Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Achtane posted:

There's this game I watched a playthrough of because it was of such B-quality...seems like it was on Sega Saturn but don't hold me to that. I believe it was Japanese and had quite a few animated cutscenes. I have no idea what type of game it was, but here's why I'm posting this.

The story took place in space.
It had a distinctive cheesy theme song that went like:
"Bowie, this is your chaaaance, so give it all you've gooooot"
And I'm pretty sure the phrase "use your super bazooka" was in there too. I assume "Bowie" was the main character.

I would love to know what game this is, it's been haunting me for a long time now.

This is a Turbo Grafx CD game called Final Zone II. Definitely Youtube the cutscenes as it has some of the worst voice acting ever. The main character is indeed named "Haward Bowie."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fire place
Oct 27, 2005
how are you

baka kaba posted:

Ultimate Qix (or maybe Volfied)? Sounds like a Qix clone anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRkf7wt9vnQ

That's it! Thanks!

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Looking for an old fps that I played on my Macintosh Performa 550. It was set during World War II in Egypt. You were an Allied soldier and making your way through a pyramid. There were all sorts of monsters and stuff, and you came across dead Nazis every now and then who helped you on your way to the center. When you finally made it to the center, you discovered that all of the monsters were just the dreams of the head-monster in the middle.

Any ideas? I've been wracking my brain about this for 10+ years.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

kaujot posted:

Looking for an old fps that I played on my Macintosh Performa 550. It was set during World War II in Egypt. You were an Allied soldier and making your way through a pyramid. There were all sorts of monsters and stuff, and you came across dead Nazis every now and then who helped you on your way to the center. When you finally made it to the center, you discovered that all of the monsters were just the dreams of the head-monster in the middle.

Any ideas? I've been wracking my brain about this for 10+ years.

Sounds like Pathways Into Darkness, an early Bungie game.

Modus
Aug 3, 2005

al-azad posted:

Conqueror AD 1086

Just looked it up and this is the one. Thanks a lot!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
This is not a game specifically, but I have the vaguest of memories of using a console that used plastic overlays to render graphics. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Vectrex, but I can't be certain. Were there any other consoles that used those overlays?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Al! posted:

This is not a game specifically, but I have the vaguest of memories of using a console that used plastic overlays to render graphics. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Vectrex, but I can't be certain. Were there any other consoles that used those overlays?

Magnavox Odyssey.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Al! posted:

I think the Magnavox Odyssey did.

Edit: poo poo

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Al! posted:

Magnavox Odyssey leaned pretty hard on them.

e: buh honk

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Yeah, I took a look at a couple of Oddessy overlays and man that poo poo lurched right out of my memories. Judging by how much they go for now, we should'a held onto the drat thing. I'm sure my dad sold it at a garage sale years ago.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Okay so I just remembered a game I played once or twice at my friend's house after school in the late 1990s.

-An MMO platformer on PC.
-Very cartoony art style
-Player avatars were comprised of separate head, torso and legs components which could be swapped out as you found new parts.
-I specifically remember one section where if you had limburger cheese in your inventory, giant nose statues would suck you up, allowing you to reach new areas.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Christo posted:

Okay so I just remembered a game I played once or twice at my friend's house after school in the late 1990s.

-Very cartoony art style
-Player avatars were comprised of separate head, torso and legs components which could be swapped out as you found new parts.
-I specifically remember one section where if you had limburger cheese in your inventory, giant nose statues would suck you up, allowing you to reach new areas.

Maple Story? It's still going.

Themselves
Feb 6, 2004

by Ozma
How about this. The game was during the era of like the apple II. I played it on an IBM probably back in the day. All I can remember is it had good graphics, a girl as the main character, (not tomb raider), and it was a platformer with maybe daggers that you threw?

I've been wondering the name of that game forever.

Possibly a jungle environment?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Hakkesshu posted:

Sounds like Pathways Into Darkness, an early Bungie game.

You're absolutely right. Thanks! I feel like my life's been made more complete.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Christo posted:

-Very cartoony art style
Castle Infinity

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

al-azad posted:

Maple Story? It's still going.

Not maple story. I'm pretty sure it was an american or maybe european developed game.

EDIT: ^^^ Oh awesome that's totally it!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Themselves posted:

How about this. The game was during the era of like the apple II. I played it on an IBM probably back in the day. All I can remember is it had good graphics, a girl as the main character, (not tomb raider), and it was a platformer with maybe daggers that you threw?

I've been wondering the name of that game forever.

Possibly a jungle environment?

Probably Jill of the Jungle

Themselves
Feb 6, 2004

by Ozma
Nice, I think you are right.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Neo Rasa posted:

This is a Turbo Grafx CD game called Final Zone II. Definitely Youtube the cutscenes as it has some of the worst voice acting ever. The main character is indeed named "Haward Bowie."

