Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RagnarokAngel posted:

If you already own AC1 (I assume you do, posting in here), go for it, just do as few side missions as possible and that'll keep the tedium from setting in. It's not TOO long if you do this and it has interesting parts, it's just one of those games you can't go back to once you play the sequels.

This, the world in AC1 is great, if you do the bare minimum so you don't get bored; also I prefer the atmosphere in your starting camp over anything in AC2 tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
In the last 24 hours I managed to finish Greedcorp, Super Meat Boy and Darksiders!

Games currently in progress:

Dawn of War II(Was on the last mission before my computer died, so I'll likely just cheat up to that if I decide to replay it)
Psychonauts(Same as DoW2, very far into the game and computer died)
Bioshock: Maybe 4 hours in
Dragon Age: Origins: Maybe 50% or so through
Magicka: Three or so bosses in
Batman:Arkham Asylum: Defeated Bane once on 360, gotta start over on PC.

some quality gaming to be had here.

The highlights of my not yet played category:

Beyond Good & Evil
Crysis Warhead
Morrowind
Lara Croft & Guardian of Light
Painkiller series
Penumbra Series
Episodic Monkey Islands
Thief 3

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
My video card keeps overheating :( I managed to finish Kane and Lynch 2 on Friday but haven't been able to play anything else this weekend :(

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SmokinDan posted:

My video card keeps overheating :( I managed to finish Kane and Lynch 2 on Friday but haven't been able to play anything else this weekend :(

You clean the dust out?

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

SmokinDan posted:

Take out parts and blow them off individually. If you're still experiencing problems then the fan may have gone bad on the video card. Go ghetto and put a box fan next to the tower and order a new card ASAP.

I'm getting close to finishing Dirt 2. It's a really fun game but it suffers what every single Codemasters game has: it's way too long for how little in courses it has.

I also beat Soldner-X 2 as far as I probably will bother to, unlocked stage 5 and saw the effort needed to unlock 6, and that'll just wait till I have the time to memorize bullet patterns.

I'm gonna start and maybe try to beat Sonic 4 today, we'll see. I cancelled WoW to make further efforts on getting caught up (not that I was playing much anyways, latest expansion is very mediocre).

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

I finished Serious Sam and now I've worked my way to Mass Effect 2

After playing through like 3 hours in, the fan on my video card seems like it isn't balanced and making HORRIBLE noises. I'm on hiatus until I can get it replaced.

:negative:

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems
I've given up on BIT.TRIP BEAT because I'm so terrible at it that it gets frustrating, and I've completed Machinarium despite Steam not tracking my time. I've used a random number generator to choose my next games, which is Metro 2033 with a dash of Torchlight on the side.

edit: Just remembered I had an old-rear end backloggery account. Might as well put it to use.

Awcko fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 13, 2011

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Time to start making a dent in this collection. Finished Crysis the other day and I'm going to get working on Warhead next. What should I do after?

Here's what I think I could realistically get through on my list:
V:TM Bloodlines
Trine
Serious Sam HD
STALKER: CoP
Red Faction Guerilla
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Dead Rising 2
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Bioshock 2
(I just noticed that about 80% of these are shooters. Man I went on a spree with them)

I do best with games I can play for 45 minutes or so between classes/during study breaks in case that helps to push in some direction.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Golashes posted:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

This is really fun if you like kicking people into spikes/ other people/ rivers etc.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Golashes posted:

Time to start making a dent in this collection. Finished Crysis the other day and I'm going to get working on Warhead next. What should I do after?

I do best with games I can play for 45 minutes or so between classes/during study breaks in case that helps to push in some direction.

Trine is beautiful, fun and easy to grab. Levels are 10-20 minutes each and the game is about 5-7 hours. It's even better if you have 1-2 friends and pads.

cons:
No online multiplayer
Saves only between levels

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Golashes posted:

Red Faction Guerilla
Be a space rear end in a top hat. It's pretty fun.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Man belongs wherever he wants to go
Just finished Republic Commando. The ending seemed kind of abrupt, but I didn't really see it coming. It's a shame too because I love the characters in the game, and actually losing Sev really sucks. I sort of expected it to be a little longer, but for what it's worth, it was fun as hell.

