Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
bluefire579, enjoy The Road Warrior

All The President's Men was more of a detective story than a political thriller. It just so happened that the case involved the President. I enjoyed it, especially the mounting feeling of paranoia as people refused to talk and the story got bigger and bigger. It's crazy that this story broke before information was so readily available to anyone and the sheer amount of hours it must have taken to collect all the facts is astonishing. Redford and Hoffman were great, as usual.

1) Frankenstein- back to the Universal Monsters, I hope this is better than Dracula
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) Sleeper- I've somehow missed this Woody Allen film
4) Army of Shadows- I've loved every Melville movie I've seen and I don't expect this to be any different
5) The Friends of Eddie Coyle- owned this for a while, but never gotten around to it
6) The Battle of Algiers- seems to be right up my alley
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Wings of Desire- picked this up in the latest Criterion sale because it intrigued me
9) Steamboat Bill, Jr.- so far I've liked The General the best from my Chaplin/Keaton viewings, I'm ready to see some of Keaton's other stuff
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mistletoe Donkey Army of Shadows is great, go watch it.

Coal Miner's Daughter broke my string of masterpieces, but it's still a pretty solid film. Loretta Lynn seems like an interesting person and while it follows the general musical biopic structure it felt pretty sincere. Not really a fan of Country but the music was good. I dunno, not really something special but I enjoyed it.

Updated list:

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Die freudlose Gasse I need some more Garbo in my life.

Cabiria I've heard that this is the first great silent film, and after seeing it mentioned by Scorsese I guess I need to see it.

Offret Six months now I've been saying, I'll watch it this weekend. Still haven't seen it.

You, the Living I've liked my other Roy Andersson film, should be cool.

The Ascent Not seen anything by Shepitko but this is highly praised and nearly every post 1930s Soviet film I've seen has been a hit with me.

Head-On A pretty acclaimed German/Turkish film that keeps popping up but all I can think of every time I see the title is "apply directly to the forehead."

The Hawks and the Sparrows Salo aside, I think I like Passolini so I should check this out.

The Color Purple Another piece of Americana that I guess I should see.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

You, the Living I've liked my other Roy Andersson film, should be cool.

Not seen any on that list, so this sounded interesting - enjoy!

Lawrence of Arabia. Possibly the gayest film I've ever seen, with homoeroticism seeping out of every frame. It's an incredible story for sure, with outstanding performances from O'Toole, Quinn and Sharif. It's the representation of Lawrence that's so interesting, rather than the adventure story itself though. A man subject to the gaze, and adoring it. He's passionate and powerful. He's represented as typically effeminate, at least for the 60s, but this is never addressed within the film itself - he's never recognised as such by any of the characters - he's a hero, a man. What a beautiful paradox! with the complexity brought out more clearly by his corrupted humanity in the end - who's the brigand? A much more complex movie than I was expecting.

So my list becomes ...

La Dolce Vita. More Fellini.

Tokyo Story. Because I should.

Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

L'atalante. Proto-neauveau vague apparently.

Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

Battleship Potemkin Silent movies scare me.

Thing from another world Sounds a good watch judging by the general chat.

400 Blows For some reason I never finished watching it.

Jules et Jim I'd like to practice my French.

Enfants du paradis Another French classic.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

You get The Thing from Another World, knees of putty.

Liked Wings of Desire, some parts I almost lost interest, mostly when the angels would listen in on the boring ramblings of random people but the stuff towards the end made up for it and I loved everything with Peter Falk, wish there had been more with him actually.

Updated list!

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Love The Archers, just haven't gotten around to this one yet.

Great Expectations - Not a big Dickens fan but whatever.

L'avventura - Just too lazy to deal with foreign movies on my own

Children of Paradise - See Above

The Leopard - BURT

Mr. Hulot's Holiday - Everyone seems to love this one

The English Patient - One of the four remaining Best Picture winners I have yet to see.

Three Colors: Red - Once again, me and foreign movies..also, I haven't seen the second in this trilogy, if I should, just recommend that one.

Rome, Open City - Me, Foreign movies again

NEW ADDITION: Play Time - More Tati

Seen: Wings of Desire-8/10

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Wilhelm Scream you get The English Patient so you can say "Just three to go".

As for The Departed, much better movie than I was thinking. It was already spoiled it for me, so the big Plot Twist left was that it was pretty awesome movie. All the time I hear "The original is way better!" or "Scorsese won Best Picture for this? LOL!", so I was anticipating something in the lines of The Aviator or Gangs of New York, which are kind of a mess filled with good and a lot of bad, but it was great all around, EXCEPT, for some of the choice of music. I found the track selection not as goodperfect as Goodfellas, and in one occasion Gimme Shelter started to loop over...Gimme Shelter? Maybe it was just my DvD copy but that moment was weird. The scene I'm talking is when Matt Damon's girlfriend is moving into his house Gimme Shelter is playing in the background, they start to fool around and Frank calls in, and Gimme Shelter just starts again over Gimme Shelter. That bit was jarring. At least for me.

For some reason that's the only bad thing I have to say about the movie right now...

Yojimbo I seen the Dollars trilogy which one of the movies is a remake of this, but due to laziness never got around to see the original.

Once Upon a Time in America It's so long...

