lean
space - jump/mantle
shift - crouch
ctrl - run
Z - hide weapon
X - hide item
CV - switch items
1-0 - select weapons/arrows
F1-F12 - select items
tab - map/objectives

This helped immensely actually. What do you have set as 'toggle speed'?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MussoliniB posted:

I just picked up Torchlight for the XBLA. I searched the thread and all the advice pertains to mods that I can't use. Does anyone have any gameplay advice other than to play it on very hard?

Play on hard and enchant poo poo. The game Is too easy on normal and item drops are always worthless. Find an item you like, sell everything else, then enchant it up.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Gray Stormy posted:

If you're obsessive about getting trophies this game will do everything in it's power to break you from your compulsion. That said, if you are set on getting everything, make sure your quest completion percent is at 51% before you move on to the (very clearly defined) second half of the game.

You cannot permanently miss any weapons in the game, so do not panic if you think you forgot one.

The Red X points the way. If you are having trouble fishing it's probably because you're not at the Red X.

You have not really finished the game until you get Ending B. Also, on your B run, just because a scene looks familiar or you can kill a boss in ten seconds doesn't mean you should power through it. Take your time with them, enjoy the extra scenes, there is far more to B than just a new ending.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Contra Calculus posted:

This helped immensely actually. What do you have set as 'toggle speed'?

Probably capslock, but I almost never toggle speed - I walk most of the time and run only in short bursts. If I did I'd probably bind it to alt (or bind it to ctrl and stop using hold-to-run entirely).

Also, forgot to mention some other binds (which I don't use as much)

F - toggle crouch
R - drop item

And the mouse:

left - attack
right - frob

Which I'm pretty sure are the defaults.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 16, 2011

STFU Pumpkinhead
Jun 25, 2000

Any suggestions for Singularity? Anything in particular I should upgrade?

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I've already played it a few times, but this thread seems like the most appropriate place for this question: what should I know about playing Civilization IV? I understand the basics but I've never played any other strategy games, so I don't have any clue how to go about... well, strategizing. How many cities should I make, what should I research and in what order, what units do I build, how do I fight a war, it's all a mystery to me. And I know there's no failsafe strategy in a game like this, which makes it even more daunting.

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007
Picked up Majesty 2 on the Steam sale. Neat idea for a game, albeit incredibly rough around the edges. Anything I should know about it in general? I've also got some more specific questions.

I've played a few campaign missions so far and one thing that drives me nuts is that there are constantly monsters in my town. I see the sewer entrances they come out of, but it says I can't destroy those. Best I've come up with is to put Guard Towers around them, but that gets expensive since each one costs more than the last. The monsters don't seem to ever actually hurt my economy in a significant way, but the constant red circles on the minimap are seriously annoying.

Also, there's no way to make it so only certain types of heroes go after a flag, is there? I'm thinking of stage 4 or 5 when you have to take out that castle with all the mage towers around it. The answer's pretty clearly to send Dwarves at it, but since I can't specify all I can do is watch everyone else rush it and get slaughtered while waiting for the Dwarves to wander over and do their thing. I won handily, but it seemed really absurd and would have been a problem if that wasn't the end of the mission.

Finally, what's the benefit of parties? Guys already seem to cooperate just fine on their own if they're in the same area. For how difficult it seems to be to corral the guys I want near the same Inn it really doesn't seem worthwhile.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Khurath posted:

Picked up Majesty 2 on the Steam sale. Neat idea for a game, albeit incredibly rough around the edges. Anything I should know about it in general? I've also got some more specific questions.

I've played a few campaign missions so far and one thing that drives me nuts is that there are constantly monsters in my town. I see the sewer entrances they come out of, but it says I can't destroy those. Best I've come up with is to put Guard Towers around them, but that gets expensive since each one costs more than the last. The monsters don't seem to ever actually hurt my economy in a significant way, but the constant red circles on the minimap are seriously annoying.

Also, there's no way to make it so only certain types of heroes go after a flag, is there? I'm thinking of stage 4 or 5 when you have to take out that castle with all the mage towers around it. The answer's pretty clearly to send Dwarves at it, but since I can't specify all I can do is watch everyone else rush it and get slaughtered while waiting for the Dwarves to wander over and do their thing. I won handily, but it seemed really absurd and would have been a problem if that wasn't the end of the mission.

Finally, what's the benefit of parties? Guys already seem to cooperate just fine on their own if they're in the same area. For how difficult it seems to be to corral the guys I want near the same Inn it really doesn't seem worthwhile.

You're right in that you need to put guard towers up around the sewer gates, you can't close them. It's also easy experience for low-level heroes, if you have money, put up some defend flags on those towers.

In the final mission, you HAVE to build all the temples immediately. They hint that it will help, if you don't do it within the first 5-10 minutes, you will lose the round.

