Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grobbit
Jan 20, 2009
Was watching all the available episodes of Limmy's Show on Iplayer (thanks to whoever first recommended it, am really enjoying it) and I was surprised to hear what sounded like a bit of Warhammer Online music playing at around 15mins in, cant be 100% sure but sounds so similar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00zh0vr/Limmys_Show_Series_2_Episode_4/

Presumably there isn't any way to watch the 1st series unless the BBC decides to repeat it future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Grobbit posted:

Presumably there isn't any way to watch the 1st series unless the BBC decides to repeat it future?

Could always pop down the shops: http://www.limmy.com/2010/10/limmys-show-dvd/

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Now she just had a passive dig at GTA. I'm pretty sure i hate this fickle twit now.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Watched a couple of minutes of Mrs Brown's Boys last night. Never again.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The new series "Twenty Twelve" started last night (iPlayer). It's not too bad though it wants to be The Thick Of It or People Like Us, but it isn't.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

DaWolfey posted:

The new series "Twenty Twelve" started last night (iPlayer). It's not too bad though it wants to be The Thick Of It or People Like Us, but it isn't.

It was pretty hit and miss I thought. The PR woman seems to be the funniest character for me now, especially when they visit the agency she works for.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

DaWolfey posted:

The real-life countdown clock that they unveiled today broke down...

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Pablo Bluth posted:

It was that which inspired me to watch it in the first place!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Grobbit posted:

Was watching all the available episodes of Limmy's Show on Iplayer (thanks to whoever first recommended it, am really enjoying it) and I was surprised to hear what sounded like a bit of Warhammer Online music playing at around 15mins in, cant be 100% sure but sounds so similar.

I implore you to check out his 'World of Glasgow' podcast from a few years back, so much of the material in the TV series is recycled from it (but the originals are superior in every way). A good chunk of it is still up on iTunes, and I'm sure the rest will be on some torrent site somewhere.

Plus there is a sort of narrative which runs through it all so it's best listened to in order.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/limmys-world-of-glasgow/id176541116

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

SAZattack posted:

Hey guys,

I'm working as a teaching assistant at a Spanish school and the teacher asked me to recommend some good British TV programmes suitable for 12-16 year olds that the kids at the school might enjoy watching. Can you recommend any to me?

I honestly haven't got a clue what to recommend, besides Doctor Who, and I've been told by my boyfriend that you guys should be able to help me out!

Thanks in advance!

Fawlty Towers? I'd like to think people would be able to see the Manuel character and his interactions in the context of a spanish person in 2011 amusing, though it's hard to say I suppose. Just remember that they are 12-16 so don't show them, poo poo pretty much. When I was 12-16 and did French I had to watch some terrible infotainmonumentation, so always try and be a little contemporary. If anything you might want to look across the pond for some shows set in LA as they occasionally have a Mexican character. Off the top of my head The Shield, Six Feet Under, Dexter. Although showing an episode of The Shield to a 13 year old might not be the best thing in the world, it would be more engaging than showing shows meant for pre-schoolers.

I hate Lily Allen due to the pressure I perceived she put on bands like Radiohead and such. I remember at the time a lot of bands were like 'eh' about sharing music then Lily Allen decided to sneeze diarrhoea all over the place about her loving stupid zero opinions about file sharing and now we have stuff like the digital economy act which was accepted by most due to bands folding thanks to media pressure supplied by Lily Allen. I see the Digital Economy Act a slippery slope to, a poo poo internet. Not that I'm blaming Lily Allen for a potential information dystopia, although she doesn't make it easy on herself.

The oval office.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

How hard can it be to make a countdown clock that doesn't break down. :sigh:

First episode of Lily Allen's show is finished. All it did was show how awful she really is. It was quite funny when she stormed out during the focus group when they all gave negative feedback to the clothes being linked with her.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

keep punching joe posted:

I implore you to check out his 'World of Glasgow' podcast from a few years back, so much of the material in the TV series is recycled from it (but the originals are superior in every way). A good chunk of it is still up on iTunes, and I'm sure the rest will be on some torrent site somewhere.