I've got a few options I feel like exploring now. Bear in mind when I say I stopped due to difficulty, it was a couple years ago, and I don't suck so much at games now. Republic Commando was put on hold for the same reason.

-Condemned: Criminal Origins (from D2D - stopped for reasons unknown, it's a great game from what I played of it)
-Mirror's Edge (played most of it on the 360, but never finished it and lost the disc)
-Max Payne (started playing, stopped due to difficulty)
-Indigo Prophecy (started playing, got pussified by a jump-scare, stopped)
-Darksiders (started playing, stopped)
-Amnesia (started playing, continued to wuss out when I tried)
-Deus Ex (started playing, stopped due to difficulty)
-Assassin's Creed (beat once, halfway through, want to beat again to lead into AC2)
-Manhunt (started playing, stopped due to difficulty)

I'm kind of leaning towards Condemned, but AC1's still sort of laying around half-finished, and when I beat that one, I'd probably move right on to AC2...

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Think I'm going to start Dark Messiah on the side with Warhead. I'm going to see if I can get my 360 controller adapter working again, and if so I'll convince my buddies to do Trine with me.

Mr. Saturday posted:

Just finished Republic Commando. The ending seemed kind of abrupt, but I didn't really see it coming. It's a shame too because I love the characters in the game, and actually losing Sev really sucks. I sort of expected it to be a little longer, but for what it's worth, it was fun as hell.

I've got a few options I feel like exploring now. Bear in mind when I say I stopped due to difficulty, it was a couple years ago, and I don't suck so much at games now. Republic Commando was put on hold for the same reason.

-Condemned: Criminal Origins (from D2D - stopped for reasons unknown, it's a great game from what I played of it)
-Mirror's Edge (played most of it on the 360, but never finished it and lost the disc)
-Max Payne (started playing, stopped due to difficulty)
-Indigo Prophecy (started playing, got pussified by a jump-scare, stopped)
-Darksiders (started playing, stopped)
-Amnesia (started playing, continued to wuss out when I tried)
-Deus Ex (started playing, stopped due to difficulty)
-Assassin's Creed (beat once, halfway through, want to beat again to lead into AC2)
-Manhunt (started playing, stopped due to difficulty)

I'm kind of leaning towards Condemned, but AC1's still sort of laying around half-finished, and when I beat that one, I'd probably move right on to AC2...

Condemned is pretty good and not that long if I remember right. Max Payne is one of my favorite games ever personally and really rewarding to finish. Indigo Prophecy is kind of a comedy option because of the infamously ridiculous ending (up until the last hour and a half or so the game is pretty solid game though).

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Golashes posted:

Think I'm going to start Dark Messiah on the side with Warhead. I'm going to see if I can get my 360 controller adapter working again, and if so I'll convince my buddies to do Trine with me.

Condemned is pretty good and not that long if I remember right. Max Payne is one of my favorite games ever personally and really rewarding to finish. Indigo Prophecy is kind of a comedy option because of the infamously ridiculous ending (up until the last hour and a half or so the game is pretty solid game though).

Then I'll just go ahead and do Condemned. That's been unfinished longer than AC.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Space Giraffe is victorious! I have now completed all 100 levels, and (except at the very end, because I was impatient) I only ever started on stages where I'd reached them with 3+ lives. (I may go back and complete the run that way later, but that's if it's in the rotation, not if it's on my stack.)

Jolly Rover: Also complete. Like the rest of the thread said: not bad, still full of cheese. That said, the point-and-click interface is superb. There's a button to highlight all hotspots, hotspots are color-coded by "have you exhausted this hotspot's repertoire", left click handles inventory cleanly, with standard accelerators for 'stop caring about this object' all acceptable, click to skip dialog, :siren: configurable walking speed :siren:. No regrets at all on this one, but tenbux is a bit steep for a game that takes four hours to beat if you dawdle.

So, random.org, what do we have available next?

