Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

I still really like the 300M. Just a classy looking sedan. Design still looks fairly fresh 10 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

angryhampster posted:

I still really like the 300M. Just a classy looking sedan. Design still looks fairly fresh 10 years later.

I recently heard Bob Lutz give an interview, and he said that (other than the obligatory Chevy Volt), the LH cars were the cars he was most proud of. :911:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Cream_Filling posted:

I think he's talking about this Avenger (1994-2000), which weighed less than 2900 lbs. Not great, but i looked it up and the new Avenger is 3570 lbs with the 4 cylinder.

I used to own a 1998 Avenger.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I used to own a 1998 Avenger.

you tricked me :colbert:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Guys

Guys

GUYS

LISTEN

LOOK AT THIS: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/15/spy-shots-bmw-flings-m3-pickup-around-the-ring/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Left Ventricle posted:

Guys

Guys

GUYS

LISTEN

LOOK AT THIS: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/15/spy-shots-bmw-flings-m3-pickup-around-the-ring/

Or look at this:
http://jalopnik.com/#!5782213/is-this-bmw-m3-pickup-for-real
It's a custom work car.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah I mean to be fair the rest of the car isn't that bad. In particular, they do a decent job of making the sedan version look like a real sedan, as opposed to the often odd stuff they do to these other subcompacts to mash together hatch body panels into a sedan (see: the Ford Fiesta sedan).

Yeah I don't know what is up with those Fiesta sedans, they're so pointless. The razor grill they put on them is tremendously fugly too. The back looks kinda ok but when you open the trunk the lid is so tiny it's comical.

2 and 4 door hatch options would've made a lot more sense.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

kimbo305 posted:

Or look at this:
http://jalopnik.com/#!5782213/is-this-bmw-m3-pickup-for-real
It's a custom work car.
:sigh:

Knew it was too good to be true...

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I would so drive an El CaM3no :(

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In more ute news, time for some more Holden blue-balling America!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Don't know where else to put this, so it goes here!

2011 Toyota Tundra trip report

I get to drive around for a couple of days in this beast.

It has the 'ROCK WARRIOR' special edition package, which adds pretty wheels, Bilstein shocks, and some stickers. The truck has a 5.7L V8 putting out 381HP and 401 ft-lbs of torque, all at a cost of $40,000.

I don't normally drive trucks, and this is definitely a truck. It feels enormous, and very wide. Power is very good though you can tell it is a heavy vehicle. It lumbers around and makes a lot of pleasant noise but doesn't feel fast or anything.

The ergonomics are pretty terrible. Maybe I just don't drive enough Toyotas but it took some time to find essential controls. I think Toyota has to be the only company to put the cruise controls on their own stalk, hidden behind the steering wheel.

Economy is 13 city / 17 highway, which I think is pretty standard. I can't imagine how much gas would cost if I were to buy such a truck.

Also, for $40,000 you don't get power seats? Or auto up/down windows? The driver gets auto-down and that's it, period. Kind of surprising given the price.

See, I have a problem with expensive pick-ups. If I needed a truck, I would get some $20-year-old beater so I wouldn't be afraid to use it as a workhorse. Brand-new shiny expensive trucks seem more for the middle-aged guy that might need to pick up lumber once a year and that's it, otherwise it's just a luxury item. And being a luxury item I would have thought it would have been better appointed. Of course, I'm sure it's all in the packaging, but I'm still not impressed.

Also, in profile it looks really odd. I think the American trucks look a lot more aggressive and manly.

Maybe it's the odd proportions of the crew cab + short bed.

Anyway, just my .02

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Saw one of these (not this one) in person today. It looks much better proportioned than it does in pictures. I went from hating it to loving it.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

CornHolio posted:

I get to drive around for a couple of days in this beast.

Economy is 13 city / 17 highway, which I think is pretty standard. I can't imagine how much gas would cost if I were to buy such a truck.

Also, for $40,000 you don't get power seats? Or auto up/down windows? The driver gets auto-down and that's it, period. Kind of surprising given the price.

I paid 24,550 for mine in '09. It's worth more than that on KBB right now. Yes, gas sucks balls. I'm going to futz around with some things this spring. I used to be able to get 16 city 20 highway, but at 30k miles, i'm now getting almost exactly 13/17. Put 10,000 pounds on the trailer hitch, though, and it neither knows nor cares. Always plenty of power on tap.

I really like the ergos on mine, especially the CC stalk.

If I had to gripe about it in comparison to other trucks, i'd list bouncing crazily over minor road undulations at the top. There's a TSB to replace a cab mount with a fluid filled jobber that is apparently effective.

Things I like, the middle sized cab (Double Cab) has a 6.5 or 8' bed and the back seat is more than usable. Crew Cab only gets a tinybed. Also, at 6'5", I can scoot the seat almost up to the dash and not have any leg cramping on long trips.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CornHolio posted:

I think Toyota has to be the only company to put the cruise controls on their own stalk, hidden behind the steering wheel.

I've driven both Japanese and German cars set up like this. You've never encountered it before?