Thank you so much!

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
An old PC adventure game, I remember playing the demo of it around the time of Riven. I think the demo may actually have come with Riven, but I could be wrong. It was played from a first person perspective, and the demo featured a level in a building which looked like how Da Vinci's workshop looks in media (mahogany tables, full of books, full Italian style architecture). Outside the building I think it was Venice, but you couldn't go far into it, you could just go onto a waterside veranda next to the canals. This took place at night. I think the character you played as may have been from the future, and I vaguely remember him wearing goggles and possibly having Predator style active camouflage.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

An old PC adventure game, I remember playing the demo of it around the time of Riven. I think the demo may actually have come with Riven, but I could be wrong. It was played from a first person perspective, and the demo featured a level in a building which looked like how Da Vinci's workshop looks in media (mahogany tables, full of books, full Italian style architecture). Outside the building I think it was Venice, but you couldn't go far into it, you could just go onto a waterside veranda next to the canals. This took place at night. I think the character you played as may have been from the future, and I vaguely remember him wearing goggles and possibly having Predator style active camouflage.

Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Thank you! 13 years of wondering, and finally I have an answer.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
Old Mac II (I think) game, rails shooter but with motion captured actors and photographic backgrounds, but fairly low res, MK style. I was absolutely convinced that this game was called Bloodbath, and didn't even realise that the knowledge in my head was inaccurate. Mobygames has quite a few "Blood Bath" and "Bloodbath" entries, but none of them look remotely like this. Thanks a lot!

Pizza Dude
Feb 22, 2011
This is a repost from the other thread (why are there two?) because for some reason trying to remember these games is killing me inside.

This is a real longshot since I remember very little about these games, but they were all from the same demo disc, so maybe somebody will remember. These were all on a demo disc from PC Gamer that included demos for both Diablo and one of the Might & Magic games, so it's probably from around '97 or so? I remember buying the magazine purely because there was a cool looking ad for Shadow Warrior in it.
Anyway, the first one I remember was a 1st person point and click adventure game, and I'm pretty sure it was in all black and white and had a noir setting. I remember turning around at one point and get shot and killed pretty early on the demo and I was too scared to go on.
The second one is also a 1st person point and click adventure, and I think this one was maybe set in Roswell or something? I remember the first area being a mobile home of some sort, and for some reason I wanna say that your character was looking for ufo's or aliens. I seem to remember opening a closet or window, and there being a grey style alien looking at you.
The last one was a top down, gauntlet style game. Besides the fact that it was from around 97 and for the PC, I don't remember anything, but that being said, the memory of it makes me want to play gauntlet knock-offs, so I guess you can just recommend some of those instead.
Also, one of the Crusader games was on the demo disc as well.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Pizza Dude posted:

This is a repost from the other thread (why are there two?) because for some reason trying to remember these games is killing me inside.

This is a real longshot since I remember very little about these games, but they were all from the same demo disc, so maybe somebody will remember. These were all on a demo disc from PC Gamer that included demos for both Diablo and one of the Might & Magic games, so it's probably from around '97 or so? I remember buying the magazine purely because there was a cool looking ad for Shadow Warrior in it.
Anyway, the first one I remember was a 1st person point and click adventure game, and I'm pretty sure it was in all black and white and had a noir setting. I remember turning around at one point and get shot and killed pretty early on the demo and I was too scared to go on.
The second one is also a 1st person point and click adventure, and I think this one was maybe set in Roswell or something? I remember the first area being a mobile home of some sort, and for some reason I wanna say that your character was looking for ufo's or aliens. I seem to remember opening a closet or window, and there being a grey style alien looking at you.
The last one was a top down, gauntlet style game. Besides the fact that it was from around 97 and for the PC, I don't remember anything, but that being said, the memory of it makes me want to play gauntlet knock-offs, so I guess you can just recommend some of those instead.

Try this link?

Pizza Dude
Feb 22, 2011

HoldYourFire posted:

Try this link?

Doesn't seem to be one of the discs that person had, but I did notice one had Crusader: No Remorse on it, so I'll google the names from that one. Judging by the year, I'm fairly certain it was '96 and Diablo was one of the demos.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Dixie Flatline posted:

Did the tree have legs? Gobliins 2 had a screen with a tree in it that was used alot in magazines: http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/gallery/category/C576/

I'm pretty sure that's it! Now I'm a little concerned how the goblin became a female in my mind, but the rest is spot on! Thank you!

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

Pizza Dude posted:

Not sure about the first two, but the third could very likely be "Get Medieval!"

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
What was the name of the free (?) multiplayer mech game available on aol in the early to mid nineties?

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

gvibes posted:

What was the name of the free (?) multiplayer mech game available on aol in the early to mid nineties?