Wait, this (DEFCON, for those who didn't notice instantly) is multiplayer only. It doesn't belong on my backlog. I'll play the tutorial and call it a day.

Let's try rolling again. That gives us Uplink and BioshockHalf-Life 2. (I had decided earlier that the first FPS that came up would be changed to HL2, since I had just picked up the gravity gun when last I abandoned my playthrough.)

Onwards!

EDIT: vvvvv The only way to win is not to play at all, right? That gets it off the stack real quick.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 14, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

DEFCON isn't multiplayer only but it is one of those games you can't really "win" so it's ok to skip for now.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am working through Batman: Arkham Asylum, but took a break from that for Defense Grid. Man, this game is addicting. I'd still be playing if I didn't have to drive to see my fiancee tonight. Tomorrow I hope to put a pretty big dent in Arkham Asylum before checking out of videogames for the next week or two while March Madness is going on.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Mr. Saturday posted:

Then I'll just go ahead and do Condemned. That's been unfinished longer than AC.

Condemned is a really good game, though it suffers from the same thing as Indigo Prophecy. The last levels overload you with bullshit story, and in the end you don't know what has happened.

My backlog:

Amnesia: Dark Descent - I loved Penumbra games, but still haven't given this one a proper chance.

Company of Heroes - Tried a few games, and got absolutely stomped by the easiest AI. It seems fun, and I'm usually really good at RTS'es.

Cryostasis - Suppose I could try it out now when I've upgraded my graphics card. GTX9800 was not enough to play it comfortably.

Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light - was supposed to Co-op this with a friend who bailed out. Is it fun in singleplayer?

Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum

Overlord 1 and 2

Saint's Row 2 - Stuttering issues which make it unplayable - is there any fix to it?

Star Wars: KOTOR - I have absolutely no idea what this is about, or how it got onto my steam account. I looked it up on wikipedia, and I quite like Bioware. How long is this game?

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - tried for 2 hours, didn't click. Does it get better later? Also the interface is very confusing.

I got a lot of free time lately, so lenght of games isn't an issue. What would you suggest?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Skilleddk posted:

Condemned is a really good game, though it suffers from the same thing as Indigo Prophecy. The last levels overload you with bullshit story, and in the end you don't know what has happened.

My backlog:

Amnesia: Dark Descent - I loved Penumbra games, but still haven't given this one a proper chance.

Company of Heroes - Tried a few games, and got absolutely stomped by the easiest AI. It seems fun, and I'm usually really good at RTS'es.

Cryostasis - Suppose I could try it out now when I've upgraded my graphics card. GTX9800 was not enough to play it comfortably.

Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light - was supposed to Co-op this with a friend who bailed out. Is it fun in singleplayer?

Overlord 1 and 2

Saint's Row 2 - Stuttering issues which make it unplayable - is there any fix to it?

Star Wars: KOTOR - I have absolutely no idea what this is about, or how it got onto my steam account. I looked it up on wikipedia, and I quite like Bioware. How long is this game?

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - tried for 2 hours, didn't click. Does it get better later? Also the interface is very confusing.

I got a lot of free time lately, so lenght of games isn't an issue. What would you suggest?

You get used to the interface; what killed me was the combat. I got Amnesia on my backlog as well. There's really no such thing as a long horror game, so that puts it in the upper half of my list- not jumping to put myself through that kind of stress though.

KOTOR's pretty awesome, everyone says it's awesome; someday I'll finish it. You should, too.

Company of Heroes is pretty drat awesome as well- did you just jump into random game? It's definitely different from the standard RTS and takes some learning. Sound and graphics are really, really great.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Skilleddk posted:

My backlog:

Overlord 1 and 2

KOTOR is a pretty long game, I'd go with that, it's one of my all-time favorites. The first world is gonna be an endurance test because it's horribly boring but after that you become a Jedi it gets way better.

PandasEVERYWHERE
Feb 16, 2009
Welp, just knocked Doom 3 off my list! :dance: It was ok and all, but honestly I've never seen a game DRAG ON for so loving long. I got to Hell and expected it to be over soon, only to find out I have about 5 levels left to go. Because of that I'm dreading the expansion pack.

