Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Dixie: I want 9 rings
Assistant: The Impact Zone can only fit 3.
Dixie: Then make the rings SMALLER.... geez, do I have to think of everything?

projecthalaxy posted:

Assistant:Well, the carts from WM3 got put up for sale...
Dixie:YES! WE ONLY NEED RING CARTS!

I've got it! The money match of the century... Wargames but bigger, with a dash of a match type so innovative that the WWE have never dared attempt one; King of the Road! 9 ring world war 3 featuring 27 wrestlers in 9 WM3 ringcarts, WHILE THE RINGCARTS ARE MOVING! They could call it World War 3: Maximum Overdrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Nitro girl Spice makes the man from the misfits look like Ric Flair. Her finisher (and sole move) the vague shove has been known to destroy all challengers. I've only seen one brutal backstage brawl (2 shoves) and one match vs Madusa (1 shove, in the back) so far but have high hopes.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Giedroyc posted:

Nitro girl Spice makes the man from the misfits look like Ric Flair. Her finisher (and sole move) the vague shove has been known to destroy all challengers. I've only seen one brutal backstage brawl (2 shoves) and one match vs Madusa (1 shove, in the back) so far but have high hopes.

She also destroys hearts. :swoon:

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Is Spice the one that HBK married?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Is Spice the one that HBK married?

No, I think that was Whisper. Was Spice the one with a mouth like a carp?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Nah Spice is the one dressed as Heidi in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TTUEet93V8

Wow she doubled her offense with a shove and a rather nasty snapmare!

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Perry Normal posted:

No, I think that was Whisper. Was Spice the one with a mouth like a carp?

I don't remember how but there was a period where they decided to do something with all the Nitro Girls and Spice ended up as Madusa's valet/manager.

I think one of them acted as a valet for Kanyon during his "Champagne" gimmick, one of them became Ernest Miller's valet Ms. Jones, Sharmell (I forget what her Nitro Girl name was) became The Artist's valet Paisley and Tygress became the valet of the Filthy Animals.

There's probably a few others I'm forgetting outside of Kimberly and Stacy Kiebler.

Edit: I think that was the time period where like every loving person on the roster had some kind of valet or manager. Macho Man had three (Madusa, Gorgeous George and Molly Holly), Daffney came in around that time I think, Flair had Lil' Naitch and even guys like the loving Maestro and Prince Iaukea had a valet.

Suben fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 14, 2011

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Obviously the answer is royal rumble with 81 rings and about 500 wrestlers to have royal rumble sudoku.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Moose Bigelow posted:

Obviously the answer is royal rumble with 81 rings and about 500 wrestlers to have royal rumble sudoku.

9 rings arranged in a grid, a face/heel match in each.

Faces are X's, heels are O's.

First to get 3 in a row wins.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Suben posted:

Edit: I think that was the time period where like every loving person on the roster had some kind of valet or manager. Macho Man had three (Madusa, Gorgeous George and Molly Holly), Daffney came in around that time I think, Flair had Lil' Naitch and even guys like the loving Maestro and Prince Iaukea had a valet.

Of course, Major Gunns worked with the Misfits in Action.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

George Kaplan posted:

9 rings arranged in a grid, a face/heel match in each.

Faces are X's, heels are O's.

First to get 3 in a row wins.
HHH: THE ONLY WINNING MOVE IS NOT TO PLAY...

THE GAME!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Giedroyc posted:

Nah Spice is the one dressed as Heidi in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TTUEet93V8

Wow she doubled her offense with a shove and a rather nasty snapmare!

A woman named Tygress comes to the ring wearing leopard-print clothing.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Suben posted:

I don't remember how but there was a period where they decided to do something with all the Nitro Girls and Spice ended up as Madusa's valet/manager.

I think one of them acted as a valet for Kanyon during his "Champagne" gimmick, one of them became Ernest Miller's valet Ms. Jones, Sharmell (I forget what her Nitro Girl name was) became The Artist's valet Paisley and Tygress became the valet of the Filthy Animals.

There's probably a few others I'm forgetting outside of Kimberly and Stacy Kiebler.