Terris? I haven't thought about it in easily ten years, but now I remember the CD clear as day..

edit: whoops, somehow missed the word mech, sorry!

dregan fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 15, 2011

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X
I'm going to give this one another try:

Mid 90s top-down driving game for PC (most likely DOS), with graphics similar to Death Rally. I think there was a stage where you had to manouver your car between cones (which I remember were arranged in a spiral shape, and I think there was a time limit).

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

The Entity posted:

I'm going to give this one another try:

Mid 90s top-down driving game for PC (most likely DOS), with graphics similar to Death Rally. I think there was a stage where you had to manouver your car between cones (which I remember were arranged in a spiral shape, and I think there was a time limit).
Powerdrive? I had it for the Amiga, but there was a DOS version.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gvibes posted:

Apparently the full name was "Multiplayer Battletech: Solaris" but I only remember it just being called "Battletech".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplayer_Battletech:_Solaris

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Y'know, I'm generally very good about remembering names of games I play, but just now I had a flash of a memory, vivid in parts but full of a lot of holes, of an oooold computer game. Thinking back, this may have been the first video/computer game I ever played, which probably would have put the date around 1991/1992 (I'd have been five or six).

I know it was a computer game, and an edutainment title. The main character was a blocky robot who I remember looking kinda like a blue ViewFinder with legs. This robot was trying to save a city from being eaten by giant purple aliens with long snouts.

The game was played in a big overhead view of the city. The purple aliens would float around and occasionally eat buildings with their big, conical snouts. What the player had to do was create walls of robots to block the aliens in. You would select a city block, and then a direction for the wall to be built, and keep doing this until the aliens were quarantined.

But it wasn't as easy as that, because every time you wanted to build a wall, you had to answer a question. This is where I wish I could be more helpful, because I don't remember what kind of edutainment game it was. Maybe you were answering math problems, maybe geography...Hell, I could barely even read at the time so of course I'm not going to remember this.

Anyway, to beat a level, you had to completely surround the aliens, and I presume you got points for how many blocks were un-eaten at the end.

The only other thing I remember is the sound. I can almost hear the game music in my head right now, but I may be remembering Carmen Sandiego or something. I also remember that the game's protagonist had voice acting, and would command you to "Click on a city block" and "Click on a direction arrow!" Also, when the aliens would eat the buildings, they would do so with a surprisingly menacing (for a little kid) sucking noise.

I don't remember when this was. Maybe I was older than six, but I'm sure it was one of the first computer games I ever played. It also may have been shareware.

Any ideas?

hehehewwwwwww
Nov 24, 2005

grewafwaefawe

hehehewwwwwww fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 18, 2019

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dominic R. posted:

playstation game

top down view

i remember you can drive a tank. whenever you'd drive over the enemy barracks/tents, they would get squished and you could see bloood

whenever you won a level, you'd get a fmv of some dude making a speech

:( please help
Mass Destruction?

hehehewwwwwww
Nov 24, 2005

rewafewafewaf

hehehewwwwwww fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 18, 2019

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

boner meter posted:

Old Mac II (I think) game, rails shooter but with motion captured actors and photographic backgrounds, but fairly low res, MK style. I was absolutely convinced that this game was called Bloodbath, and didn't even realise that the knowledge in my head was inaccurate. Mobygames has quite a few "Blood Bath" and "Bloodbath" entries, but none of them look remotely like this. Thanks a lot!

The information in your head is indeed accurate--I played this game too. Quick google search turns up this which I'm pretty sure is the game you're talking about.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Ok, this one's been bugging me for a little while now:

Mid Nineties PC fighting game. Round based like Street Fighter etc. I played a demo from a PC Format/PC Gamer disc probably 1994/1995.

Don't think it was proper 3D fighting, but it had some odd isometric style view that gave the impression of being 3D. Very pixelated sprites, wasn't going for polygons, probably a bit too early. I always thought it was called Warriors or had that in the name, but Google isn't helping. I don't think I've ever heard it referenced since, probably bombed.

Just remember it looked pretty good for a game back then and the camera angle was pretty cool.

Anyone got any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Major Ryan posted:

Ok, this one's been bugging me for a little while now:

Mid Nineties PC fighting game. Round based like Street Fighter etc. I played a demo from a PC Format/PC Gamer disc probably 1994/1995.

Don't think it was proper 3D fighting, but it had some odd isometric style view that gave the impression of being 3D. Very pixelated sprites, wasn't going for polygons, probably a bit too early. I always thought it was called Warriors or had that in the name, but Google isn't helping. I don't think I've ever heard it referenced since, probably bombed.

Just remember it looked pretty good for a game back then and the camera angle was pretty cool.

Anyone got any ideas?
Savage Warriors?