As for KOTOR, I'm a little stuck on Malak (SO. CLOSE.). So I'm gonna bump Psychonauts to the backup position. I was about half way through it when I quit so it won't be too long.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

KOTOR is a pretty long game, I'd go with that, it's one of my all-time favorites. The first world is gonna be an endurance test because it's horribly boring but after that you become a Jedi it gets way better.

I always did rather like Taris myself, but yeah, the game really picks up when you hit Dantooine, and really beyond Dantooine as well. I second the recommendation, it's a fantastic game that really does well in making you feel like you're in a populated and busy galaxy.

PandasEVERYWHERE posted:

Welp, just knocked Doom 3 off my list! :dance: It was ok and all, but honestly I've never seen a game DRAG ON for so loving long. I got to Hell and expected it to be over soon, only to find out I have about 5 levels left to go. Because of that I'm dreading the expansion pack.

As for KOTOR, I'm a little stuck on Malak (SO. CLOSE.). So I'm gonna bump Psychonauts to the backup position. I was about half way through it when I quit so it won't be too long.

The expansion pack's actually ridiculously short from what I recall.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I've been hitting my backlog as well. The problem is that most of them are FPS' and there are so many. This is because I bought the ID pack when it was on the holiday sale in 2009, hardly touched it since.

I finished Serious Sam: The First Encounter a couple days ago, working on The Second Encounter now and it's even better than the first, a lot longer too. However I can only take so much FPS so I'll finish Mass Effect 2 since I've been so close to beating it since July.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Finally finished R.U.S.E.'s campaign after playing it on and off for months since the treasure hunt last year - pretty fun, though the plot sorta just stops being plausible when you invade soviet-held Germany as the french army.

And have battle ready nuclear artillery in 1945.

Started playing Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - it's fun, but it's also really clunky in some ways and it's another lazy port with forced toggle crouch. gently caress toggle crouch.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
I haven't posted in a while but when I last did it was to say I was starting up Majesty Gold. I had a hard time getting into it and the next day I got a great deal on Civ V, which I've put in about 38 hours on so I can technically count it as "beaten" to my mind. I'll probably keep coming back from time to time, though. I really enjoy the game.

Been working on Mount and Blade: Warband, which will probably occupy me for at least the rest of the month. I had to restart today because the faction I was aligning myself with was at war with everyone and I couldn't recruit an army because all the villages were looted, but I'm still totally into it. Loved the first, this one's even better! 13 hours in so far.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I beat Homefront. What a poo poo game. Meh.

I'm still angry I preordered the game and have no recourse in trading it in. It's unlikely I'll ever play it again because the MP is terrible too for many reasons.

At least I got Metro 2033 out of it, and a TF2 item (not that I play TF2...).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

fatpat268 posted:

I beat Homefront. What a poo poo game. Meh.

I'm still angry I preordered the game and have no recourse in trading it in. It's unlikely I'll ever play it again because the MP is terrible too for many reasons.

At least I got Metro 2033 out of it, and a TF2 item (not that I play TF2...).

Can you please explain your experiences with Homefront please?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Can you please explain your experiences with Homefront please?

I have some thoughts from the 20 minutes or so I've messed with so far:
-Toggle loving crouch.
-You can't change graphics settings without quitting the level, now this wouldn't be bad, except:
-Checkpoints don't persist beyond quitting the level and...
-The first level starts with a really long, UNSKIPPABLE cutscene.

Needless to say, this is making finetuning it so it doesn't lag a huge chore.

EDIT: They do persist but you still have to sit through the stupid long video first.

Also, Boone is basically Roger Murtaugh from Lethal Weapon so far (end of Chapter 2) - complete with the "I'm getting too old for this poo poo." line.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 18, 2011

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Sam and Max season 1: Finished.
Now going to start 2.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Luisfe posted:

Sam and Max season 1: Finished.

How long did it take you?