Spice was 13-year-old Rotinaj's favorite Nitro Girl.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I remember the Asian Nitro Girl had a nip slip while dancing one night on Nitro. It was one of the greatest nights of my life at 13 years old.

edit: I think Nash boned her at one point as well. :gonk:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rereading Death of WCW, I got to the part where Vince Russo admits that during his first run he wanted to rehired Warrior in order to do a Goldberg vs. Warrior program. The writer(s) then makes fun of Russo for suggesting that anyone would want to see such an angle.

Now, the idea of a competently done feud between Goldberg and Warrior could be pretty good if done right. But a Goldberg vs. Warrior feud as written by Vince Russo? Holy poo poo. That would have been must-see TV right there. Somebody get me one of those Sliders alternate reality device thingies. I need to see a world where this happened.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

I don't think anyone could have booked that feud well. No way Warrior would have come back to lose a two minute squash, and Goldberg/Warrior in anything but a two minute squash is the worst match ever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dancing Peasant posted:

I remember the Asian Nitro Girl had a nip slip while dancing one night on Nitro. It was one of the greatest nights of my life at 13 years old.

edit: I think Nash boned her at one point as well. :gonk:

"In a meet and greet in Sydney, Australia, Chae (Nitro girl) was asked if she was dating Kevin Nash. She said that she was. Kevin Nash a few weeks back on TV said he was going out after the show to 'eat a little Korean' so I guess that publicly puts one and one together" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 16, 2000

:lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gavok posted:

Now, the idea of a competently done feud between Goldberg and Warrior could be pretty good if done right. But a Goldberg vs. Warrior feud as written by Vince Russo? Holy poo poo. That would have been must-see TV right there. Somebody get me one of those Sliders alternate reality device thingies. I need to see a world where this happened.

I took a trip on one of those once and found myself on one of those late-season Sliders rape-planets. I asked the people if they wanted to leave and they said no, because they'd come there from a world where Russo booked Goldberg vs Warrior and they couldn't bear the thought of going back.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you haven't seen the Bobby Heenan documentary WWE did...well, it's not that great, but it has a segment from the big Observer WCW funny moments thing where Madusa and Heenan act like Nitro cologne smells like poo poo

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Captain Charisma posted:

If you haven't seen the Bobby Heenan documentary WWE did...well, it's not that great, but it has a segment from the big Observer WCW funny moments thing where Madusa and Heenan act like Nitro cologne smells like poo poo

It skimmed over his 7 years with WCW in less than 7 minutes, the oddest bit about the whole thing was basically how it just assumes Heenan is dead. They keep dragging his wife on to talk about things in the past tense and Bobby himself doesn't give a comment on anything.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Gavok posted:

A Vince Russo and Warrior collaboration would be amazing and the Warrior could probably flourish in Russo's crash TV environment. I can't believe they said no to that but said yes to so many things with assured failure. I'm not saying it would be great, but it would be memorable.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Giedroyc posted:

It skimmed over his 7 years with WCW in less than 7 minutes, the oddest bit about the whole thing was basically how it just assumes Heenan is dead. They keep dragging his wife on to talk about things in the past tense and Bobby himself doesn't give a comment on anything.

Well I don't think Bobby can talk, and his WCW tenure was pretty useless.

But the rest of it was pretty lovely. It started as a life story documentary and quickly became "18 guys telling the viewer how great Bobby was, interspersed with 5-10 second clips of him."

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The doc is avaliable on Netflix instant now, along with the new wrestlemania doc, Jeff Hardy, top 50 superstars, Big show's world and the 3 recent feature films if anyone is interested.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Captain Charisma posted:

"18 guys telling the viewer how great Bobby was, interspersed with 5-10 second clips of him."
Is this every WWE documentary?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

elf help book posted:

Now, yeah. Aside from Warrior, where you just substitute "awful" for "great."

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

elf help book posted:

The latest HBK set was pretty good with him and others admitting how much of a dick he got to be before he cleaned up his act.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Sue Denim posted:

A Vince Russo and Warrior collaboration would be amazing and the Warrior could probably flourish in Russo's crash TV environment. I can't believe they said no to that but said yes to so many things with assured failure. I'm not saying it would be great, but it would be memorable.

I dunno, the WCW were probably remembering all that happened the last time the Warrior was there.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pneub posted:

The latest HBK set was pretty good with him and others admitting how much of a dick he got to be before he cleaned up his act.

