Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

unknown poster posted:

They made those in a Turbo?!

Yeah- 4.2L Factory turbo motor. Only downside is you dont get the solid front axle and have to live with IFS.

And they are $20K more 2nd hand than either the 4.7L V8 or 4.2 NA diesel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

DropShadow posted:

Well, if you didn't like my last wheel setup (and a few here did not), then you might not like the new wheels. Same design, machined finish instead of painted silver.
I did, and I do.

quote:

edit: I also had an S-line front bumper put on, and had the grill and filler plate painted brilliant black to match. Did that a couple weeks back and forgot to post a pic. Hard to tell on a black car, but here it is.

Painting the grille and filler plate is a nice, subtle touch.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ferremit posted:

Yeah- 4.2L Factory turbo motor. Only downside is you dont get the solid front axle and have to live with IFS.

Was that a packaging issue, or random decision on Toyota's part?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I have no idea why its been done like that- Theres technically "two" 100 series cruisers- The 100 series, which is all IFS and has either the 4.2TD or 4.7 V8, or the 105, which has a solid front axle, 4.2D or 4.5 straight six petrol.

The 105 chassis is pretty much a direct carry over from the previous generation cruiser, the 80 series, and they came with the 1HD-FT motor, which is essentially the 4.2TD motor from the 100 series minus intercooler and Electronic controls.

the 1HD-FTE from the 100 series certainly fits the 105 series chassis- there's a fair few guys running around with them fitted now, but as for why toyota didnt do it factory, i have no idea.

Hell, you can fit the big 90o 4.5L V8 diesel from the latest 70 series utes into a 105 series with some care, and thats the same width as a Chev diesel!

The IFS front end is a HELL of a lot nicer on the road and rough back roads than the solid axle tho- Rack and Peanut steering vs recirc ball and a few other things make em a lot easier to pilot.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I guess the thinking was the simpler engine and suspension setup should go together for harsh conditions (like Africa) and the more complex engine and suspension should go together for more moderate conditions (like Europe and Japan).

Its a bit weird that Australia got both, but I guess it makes sense given some are going to end up in the cities and others way out in much rougher areas.

There are actually a whole lot of ex-Australia 105s for sale in New Zealand - really basic compared to most of the 100s

ex Australia 105 - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Toyota/Land/auction-348403220.htm
Cheapest 100 with mega mileage - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Toyota/landcruiser/auction-359501602.htm (talk about retained value, a Range Rover that old is worth perhaps $10k with <100,000kms)

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Money-shifted it trying to goose-it onto the M4. Fortunately the ratios are stacked so closely that by my estimate the engine only span up to about 8k RPM, but still. Not looking forward to the glitter I'm expecting to come out of the pan when I give it an oil change.

Don't hate me car. :ohdear:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

dissss posted:

I guess the thinking was the simpler engine and suspension setup should go together for harsh conditions (like Africa) and the more complex engine and suspension should go together for more moderate conditions (like Europe and Japan).

Its a bit weird that Australia got both, but I guess it makes sense given some are going to end up in the cities and others way out in much rougher areas.

There are actually a whole lot of ex-Australia 105s for sale in New Zealand - really basic compared to most of the 100s

ex Australia 105 - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Toyota/Land/auction-348403220.htm
Cheapest 100 with mega mileage - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Toyota/landcruiser/auction-359501602.htm (talk about retained value, a Range Rover that old is worth perhaps $10k with <100,000kms)

yeah- you get some WIERD vehicle configurations coming out of toyota when you look at their 4wd's.

The 76 series wagon for example.

In Australia, its offered with one motor. The 1VD-FTV 4.5L V8 Turbo Diesel

South africa its the 1HZ 4.2L Natural Athsmatic diesel.

UAE gets a 1FZ-FE 4.5L EFI Twincam I6 petrol!

All in the same chassis!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

jammyozzy posted:

Money-shifted it trying to goose-it onto the M4. Fortunately the ratios are stacked so closely that by my estimate the engine only span up to about 8k RPM, but still. Not looking forward to the glitter I'm expecting to come out of the pan when I give it an oil change.

Don't hate me car. :ohdear:

As long as it's still running you didn't kill anything.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
"Not a murderer, just a rapist."

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If I had hosed something up big-time the irony wouldn't have been lost. I just spent a week and a half getting the brake system together and bought it nice new tyres. It's also almost exactly a year to the day of my first ever car accident, a car I'd just spent weeks diagnosing bullshit problems on.

loving March. :suicide:

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Replaced the automatic choke pulldown unit in my '89 Golf (2E2 carb). It's starting smoothly now, with no misfires :)

(I'm sort of an automotive babby, so this feels like a big deal)

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Ahaha, my clutch started slipping today. At least I didn't pop the engine, although in a FWD econobox it might be an easier swap.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

krnhotwings posted:

Hit 250,000 on my '96 Camry..