2001:Space Odyssey I'm always putting it off for whatever reason. The kind of movie I say to myself "I'll watch it tomorrow!" and tomorrow never comes.

The Trial I read somewhere that Orson Welles thought this to be his best.

Magnolia I'm not sure what it's about, only that it was made by the same guy who made There Will Be Blood, and that movie was brilliant. This should be too, hopefully.

Infernal Affairs Now that I have seen The Departed, got to watch the original!

M Loved the silent movies of Fritz Lang, still haven't watched a "talkie" from him.

On the Waterfront No excuse really...

Days of Heaven Only saw TTRL from Mallick, need to get around the rest of his catalog.

Brazil Another movie that I just keep delaying from watching for no real reason.

Have seen so far:Mulholland Drive, The Departed.

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
Electronico6, watch 2001

The Road Warrior was good, better than Mad Max in my opinion. The action sequences were solid, if a little dated, and pre-crazy Mel Gibson is usually a treat. 8/10

My List:

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: It's not that I have an aversion to subtitles, but with the English version coming out soon, it's just seemed easier to wait thus far

Winchester '73: Western? Jimmy Stewart? What's not to love

The Basketball Diaries: There's something intriguing about watching a person fall from grace

A Soldier's Story: This was recommended to me by a family friend a while back, but I've never gotten around to it

Three...Extremes: Asian horror intrigues me after seeing a lot of interesting ideas ruined by Hollywood

Out of Sight: Been sitting on this one for a while

The Informer: I understand this is a must-see

The Passion of Joan of Arc: From what I've heard, a must-see classic

The Cove: Documentaries tend to get lost in the shuffle when I watch movies for Oscar season

Hoffa: I'm a sucker for anything dealing with the mob

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10, Exit Through the Gift Shop 7/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, The Devil's Backbone 6/10, Antichrist 3/10, Boys Don't Cry 9/10, The Producers 7/10, Malcolm X 7/10, [Rec] 10/10, The Pianist 8/10, The Virgin Suicides 5/10, The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia 7/10, The Road Warrior 8/10

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Saw 12 Angry Men and I was very impressed by it. A very nice look into the American judicial system. I also liked how the men were slowly becoming more and more agitated with Fonda and how the heat was taking a toll on them. Lee J. Cobb and Henry Fonda were great, and it was nice to see some old time familiar faces like Jack Warden and Jack Klugman.

My List:
M - Heard alot about it, but never saw it.

Double Indemnity
The Dark Knight - Would like to put something more recent on my list, and this movie is just sitting on my DVR now.

Once Upon a Time In the West
Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended alot. Haven't seen it yet.

Dune
The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951)
Brazil

Animal Crackers
Duck Soup - Another Marx Brothers film that I'd like to see

Amadeus
The Princess and the Frog - I usually make sure that I watch a DVD when I buy it, but I bought this movie over a year ago and I still haven't seen it.

7 Samurai
Rashomon - Going to stick with a Kurasawa movie here.

Singin' in the Rain
My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

Ed Wood - Saw most Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaborations, but somehow missed this

12 Angry Men
Sunset Boulevard - Loved Double Indemnity and would like to see some more Billy Wilder.

bluefire, haven't seen any on your list, so I say try Winchester '73 since ... well ... Jimmy Stewart

wake up princess
Aug 13, 2010
Dmitri Russkie, watch Ed Wood. My favorite Tim Burton movie (speaking as someone who hates Tim Burton movies), and one of my favorite movies about movies.

My shameful list:

The Leopard. I hear this mentioned in all-time best lists fairly often, but it continually looks to me like just another period costume drama, even though I'm sure it's probably not.

Once Upon a Time in the West. I actually bought this on DVD about 4 years ago, but I've never actually sat down and watched it. The runtime's mainly what scares me off whenever I want to watch it, even though I sat through the extended cut of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly without ever getting bored. So I really have no excuse on this one.

Patton. Another one I own on DVD, and another one whose runtime irrationally scares me off.

The Double Life of Veronique. I've seen part of the Dekalog and the Three Colors trilogy so I know I love Kieslowski, but...this movie just does not pique my interest the way his other films have. The premise sounds, to be completely honest, kinda lame, though if there's anyone who can make a great movie out of it, it's Kieslowski.

Mean Streets. Another that I own, but whenever I actually get the desire to watch it I end up watching something else instead.

The Last Picture Show. This has always sounded like a movie I would really love, but for some reason I constantly forget about it for a few months at a time in favor of other movies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Raging Bull - I saw this a few years ago at a cinema revival series when I was a dopey teenager and all I remember was looking at my watch a whole lot. The film bored me out of my mind, which is one of the pieces of incontrovertible evidence indicating that I was a moron back then. Raging Bull is gripping, tragic, and emotionally complex. It's also amazingly well-made, and perhaps the reason it didn't resonate with me when I was 17 is because I wasn't familiar enough with the language of film. Scorsese is a genius with camera movements and he's all over the place with them here, particularly slow motion. There are so many pieces and layers of the film that it's hard to compress into a blurby review. The home-movie segment could be dissected for pages on its own (what music is that?). drat. Amazing movie.

4/4

SHAAAAAAME

1) Howards End - I'm going to watch every Criterion Blu-Ray, dammit, no matter how boring they look.