The first Ric Flair doc is really great to. Him going through his career, explaining what rasslin was like back then, and then the actual wrestling being incredible too. Plus insights into why he left Dubbya See Dubbya.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

El Duke posted:

Now, yeah. Aside from Warrior, where you just substitute "awful" for "great."
I distinctly remember there being two sides to that one -- "awful" for those who had to deal with him, but "great" to those who didn't but instead were fans (i.e. Edge, Christian, Chris Jericho).

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Reached 5th June 2000 Nitro and... well it's bollocks. The entire millionaires club vs New red mysterious liquid* feud makes half of an already depleted roster look stupid.

Tony Schiavone loses IQ points by the second "this is a signed verbal commitment match up" doesn't quite top his claim the other week of "th-that that could be ROCKET FUEL" about a petrol tanker. Mark Madden saying he finds a match "erotic" tops the disturbing commentary rankings, he is also trying to make snootchie boochies a catchphrase.

Matches well it has Russo vs Flair Hell in a cell knockoff that ends with MYSTERIOUS LIQUID.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb34HzbvElA

With 4 mins left of the show Nash faces the New Blood in a gauntlet match which really must be seen to be believed. It was in a botchamania because it makes no sense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HY_intJPQ4

Oh and Eric Bischoff becomes the new hardcore champion pinning Terry Funk and Sting beats World Champ Jeff Jarrett but ahhh they never said it was a title match. Jarrett is a 3 time world champ at this point and I don't think he could beat a nitro girl without 5 run ins and a guitar shot.

*For some reason they can say bitch, poo poo and Steiner can claim he's shagging everything that moves, but they can't say 'blood' in relation to the red liquid that keeps randomly appearing.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Pneub posted:

My Journey? I thought it was just a match compilation, no documentary?

If it's not I'd be interested in buying it because it's amazing how little I know about Michaels career and could use a recap documentary to familiarise myself.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Sue Denim posted:

My Journey? I thought it was just a match compilation, no documentary?

If it's not I'd be interested in buying it because it's amazing how little I know about Michaels career and could use a recap documentary to familiarise myself.

Crap, I didn't know they came out with another one. The 2008 one has a life story (up until WM23):
http://www.wrestling101.com/home/2008/06/shawn-michaels-heartbreak-and-triumph-dvd-review/

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I watched The Rise and Fall of WCW on Netflix right now, and I find the following interesting:

- They didn't mention how Flair left WCW for the WWF, or how many times Flair bailed out the company.

- They didn't mention how Kevin Sullivan as booker (either tenure) alienated the workers, and caused the jump of The Radicalz.

- They didn't mention how Bill Watts pushed like hell to get Ron Simmons (or black workers in general) over.

- They mentioned Megadeth and KISS, but didn't mention the godawful amount of money they blew on Master P, and how it backfired, and got the Rednecks over instead.

- They buried the poo poo out of Jeff Jarrett and David Arquette.

- No mention or even visuals of Sid, and how the late stages of WCW seemed to really lean on him.

- They didn't mention how they tried to GIVE AWAY seats to Nitro during the last years, and they couldn't fill the arenas.

- They didn't mention how they completely blew the Bret Hart acquisition.

- I was surprised they didn't comment on the experimental first Souled Out PPV. It was a trainwreck, but it was a ballsy move that warrants praise.

- They really buried Nash and Russo as bookers.

- They never really went in depth in to how they tried to reboot by pushing the new guys (the Thrillers, for example).

- I always felt one of WCW's weaknesses was their merchandising, which the WWF lived off of during their lean years. Seriously, during the 90s, the WCW's merchandise consisted of some t-shirts and rubber action figures. That was it. They couldn't keep nWo shirts in stock, but wouldn't produce shirts for any other stars, or try new merchandise for even the nWo.

- Compared to WWF, WCW had pretty 'meh' production value, until the nWo had been around a while. Then, they hired a bunch of young kids from design schools, and the video packages and visuals improved tenfold. I always thought that was pretty significant.

- They mentioned Paul Wight's jump, but ignored stuff like Hart (which I mentioned, Rick Rude, Sid, and even Haku (who WWF signed away while he was hardcore champion).