Now is time to sell it on craigslist for $9000.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
After a huge water blister formed under my paint, I had to pop it. It was calling out to me. Caused this to the paint:

Not caring about this car (I mean, you can still see the half-finished patch on the center of the hood), I just peeled back all the paint, scuffed it with a fine-ish grit, and gave it 3 coats of spray paint. Came out really well, to my surprise:

It beaded that rain pretty well.

The color doesn't look nearly as off in real life. There's only one Ford white paint at Autozone, and that one was worse. This is some GM white that's a bit closer.

I wish I lived in a better neighborhood in Boston; I could scandalize more yuppies and alienate more hipsters that way.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Finished the timing belt/water pump on my 92 Accord on Monday. Not too bad but the crankshaft bolt took the 50mm lock piece, 2 breakers, 16" of 1/2 extension, 3 patio pavers, an extra jackstand, a 4' cheater bar, and a fat guy to pop.
Tomorrow the lifters come off because the spark plugs were dripping with oil. Got some gaskets to change.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Replaced the speedo gear, put in a new oil pressure sending unit, a new steering stabilizer, some headlights and motor mounts. If UPS would bring my drat coils I could do my lift...

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

kimbo305 posted:

After a huge water blister formed under my paint, I had to pop it. It was calling out to me. Caused this to the paint:

Not caring about this car (I mean, you can still see the half-finished patch on the center of the hood), I just peeled back all the paint, scuffed it with a fine-ish grit, and gave it 3 coats of spray paint. Came out really well, to my surprise:

It beaded that rain pretty well.

The color doesn't look nearly as off in real life. There's only one Ford white paint at Autozone, and that one was worse. This is some GM white that's a bit closer.

I wish I lived in a better neighborhood in Boston; I could scandalize more yuppies and alienate more hipsters that way.

I'm pretty sure the color you need is "performance white" My Grand Marquis is the same color. It also suffers from an awesome factory paint application. The paint chipped away from the C pillar on both sides. the first time I touched it up I used the wrong color and it looked like poo poo, recently I went back and sanded it down where it chipped and hit it with three coats of paint. You really can't tell from 10 feet away which makes me happy.

How are the bottoms of your doors? three of mine had rust, I hit it with 60 grit and some naval jelly and primed and painted them but I think its rusting from the inside. Hopefully what I did will at least slow it down.

I do love thease cars though, even with gas as high as it is. They're so loving comfortable!

Huggable Bear King fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 18, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Huggable Bear King posted:

I'm pretty sure the color you need is "performance white" My Grand Marquis is the same color.

How are the bottoms of your doors? three of mine had rust, I hit it with 60 grit and some naval jelly and primed and painted them but I think its rusting from the inside. Hopefully what I did will at least slow it down.

There's not really any rust on this car, which is surprising, given its use for over 130k by some NH police department, and then 50k more by the really shady PO who put that mileage on in 8 months, driving all over New England.

When I got it, there were patches of exposed body metal all over that had no rust on them. The quality of modern car metals, I guess.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The bigger/nicer domestic cars have been made of galvanized metal for a while. It took the Japanese a lot longer to figure this out. See: 1990s Hondas that run forever but rust away into nothing.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Added some "character" to my 300cd's leather driver's seat by being too aggressive with a Leatherique treatment. Thought I was removing dirt... That seat needs to be redyed anyway due to bolster wear.

I figured out how to get the quarter windows down for the first time, all it takes is one's entire body weight pushing down on the window! Now for the fun of fixing the quarter windows so I can break them again. This car is on its fourth driver's window regulator.

The W123 looks a little goofy as a hardtop coupe. I think it's because I expect the hood to be a mile long as per American hardtop coupes of the same era.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
*Re-RTVed my oil pan. gently caress YOU SLOW DRIP!
*Randomly got paranoid and put 2 extra pairs of jackstands under my car.
*Regreased, and rebooted both driveshafts.
*Replaced the O-Rings on the oil cooler adapter. gently caress YOU TOO AS A PRECAUTION!
*Tore off the old busted transmission, its easy when you dont' care about it.
*Stripped every single mounting bolt on the old transmission with my first ever impact gun try to transplant the mounts. Ugh..
*Replaced the flywheel, clutch and PP. Threadlocked the poo poo out of the flywheel and PP bolts, don't need a 10lb piece of chromoly flying through the passenger cab at a billion rpm straight into my spine.
*Biceped my new transmission on with some help from a friend. I feel fat and old, I was able to chest lift a Getrag 3500 onto my old truck by myself 7 years ago and now I can't even lift the tiny little C52 without my arms going all noodle.
*Wept when I saw my torque mounts where torn and less than 2 years old.

My poor MR2 looks so sad and oily. There is brake cleaner in my screwdriver wounds. :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MATLAB 1988 posted:

The W123 looks a little goofy as a hardtop coupe.

I think the proportions are superior to its contemporary hardtops.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Good: Rebled the brakes on my mother-in-law's '98 Camry so I can sell it. Brakes feel perfect now.