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
Hmmm... Just finally got my Windows PC after sitting on a Mac for the past 1.5 years, meanwhile buying games that were on sale (Spent ~450$ over the holidays)

Steam account valued at 2417.58$. I think I'll start with Fallout: New Vegas.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Saoshyant posted:

How long did it take you?

Two weeks longer than planned, one week because I had limited access to where I had it installed, another week due to Assassin's Creed 2 finishing/Starting Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

Planning to finish Season 2 in a maximum of two weeks. Since doubleclicking makes Sam run, it is already instantly better.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
That is a big improvement. I d/l'd Abe Lincoln Must Die because I like free things, but I didn't have the patience to go beyond meeting the president because walking places and dialogues were taking too long... Adventure games have lots of back and forth travelling and repetitive trial and error attempts at solutions, that poo poo needs expediting.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Shovelmint posted:

That is a big improvement. I d/l'd Abe Lincoln Must Die because I like free things, but I didn't have the patience to go beyond meeting the president because walking places and dialogues were taking too long... Adventure games have lots of back and forth travelling and repetitive trial and error attempts at solutions, that poo poo needs expediting.

Season 1 was telltale's first effort and compared to what they've done more recently it's definitely amateur hour. Season 1 can be skipped honestly because season 2 is where it at least get's tolerable, and Season 3 is an even better upgrade from there.

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

Is Season 3 even out? I'm not seeing it on steam anywhere.

e: quick google search says there is. Disappointing I don't see it on steam.

e2: is it the devil's playhouse? My google abilities are weak right now.

ButterChugger fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 18, 2011

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Yeah, Sam and Max season 3 is the Devil's Playhouse.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
So, a week ago I was in "I have to play everything I own, to get my money's worth!"-mode. I was playing through stuff I sort of enjoyed, like World of Goo, and stuff I was barely enjoying at all, like GTA IV. Then, something snapped. I went on a rampage and purged my hard drive of around 200+ gigs of games. Now I'm playing through only the stuff I want to. This goes for all of my PC games, not just Steam.

Right now I'm playing the following games:
Divinity II - TDKS
The Witcher
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption
Arcanum
Two Worlds
Drakensang

So yeah, a ton of RPGs. But! I'm having fun with all of them, so far, and I think the diversity (though they're all the same genre) helps. After I get through these, I'll probably go on an RTS campaigns binge. I have DoW2 to do, as well as the Company of Heroes series, maybe Empire Earth and the expansion, Ground Control + Expansion, SpellForce Platinum, and the Tropico 3 expansion.

I actually like the idea of going through my catalog genre by genre.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The Machine posted:

I actually like the idea of going through my catalog genre by genre.

I tried doing this, but playing 3 different FPS games at the same time, even if they were different "styles" (I was playing Half Life 2 + episode 1 and 2 more story driven, Far Cry 2 open world to dick around in, and Crysis shoot people in the face or throw barrels at them to kill them) but I got bored with it. I was able to get around this by playing a tower defense game (Defense Grid), 3rd person action/adventure (Batman: Arkham Asylum) and a mindless ARPG, Titan Quest. I much prefer this method.

Plus, the idea of trying to play 3 or 4 different RPGs at once is :smithicide: mainly because I spend tons of hours on RPGs and I would feel like I'm not making progress if I'm switching between games of the same genre all the time. I don't know if that makes any sense to you, but it does to me, who knows why.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Season 1 was telltale's first effort and compared to what they've done more recently it's definitely amateur hour. Season 1 can be skipped honestly because season 2 is where it at least get's tolerable, and Season 3 is an even better upgrade from there.

It's worth noting that they changed the control system between Season 2 and Season 3, and the Season 3 one is bloody awful.

Also, finished HOMEFRONT, it's like, 4~hrs long. Reasonably fun in a "dumb linear FPS campaign" kinda way, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ChrisAsmadi posted:

It's worth noting that they changed the control system between Season 2 and Season 3, and the Season 3 one is bloody awful.

Also, finished HOMEFRONT, it's like, 4~hrs long. Reasonably fun in a "dumb linear FPS campaign" kinda way, though.

You know that season 3 can be controlled using WASD or clicking, right?