Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Biplane posted:

They don't even have pressurized cockpits.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Not being pressurized means no explosive blow-out when a shot grazes the hull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
No rails means no getting caught on lovely geometry in video games guys. C'mon lets use some common sense here.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Slantedfloors posted:

I prefer to think of it as him cutting into the armour budget to make up for all the money he's thrown away on superweapons.

"Wait - You mean getting rid of just the armpit armour from a trillion guys will recoup what we pissed away on that "Mind-Melter" bomb? ...Do it"
*Guy runs in*
"My Emperor! Terrible news about the Mega-Star Destroyer!"
"Ah, jeez. Get the Armour guys back on the phone."

Reading this in Robot Chicken Palpatines voice makes it all the sweeter.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Running an Empire is drat expensive, I mean it'd only be natural to cut corners where possible. Whats the point of having accurate rifles if you got hundreds of Stormtroopers firing at a target?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Ringo Star Get posted:

Running an Empire is drat expensive, I mean it'd only be natural to cut corners where possible. Whats the point of having accurate rifles if you got hundreds of Stormtroopers firing at a target?

We're not even talking hundreds, we're talking billions. gently caress me, with that amount of guys you could probably give them a blunderbuss made from plumbing supplies and still hit the intended target*.

*Plus many more things

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

NeonTurtle posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing. Not being pressurized means no explosive blow-out when a shot grazes the hull.

But then you can't see people's faces when you inexplicably are capable of looking into their cockpit? :confused:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Episode IV:
"They must be trying to return the stolen plans to the princess."

Why would the rebels be trying to return plans to the princess while she's imprisoned and the Imperials are looking for said plans?
Wouldn't a better line have been "They must be trying to rescue the princess. Get some more guards down there and watch for suspicious activity!" or something?

I know this is just a random line nitpick. I'm just wondering if there's some :spergin: response.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Pope Mobile posted:

Episode IV:

Why would the rebels be trying to return plans to the princess while she's imprisoned and the Imperials are looking for said plans?
Wouldn't a better line have been "They must be trying to rescue the princess. Get some more guards down there and watch for suspicious activity!" or something?

I know this is just a random line nitpick. I'm just wondering if there's some :sperg: response.

Vader was never all that bright.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
While I don't want to believe that, my mind keeps going back to moments in the PT where Palpatine may as well have said "Yup. I'm the Sith lord all you Jedi are after. Matter of fact, I'm trying to skew your world view, seduce you with the dark side and turn you trick you into becoming my apprentice," but Annie was busy being angsty.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I like to think during the torture sequence on Cloud City, Vader was asking stupid questions like "Are you an angel?" to Leia while she was being zapped or whatever.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Pope Mobile posted:

Episode IV:

I know this is just a random line nitpick. I'm just wondering if there's some :spergin: response.

You have to remember that the Falcon didn't expect to find the Death Star there. No one could have. They were expecting to find Alderaan there. Vader probably assumed that whoever was in the Falcon retrieved the plans, and, since no one knew where Leia was, assumed/hoped she would be on Alderaan. So they would have tried to bring the plans back to her on Alderaan.

Think of it this way: You're thinking of the question being answered as, "Why are they inside the Death Star?" But the answer to that is, "Uh...because we used a tractor beam on them." The question Vader is answering should be thought of as, "Hey, that's the ship that took off from Tatooine that we tried to chase down. Why are they in the Alderaan system?"

Vader wouldn't have assumed it was a rescue mission, because no one could possibly know where she needed rescuing from.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Okay, that actually makes sense. Guess I was just looking at it from a different point of view.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

You have to remember that the Falcon didn't expect to find the Death Star there. No one could have. They were expecting to find Alderaan there. Vader probably assumed that whoever was in the Falcon retrieved the plans, and, since no one knew where Leia was, assumed/hoped she would be on Alderaan. So they would have tried to bring the plans back to her on Alderaan.

You know, this makes me think. Alderaan is a fairly well known, popular planet (pretty sure it's on one of the major trade routes, the Hydian Way or whatever). So, there should be consistent space traffic around the planet: ships docking, leaving, space stations, everything (think Freelancer and when you approach to dock with planets).

So, when the Death Star shows up, no panicked HoloNet transmission, no ships fleeing, no "holy loving poo poo a moon-sized metal sphere", just ka-boom Alderaan.

Then the Death Star just kinda sits around, plinking off traffic incoming to Alderaan with its turbolasers and tractor beams? Seems like there should have been a few Star Destroyers with it to just keep blowing up anything that comes into the system.

:goonsay:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Well Obi-Wan did say he heard a "Thousand voices cry out" so it probably was known what was going on. I imagine the reaction was a mix of riots and standing around going "what the hell IS that?" keeping people from leaving.

The Imperials also may have sent stormtroopers ahead of time to suppress people, block ships coming and leaving. Not beyond Palpatine/Tarkin to kill a few thousand of their men to make a point.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
The Death Star could withstand any heavy bombardment. Stunt fighters weren't considered a threat.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Changing topic, has their ever been a race or culture in SW that is basically "Vikings in Space" or even just "Norwegians in Space" or have the EU authors just been like "eh, we have other tough guys that can cover those aspects." Just curious and I don't want to scour wookieepedia for the answer (in fear of what I might find accidentally)

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Slantedfloors posted:

Over THOUSAND FOOT DROPS. Jesus, whoever built that was a prick.

Did you know that 11 Ugnaughts died for every six vertical metres of that thing? It's a disgusting chapter in Naboonian history.