Bad: MOTHERFUCKING CLUTCH STARTED SLIPPING gently caress THIS loving PIECE OF poo poo CAR :flame:

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Good: Rebled the brakes on my mother-in-law's '98 Camry so I can sell it. Brakes feel perfect now.

Bad: MOTHERFUCKING CLUTCH STARTED SLIPPING gently caress THIS loving PIECE OF poo poo CAR :flame:

Well, it's a camry so you can just take a gamble on the prospective buyer probably not knowing what a clutch is.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I can also hope they drive like my mother in law does. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been like this for at least 5000 miles; she rarely goes harder than 1/3 throttle, and the clutch still holds for that.

Can't decide if it's just worn out at 140k, or if it's a combination of wear and contamination. The loving thing is leaking both engine oil and transmission oil, so either one could be all over it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

This is how my day's been going.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klqNUY1cDAg
About 20 minutes after disassembling both sides, taking out the backing plates and hammering the star adjuster holes flat and welding a ring around them so they don't tear out anymore, I got a gigantic headache and nearly passed out in the garage.
I'm assuming the fumes got to me.

:v:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Finished putting the motor back in the Miata so I could autocross it tomorrow. Went to start the F150 so I could get the Miata out of the garage.

gently caress, cranks but doesn't fire up now. Has spark, don't think it has fuel (dry plugs after a minute or two of cranking). It'll fire one or two cylinders once after sitting for ~30 mins to an hour after a start attempt. Leaning towards hosed fuel pump. However, I threw a scope on one of the injector plugs though and didn't see any kind of signal.

Luckily the Miata is a Miata and I was able to back it out of the other garage bay (two car garage with two doors).

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Picked up a set of projector housings, now I just need to find all the right ballasts and harnesses.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Cleaned the hell out of my girlfriend's car. Somehow, she literally has three layers of floormats in the car (OEM, two sets of aftermarket rubber all-weather ones stacked on top) and all three plus the carpet underneath were filthy. I blame her mother who owned the car previously and often uses it to move dogs around.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DropShadow posted:

Picked up a set of projector housings, now I just need to find all the right ballasts and harnesses.

Please tell me these are factory HID housings...

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Look like it to me.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Washed, claybarred, washed, waxed, washed my '09 MX-5. It was a beautiful day and I loved every minute of it.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Geoj posted:

Please tell me these are factory HID housings...

They are OE. My car came with halogen lights in reflector housings. I could have gone the cheap route and just put a set of DDM HIDs in, but then I'd be blinding everyone else on the road. I hadn't planned to do the conversion for a while, but I came across these at a price I couldn't pass up. Now I just need the rest of the parts to make it happen. Can't decide if I want to clear corner them or not.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Do the halogen cars have the leveler on the rear suspension, or is that something that will have to be installed?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

DogDodger posted:

Do the halogen cars have the leveler on the rear suspension, or is that something that will have to be installed?

No, they don't. The projectors have it built-in, I'm told. It's all greek to me right now. I had no idea it was going to be this involved to make the switch. It might be a while before all the pieces come together. And then I get to pull the front bumper off again to install everything!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DropShadow posted:

They are OE. My car came with halogen lights in reflector housings. I could have gone the cheap route and just put a set of DDM HIDs in, but then I'd be blinding everyone else on the road.

So wait - are they HID from the factory or are you retrofitting HID bulbs into a set of halogen projectors? Because all of the things that make retrofitting HIDs into reflectors fail also apply in projectors.

As far as auto-levelers are concerned AFAIK they are not required by the DOT. I have a set of factory HIDs in my Focus and they lack any type of automatic leveling system.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Geoj posted:

So wait - are they HID from the factory or are you retrofitting HID bulbs into a set of halogen projectors? Because all of the things that make retrofitting HIDs into reflectors fail also apply in projectors.

As far as auto-levelers are concerned AFAIK they are not required by the DOT. I have a set of factory HIDs in my Focus and they lack any type of automatic leveling system.

My car currently has halogens in reflector housings. These are OE HID projector housings, into which I am putting OE bixenon bulbs and ballasts. It will be as if the car came from the factory with HIDs, which is one of the main things I missed from my last car, which had a great headlights.

edit: Technically it's the housing that makes it "bixenon" by electromagnetically moving a little metal flap in front of the bulb.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 20, 2011

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Installed a 3-inch straight pipe, along with an AEM wideband gauge. Car is now loud as gently caress, it also get pig-rich misfires at the open-loop switchover, worse than stock. My AFC should ship out soon to fix the latter issue, I'm waiting for Corksport to send the silencer once they make it (apparently they have to harvest the raw ore by hand or something).

Next up: aluminum intake pipes and any SMIC other than the stock one.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Installed SLP Firehawk springs on my G8 GT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I detailed the poo poo out of it. Still have some minor imperfections to deal with in a few spots, but it looks 100% better than it did before.