That Tundra looks weirder than most. I think it's the wheels or something.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They're 17". Standard equipment is 18". That could be it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

Saw one of these (not this one) in person today. It looks much better proportioned than it does in pictures. I went from hating it to loving it.

I saw it in person and didn't like it, the rear proportions are strange, but that's sort of how all the facelifted MBZs are.

Also those are some pretty serious looking front calipers.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've driven both Japanese and German cars set up like this. You've never encountered it before?

I meant new cars. Both of my cars have it on the stalk, but it seems that everybody has moved it to the steering wheel since about five years ago.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

I meant new cars. Both of my cars have it on the stalk, but it seems that everybody has moved it to the steering wheel since about five years ago.

It's definitely cheaper to have it on the wheel; my old Mitsubishi has it on a stalk in the same place and with the same control layout as Toyotas. Modern Mercedes-Benzes (or at least the C-class I rented a couple times) have one to the top-left of the steering wheel, so you always end up triggering it when turning and manually stopping the turn signal.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

CornHolio posted:

Tundra stuff

My dad has one with the smaller cab and long bed. It's a low trim with just 4WD and the 5.7, so it has a good old column shifter and a cloth bench. It's a great truck. I'm always impressed by how confidently it brakes. It feels a lot stronger than and doesn't squirm as much as other trucks I've driven. And it really lives up to the Toyota rep. He's owned it for three years now, and my folks have driven it from Dallas to Cancun and back twice now.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
SOME CAR REVIEWS FROM A COUPLE WEEKENDS AGO WHEN I WENT ON A PETROFASCISM BINGE

2011 Nissan Juke

I tested this at the dealership and made sure they had a manual transmission one to test. Since I went within minutes of opening on a Saturday morning, the only salesman available couldn't drive stick very well (95% of Nissans are sold with some kind of automatic, CVT or otherwise), which was funny.

That car doesn't feel as big as it seems like it should, and feels like I want my Mirage to feel; plenty of torque when you open the trottle, sixth gear for highway cruising, and I could get a comfy seating position.

If my car goes and I have a lifestyle change where I need to own a car, this would be a contender. I'd want to take it on a longer test drive than four miles though.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze

I drove this during a promotional/marketing type event, and ended up driving it about 60 miles (from the Coral Terrace neighborhood south-west of Miami International Airport to Boca Raton). The version was the "LTZ" trim level, with the 1.4L turbo, OnStar, and satellite radio. We had the car loaded with five people, and I didn't have to jam the driver's seat all the way back like I do in almost every other car (the exception is the contemporary Dodge Challenger, which has an absolutely retarded amount of space for the front seat).

Due to the load of the car, lower-output engine, and the slushbox, it didn't feel nearly as fun or powerful as the Juke. However, the interior's a bit nicer, OnStar is quite cool, and it seemed less noisy and raw than the Juke. I'll be recommending it to my parents, since they're pro-boring-car.

2011 Chevrolet Equinox

This was driven at the same event as the Cruze, but only about ten miles. It has basically the same interior as the Cruze, but is bigger, slower, and less fun because "crossover."

eames
May 9, 2009

Audi is preparing a new RS4 Avant. I don’t like the looks of it, but then again I also think that the current B8 A4 looks rather ugly compared to is predecessors.
The 20" rims with huge offset and super low-profile tires don’t help either.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/30/spy-shots-audi-rs4-avant-caught-on-the-right-track/

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

eames posted:

Audi is preparing a new RS4 Avant. I don’t like the looks of it, but then again I also think that the current B8 A4 looks rather ugly compared to is predecessors.
The 20" rims with huge offset and super low-profile tires don’t help either.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/30/spy-shots-audi-rs4-avant-caught-on-the-right-track/

Cankles.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

CornHolio posted:

See, I have a problem with expensive pick-ups. If I needed a truck, I would get some $20-year-old beater so I wouldn't be afraid to use it as a workhorse. Brand-new shiny expensive trucks seem more for the middle-aged guy that might need to pick up lumber once a year and that's it, otherwise it's just a luxury item. And being a luxury item I would have thought it would have been better appointed. Of course, I'm sure it's all in the packaging, but I'm still not impressed.
Contractors and upper middle-class with money to spend are the market for that truck. Not being cynical. Although I have to wonder why it's so lacking in features inside. Generally you're looking at power/heated seats, maybe a power outlet in the bed, and so on.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CornHolio posted:

Robert Cumberford, the design editor from Automobile magazine, really ripped on the Tundra's design when it came out back in 2007.
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/by_design/0702_2007_toyota_tundra/index.html

quote:

1. The headlamps are extremely banal, set high in the fender with a sharp break in the contours at the top.
2. Supremely bad design: a fake air scoop set into the top of the grille shell, blocked off by a textured black panel.
3. This may look like a skid plate, but it's just more decorative plastic. Simpler, better versions are available.
4. Suddenly, almost every new vehicle has round lamps in its bumper covers. Are designers out of ideas or out of money?