- Oddly enough, no mention of the run-in. Nitro ended in a nWo run-in every Monday night for about four years in a row. When the nWo debuted in the WWF, the first thing the fans did during the climax of a Jericho/Austin match (when the nWo was rumored to debut), the fans looked toward the entrance for the run-in. The repetition was something that really killed WCW's product.

- Overexposure was touched upon, with the two hour Nitro (and un-mentioned expansion to three hours) and the addition of Thunder. And the countless weekend shows: WCW Pro, WCW Saturday Night, and so on. How many 20-minute Hogan interviews could we sit through?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Red posted:

- They didn't mention how Bill Watts pushed like hell to get Ron Simmons (or black workers in general) over.

Wait, what? He was fired for a ridiculously racist interview in the PWTorch...

And making WCW Worse, god knows how, but THAT's not all his fault

edit: I find the whole Watts thing really interesting. On one hand Dusty was going through one of his lucid periods as booker so you get the Dangerous Alliance angle which is great and some other great matches (Some great Cruiserweight stuff, some good Tag stuff). And all the arenas are full.

But then you realize that the videos are all clipped cutting out the horrendous undercards, and the arenas are 70% papered which is why they're full, the workers hated his guts with his authoritarian regime and his rules which were fine in theory but pissed everyone off. Classic WCW...

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 24, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Pneub posted:

Crap, I didn't know they came out with another one. The 2008 one has a life story (up until WM23):
http://www.wrestling101.com/home/2008/06/shawn-michaels-heartbreak-and-triumph-dvd-review/
Thanks either way because I'll pick this one up because it's exactly what I wanted!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

LordPants posted:

Wait, what? He was fired for a ridiculously racist interview in the PWTorch...

And making WCW Worse, god knows how, but THAT's not all his fault

edit: I find the whole Watts thing really interesting. On one hand Dusty was going through one of his lucid periods as booker so you get the Dangerous Alliance angle which is great and some other great matches (Some great Cruiserweight stuff, some good Tag stuff). And all the arenas are full.

But then you realize that the videos are all clipped cutting out the horrendous undercards, and the arenas are 70% papered which is why they're full, the workers hated his guts with his authoritarian regime and his rules which were fine in theory but pissed everyone off. Classic WCW...

He got fired for making a dumb comment that he didn't think was racist, but Hank Aaron saw it (who worked for TBS), and pushed to get him fired. Hammerin' Hank put up with a lot of racism when he played, and once he had a position with some measure of authority, he (rightfully) had no tolerance for it.

If I remember correctly, he pushed Junkyard Dog like hell. He always insisted that JYD be his own man, and never get help during attacks/beatdowns, and always managed to hold his own against heels. So when he managed to fight off the bad guys on his own, the crowd ate it up.

I wish I could remember who it was that offered cash bonuses to the wrestler(s) who put on the match of the night. I think it was whoever was after Watts, but really knew nothing about wrestling - he just thought it was common sense to have an incentive for guys with guaranteed salaries to go out and bust their rear end for a good show.

Red fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 24, 2011

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

He got fired for making a dumb comment that he didn't think was racist, but Hank Aaron saw it (who worked for TBS), and pushed to get him fired. Hammerin' Hank put up with a lot of racism when he played, and once he had a position with some measure of authority, he (rightfully) had no tolerance for it.

If I remember correctly, he pushed Junkyard Dog like hell. He always insisted that JYD be his own man, and never get help during attacks/beatdowns, and always managed to hold his own against heels. So when he managed to fight off the bad guys on his own, the crowd ate it up.

I wish I could remember who it was that offered cash bonuses to the wrestler(s) who put on the match of the night. I think it was whoever was after Watts, but really knew nothing about wrestling - he just thought it was common sense to have an incentive for guys with guaranteed salaries to go out and bust their rear end for a good show.

According to Death of WCW it was the guy just before, a man named Frye? It's not clear why he left.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Maxwell Lord posted:

According to Death of WCW it was the guy just before, a man named Frye? It's not clear why he left.

Yeah, Kip Frye I think, Foley also mentions him in his first book. I think he got the bonus once but I can't remember who he was wrestling.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
Nope.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmonkey
Apr 28, 2010
I had a look at the 2001 WCW PPVs on wikipedia earlier today, they sound pretty good. Are they any good?