Plus there is a sort of narrative which runs through it all so it's best listened to in order.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/limmys-world-of-glasgow/id176541116

I've only ever listened to the random World of Glasgow snippets that are up on Youtube, but they are fantastic. You're totally right about them being better than the ones that getremade for the show. Jacqueline McCafferty, as funny as it is seeing Limmy all dolled up, is just so much better in the audios. The fact that they can go on for longer than a TV sketch would allow (saying that, Dede had that big rambling bus trip sketch a couple of weeks back) means theres so much more to take in.

I will say however, if they ever film the "Call On Me" Jacqueline sketch, the visual sight of that will probably kill me as much as it did hearing it the first time.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Grobbit posted:

This thread needs more Limmy love, as far as the first series goes there's a lot of remakes from the videos on his site - so if you enjoy those then you'll be happy with paying money for the DVD.

http://www.limmy.com/videos/

All of them are really worth a watch, especially loved the earlier ones back in the day because if you find someone who knows them the drunken quotes feed brilliant banter.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

On 14 March, 2011, the BBC confirmed that Outcasts had been cancelled

I don't know whether to even bother watching the last episode.

Why do they even bother trying to make Sci-fi?

-Outcasts
-The Deep
-Defying Gravity

All poo poo.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Daimo posted:

Why do they even bother trying to make Sci-fi?

-Outcasts
-The Deep
-Defying Gravity

All poo poo.

Dr Who.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

Dr Who.

There are vast voids of time and space between Dr Who and good sci-fi. It's not like sci-fi is hard to write, there are a lot of good writers out there. It just seems that TV as of late seems to have incompetent writers behind every show and each attempt tries to mix in the modern day generic trash (like methods of storytelling, cliches, etc) that most of the popular shows have and it simply doesnt work because those who like that generic bollocks don't like the sci-fi and those who like the sci-fi don't like that generic bollocks.

It's like most of the modern sci-fi shows have sci-fi in the background with the drama, romance, and everything else as the main driving forces and it should really be the other way around or at least a perfect balance of the two.

edit: Sci-fi shows are best when they bring highly imaginative, unique and creative wonders and stories to the screen; not [stereotypical character conflict] in [half assed sci-fi setting] No. 15.

Kin fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 16, 2011

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I know this isn't exactly TV, but I've seen radio chat in here before. Just thought I'd let everyone know that, for comic relief, Radio 1 is trying to break their record for the longest broadcast by one team. Chris Moyles (who I imagine most goons hate) and his sidekick Comedy Dave are attempting to break Simon Mayo's record of 37 hours, and going to try and push through to 52+ hours to break the world record.

I know most goons hate him, but it'll be pretty interesting to tune in to once or twice once they get pretty far in. They've just started at 6:30, and said they hope to still be going at 10:30 Friday morning for the world record, but the main goal is 37 hours, so Thursday 19:30.

You can listen and watch (they've got live webcams up) here.

N3RDSTER fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 16, 2011

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

Metrication posted:

Watched a couple of minutes of Mrs Brown's Boys last night. Never again.

Michael Legge said 'This is the sit-com in Extras, isn't it?' and it's amazing how right he is. Scary.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

N3RDSTER posted:

I know this isn't exactly TV, but I've seen radio chat in here before. Just thought I'd let everyone know that, for comic relief, Radio 1 is trying to break their record for the longest broadcast by one team. Chris Moyles (who I imagine most goons hate) and his sidekick Comedy Dave are attempting to break Simon Mayo's record of 37 hours, and going to try and push through to 52+ hours to break the world record.

Chris Moyles is a tedious oval office. I hope he fails in his record-breaking. I will also settle for exhaustion causing his heart to fail.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Cerv posted:

Might this embarrass them into finally cancelling the show? I can only hope, because I haven't the will to endure yet another marathon (aka one episode)

Was this a Jimmy Carr joke originally?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Kin posted:

There are vast voids of time and space between Dr Who and good sci-fi. It's not like sci-fi is hard to write, there are a lot of good writers out there. It just seems that TV as of late seems to have incompetent writers behind every show and each attempt tries to mix in the modern day generic trash (like methods of storytelling, cliches, etc) that most of the popular shows have and it simply doesnt work because those who like that generic bollocks don't like the sci-fi and those who like the sci-fi don't like that generic bollocks.

