Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Working on the new version of AAS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYyi4n3KXxk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
where did you get the on-screen stats shown to the right of your hud?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

nickhimself posted:

where did you get the on-screen stats shown to the right of your hud?

That's probably the primary needs HUD.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
While we (and by we I mean "I") are talking about World of Pain, is there anything similar like that for Fallout 3? I'm not seeing anything that adds that much extra, at least in one mod.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Brian Fellows posted:

While we (and by we I mean "I") are talking about World of Pain, is there anything similar like that for Fallout 3? I'm not seeing anything that adds that much extra, at least in one mod.

DCInteriors, maybe?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Brian Fellows posted:

You know, maybe my standards are a little higher but what I've played of WoP, I'm not all that impressed. Seems like a dude with a reasonable amount of skill with GECK who just shoved as much poo poo into one ESP as he could and released it with little to no testing or effort beyond that. That giant endless dungeon that spans the entire state of Nevada he made is just a shade of this side of ridiculous too. I think I'd appreciate it more if he focused on making it more of a quest mod and less of a 'shove poo poo into every empty space I can find before other mods do' kind of mod.

edit:

Probably going to be the new SR-25. Now that I have more free time, I'm going back and fixing some of the stuff I was never happy with. The SR-25 was right at the top of that, haha. Fair enough to say that the old one was pretty much a quick and dirty prototype. Better, yes?

Naky fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 15, 2011

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
This looks pretty awesome, even though sadly I kinda meet these high level weapons rarely in the game, I don't think I've seen a single sniper rifle yet. I also wish there was a version of better living through chems that was compatible with imp's more complex needs, or at least wearable cigs. I've seen the mod for useable cigarettes on the nexus, but it adds too much stuff I don't want.

I'm also amazed how awesome the engine can look sometimes, when it wants:

I also really wish they would've written in ED-E as a Protectron. (I know I can easily change that but eh, wouldn't fit to the whole that is him as he was written) I always had a real soft spot for these useless little fellas. :3:

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 15, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Brian Fellows posted:

The original DCinteriors author is getting close to releasing an initial build of his NVinteriors mod. I'll post it on this thread when I find out it's released.

Police Automaton posted:

*load save*

(Quiet, scenic morning in the DC Wastelands)

*loud loving crash as a Protectron falls from the clouds*

There's a part of me that misses seeing Protectron ragdolls karma the gently caress out. Occasionally you'd catch one off in the distance, boomeranging into the stratosphere.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Naky posted:

You know, maybe my standards are a little higher but what I've played of WoP, I'm not all that impressed. Seems like a dude with a reasonable amount of skill with GECK who just shoved as much poo poo into one ESP as he could and released it with little to no testing or effort beyond that. That giant endless dungeon that spans the entire state of Nevada he made is just a shade of this side of ridiculous too. I think I'd appreciate it more if he focused on making it more of a quest mod and less of a 'shove poo poo into every empty space I can find before other mods do' kind of mod.

IMO, it’s a little unfair to criticize AWOP for spanning “the entire state of Nevada” given how utterly out of scale the FONV world is.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Terpfen posted:

IMO, it’s a little unfair to criticize AWOP for spanning “the entire state of Nevada” given how utterly out of scale the FONV world is.

Oh I know, it's just that giant rear end endless interconnecting dungeon he has under Vegas is pretty crazy and the exits out of it are extremely few and far between.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Is it just me or on the whole are there a lot less robots in NV than there were in F3?

And speaking of robots, did RobCo Certified get ported over to NV?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Well FO3 had a RobCo factory right there, along with being an important strategic and well-developed region. The number and distribution seem good in NV, but you definitely run into fewer overall I'd say.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Naky posted:

Oh I know, it's just that giant rear end endless interconnecting dungeon he has under Vegas is pretty crazy and the exits out of it are extremely few and far between.

I've done a few play-throughs with WOP but I'm not sure what endless dungeon you guys mean. What's it called in the game?

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
It's called 'the underground'. If you do the gecko/radscorpion quest for Frankie in Goodsprings, he gives you a key to a nearby entrance. It's a pretty huge dungeon, especially now after the guy updated it, there's entrances all over the map and tons of poo poo inside.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Well, I was inspired to go back and play through the Dunwich Building of Fallout 3 yesterday due to the H.P Lovecraft reference, and I gotta say. Fallout 3 is the better game [[[FLAME SHIELD RAISED]]].