This contradicts the previously-established notion that the death of Ugnaughts is never lamentable (unless you're complaining that not enough of them died).

LLJKSiLk posted:

I like to think during the torture sequence on Cloud City, Vader was asking stupid questions like "Are you an angel?" to Leia while she was being zapped or whatever.

Now all I can see is Solo being electrocuted while Vader stands around complaining about sand.

"They didn't even ask me any questions."

Mahoshonen posted:

Changing topic, has their ever been a race or culture in SW that is basically "Vikings in Space"

MANDALORIANS MANDALORIANS MANDALORIANS

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

that awful man posted:

MANDALORIANS MANDALORIANS MANDALORIANS

I mean beside the Mandos - those guys are all New Zealanders, I'm actually talking about scandinavian accents.

I somehow got a Metalocalypse/Star Wars crossfic idea in my head and I can't get rid of it. :ohdear:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Mahoshonen posted:

Changing topic, has their ever been a race or culture in SW that is basically "Vikings in Space" or even just "Norwegians in Space" or have the EU authors just been like "eh, we have other tough guys that can cover those aspects." Just curious and I don't want to scour wookieepedia for the answer (in fear of what I might find accidentally)

There has not! There's any number of proud warrior race guys, but I can't recall any and Wookieepedia didn't have anything relevant from a search. So, either they're never there, or they're from some old comic run (the ones that came pre-Thrawn) that occupies a special level of canon where even Wookieepedia tries hard to pretend it never existed.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Not to say Star Wars is the epitome of creative writing but hasn't Star Wars in general been less about "X in space" cultures than Star Trek? Or at least less blatant about the cultures it apes?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

that awful man posted:

This contradicts the previously-established notion that the death of Ugnaughts is never lamentable (unless you're complaining that not enough of them died).
The disgusting Naboonian safety measures ensured we were robbed of mounds and mounds of Ugnaught corpses.

By comparison, each vertical metre of the Death Star's Reactor shaft killed over 17 Ugnaughts, and in a bonus, a large party of visiting Bothan dignitaries were once crushed to death by falling support members due to an accident on site.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
They were probably there to steal the plans anyhow.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ZeeToo posted:

There has not! There's any number of proud warrior race guys, but I can't recall any and Wookieepedia didn't have anything relevant from a search. So, either they're never there, or they're from some old comic run (the ones that came pre-Thrawn) that occupies a special level of canon where even Wookieepedia tries hard to pretend it never existed.

Does such a level of canon even exist? I've never seen anything that Wookieepedia doesn't consider important enough for it's own page.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

thrawn527 posted:

Does such a level of canon even exist? I've never seen anything that Wookieepedia doesn't consider important enough for it's own page.

It's article is literally "This Exists, Please Don't Talk About It"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Slantedfloors posted:

What, you mean the article for The Ewoks and the Magic Sunberries? Please, it has a poem in it and everything.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hell, it has a german version! Also something about furries and this article: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kneesaa

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Slantedfloors posted:

It's good that Nicodemus found work after NIMH, but it has to be a blow to his ego going from there to leading these ice skating Ewoks.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Gentlemen...Behold!!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mahoshonen posted:

Gentlemen...Behold!!

How dare you bring that out of the Book Barn thread and into here. No one else should have to see that.

(I would like to point out to this thread, however, that this book, which obviously features Thrawn, was released between Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future. This is currently my least favorite thing in the Star Wars EU, and I haven't even read it.)

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Mahoshonen posted:

Gentlemen...Behold!!

Underage bug orgies. :frogsiren:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mahoshonen posted:

Gentlemen...Behold!!

Are those the solo kids cause the expressions are killing me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost recreate Star Wars

Apologies if it's been posted. Felt like it should be posted here. It's as spot on as two people performing parts of droids can go. R2 specifically was perfect.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 17, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RagnarokAngel posted:

Are those the solo kids cause the expressions are killing me.

No, those are the kids that run into every horror situation in the Star Wars universe. Well, at least the ones not written by Hambly or Traviss.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Apologies if it's been posted. Felt like it should be posted here. It's as spot on as two people performing parts of droids can go. R2 specifically was perfect.

These two are always national treasures in my eyes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

(I would like to point out to this thread, however, that this book, which obviously features Thrawn, was released between Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future. This is currently my least favorite thing in the Star Wars EU, and I haven't even read it.)
If I recall correctly some of his men get killed and that's about it. McIntyre and Traviss stuff is still far worse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That was great, "well we've to Tatoinne before! You were built by Darth bloody-Vader!"

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Mahoshonen posted:

Gentlemen...Behold!!

I remember reading that series back in elementary school. To a twelve-year-old, some of the things that happened were actually kind of scary. Our library only had the first six books, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

That was great, "well we've to Tatoinne before! You were built by Darth bloody-Vader!"

They should pick that project up again when Lucas dies.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

They should pick that project up again when Lucas dies.

I know you're joking but Lucas, for all the bad things he's done, is actually really good about fan films. It's why there's millions of fan lightsaber duels on youtube not taken down. If they wanted to do this they could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I know you're joking but Lucas, for all the bad things he's done, is actually really good about fan films. It's why there's millions of fan lightsaber duels on youtube not taken down. If they wanted to do this they could.

Lucas is a businessman, and I think he knows fanfilms (being obviously fanfilms) just drive up MORE interest in the products.

If only Square-Enix realized this instead of being so litigious about their fans...they're literally sitting on Japan's Star Wars with Final Fantasy.