Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
King Tigers are tough in late war but all nations have units which can deal with them. Most players will struggle to see a return on their points investment if they run more than one King Tiger.

Crete is interesting. Its a battle which change the views of both the Axis and Allied airborne infantry. Germany was shocked by the losses sustained and Britain and the US we amazed at how quick the Paratroopers can take vital objectives.

Crete will fall into the early war period with no book currently published with the lists for FJ and the commonwealth troops at Crete. You can use Blitzkrieg by choosing taking the confident veteran Germans without armoured support Vs the British. Present were 2 Matilda Senior tanks and around 10 Vickers VI B light tanks. Most of the heavier equipment was left behind in Greece.

Or you can use the FJ and commonwealth rules as presented in North Africa but take only equipment used at Crete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Karandras posted:

Are Late War games interesting or is it just German players smugly placing a trio of Tiger IIs?
Tiger IIs are incredibly not worth the points. IIRC you end up getting about six T-34 per tank, and they *will* do bad things to it.

The game is more about objectives and maneuvering so funnily enough a big slow tank that breaks down a lot isn't all that great.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Especially the T-34/85s.

I killed 3 Tigers with them last game.

EDIT: Tigers, not KTs.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 15, 2011

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Big clearance at Foundry.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lord Commissar posted:

Is this an Australian site?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Late War is german players smugly facing their panthers against soviet players smugly placing their t-35/85s.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

S.J. posted:

Is this an Australian site?

No, they're in Nottingham.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lord Commissar posted:

No, they're in Nottingham.

Well, okay then. I was just wondering why a Tactical squad box on clearance cost almost 50 USD.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

S.J. posted:

Well, okay then. I was just wondering why a Tactical squad box on clearance cost almost 50 USD.

Fundry on sale is still really expensive. Nice sculpts, but it's still staggering to see them being sometimes twice or three times as expensive as the competition. The GW of historicals, you could say. :smug:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I really need to find a third party seller of Polish cavalry... or infantry... or something...

It's almost like Battlefront knows there isn't now and never will be competition for 15mm Polish :smith:

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

The Oldest Man posted:

I really need to find a third party seller of Polish cavalry... or infantry... or something...

It's almost like Battlefront knows there isn't now and never will be competition for 15mm Polish :smith:

http://quickreactionforce.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=440_441_507&zenid=aefa12c1fd3377803b6f7fe8dcf4f37e

God I'm good

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What's the best way to get Irregular miniatures in the US?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

moths posted:

What's the best way to get Irregular miniatures in the US?

I haven't found anyone who regularly imports them, you probably have to order direct.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Lord Commissar posted:

Anyonr know if Foundry minis would look especially goofy on the same board with Perry Bros? (this would be for AWI) The only things I've ever seen of Foundry is some Old West gunfighters and they were quite short and chunky IIRC.

On the Perry site they state that their range is a continuation of the Foundry stuff (which I guess they also did?)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I have some of each and they look fine together to me.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Niche historical wargaming wins again! :unsmith:

...unfortunately on a per fig basis those things are as expensive as BF's first party stuff purchased from the War Store even before you figure in bases.

And they look like this

Battlefront:

The Other Guys:

:smith:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Battlefront are really not that badly priced when you take a look at the prices and quality of the competition. And at the end of the day, it's nice to put a full platoon of infantry on the table for under 20 quid again. It's only been a decade or so since I managed that with GW.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

Battlefront are really not that badly priced when you take a look at the prices and quality of the competition. And at the end of the day, it's nice to put a full platoon of infantry on the table for under 20 quid again. It's only been a decade or so since I managed that with GW.

Considering you can build a pretty decently sized force for under $300, it really isn't bad at all.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I don't know what your fake money is like, but I have three companys worth of stuff which cost me in the region of €200. I lack artillery support, but that's just another 30-40 or so.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't know what your fake money is like, but I have three companys worth of stuff which cost me in the region of €200. I lack artillery support, but that's just another 30-40 or so.

That's under $300.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Start of my Auxillary force for Hail Caesar

Arse, just noticed a splodge of brown on a shield!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Tiny men are no neater on the field of battle than huge men. Leave it as is, or put more brown on them.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Jinjin Bemar posted:

Start of my Auxillary force for Hail Caesar

Arse, just noticed a splodge of brown on a shield!

That kind of just looks like some lacquer has stripped off the shield.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Arquinsiel posted:

Tiny men are no neater on the field of battle than huge men. Leave it as is, or put more brown on them.

Im not sure I agree with you there. Ive painted a lot of 6mm men in my time and one thing Ive personally never pulled off (and seldom seem anyone else do) is decent weathering on them. They are just too small and when painting at thise scale to prevent your units looking like a muddy mess of paints its really important to ensure that the shades you use are much brighter than you would at larger scales. Adding weathering just tends to make the unit look messy- remember with 6mm you are looking at the models as units at a whole not as individual men. I think of it like a Monet painting- looking good from afar, but close up its a lot of splodges of colour (art critics forgive me please!)

What I tend to do is if a small amount of light brown ends up on them through me drybrushing the bases then i will leave it on, but splodges like the one of the shield need to go.