Heres my Load Order:

Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
RH_IRONSIGHTS.esm
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm
CT_FalloutAdvanced.esm
Project Beauty.esm
Xepha's Dynamic Weather.esm
DCInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
RTS NW.esm
CT_FalloutAdvanced - DLC Anchorage.esp
CT_FalloutAdvanced - DLC Broken Steel.esp
CT_FalloutAdvanced - DLC The Pitt.esp
CT_FalloutAdvanced - DLC Point Lookout.esp
RH_IronSights_Basic_VanillaPlugin.esp
RH_IronSights_Basic_PittPlugin.esp
RH_IronSights_Basic_BrokenSteelPlugin.esp
RH_IronSights_Basic_PointLookoutPlugin.esp
RH_IronSights_Basic_AnchoragePlugin.esp
RH_IronSights_Pitt_NewRifleSights.esp
RH_IronSights_PL_NewItems.esp
RH_IronSights_RemoveReticule.esp
RH_IronSights_PL_HatAndShotgun.esp
Project Beauty- Broken Steel.esp
Project Beauty- Point Lookout.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Main.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Anchorage.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - The Pitt.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Broken Steel.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Point Lookout.esp
Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Sandstorm.esp
Savage Wasteland - Fewer Gun Wielding Maniacs.esp
SavageWasteland_UnfoundLoot_1_3.esp
Sensible Dismemberment.esp
Realistic Death Physics.esp
No_Vats.esp
NightVisionPerkDynamic.esp
dD-Smaller Spatters.esp
dD-Smaller Wounds.esp
NoFastTravel.esp
NoAutoAim.esp
DoubleShotgunTweak.esp
CEI - CaesarrulezExcessiveInteriorsEN.esp
Attentater's Wasteland Economy.esp
FLAK.esp
RZW_PortableBearTraps.esp
Scopeless44s.esp
1PipboyPDA.esp
VashDeagleV5.esp
MPammo.esp
SuperPerfectMutants.esp
MTC Wasteland Travellers.esp
MTC Wasteland Travellers (Optional)- Crowded Cities.esp
lo-fi_levellists.esp
7_HolsterForHandGunsV1_1.esp
RTS NW - Volume 1st.esp
RTS NW - Volume 2nd.esp
RTS NW - Volume 3rd.esp

Total active plugins: 60
Total plugins: 63

I think it is mostly the setting. I am just not as much of a fan of a desert wasteland as of an urban wasteland. Was not a fan of any of the DLCs (except The Pitt) for that reason. I don't even have Zeta installed. Also, I loved TheCastle's realism mod. I think he is working with the Project Nevada guys now.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
To be fair Zeta is awful. I still haven't finished it and I'm pretty particular about at least trudging through poo poo once if I've bought it.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
I just bought and finished New Vegas, what a fun game. I failed the end boss fight (I sided with the NCR) about 10 times before I realized that I could put those 100 points in speech to good use.

I was a little disappointed that the special reward for finishing on Hardcore mode was an achievement - but now I can reward myself for turning it off for my 2nd time through!

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I've barely played the Underground in World of Pain. But considering on my first playthrough I found at least ~85% of the areas in the game and searched through them, having all of the random new areas in this next playthrough is pretty awesome.

I only started up my second playthrough three days after the first, so without so much new area I don't know if I could've slogged through all of the same areas between Goodsprings and Novac. Now the insanely overpowered stuff in every new area is a different matter, but my character's melee/unarmed and the WOP creator doesn't seem to be interested in weapons for that type of build, so I mostly store weapons as a sideshow curiosity.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I installed WoP because I like shooting a bitch and there just aren't enough bitches to be shot without it.

Edit: In case anyone is curious the motorcycle mod that's currently a ~*~HOT FILE~*~ on nexus is better than it's FO3 counterpart but still not really worth using. Every once in awhile you'll hit a pebble, rocket into the atmosphere and the game will crash.

Sooner or later we'll get horses or cars or motorcycles or something and it won't be balls.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 15, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I want ridable cazador jousting

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
The Motorcycle-mod sucks, it already sucked for Fallout 3 and it isn't much better here either. The map for NV is even smaller than for FO3, which makes it kinda superfluous to begin with, but that isn't even the biggest problem, the biggest problem, and I think main reason the developers didn't put anything ride/driveable in since Oblivion, is that the engine just doesn't handle it very well when something moves too quick through exterior cells. I have an i7 with a Geforce GTX 460 and 4 gigs of RAM, a rig where you'd think this game would just run fine... wrong. It handles horribly in outdoor areas. When I run from A to B I often see buildings and flora plop up under my nose, while the game and audio just hangs, because it takes too much time to preload the cell chunks, if there's too much to load and it takes a bit longer than a second, the game responds by just crashing, which is just fantastic handling, I guess a "load area" would've been just too much. This happens when I sprint too quick into too dense locations with Project Nevada. A car or anything differently rideable would be completly unusuable.