2) Aguirre: The Wrath of God - A classic, apparently. I adored Fitzcarraldo and apparently this one is even better. I've seen two Herzog films and I'm still not really sure what his style is, maybe this will help.

3) The Mirror - Woop woop, Tarkovsky! I think I rented this once but didn't watch it. The clip I saw of the barn on fire on Youtube was marvelous, though.

4) Secret Honor - I love Robert Altman and I love Richard Nixon (as a subject), and I've heard endless good things about this.

5) The Wages Of Fear - This has been on my Netflix queue ever since the Blu-Ray came out, but for some reason I haven't seen it. Why? Who knows! It looks exciting, though.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) City Of God - Apparently this is pretty good...?

9) Dial M For Murder - Well, heck, let's make this the Hitchcock spot.

10) Through A Glass Darkly - Bergman catch-up time. The first of a "trilogy" (not really). Apparently it's about some people on an island, but isn't that what every Bergman film is about? I guess this spot is reserved for more Bergmans.

Jules et Jim, Saving Private Ryan, Fitzcarraldo, The 39 Steps, Notorious, Run Lola Run, Downfall, The Searchers, Tokyo Story, Gone With The Wind, Touch Of Evil, Ikiru, The Apartment, Bicycle Thieves, Moon, The Color Purple. The French Connection, The Leopard, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Das Boot, The Conformist, Breathless, Where The Wild Things Are, Vertigo, Raging Bull (total: 26)

Princess, you get The Leopard.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Magic Hate Ball, Aguirre: The Wrath of God really is good. I can't decide if it is better than Fitzcarraldo.

I don't know why I keep watching Haneke. His movies are infuriating, and he refuses to give the audience any satisfaction (Funny Games being the best example). Code Unknown is no different. It is an "everything is connected" multiple narrative sort of movie, and it is subtitled "Incomplete Tales of Several Journeys". The Incomplete part of that title is readily apparent, as most scenes end by cutting to black before the logical conclusion of the scene. The various characters are only tangentially related at best, and it is difficult to decipher exactly what some scenes mean. Haneke is able to create an uncomfortable sense of dread out of common situations (the subway scene). This movie begs for a second viewing, but I really can't see myself sitting through this again. 3.5/5

I also watched The Double Life of Veronique, which was also puzzling. The themes are not as readily apparent as in the Three Colors, but the cinematography here was great. Irene Jacob is beautiful and gave a superb performance. 4/5

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
Bed and Board
The continuing adventures of Antoine Doinel.
Hearts and Minds
I always confuse this with Night and Fog
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Pretty popular I guess.
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
More Cassavetes? Yes.
A Bittersweet Life
The Koreans haven't let me down yet.
Mona Lisa
Don't know much about this, but it sounds good.
Beauty and the Beast
Seen a lot of love for this.
The Piano Teacher
Haneke nooooo
Sleuth
This sounds very similar to Deathtrap. I hope its better.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

I don't know why I keep watching Haneke. His movies are infuriating, and he refuses to give the audience any satisfaction (Funny Games being the best example). Code Unknown is no different. It is an "everything is connected" multiple narrative sort of movie, and it is subtitled "Incomplete Tales of Several Journeys". The Incomplete part of that title is readily apparent, as most scenes end by cutting to black before the logical conclusion of the scene. The various characters are only tangentially related at best, and it is difficult to decipher exactly what some scenes mean. Haneke is able to create an uncomfortable sense of dread out of common situations (the subway scene). This movie begs for a second viewing, but I really can't see myself sitting through this again. 3.5/5

Very similar to how I felt about it. I recommended it to you mostly because I was curious to hear your opinion. Though not a horrible movie, it's definitely my least favorite Haneke. My mini review from Criticker is eerily similar to what you said:

I enjoy being challenged by movies, I really do. But I have a limit. Watching Code Unknown is like playing a video game that's so difficult it's not even fun. I needed something, ANYTHING to grab hold of here, but the movie gave me nothing. Trying to appreciate the movie on any level was like grasping at strings. Maybe I need to give it another shot? Maybe, but I doubt I will anytime soon.

I felt that 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance did something similar, and did it much better.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

To Catch a Thief is another solid and beautiful mid/late career Hitchcock. There's nothing particularly exceptional about it in his canon, but that just speaks to how exceptional he was. Grace Kelly is impossibly beautiful.

TenSpadesBeTrump, A Bittersweet Life is great but Close Encounters is essential. I think it's Spielberg's most personal and important film.

New List:

Too Early, Too Late I tried watching this once but I started it TOO LATE since I had to wake up TOO EARLY the next morning! See what I did there?

Gertrud I keep forgetting I own this.

Red Riding 1974 I can't decide if this looks very good or totally lovely.

Comradeship I hope this is Pabst's BLUE RIBBON film!!

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

Our Hospitality I thought this was a short. It's not.

New one: Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

The Fantastic Mr. Fox This looks loving lovely and I swear to god I'm going to cut whoever recommends it to me.