You can't specify what types of heroes will go after a flag, but certain types are more attracted to flags than others. But if you have a major thing to take out, honestly, just throw a ton of money at it and let everyone go after it. Try to pick off defensive structures or non-respawning enemies first, and definitely take out any spawn buildings. The game has an inverse difficulty curve, where the beginning of each stage is the hardest, and as you spread out and take out buildings, it becomes progressively easier as you face less and less pressure from attacks.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

Any suggestions for Singularity? Anything in particular I should upgrade?
Almost all the upgrades fit in the category of "big fuckin' deal". Do what you want, really. For TMD equipment, I used Scientist to get maaaybe double tech pickups(I couldn't tell if it worked) for a long time, then equipped "Health on kills" and "TMD energy on kills" to become a mostly unstoppable killing machine of murderous deathocide. Other than that, I got all the health and some of the TMD energy extensions, and all of the melee and ranged armor upgrades. For weapons, I just increased damage only(I don't know if it worked), and an extended clip upgrade for the shotgun for the gently caress of it. Really though, most of the upgrades in this game are dumb - just go shoot and magic-punch people into disconnected pieces; it's not a terribly difficult game(it's reasonably fun though).

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I'm just starting on Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, I've only played 1 (and not completed it, just got close to the end) and I've started on normal and have just gotten to the bit where you choose your character, which is recommended for your first playthrough? Anything else I should know about the game?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

al-azad posted:

Play on hard and enchant . The game Is too easy on normal and item drops are always worthless. Find an item you like, sell everything else, then enchant it up.

Item drops are not always worthless. I've had plenty which are excellent even without being enchanted. Of course enchanting is the way to go with all items you want to keep and I concur with the rest of what he said.

Here are some weapons to watch out for that you should probably keep for a destroyer.

Meteoric Flamberge (Great weapon to use early on)
Scout's Shovel (A starter weapon with no level requirement)
Double Damage Axe! (Another starter weapon)

From my experience it seems very hard to come by good Vanquisher weapons, so don't expect many drops. Alchemist weapons are abundant.

Be sure to always check the shops in town for new stock, they change all the time and you may find something really good.

This website is a very good database for loot information: http://www.torchlightarmory.com/

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

al-azad posted:

If you're playing GTA4 then you should befriend the lawyer and the Hispanic nurse (forgot their names but they're the only date-able women on the internet website). One will remove all stars and the other instantly heals you when you call them. They're invaluable late game when you're forced to do missions in a lovely car with a ton of cops chasing after you.

While I'd agree that friendship bonuses are worth it, the two women you can meet from the dating website are tougher to keep happy, especially if you're dating them at the same time. Almost every time you use their perk, you'll need to go on another date to reset it.

As previously mentioned, only 3 stars are taken off your wanted meter. In addition, this ability is sometimes denied by plot missions. This means you're only guaranteed the 3 star bribe while free roaming.

Another downside is that you have to stay on the line with them for a certain amount of time until the conversation grants you either of these perks. This can be difficult when you need to run, jump, climb, swim, when someone is shooting at you or any combination of these (taking a bullet will end the call).

I'd say just pick the nurse, because it's useful when dealing with gangs as well as police. I gave up dating them after a while and just learned where all the body armour and health kits were in the city (While the in game website whattheydonotwantyoutoknow.com shows you where all free items are, you may want a hard copy (or the real internet) sitting beside you while you play.).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gray Stormy posted:

You can hold the jump button while climbing ladders to climb them a little bit faster. You're still pretty slow, but not as excruciatingly slow as you are trying to climb it the normal way.

And yeah, echoing what everyone else said about beating the game twice and taking your time to watch the extra cut scenes and let the boss battles play out. I just recently beat it twice myself and without spoiling anything, I'll just say that it's worth the time it takes to watch all the new stuff. It um...yeah, it's worth it.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 17, 2011

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oh, one more GTA thing - If you ever want to take away a major wanted level for an achievement or a mission (besides going to a pay and spray, obviously) taking a motorcycle into the train tunnels will do it every single time.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Luminaflare posted:

I'm just starting on Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, I've only played 1 (and not completed it, just got close to the end) and I've started on normal and have just gotten to the bit where you choose your character, which is recommended for your first playthrough? Anything else I should know about the game?

You should go in the order the game shows. Aqua is by far the best character and should be saved for last. You learn abilities by combining attacks/magic and adding crystals. Most are pretty basic like Cure + Cure = Cura. Once you master the spell you would learn any ability you added with a crystal. Unless you use a FAQ to see what crystal gives you what ability when added to that specific combination you'll be doing a lot of experimenting.

Jarrik
Oct 22, 2005

The devil inside
The devil inside
Every single one of us
the devil inside
Just got Temple of Elemental Evil from GOG. My D&D crpg experience is mostly SSI gold box games and Baldur's Gate - anything I should keep an eye out for? I know it's 3.5 rules so any specific advice on party balance etc would be helpful.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Temple of Elemental Evil is probably the most accurate representation of 3.5 rules, to a really in-depth level - remember your 5-foot-steps and your attacks of opportunity and everything that gets obscured out from Baldur's Gate or else you're liable to get slaughtered. Max level is 10 and there's no prestige classes, so when you're thinking about builds take that into account. Otherwise, the game is pretty good about giving you different ways to continue and is relatively freeform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Jarrik posted:

Just got Temple of Elemental Evil from GOG. My D&D crpg experience is mostly SSI gold box games and Baldur's Gate - anything I should keep an eye out for? I know it's 3.5 rules so any specific advice on party balance etc would be helpful.

It's fun, but it's buggy as all hell. Check this site out, they have done some pretty major changes to the game with fanpatches and such. I just got it myself so I can't comment on much else though.

http://www.co8.org/forum/