It's like most of the modern sci-fi shows have sci-fi in the background with the drama, romance, and everything else as the main driving forces and it should really be the other way around or at least a perfect balance of the two.

edit: Sci-fi shows are best when they bring highly imaginative, unique and creative wonders and stories to the screen; not [stereotypical character conflict] in [half assed sci-fi setting] No. 15.

Hell I tried paraphrasing your post but it's all perfectly pertinent! I agree wholeheartedly with this and its exactly what makes the difference between Star Trek, Dr. Who, Firefly etc and Outcasts.

-

Holy poo poo I just discovered you can resize the post box!
e: Oh only in Chrome.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Kin posted:

Its not like the settings have to be all cgi and exotic looking, BSG was mostly brilliant, and 90% of the time was set inside the ship or other planets that all happened to look like Earth but you would happy to accept it. TNG was mostly the bridge, ten forward and engineering (with the odd hokey holodeck episode tossed in) and worked. I would prefer an expensive but believable ship than terrible budget cgi that always looks wrong.

Mind you, that said, as much as I enjoy Doctor Who, I wish the relaunched series would be a bit more interesting, oh hey I have this machine that can go literally anywhere in space and time, so lets spend most of it visiting earth and human run space stations instead of other planets or London in [time period].

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Lord Dekks posted:

Its not like the settings have to be all cgi and exotic looking, BSG was mostly brilliant, and 90% of the time was set inside the ship or other planets that all happened to look like Earth but you would happy to accept it. TNG was mostly the bridge, ten forward and engineering (with the odd hokey holodeck episode tossed in) and worked. I would prefer an expensive but believable ship than terrible budget cgi that always looks wrong.

Mind you, that said, as much as I enjoy Doctor Who, I wish the relaunched series would be a bit more interesting, oh hey I have this machine that can go literally anywhere in space and time, so lets spend most of it visiting earth and human run space stations instead of other planets or London in [time period].

I would love new Doctor Who so much more if he occasionally went back in time and hung out with confused Historical figuires again.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

I would love new Doctor Who so much more if he occasionally went back in time and hung out with confused Historical figuires again.

Given that every single historical figure they've run into, with the exception of Vincent van Gough, has been loving terrible I'm pretty glad they don't do it that often.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I wish I could get into Doctor Who but I just can't get over how tacky it all seems. I know it's made so kids can enjoy it too but I think the concept of it is awesome. If it was more mature and darker like a sort of cross between BSG, The Dark Knight and almost film noir style I would definitely get into it. Alas that will never happen.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flatscan posted:

Given that every single historical figure they've run into, with the exception of Vincent van Gough, has been loving terrible I'm pretty glad they don't do it that often.

Charles Dickens should have been partying with prostitutes in that christmas special dammit.

The problem is mainly these dumb arse writers and bland CGI which has been already pointed out. I'm amazed people still think bland CGI is the answer considering despite the money they made in the short run people treat the Star Wars prequals with complete contempt.

I'm amazed we're going through the 'WHOAH 3D' fad again actually. For the 3rd time.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Charles Dickens should have been partying with prostitutes in that christmas special dammit.

Forgot about him, the pretty good Eccleston season tends to get crowded out of my mind by the horrors of the Tennant years. I was thinking more of Queen Victoria and Shakespeare and loving Agatha Christie, all bloody horrible episodes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flatscan posted:

Forgot about him, the pretty good Eccleston season tends to get crowded out of my mind by the horrors of the Tennant years. I was thinking more of Queen Victoria and Shakespeare and loving Agatha Christie, all bloody horrible episodes.

Get that woman away from my History.

I haven't seen those ones, my interest in the Tennant ones sort of faded halfway in. My only regret is not seeing the one with the 5th Doctor in it.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Flatscan posted:

With the exception of Madame de Pompadour :cop:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Lord Dekks posted:

The thing about BSG and Star Trek (that i touched up on in my last post which was made at retarded o'clock in the morning) is that in those shows, the setting itself is what shapes the character's actions. You may have somewhat typical love/hate/death/drama/betrayal plotlines, but they're heavilly influenced by the world that it's all set in, either directly or indirectly.