The Awful Truth I don't have any interest, but I'm tired of it turning up on every "see this loving movie" list.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

penismightier you get Fantastic Mr. Fox. I shall await with anticipation, your tracking of me self and said cutting. It's actually a fun movie...if you age appropriate, if not, the animation is fun to look at. And you get Bill Murray voicing a Badger so it's not all bad. :D

As for 2001: A Space Odyssey, I should have watched it years ago really, and the shame of delaying watching it for so long is unbearable. Luckily now that I have, I can lie and say it I watched when I was 13 and totally got it. I bet the ladies will be all over me then. :c00lbert:
Anyway, I got everything I was expecting from 2001. A fantastic, perfectly shot and intelligent movie. For some reason I thought the movie was a lot longer and more slow, but the almost two hours and a half of runtime just flied by. Really great movie. Still prefer Strangelove from Kubrik though...and Blade Runner for Science Fiction while we at it.

The Shame List:

Yojimbo I seen the Dollars trilogy which one of the movies in it, is a remake of this, but due to laziness never got around to see the original.

Once Upon a Time in America It's so long...

Vertigo Saw a big chunk of it ages ago, didn't see it till the end for whatever reason.

The Trial I read somewhere that Orson Welles thought this to be his best.

Magnolia I'm not sure what it's about, only that it was made by the same guy who made There Will Be Blood, and that movie was brilliant. This should be too, hopefully.

Infernal Affairs Now that I have seen The Departed, got to watch the original!

M Loved the silent movies of Fritz Lang, still haven't watched a "talkie" from him.

On the Waterfront No excuse really...

Days of Heaven Only saw TTRL from Mallick, need to get around the rest of his catalog.

Brazil Another movie that I just keep delaying from watching for no real reason.

Have seen so far:Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Electronico6, you get M.

As for The English Patient, I agree with Elaine.

Updated list!

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Love The Archers, just haven't gotten around to this one yet.

Children of Paradise - See Above

The Leopard - BURT

Three Colors: Red - Once again, me and foreign movies..also, I haven't seen the second in this trilogy, if I should, just recommend that one.

Play Time - More Tati

NEW ADDITION: Fantasia - Never looked like something I'd really like so I never bothered.

Seen: Wings of Desire-8/10, The English Patient-3/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wilhelm Scream watch Children of Paradise, it's long but beautiful.

You, the Living is pretty cool and strange, about on par with Songs from the Second Floor. I didn't really get all of it but the mood hit a nerve that really got to me. I can't really describe it as it's really a collection of scenes tied together thematically. The attention to detail and framing of the visuals really good too.

Updated list:

La grande guerra I get the feeling this is one of those overlooked classics.

Yeelen I've seen very few African films, this one seems highly regarded and the imdb summary sounds cool.

Die freudlose Gasse I need some more Garbo in my life.

Cabiria I've heard that this is the first great silent film, and after seeing it mentioned by Scorsese I guess I need to see it.

Offret Six months now I've been saying, I'll watch it this weekend. Still haven't seen it.

The Ascent Not seen anything by Shepitko but this is highly praised and nearly every post 1930s Soviet film I've seen has been a hit with me.

Head-On A pretty acclaimed German/Turkish film that keeps popping up but all I can think of every time I see the title is "apply directly to the forehead."

The Hawks and the Sparrows Salo aside, I think I like Passolini so I should check this out.

The Color Purple Another piece of Americana that I guess I should see.

The White Ribbon I've tried not to put many recent movies here, but I've been wanting to see this since I first heard about it, but by the time it was available my enthusiasm had faded.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The White Ribbon I've tried not to put many recent movies here, but I've been wanting to see this since I first heard about it, but by the time it was available my enthusiasm had faded.

I'm not participating in this thread right now, so I can't really make you watch this. But I really wish more people would. I thought it was a fascinating film, a lot more subtle than Haneke often is. And it left me wanting to talk it through with people. At that point, though, it was still pretty hard to see. I might make it a MotM sometime just to see if I can spur discussion.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
PA, I agree with Clyde that you need to see The White Ribbon, but first you need to watch Head-On.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind was better than I was expecting. Richard Dreyfuss' growing obsession and his abandonment of his family was maddening, but the scene of him throwing things into his house was funny. The final meeting at the mountain seemed to drag on forever. It makes me want to see some of the other important Spielberg that I've missed. 4/5

I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.
Bed and Board
Hearts and Minds
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
More Cassavetes? Yes.
A Bittersweet Life
Mona Lisa
Beauty and the Beast
The Piano Teacher
Haneke nooooo
Sleuth
Brief Encounter
Its gonna be a Lean night.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
TenSpades, you get The Killing of A Chinese Bookie

Army of Shadows may be my favorite movie I've watched for this thread. Every scene was beautifully shot and the tension was through the roof. You really get a feel for what these characters go through just to attempt to survive the war. Melville has still yet to disappoint me.

1) Frankenstein- back to the Universal Monsters, I hope this is better than Dracula
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) Sleeper- I've somehow missed this Woody Allen film
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) The Friends of Eddie Coyle- owned this for a while, but never gotten around to it
6) The Battle of Algiers- seems to be right up my alley
8) Wings of Desire- picked this up in the latest Criterion sale because it intrigued me
9) Steamboat Bill, Jr.- so far I've liked The General the best from my Chaplin/Keaton viewings, I'm ready to see some of Keaton's other stuff
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

I think you should see this. In my opinion it's a little more experimental than In the mood for love, so interested to see what you think.