In other News, I have way too much time:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

What are your LOD settings like?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I tried everything from medium through maxed out, it handled a little different with medium, but not too much as that I'd say it was a huge improvement. The thing that improved the situation the most was editing the grid buffer in the Fallout.ini. (I know this is discouraged, but it really improved things for me, fixed all of the crashes at least, even though I get still the occasional stutter if I for example approach New Vegas, or when I think of it, any other location with many meshes around) I won't say that this is entirely 100% the engines fault as I have a slow harddrive too, but this problem kinda existed since Oblivion and I've seen it handled better in other games, so I'm allowed to complain. :(

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 15, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Police Automaton posted:

I tried everything from medium through maxed out, it handled a little different with medium, but not too much as that I'd say it was a huge improvement. The thing that improved the situation the most was editing the grid buffer in the Fallout.ini. (I know this is discouraged, but it really improved things for me, fixed all of the crashes at least, even though I get still the occasional stutter if I for example approach New Vegas) I won't say that this is entirely 100% the engines fault as I have a slow harddrive too, but this problem kinda existed since Oblivion and I've seen it handled better in other games, so I'm allowed to complain. :(

The developers of Gamebryo are some of the biggest people in denial that I've ever seen. They refuse to acknowledge that their engine has a file fragmentation problem (and has since Morrowind) despite the fact that it's been proven time and time again that any sort of file fragmentation beyond a few % causes massive instability and glitches. Attention Gamebryo devs: THIS HAS BEEN A PROBLEM FOR NEARLY A DECADE. FIX IT.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I don't think the problem is with file fragmentation in itself (I don't think the game engine knows this, also I have a whooping of 527 fragmented files according to OODefrag, I think none of them NV) the problem is more with streaming of stuff from the HD, if Data comes slower than expected the whole engine seems to just glitch out instead of just waiting for it, could be a difficulty with multithreading, I don't know how much usage of multithreading there is in gamebryo, but still it's kind of a joke and something that really should've been fixed ages ago.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Gamebryo apologists are springing up more and more on these boards, and they seem to insist that the problem is purely with Bethesda iterations of Gamebryo games. Bethesda doesn't really make the problem better but a lot of the problems with the engine are inherent and manifest themselves rather substantially when you attempt to mod it.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Hm, I played around with the New Vegas configurator, linked in the OP. Pretty much a tool to change the .ini settings, I just went for it and changed audio use to be multithreaded, convinced it doesn't do anything anyways, (I once read somewhere most of these values don't even get read by the .exe?) and well what can I say, this fixed the audio stuttering for me completely, the game still hangs like usual, but at least the music keeps playing now, which is just that much better for my nerves, nothing more annoying than having audio loop for 2 seconds.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Police Automaton posted:

I don't think the problem is with file fragmentation in itself (I don't think the game engine knows this, also I have a whooping of 527 fragmented files according to OODefrag, I think none of them NV) the problem is more with streaming of stuff from the HD, if Data comes slower than expected the whole engine seems to just glitch out instead of just waiting for it, could be a difficulty with multithreading, I don't know how much usage of multithreading there is in gamebryo, but still it's kind of a joke and something that really should've been fixed ages ago.

It's possible that's a factor too, but fragmentation is definitely a huge factor. The engine that powered Morrowind was so terrible that the performance difference between a 0% fragmented installation and a 5% fragmented installation was so noticeable it was unreal - it actually affected the framerate. Two weeks ago or so, I did a very thorough defrag once I noticed my launcher was crashing every other time I activated it and was getting weird unexplained crashes and sure enough my game was stable and the launcher was fine afterwards. Now it's starting to crash oddly every once in a while and I know it's gonna be time for me to do a totally thorough defragging again.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
On the subject of the motorcycle mod, what would a horse mod involve?

Actually now that I think of it horses don't seem to exist in Fallout. Huh.

Edit: Rideable brahmin mod.

zachol fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 15, 2011

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

zachol posted:

After seeing brahmin I don't really wanna imagine a Fallout horse.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
In theory? I could actually probably do the ridable cadazor idea simply by swapping the mesh within the motorcyle file. You could, in theory, probably 'ride' anything so long as you use the same filename so you don't break any scripts but anything with legs would look weird since you'd have to animate them.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

zachol posted:

I think they don't exist in canon- one of the old Fallout Bibles said so if I remember.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wait! I can ride Deathclaws!?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I feel like I once saw an Oblivion mod that let you ride on an ogre's shoulders or something. A mod to have a super mutant steed would be pretty rocking. Onward, Tabitha!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Co-sine posted:

I think they don't exist in canon- one of the old Fallout Bibles said so if I remember.

I'm going to fall back to a Fallout 3 slide that showed a girl getting a robotic pony. I will consider pre-war robotic ponies to be canon, and especially fitting for a western environment. I demand a robotic pony.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Anybody any experience with http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35130
(Reinforced Chinese Stealth Suit)? DT 15 doesn't sound too bad and the stealth field could be nice I guess, but I'm wondering if it adds any retarded stuff that would whack the game out of balance, I was very good at avoiding these kind of mods until now. Is the stealth field of it permanent? If it's permanent that might be a little overpowered.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 17, 2011

Digital_Id10t
Mar 17, 2011
WTF! I come here to see molerat boobs and I'm cheated..... :saddowns:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Blame the Nexus moderators :rolleyes:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Chronojam posted:

Blame the Nexus moderators :rolleyes:

That reminds me, I should go see the owner's response to my message to him.

edit: as expected, it's a worthless response. When presented reasonable logic and examples of other joke mods, terrible mods, and previous levels of retardation, you get passed over I guess. Oh well, his right for running a terrible site, I guess.

Naky fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

If you ended up inspiring some guy to add dicks to geckos you would have felt terrible.