Also more people should have a go at 6mm, its really a very easy scale to paint. Ive used nothing smaller than a size 2 brush for example when painting these guys.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

[quote="Jinjin Bemar"

Also more people should have a go at 6mm, its really a very easy scale to paint. Ive used nothing smaller than a size 2 brush for example when painting these guys.
[/quote]

6mm is the fastest painting ever. It feels good to be able to put hundreds of men on the table after an evening of painting.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Oooh I had forgotten about your lovely Samurai.

Not a period I have ever played or know much about, but every time I see yours, and play Shogun 2, I consider it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

So can someone give me a frank opinion about why it's a good idea to combat attach weapons platoons (like a HMG platoon) to infantry platoons, or why it's a better idea to field them separately?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sometimes you want your platoon to make a close assault. In these cases it's a good idea to have the platoon you're attacking pinned. Sometimes you'll need to setup a base of fire to do so, and a HMG is the lynchpin of a base of fire. Leave the HMG behind, charge with the rest. I split my weapons platoons so I have 2 HMG in each of my Grenadier platoons that aren't upgraded for tank killing (although I probably should put some in there too......) and it helps to pin stuff before the rest of my mans charge in and murder people with their shovels.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

So can someone give me a frank opinion about why it's a good idea to combat attach weapons platoons (like a HMG platoon) to infantry platoons, or why it's a better idea to field them separately?

Fielding weapons platoons attached to combat platoons also spreads the heavy weapons amongst your troops, so as to not have a particularly vulnerable platoon making a target of itself compared to the relatively hard infantry platoons nearby. The gun teams themselves are still as fragile as ever, but the enemy is not presented with a single soft unit that will bring you closer to your company's break point.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
There is also some game benefits of combat attaching your HMGs out to your infantry platoons.

It can often drop you down to an even number of platoons. This allows for a better force when you start with only half your platoons and helps with break point.

A man packed gun team like a HMG cannot be picked out from a platoon with infantry teams unless its from a weapon with a firepower rating or 4+ or better. So you HMGs stay alive longer.

It also allows your HMGs to cover more ground due to nothing having to deploy in the same spot as you must deploy a platoon in command.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Protip guys:

Wargames Illustrated has reprinted the Flames of War: Vietnam rules, but expanded it to include Tank and Mechanised companies for the Americans, some NVA options and more divisional support and added a few more scenarios to play. It's in it's own 40-page booklet, and well worth the price of admission.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

If I order a subscription, will that include the current issue? Or will it start AFTER this issue?

EDIT: Called them, it'll start at 283.

EDIT2: So for the record, I got a subscription with Gen. Washington and Adm. Nelson, plus the current issue.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 23, 2011

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

So I started to build the outline of my first 15mm house, and drat is it big compared to the thing I did in 6mm. I'm really starting to think about whether to make my 15mm range realistically scaled or slighty smaller, just like no-one use 2 feet tall trees in 28mm battles even if there are actual trees of that size. Any input from the 15mm crowd? I'm kind of "6mm blind" right now and everything just looks huge.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

So I started to build the outline of my first 15mm house, and drat is it big compared to the thing I did in 6mm. I'm really starting to think about whether to make my 15mm range realistically scaled or slighty smaller, just like no-one use 2 feet tall trees in 28mm battles even if there are actual trees of that size. Any input from the 15mm crowd? I'm kind of "6mm blind" right now and everything just looks huge.
Trees are a bit weird. I tend to use the same trees regardless of scale TBH.

Buildings I'd say you could get away with 10-12mil scale, but 15mil would be fine too really.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Hey FoW guys:

So I've managed to complete my Estonian SS army, its even mostly painted (except for those halftracks). My question is:

If I wanted to start an early war army now, are Hungarians as awesome as they look (they are also a mid war army too, but I have a midwar Afrika Corps army)?

I totally want to start a army with lots of mustaches, bicycles and horses! But not if those things are terrible and will get me ground into dust by everyone else (see: late war Romanians).

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hungary isn't in EW yet as far as I know.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Oldest Man posted:

Hungary isn't in EW yet as far as I know.

Huh, two guys I know were building armies for Hungary so I assumed it was EW since no one plays MW around here.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Huh, two guys I know were building armies for Hungary so I assumed it was EW since no one plays MW around here.

Blitzkreig has briefings for Poland, Germany, France, and Britain. I would expect the Soviet Union, Finland, and Hungary all to make appearances in EW but that'll probably be covered in a later book about the Winter War and Operation Barbarossa. Probably Greece and Italy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

Protip guys:

Wargames Illustrated has reprinted the Flames of War: Vietnam rules, but expanded it to include Tank and Mechanised companies for the Americans, some NVA options and more divisional support and added a few more scenarios to play. It's in it's own 40-page booklet, and well worth the price of admission.

Just got this, it's glorious. Now I want to play.

Probably have to play NVA, since my buddy is a Marine and there's no way he'll want to play the "bad guys", but that's fair; He's playing Nazis right now.

(P.S. No way in hell would you see this kind of poo poo in White Dwarf.)