Thing from outer space. I realised I'd seen this before back in the day. Great fun rewatch, with a real sense of anti-science in the nuclear age. The airmen are apparently beyond reproach whilst still evidently flawed and it's the meddling scientists that are all bothersome, particularly those that seem a bit foreign. Interesting comparison to Carpenter's, where the ending had a very different tone.

So my list becomes ...

La Dolce Vita. More Fellini.

Tokyo Story. Because I should.

Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

L'atalante. Proto-neauveau vague apparently.

Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

Battleship Potemkin Silent movies scare me.

400 Blows For some reason I never finished watching it.

Jules et Jim I'd like to practice my French.

Enfants du paradis Another French classic.

Pierrot le fou more Godard.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

It makes me want to see some of the other important Spielberg that I've missed.

If you haven't seen Jaws, I hate you and you're a piece of poo poo. Just FYI.

bluefire579
Dec 12, 2009
knees of putty, 400 Blows is the only one of yours I've seen, so you get that one

Watched Winchester '73, a solid western starring the great Jimmy Stewart. It was pretty basic for an older western, perhaps a bit more action than most of its era. 8/10

My List:

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: It's not that I have an aversion to subtitles, but with the English version coming out soon, it's just seemed easier to wait thus far

Twelve O'Clock High: I'm a fan of old war movies

The Basketball Diaries: There's something intriguing about watching a person fall from grace

A Soldier's Story: This was recommended to me by a family friend a while back, but I've never gotten around to it

Three...Extremes: Asian horror intrigues me after seeing a lot of interesting ideas ruined by Hollywood

Out of Sight: Been sitting on this one for a while

The Informer: I understand this is a must-see

The Passion of Joan of Arc: From what I've heard, a must-see classic

The Cove: Documentaries tend to get lost in the shuffle when I watch movies for Oscar season

Hoffa: I'm a sucker for anything dealing with the mob

Watched: Thin Blue Line 8/10, Let the Right One In 9/10, Evil Dead 2 8/10, Exit Through the Gift Shop 7/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, The Devil's Backbone 6/10, Antichrist 3/10, Boys Don't Cry 9/10, The Producers 7/10, Malcolm X 7/10, [Rec] 10/10, The Pianist 8/10, The Virgin Suicides 5/10, The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia 7/10, The Road Warrior 8/10, Winchester '73 8/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

bluefire579 posted:

Watched Winchester '73, a solid western starring the great Jimmy Stewart. It was pretty basic for an older western, perhaps a bit more action than most of its era. 8/10

You should check out Anthony Mann's other westerns. They're pretty reliably good. He did 5 with Stewart - The Man from Laramie is probably the best.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010

penismightier posted:

If you haven't seen Jaws, I hate you and you're a piece of poo poo. Just FYI.

I thought there was more that I hadn't seen, but looking over a list of what he's directed, I see that by "important" I just meant 1941.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

HAhahahahaha. The classic.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

I love this thread because it's given me a good reason to watch some amazing films but at the same time, it makes me feel like a peon when I just don't enjoy the movies I'm assigned. I know I'm not going to like everything, but I see people writting these glowing reviews and talking about the movement of the film and analyzing everything. I read those and feel like I've completely missed a point of a movie.

For instance, Raging Bull. I found it very trying to watch, but there have been so many glowing reviews. What did I miss? Same thing with Tombstone. I found it fun, but very disjointed and uneven. What did I miss?

I love reading everyones reviews when they come back, but it sometimes makes me feel like someone who just doesn't get good movies. And I really, really want to get them. Does anyone else feel like this?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Sometimes movies just don't click, man. Raging Bull doesn't do it for me, either.

And Tombstone, like so many early 90s movies, is really overrated.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
I feel exactly the same way. Most of the time I come back here and have no clue what to write about the movie, because I have difficulty expressing those ideas. It generally ends up being "I liked it, Cassavetes rules" for me. I have no humanities education at all (I recently graduated with a mathematics degree from a school that offered no film classes), so I don't really know how to critically analyze anything. Everything I know about film has been self taught just by watching more, and reading CineD certainly helps too.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Watch what you say about Tombstone, man.

But I'm with you both on Raging Bull, suffers from the same thing a lot of Biopics do, one great performance surrounded by just an okay movie.

And yeah, sometimes movies just don't click with people, like me and almost every foreign movie these guys love (Especially Bergman, his stuff is a great cure for insomnia).

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

For instance, Raging Bull. I found it very trying to watch, but there have been so many glowing reviews. What did I miss? Same thing with Tombstone. I found it fun, but very disjointed and uneven. What did I miss?

I love reading everyones reviews when they come back, but it sometimes makes me feel like someone who just doesn't get good movies. And I really, really want to get them. Does anyone else feel like this?
Oh yeah. This is exactly how I felt after Raging Bull. There are actually a lot of famous art films where I reacted exactly that way. I think enjoying a movie is dependent on so many factors, though—where you are, what mood you're in at the time, how much you like the style and/or the actors—that sometimes poo poo happens. When I feel like I didn't "get" a film, I'll read someone else's review and see if it changes my view of the film. But one person's sweeping epic will always be someone else's four-hour nap.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

bluefire579 posted:

This is the only one on your list I've seen, but it's pretty good, so go for it.