New Doctor Who doing nothing but fart around on Earth is an example of this. Here's a character who has been literally defined as one who can go to any place at any time, with this vast array of colourful enemies to battle against throghout the universe, yet all he does is dick around on earth dealing with the same contrived human type dramas you see in every other show. It's more like Doctor Phil with a magic screwdriver than Doctor Who.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

BisonDollah posted:

This thread needs more Limmy love, as far as the first series goes there's a lot of remakes from the videos on his site - so if you enjoy those then you'll be happy with paying money for the DVD.

http://www.limmy.com/videos/

All of them are really worth a watch, especially loved the earlier ones back in the day because if you find someone who knows them the drunken quotes feed brilliant banter.
yeah I've been watching Limmy's stuff recently and it's brilliant, his sense of humour is just ace and I've never seen anyone do stuff quite like it. Dee Dee in particular is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mYoEpVXFbs

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 12, 2018

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Paperhouse posted:

yeah I've been watching Limmy's stuff recently and it's brilliant, his sense of humour is just ace and I've never seen anyone do stuff quite like it. Dee Dee in particular is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mYoEpVXFbs

Keep an eye out on tomorrow's show, he'll be doing a sketch based on this character he created one night on webcam (he does a lot of webcam sessions with maddies who want a laugh).

I present "The Eckied Da".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTOiXWXeqVo

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

M1TCH3LL posted:

Been watching/listening all day and quite enjoyed it so far. It's an unpopular opinion here, but I listen every day to his show and he's a big reason as to why I got into radio myself.

It's going to be a hell of a lot better come tomorrow though, when he's shattered and narky and will probably say some things he probably shouldn't.

It's sort of starting already. The lead story on Radio 1's news all day has been about both people and the police not taking stalking seriously. Twenty minutes before Newsbeat right now, and they're all making jokes about a stalker Paul O'Grady had getting headbutted by a sheep on his farm. Not the sort of thing you're going to get any complaints for, but certainly something he'd have the foresight to avoid if he hadn't been on for coming up 11 hours.

N3RDSTER fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 16, 2011

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I that Lily Allan show was pretty entertaining. The camera's not shying away from the fact that she's obviously vastly out of touch with ordinary people, pretty selfish, quite obnoxious and a bit thick. Despite the retarded nonsense she spouts, she still somehow doesn't come across as a total wanker, though.

The other people she's working with - her sister, the consultant and that woman who used to work for Vogue or whatever - all seem pretty grounded and interesting, and it will be amusing to see who eventually snaps and destroy's Lily's dreams.

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008
i like both Lily Allen and Chris Moyles. don't listen to her music and radio one is poo poo other than his show though. thats basically my issue with this marathon show is that on the Chris Moyles show they play gently caress all music, and when they do its only tolerable chart stuff, whereas now he has to play at being Fearne Cotton and Greg James and play music.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 12, 2018

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

hounslow rob posted:

i like both Lily Allen and Chris Moyles. don't listen to her music and radio one is poo poo other than his show though. thats basically my issue with this marathon show is that on the Chris Moyles show they play gently caress all music, and when they do its only tolerable chart stuff, whereas now he has to play at being Fearne Cotton and Greg James and play music.

Why would you like Lily Allen if you havent listened to either of her albums? She's pretty much done nothing else and is a completely reprehensible person otherwise.

Also, irony detection boxes across the nation exploded this evening when viewers watched the last section of the C4 news. :suicide:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kin posted:

Also, irony detection boxes across the nation exploded this evening when viewers watched the last section of the C4 news. :suicide:

Could you explain for those of us not watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

marktheando posted:

Could you explain for those of us not watching?

It's on 4+1 if you want to watch it in all it's glory yourself, but basically the segment was going on about how sensationalised everything is relating to nuclear power.

edit: in the same show that half an hour earlier declared the stuff going on in Japan as "the worst nuclear disaster in history, after chernobyl" followed up by Jon Snow slyly trying to call the Japanese politician he's interviewing a giant loving liar.

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 16, 2011