5. The silly little kick-up in the sill line simply looks like a mistake. But there are lots of those on the Tundra.
6. Wheelhouse bulges on the sides are supposed to make the truck look tough. They really don't.
7. The taillights push out from the nominal surface so that they can be seen from the front at a 45-degree angle. Good for safety, but not for style. And they're vulnerable to damage.
8. The Tundra is huge, with very high sides, so this add-on running board is almost a necessity.

quote:

I believe we can be certain that the Tundra will be a good vehicle. It is surely not as aerodynamic as the latest General Motors pickups, and despite a grille largely inspired by the Dodge big-rig look, it doesn't really carry off the theme as well as Tom Gale's design team did more than a decade ago. The perpetual best-seller, Ford's F-150, was slightly feminized one generation back, and Toyota has tried to capture a bit of that civilized look without, it must be said, much success. But as I remarked to Telnack, what difference does the styling make if the vehicle is clearly superior?

I have to agree. It's pretty awkward and looks strangely pudgy.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
The step in height is pretty high. I'm 6'5" and I hop up backwards. My girlfriend uses the grab handles. The bit on the tail lights being susceptible to damage is bunk. I've never heard of them being cracked, the '10+ stick out even more. Headlights do suck in function, they're not bright at all. All Tundras have an IFS skid standard. The unibrow on the grill is ugly as hell. You can swap in a sequoia grille, but it won't meet up with the bumper cover, so you've got to change that over as well. No one likes the raised up bit by the windows, it didn't work on the X3 and doesn't here. On the Double Cab (pictured) kids in carseats are not exposed to glass at all; the rear part of the frame is solid for about 5".

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I've had an idea for an ad that would sell about a million El Caminos to Chevy's demographic in the US, based on existing internet videos.

quote:

Dude loads his motorcycle into the back of the ute. (to how off functionality)
The bike rider starts doing a burnout in the bed.
The ute driver starts doing a burnout to make it a double burnout.
CUT TO caption card: "Vote to bring back El Camino at https://www.bringbackelcamino.chevy.com"
bam. Australia's car industry is saved.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cream_Filling posted:

I have to agree. It's pretty awkward and looks strangely pudgy.

Yeah, I agree. It's a goofy looking truck.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cream_Filling posted:

I've had an idea for an ad that would sell about a million El Caminos to Chevy's demographic in the US, based on existing internet videos.

I swear I've posted this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUMuW7KohLg&t=26s

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cream_Filling posted:

You'd be pushing it to carry the weight of a motorcycle on the bed of one of them - they're bogan sports coupes and aren't really designed with hauling stuff in mind.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

dissss posted:

You'd be pushing it to carry the weight of a motorcycle on the bed of one of them - they're bogan sports coupes and aren't really designed with hauling stuff in mind.

Legal cargo capacity is listed at 594kg, but that doesn't include people, so add two fat cunts at 210 kegs (all up) and you could just about squeeze a goldwing onto it as well. Dirt bikes, however, are absolutely no problem and you can easily get two on the back.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dissss posted:

You can easily carry a bike in the tray of a Holden ute, they'll take just over 600kg in the tray.

e; f, b

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

abigserve posted:

Legal cargo capacity is listed at 594kg, but that doesn't include people, so add two fat cunts at 210 kegs (all up) and you could just about squeeze a goldwing onto it as well. Dirt bikes, however, are absolutely no problem and you can easily get two on the back.

Ah I must have been misremembering all the payload related whinging that went on when they launched it.

This says an SS-V auto (which is the worst case) is 508kgs all up including passengers and all non standard accessories - http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=42714&IsPgd=0

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

According to documents obtained by GMI, the ‘SS Sedan’ is now operating as an approved program. The program is running under the code Z2SC and is expected to launch in North America in early 2013 as a 2014 model year vehicle. GMI was able to independently confirm the time frame with Holden sources as well.

Please oh please GM let this happen.
I missed out on a chance to get a G8 GXP with a stick and now most of them for sale are either outrageously overpriced or autos.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey guys remember how GM started hyping up the new Camaro 6 years before it actually hit the market? Honda just announced the S2000 replacement is coming out this summer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Hey guys remember how GM started hyping up the new Camaro 6 years before it actually hit the market? Honda just announced the S2000 replacement is coming out this summer.

man, they finally solved the torque problem.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Motherfuck :barf:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

This is an April fools joke from Honda. They're just poking fun at Nissan for making such a ridiculous product (Murano convertible).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

SouthLAnd posted:

This is an April fools joke from Honda. They're just poking fun at Nissan for making such a ridiculous product (Murano convertible).

It's Autoblog. They really had me on board for a bit because I'm in China and it was already April 2nd by the time I got it, it IS a pretty good photoshop, and besides, looking at the stuff Honda's actually come out with recently, you wouldn't put it past them to seriously do it. I thought it was well done.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

...looking at the stuff Honda's actually come out with recently, you wouldn't put it past them to seriously do it.

This is absolutely true. Sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

SouthLAnd posted:

Honda should be the last brand that's poking fun of any other brand for a ridiculous offering, especially with the CT.