Finally, finally, finally got around to The Right Stuff. I loved this movie. I thought Philip Kaufman's The Unbearable Lightness of Being was terrific, but I really wasn't sure how great this could be. I liked Apollo 13 alright, but I don't really get the reverance for it even among non-Ron Howard fans and I wasn't really sure a realistic movie about space travel could be made that interesting. I was a loving idiot. This is as ambitious as American movies get, an epic with great subversive humor about the frenzy surrounding the space race and moving performances that never oversell any of the drama. Everyone is great in this- Sam Shepard, Ed Harris, Dennis Quaid, Fred Ward, Barbara Hershey, Scott Glenn, you name it. This movie is over three hours long, but it goes by so fast you hardly notice. I'm bringing this to my friends ASAP so they can see this incredible movie.

Updated List:

1. Anything by Abbas Kiarostami- I haven’t seen any of his films, but all this talk about Certified Copy has me curious. I have access to Taste of Cherry and Ten.

2. Silent era: The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. 1930s: Little Caesar- Let’s get a classic gangster movie in here.

4. 1940s: Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

5. 1950s: Shane- I don’t know much aside from that iconic ending scene.

6. 1960s: The Manchurian Candidate- I’ve heard nothing but good things but never got around to it.

7. 1970s: Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

8. 1980s: Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

9. 1990s: Kundun- I never had much interest, but, well, it is Scorsese, and my library has a copy, so why not?

10. 2000s: Yi Yi (A One and a Two) - All I know about this is that it’s supposedly one of the best films of the past ten years and that the director died a few years ago of cancer.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood, La Dolce Vita, Sherlock Jr., Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse, In the Mood for Love, Hoop Dreams, Swimming to Cambodia, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The Right Stuff

EDIT: Raging Bull is loving incredible. Don't know what's wrong with y'all.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Part of liking film is simply knowing what your tastes are. I don't really care for Truffaut so I don't bend myself into knots trying to "get" his work. It's also a matter of knowing the language of film. Raging Bull didn't work for me so many years ago because I had no idea what he was trying to do, but after becoming familiar with the kinds of films that inspired him it clicked for me. Raging Bull is not an easy film, and there are many great films that are difficult, but just because you have the ability to understand a difficult film doesn't mean you have to like it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I find that often times I can really not like something at first, but after I learn more and ease myself into the style, I can come back to something I hated and then love it. I do this with music a lot, I used to hate rap altogether but I gave it time, eased in with the Beastie Boys and Cypress Hill and now I love all kinds of hip hop.

The same goes for movies. First time I saw Raging Bull my reaction was pretty much the same as Magic Hate Ball's. Even some movies I watched for this thread like M or The 400 Blows didn't resonate with me all that much. But hell, I've come back to Eraserhead since getting into Lynch some more and I've grown much more receptive to it. I think I gave it a 5/10 when I first watched it, but I'd definitely give it a 7 or an 8 after my second viewing.

Point is, you're not gonna enjoy every movie you watch here, don't feel bad about it. But sometimes you just need to give it some time and try again.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

meanmikhail, I'll give you Orpheus.

Oh God, I certainly hate to be a black hole of fun but E.T. wasn't really for me. I love Spielberg. I do. But this film seemed to lack the adventure, the thrills, and even the fun of his similar work. Not only that, but it felt completely uneven. At points it seemed like it was shorter than was necessary for dramatic purposes. The climax--the iconic bike chase--lasted only about a minute while the part just before it (in the quarantined house) took forever; after the chase, the little sister yells out "there they are!" and then it cuts immediately to her saying goodbye to E.T. It's just those type of things that were really jarring while watching and made it feel like an extended trailer. At least the score is great and there's still the inimitable Spielberg style throughout, so I certainly can't fault it for not being Spielberg-y. There are great scenes--like the aforementioned bike chase--and I never felt bored or wanted to shut it off. The kids are fun to watch, too, I just can't stand the design of E.T. (hardly something to dock it for, but I still feel the need to point it out). I will say that it was at its best moments entertaining and at its worst moments just average. I guess I just wanted the movie to surprise me, but it didn't. I understand how it's so beloved, I guess I just can't personally fall in love with it. Oh, and I'm really glad that I finally rewatched it.

List:

1. To Have and Have Not - All the trappings of greatness!

2. Three Colors: Blue - Curious about this trilogy, seems to be highly regarded so I'm looking forward to it

3. La Notte - Oh boy, I love L'avventura!

4. Midnight Cowboy - I'm a little unenthusiastic about this one, but it's probably near-essential

5. Léon: The Professional - This one's been shameful for a while

6. Faust - Pretty excited for this one, I'm very fond of the Murnau I've seen and this one has intrigued me for a while

7. *NEW* The Philadelphia Story - I've "seen" this movie (mostly in bits and pieces) probably five times but I honestly don't remember it; I remember being so disappointed because I expected to love it but I don't think I did

8. Sideways - Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church? I'm already uncomfortable. Also, I'm not sure I'll like this

9. Night and Fog - I need more documentaries under my belt so why not a Resnais? It sounds fairly intriguing

10. The Blue Angel - It's probably an issue that I have never seen a Josef Von Sternberg film...

Watched:

Dawn of the Dead - 3/5; Adaptation - 5/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3/5; Touch of Evil - 4/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 4/5; Almost Famous - 5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 3/5; Brazil - 5/5; Sunset Boulevard - 5/5; The Conversation - 3/5; Trainspotting - 3/5; L.A. Confidential - 4/5; Napoléon - 4/5; The Green Mile - 3/5; E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - 3/5

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

PDMChubby posted:

Léon: The Professional - This one's been shameful for a while

The only one I've seen, but it's definitely a worthwhile watch.

Just for continuity's sake, I took the time to watch Seven Samurai before seeing Ran that was chosen for me. Seven Samurai was absolutely amazing. The build-up to the action was methodical and involving. The resultant battles were not only enjoyable to watch, but understood from a tactical point of view. I love to watch Toshirō Mifune's body language, and Takashi Shimura was in his element.

Ran was the first Kurosawa movie I've seen not to include the above-mentioned acting pair. I suppose color was another new element, which was exemplified most by traditional costumes and scenery. One of my favorite scenes was Hidetora fleeing the burning castle, which must have been filmed in only one take. The entire sequence at the Third Castle was unbelievably brutal in a way I did not expect. I haven't read King Lear in a few years but the way they translated certain events into the context of Japanese social customs was done well.

Updated list:

The Big Sleep Don’t know much about this noir, liked Howard Hawks’ Scarface though.

Army of Shadows The description for this movie sounds incredible, especially after watching Melville’s subtle direction of Le Samourai

Reds Going through Warren Beatty’s films; this one seems to be the most epic in scope.

The Bicycle Thief Languishing at the top of my queue

La Dolce Vita I have never seen this or any other film by Fellini.

On the Waterfront One of those classics I'm obliged to watch at some point

Annie Hall Adding a comedy to this list

Gandhi Can this movie hold my attention for the running time? The Academy believes it’s worthy.

Barton Fink Recommended to me as a Coen brothers film.

The Insider I can get down with Michael Mann and Al Pacino any time, plus, intriguing subject matter.

Once Upon a Time in America, The Sting, MASH, Ran
[/quote]

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Lot of movies on your list that I enjoyed, Noctaurus. I'll give you The Big Sleep.

I just finished Three Colors: White. I liked it all right, but I didn't really feel engaged with the comedy. Rather than thinking it was funny, I just found Karol's plight abjectly depressing. I hated Dominique in particular (probably because she reminded me of people I've known). Of course, I probably wouldn't have despised her so if I had known by the end of the movie Karol would do something so much worse in revenge. Maybe that's what this film meant by "equality."

In any case, the plot and the humor didn't grab me. But the photography did. The cinematography, as with Blue, is gorgeous. The use of white as a dominant color and green as a secondary color made for some amazing shots. I liked the brief Juliette Binoche cameo too.

I have to say that above all, this movie made me understand Blue a bit better, especially the theme of inability to emotionally break free from one's past. Blue is about "liberty" in the sense that Julie is reacting to her tragedy by trying to erase it from her mind, which she slowly realizes doesn't truly liberate her at all. White is about Karol reacting to his past by trying to get even to establish his idea of "equality." I'm greatly looking forward to watching Red to see where all of this is going.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line; Blackmail; Slacker; The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover; Terminator 2; Blazing Saddles; The Thin Man; Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!; Sideways; Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia; L'Avventura; Gone With the Wind; Blue; White

Beverly Hills Cop: So I hear this one's better than the only one I've seen all the way through, Beverly Hills Cop III.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
A Night at the Opera: I liked Duck Soup but it didn't blow me away. I do feel like I should see more Marx Brothers films, though. Plus anything Queen named an album after already gets a few points anyway!
Primer: I've heard a lot about this movie here, and watching Cronocrímenes/Timecrimes and Timecop gave me a hankering for more time travel thrillers... especially when they don't have Van Damme in them.
Red: Welp, let's go for the hat trick!
Schindler's List: Highest movie on the IMDb Top 250 I haven't seen. I've been putting it off because there's nothing that appeals to me less than a movie I know will be a downer, no matter how good it is.
Strange Days: From the bits and pieces I caught on HBO when I was a teenager (I wasn't watching for the plot), I thought it was just some DTV schlock. Since then, I've heard it's a lot better than I gave it credit for. I do so love the cyberpunk.
Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song: I've heard a lot of stories about the production of this film, and how much Melvin Van Peebles had to overcome to make it, but I've never seen the finished product.
Uzak: I've never seen a Turkish film.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

CloseFriend posted:

Schindler's List: Highest movie on the IMDb Top 250 I haven't seen. I've been putting it off because there's nothing that appeals to me less than a movie I know will be a downer, no matter how good it is.
Well guess what. There certainly are downer points (to put it lightly), but it is one of the most perfectly made films ever. I think everyone should watch it.

The Princess Bride might be the best campy fun movie ever. I don't think I really have anything bad to say about it, everyone fit their roles so well. Maybe the bad guys didn't show off enough bad guy stuff, but even though the Count doesn't get a lot of screen time to do bad things, the fact he's part of a major plot point does it all for him.

New List:

1. The Great Dictator - All I know is Chaplin and the man the title represents. I have never seen Chaplin.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Nikita - Same director as Leon, all I know is it's action and has been recommended to me (I love a good action movie).

4. The King's Speech - Number 4 goes to the most recent best picture I haven't seen. And this one is about as recent as you can get.

5. Dial M for Murder - Hitchcock all day every day.

6. On the Waterfront - Classic Brando that I've missed.

7. Cars - The only Pixar movie I've never seen. I know it's not a CD favorite, but I've still heard good things.

8. American History X - All I know is swastika tattoo, curb stomping, and Fight Club like fanbase.

9. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Movie that has always intrigued me, but I'm uncertain why I've never watched it.

10. Platoon - Hey its got 2 of the stars of Major League. I imagine this has a bit of a different tone.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
marioinblack, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington has some good Jimmy Stewart.

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie was different than the other Cassavetes I've seen for this thread. It was clear that he was trying to make something that would appeal to a wider audience. This movie features the mob, guns, hitmen, a doublecross, and lots of nudity, all things I did not expect from Cassavetes. He still makes it his own, though, and he is not pandering. Gazzara was charming as always in the lead role. 4.5/5

Bed and Board
Hearts and Minds
A Bittersweet Life
Mona Lisa
Beauty and the Beast
The Piano Teacher
Haneke nooooo
Sleuth
Brief Encounter
Its gonna be a Lean night.
Sullivan's Travels
A classic that I've somehow missed.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

You're gonna watch Sullivan's Travels, TenSpadesBeTrump.

Liked Children of Paradise a lot more than I thought I would. The first part was kinda eh but I really enjoyed part 2. Didn't get the appeal of Garance either but to each their own.

Updated list!

The Leopard - BURT

Play Time - More Tati

Fantasia - Never looked like something I'd really like so I never bothered.

NEW ADDITION: Yi Yi - Never even heard of this one.

Seen: Wings of Desire-8/10, The English Patient-3/10, Children of Paradise-7/10

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Wilhelm Scream, you get L'Avventura.

Do people really see Léon: the Professional as more than just a slightly above average action-drama-thriller type deal? I don't understand it at all, I was really underwhelmed, but that's just me. Gary Oldman was spectacular and easily the best part of the film, and young Natalie Portman did a fantastic job as well. The film isn't really bad at all, I just found it very cliché and bland with a little mixture of near-pedophilia to spice it up (I guess). After seeing this film on a pedestal for a long time, I expected something much better. Maybe the finer points just flew under my radar. I can accept that. An average hitman-movie with some good acting by Gary Oldman and Natalie Portman. That's about it.

List:

1. To Have and Have Not - All the trappings of greatness!

2. Three Colors: Blue - Curious about this trilogy, seems to be highly regarded so I'm looking forward to it

3. La Notte - Oh boy, I love L'avventura!

4. Midnight Cowboy - I'm a little unenthusiastic about this one, but it's probably near-essential

5. *NEW* MASH - Rented once but never watched it, sounds enjoyable enough

6. Faust - Pretty excited for this one, I'm very fond of the Murnau I've seen and this one has intrigued me for a while

7. The Philadelphia Story - I've "seen" this movie (mostly in bits and pieces) probably five times but I honestly don't remember it; I remember being so disappointed because I expected to love it but I don't think I did

8. Sideways - Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church? I'm already uncomfortable. Also, I'm not sure I'll like this

9. Night and Fog - I need more documentaries under my belt so why not a Resnais? It sounds fairly intriguing

10. The Blue Angel - It's probably an issue that I have never seen a Josef Von Sternberg film...

Watched:

Dawn of the Dead - 3/5; Adaptation - 5/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3/5; Touch of Evil - 4/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 4/5; Almost Famous - 5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 3/5; Brazil - 5/5; Sunset Boulevard - 5/5; The Conversation - 3/5; Trainspotting - 3/5; L.A. Confidential - 4/5; Napoléon - 4/5; The Green Mile - 3/5; E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - 3/5; Léon: The Professional - 3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

PDMChubby, I still have yet to see Sideways but Paul Giamatti is amazing in whatever he does so watch that.

Breathless was good but the story moved way too slow. The plot just dragged for me. Regardless, I loved the style of everything, especially the jump cuts. The shot of Patricia on the escalator blew me away. Michel's characterization was excellent, and I kind of wonder if he was supposed to be breaking the fourth wall at the beginning or just talking to himself. 7.5/10

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#37 Rebecca - A Hitchcock film I didn't really even know existed til I got into classic films. I know absolutely nothing else about this one.

#39 The Rules Of The Game - It's held strong onto #3 in the TSPDT Top 1000 for a long time, although I honestly don't know anything else about it other than that it's French.

#45 Persona - Bergmanbergmanbergmanbergmanbergman.

#49 Bowling For Columbine - I saw Sicko and it was funny, and I could use some solid political humor.

#50 Mean Streets - Harvey Keitel's the loving man.

#51 Saving Private Ryan - Sorry.

#53 Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song - Are we all just adding this to our lists? Eh, it's been awhile since my last Blaxploitation adventure anyway.

#54 Network - A newscaster goes crazy and that's all I know.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West, Moon, The 400 Blows, Rosemary's Baby, City Of God, Dog Day Afternoon, Breathless